Conquer Club

CC Language Guidelines

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: CC Language Guidelines

Postby owenshooter on Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:29 am

Buffaloed wrote:*bigotry*

i love how you violate the bigotry guidelines in an effort to have them clarified... enjoy that first warning...- the black jesus has spoken... Jésus noir
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:18 pm

Buffaloed wrote:
Buffaloed wrote:CC states that the site is "liberal on coarse language". Would it have been OK for him to use a different word? How about Asshole? Cunt? Those are coarse, but are they acceptable? I've been called those names in chat by some of the more juvenile members around here - usually with the "f**king" in front of them. Typically it's because they didn't like that I attacked them when there were weak. Should I report them for flaming me?

I was on a different thread with Caff, and he cleared up what was confusing me. Caff made the point that the terms above (asshole, cunt, etc.) might be offensive aren't considered bigotry, while his use of the term "faggott" was viewed as bigotry by the mods, so he got a warning. I can see that - and in my previous comment I was not trying to defend what happened - just seeking to understand.

So I've come up with what I'll call the "Caff Test" to determine if a word should go on the "list" that Caff has asked for. All we need to do is substitute any potentially offensive term into what Caff said, and determine if a group of people might consider it to be bigotry.

Caff's original comment was: 2014-09-20 14:11:16 - iAmCaffeine: Have you stopped whining like a faggot now?

So here are a few examples to see how the test might work. For each word, ask yourself if the sentence could be considered bigotry.

Have you stopped whining like an ASSHOLE or CUNT now? - probably not bigotry, don't put any kind of standard obscenity on the list.
Have you stopped whining like a JEW, CHRISTIAN, MUSLIM, ATHEIST, ETC. now? - religious bigotry, put all religions on the list
Have you stopped whining like a HONKY now? - racial bigotry, put it on the list along with the names of ALL racial groups
Have you stopped whining like a RETARD now? bigotry based on disability, put it on the list along with all maladies and afflictions (did not choose my own class - sorry).
Have you stopped whining like a MANCHESTER UNITED FAN now? could be bigotry, depending on how far you want to go with this. . . .
Have you stopped whining like a BLACK JESUS now? looks like it hits two categories to me.

I can think of lots of words that would make the list. Just substitute any term that describes any group of people - whether it is based on religion, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual preference, etc.

I'm not trying to be a smartass here, or at least not too much. (Have you stopped whining like a SMARTASS now? - not bigotry. Whew!) Just trying to point out that creating a list of words wouldn't be hard to do, and might be worth the investment of time. There was a previous comment in this thread about how the current guidelines are vague - TeeGee said "they are very open to interpretation and I don't think that they should be." I agree.

So let's make a list. We could use the wisdom of the crowd. Anybody could add a word if they personally would feel that using it would be bigotry.

The reason why general rules are superior to outright prohibition is that general rules allow for people to joke amongst themselves. E.g. in the Third Crusade, references to Crusaders destroying the Islamic scum and vice-versa are nearly always fair game.

When specific rules are created, the possibilities of well-being from humor are significantly decreased. Furthermore, specific rules enable a greater likelihood for people, motivated by vengeance from a game loss, to abuse the enforcement of rules.

Also, with general rules, people can say, "hey, man, that's not cool," and it's up to the other party, who didn't intend harm, to correct that. With specific rules, the responsibility for people to enforce codes of conduct among themselves is shifted toward the mods, who will be increasingly at the mercy of enforcing the command of cry babies.

Let's not put the rules in the hands of crybabies.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:21 pm

owenshooter wrote:

i love how you violate the bigotry guidelines in an effort to have them clarified... enjoy that first warning...- the black jesus has spoken... Jésus noir

Buffaloed, would you want people like owenshooter to victimize even more users--due to the enforcement of specific rules?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby owenshooter on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:40 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
owenshooter wrote:

Buffaloed, would you want people like owenshooter to victimize even more users--due to the enforcement of specific rules?

now i am victimizing users?!!! ha!!!! and as a mod already stated, i am not a prolific reporter and my reports are valid. so, please continue to blame me for whatever it is you feel i do, i find it laughable... the black jesus is amused...-Jésus noir
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby rhp 1 on Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:58 pm

again.... general guidelines interpreted by mods is the only thing that makes sense... if the mods are biased or inconsistent? oh well... go to another site. but that's why they're here.. a list of words to not be used? simply silly if you think about it.. and btw, when in doubt? don't be a fkn dumbass. use better words.
Lieutenant rhp 1

Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY

Postby betiko on Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:17 am

Apparently, it s fine to call someone Gary on this site. If you call someone Bruce you ll get a report for bigotry and homophobia. That s not fair.
Major betiko

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:48 pm

rhp 1 wrote:again.... general guidelines interpreted by mods is the only thing that makes sense... if the mods are biased or inconsistent? oh well... go to another site. but that's why they're here.. a list of words to not be used? simply silly if you think about it.. and btw, when in doubt? don't be a fkn dumbass. use better words.

Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby TeeGee on Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:22 pm

betiko wrote:Apparently, it s fine to call someone Gary on this site. If you call someone Bruce you ll get a report for bigotry and homophobia. That s not fair.

But, what if it is Bruce you are talking too?
Kotaro wrote:TG for site owner 2020
Field Marshal TeeGee

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

Postby BoganGod on Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:00 am

It is only bigotry if you couple Bruce with any of the following words - mother, basement, job, balanced, sexy, relevant, insightful

These are my words, the words of a non bruce. Grouse day for it eh?
Sergeant 1st Class BoganGod

Previous

Return to Conquer Club Discussion