Conquer Club

A simple OT guide-Why are the site moderators allowing this?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

A simple OT guide-Why are the site moderators allowing this?

Postby TeeGee on Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:48 am

1) This was not allowed in the past

The site has undergone 2 ownership changes and many changes to the mod and admin teams. The current view taken by the moderating team is one of tolerance, understanding, acceptance and leniency. Just because it wasn't allowed under the previous administration does not mean we shouldn't allow it.

2) Joe Bloggs is posting stuff I disagree with

That is NOT a valid reason for a report. If you disagree with the topic/post in question then,
ignore, foe, or debate
BUT DO NOT
name call, harass or in general terms flame the individual.

3) Joe Bloggs is a atheist/member of the Taliban/christian/left wing activist/right wing activist, so why is he allowed here

Again, not a valid reason for a report. If someone has opposing views then see point 2.

4)Keep it in the realms of OT

Since putting this up a few of you have decided to push the boundaries in regards to posting in other forums. This is only likely to result in pissing off the other mods and admins which would result in reverting back to strict control. I do not want that and neither do any of you. We are only here for fun, so lets keep it here.

NOTE: This will be added to as required.
Kotaro wrote:TG for site owner 2020
Field Marshal TeeGee

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

Re: A simple OT guide-Why are the site moderators allowing t

Postby GabonX on Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:43 am

mod edit: removed
Spazz Arcane wrote:If birds could swim and fish could fly I would awaken in the morning to the sturgeons cry. If fish could fly and birds could swim I'd still use worms to fish for them.
saxitoxin wrote:I'm on Team GabonX
Captain GabonX

Postby GabonX on Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:23 am

GabonX wrote:mod edit: removed

On what grounds was this removed?
Spazz Arcane wrote:If birds could swim and fish could fly I would awaken in the morning to the sturgeons cry. If fish could fly and birds could swim I'd still use worms to fish for them.
saxitoxin wrote:I'm on Team GabonX
Captain GabonX

Postby Metsfanmax on Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:29 pm

It is a sad day in internet censorship when you have to explain why something is allowed instead of explaining why something is not.

Really though, a PM to universalchiro would have been sufficient. You didn't have to make a whole thread about it.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby Army of GOD on Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:34 pm

Who the f*ck is Joe Bloggs
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:48 pm

Army of GOD wrote:Who the f*ck is Joe Bloggs

Probably me. I'm the only atheist/member of the Taliban/christian/left wing activist/right wing activist that I know.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby muy_thaiguy on Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:19 pm

When I and others of the old guard joined (2006 and 2007), rules were pretty lenient for the most part (though Reverend Kyle got banned for what would be pretty tame stuff in the Hot & Sexy Women thread by wicked way back then, and certain things as outlined by the guidelines would be a bannable offense, but still), and even in the forum guidelines it said to not be a whiner.

Then all of a sudden there was a crack down on a lot of posts when lack stepped down and the then new ownership took over. And now we're letting back guys who had been banned for years (dagip and xtratobasco for example) and loosening back up?

I just want consistency, that's all.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:39 pm

muy_thaiguy wrote:When I and others of the old guard joined (2006 and 2007), rules were pretty lenient for the most part (though Reverend Kyle got banned for what would be pretty tame stuff in the Hot & Sexy Women thread by wicked way back then, and certain things as outlined by the guidelines would be a bannable offense, but still), and even in the forum guidelines it said to not be a whiner.

Then all of a sudden there was a crack down on a lot of posts when lack stepped down and the then new ownership took over. And now we're letting back guys who had been banned for years (dagip and xtratobasco for example) and loosening back up?

I just want consistency, that's all.

I think your timeline is way off. I've been here almost four years now, and in that time there's never been a serious crackdown of any kind. The ocassional isolated ban of some of the more extreme offenders, but nothing resembling an across-the-board "crackdown." Standards got gradually slacker and slacker, that's been a pretty consistent tendency the whole time I've been here. The tendency accelerated after BigWham took over, but it was already well underway before that.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:55 am

In the past 4 years, both Woodruff and pimpdave have been banned. Those are both major events which have led, indirectly, to civil wars in Ukraine and Iraq.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:02 am

DoomYoshi wrote:In the past 4 years, both Woodruff and pimpdave have been banned. Those are both major events which have led, indirectly, to civil wars in Ukraine and Iraq.

My friend, you should know better than to confuse correlation and causation.

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:02 pm

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:45 pm

TeeGee wrote:1) This was not allowed in the past

The site has undergone 2 ownership changes and many changes to the mod and admin teams. The current view taken by the moderating team is one of tolerance, understanding, acceptance and leniency. Just because it wasn't allowed under the previous administration does not mean we shouldn't allow it.

2) Joe Bloggs is posting stuff I disagree with

That is NOT a valid reason for a report. If you disagree with the topic/post in question then,
ignore, foe, or debate
BUT DO NOT
name call, harass or in general terms flame the individual.

3) Joe Bloggs is a atheist/member of the Taliban/christian/left wing activist/right wing activist, so why is he allowed here

Again, not a valid reason for a report. If someone has opposing views then see point 2.

NOTE: This will be added to as required.

Not that surprised, but WOW! Talk about goosebumps!

Would have loved to see 'just because someone disagrees with you does not automatically mean they are guilty of hate speech' We are so ripe for a dictator. I guess it's only natural after losing Freedoms for so long many do not remember what it was like or what the reason was. All that seemingly matters is stroking our own egos, not being offended, building a bubble all around ourselves and avoiding at all costs the slightest challenge to our 'comforting' world view. My world view has changed over the years in some ways, so I have acquired the wisdom to realize it's likely to change again in the future. To the contrary, I've immersed myself in opposing views, I love to hear all the differences and all the reasons and challenge myself and my personal experience along with my thoughts and what I have learned from others in light of new information.

Those examples in the OP, that's Big Brother. I am glad ConquerClub admin and mods have staved off the seemingly inevitable creep of tyranny. It's an exceedingly rare example of doing the right thing in a world full of 'it doesn't matter what's right, it only matters what we say' And yes, it is tyrannical...as the examples listed go far beyond simple homogeneous political correctness and into the realm of sanctioned discrimination, forced ideals with no room for even the slightest questioning, stamping out of any free speech, free ideas, and any exchange of the two. What the heck people? How is anyone supposed to ever learn anything?? If you really can't handle anything other than your own opinion, I suggest never speaking to another person again and taking great caution to only associate with people who think and speak and do exactly as you do. Have fun trying to develop as a human being though, as most likely you will be sitting in front of a mirror talking to yourself about how everyone else is so dumb, and why can't everyone be perfect just like you? I thought everybody wanted a world of diversity and tolerance? Guess wanting something and being able to handle something are two completely different things.

One thing that has always helped me..."tolerance of others is the price we have to pay if we expect others to tolerate ourselves."

BTW, any way I can get credit for my double posting ban and necrobumping ban? They were both so ridiculous people don't even believe me, as well as both ulteriorly motivated.
Last edited by Phatscotty on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Major Phatscotty

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:51 pm

Hey, PS. How many reports have you filed against other users?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:25 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:Hey, PS. How many reports have you filed against other users?

Curious, why do you ask?

I whipped out a 2 page response highly thorough and totally honest and it was posted here for anyone who got in the first 20 seconds of sending it, but I'm saving it until I find out why you ask. I figure you are always trying to play games with me, why should I give you exactly what you want time after time after time? It's all ready to go....EVERYTHING I feel on the issue you ask about, everything I have done and felt in my early years, all of it. Why I do what I do, and why I don't do what I don't, as well as detailed reasons for them.
Last edited by Phatscotty on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:37 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:Hey, PS. How many reports have you filed against other users?

Curious, why do you ask?

Should be obvious. If you believe in just letting people say whatever they want, then you should have filed precisely zero reports ever. If you have filed reports, then that makes you a... wait for it... hypocrite!

I whipped out a 2 page response

Doesn't take two pages to give a number.

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:46 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

Curious, why do you ask?

Should be obvious. If you believe in just letting people say whatever they want, then you should have filed precisely zero reports ever. If you have filed reports, then that makes you a... wait for it... hypocrite!

I whipped out a 2 page response

Doesn't take two pages to give a number.

And then there is the rest about everything else but the number.....and like I said and will repeat, as is habit with you, BBS usually plays games with me skipping over the topic or a direct question in order to come to a far flung irrelevant negative conclusion....making me feel like dealing with him honestly and respectfully might not be warranted. Why should I always give him clear concise answers time and time and time again? In short, MYOB and be patient.

I know at least BBS has the ability to be reasonable if he wants to be. However, your answer offers zero input concerning the issue I ask him about, but I notice you got your name call out of it, based on a conversation that has not even happened yet.....
Last edited by Phatscotty on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:53 pm

Phatscotty wrote:BBS always plays games with me skipping over the topic or a direct question in order to come to a far flung irrelevant negative conclusion.... why should I always give him clear concise answers time and time and time again?

Because reasonable adults don't think that two wrongs make a right. Only children do what you are proposing.

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:57 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:BBS always plays games with me skipping over the topic or a direct question in order to come to a far flung irrelevant negative conclusion.... why should I always give him clear concise answers time and time and time again?

Because reasonable adults don't think that two wrongs make a right. Only children do what you are proposing.

LOL, glad you are putting your foot directly in your mouth. I know the only thing you are here to do is insult me and try to smear me (since the conversation you are commenting on has not happened yet), so do your thing. I can't stop ya. And when I do release the 2 pager, based on a ton of experience, I know it will just go in one ear and out your other, so really I'm not too interested in wasting time with you.

I can handle your opinions. You should try working on tolerating other people's opinions, and that when they don't agree it doesn't mean they like to burn babies alive and they don't automatically deserve to have horrible things said about them and followed around everywhere they go to have those things repeated about everything they say everywhere else.
Last edited by Phatscotty on Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:00 pm

Phatscotty wrote:And when I do release the 2 pager

Not interested in the "2 pager." BBS asked for a one word answer. That's all I'm interested in reading.

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:20 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:And when I do release the 2 pager

Not interested in the "2 pager." BBS asked for a one word answer. That's all I'm interested in reading.

I'm aware of what you are interested in, and you are aware when that's gonna happen. I have always been interested in straight up answers from you as well, while rarely receiving them. While it doesn't matter what I say and your mind is clearly already made up without the information; let's stop with the pissing contest in this thread. You got your negative comments in, you'll have to wait until I drop an honest answer, and then you can go right back to calling it all lies and whatever else negative you need to say about me. Like I'm gonna start telling lies about what everyone knows to be the truth??? Give it a rest Mets.

You want to attack me and hurt me? Save it for the ring.
Major Phatscotty

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:28 pm

GUYS, STOP FIGHTING. YOU'LL MAKE BBS CRY.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:29 pm

Phatscotty wrote:you'll have to wait until I drop an honest answer

I'll wait. But if the post is longer than one sentence, I'm not reading it, because that means you're not answering it.

Postby Serbia on Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:46 pm

Is it cool if this therrad gets highjacked? Cause, it's like, totes been jacked.

Bollocks.
CONFUSED? YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU'RE RIPE
saxitoxin wrote:Serbia is a RUDE DUDE
may not be a PRUDE, but he's gotta 'TUDE
might not be LEWD, but he's gonna get BOOED
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:58 pm

ITT: PS is a hypocrite.

Given all his fears about CC or the US turning into a tyranny, he overlooks the fact that a minority (CC) or a majority (uninformed voters) can use the political process to their own ends, thus creating a tyranny of the majority (possibly US) or a tyranny of the loud, crybabies (CC). Rampant reporters demand the most attention from the mods, who will perceive that there is a problem that usually requires a warning or teh ban hammer.

If more reports were ignored, we'd shift less into tyranny, but lo and behold!, Phatscotty, the reporter, has been contributing the very means which has brought CC into tyranny. He himself has bent CC to his own demands--regardless of his proclaimed ideas. He will now break down in tears in 3... 2... 1...
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:00 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:GUYS, STOP FIGHTING. YOU'LL MAKE BBS CRY.

--Andy

Fear not, Andy! I have steeled myself for this very day. And on this day... WE FIGHT FOR FREEDOM!!!!

(tomorrow, we take the day off).
Major BigBallinStalin

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,