Conquer Club

[Beta] - Krazy Kingdoms

Maps that may be nearing the end of production. Finalize maps here, while testing.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [Beta] - Krazy Kingdoms

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:31 pm

Sirius Kase wrote:Aside, Alien Overrun looks interesting. Is it available? I can see how that makes you less available here. Good luck!

Alas not yet.

We only test it one day a week these days so after four years we are just about finally finished.

you can follow it here https://www.facebook.com/AlienOverrun/

Thanks

=D13=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:35 pm

Sirius Kase wrote:Game 17765022

This is a sunny game in progress. It's barely started and someone noticed the problem with Map Inspect. I think this problem can be fixed by modifying the XML. I'm not volunteering to do it. I'd like to hear from dolomite. I've described the affect in my previous post. I believe if certain continents are split into two continents, with the normal territories in a continent with a 0 bonus and that continent is combined with the special territory, then that continent gets the bonus. As it is, the bonus lights up even when the special territory isn't owned. The game understands that a bonus isn't earned, but Map Inspect says that a bonus is earned. Take a look at the code for fanatics. It's a good example, but there are other examples, so it will take work in several parts of the XML.

If dolomite isn't available, I'll consider it. I can read the code, and I have that idea, but I don't know if I can fix and test.

It has been so long since I fiddled with this I wouldn't even know where to start. If someone else wants to take a stab at doing that then please do. Especially if that change will stop map inspect from losing its mind.

=D13=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Re: [Beta] - Krazy Kingdoms XML version 7b

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:37 pm

Donelladan wrote:Dwellers sucks because the bonus doesn't work properly ( at least last time I tried ) but otherwise it's 2nd best bonus. Could be almost as good as wizards if you fixed it.

Is this still true with the latest 7b xml?

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby Fuchsia tude on Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:22 pm

I feel like this map is a little too brutal if you get kicked off the main play area early on. It's nearly impossible to recover and develop any income after that, especially as the number of players increases. I realize you don't want to rework the gameplay significantly any more, but I wonder if it could be fixed with a simple tweak. Maybe making the kingdoms autodeploy +1? That would give a slight help to people to reenter the map after the beginning of the game, without helping anyone who actually has a power base on the map.

Plus, as a side effect, it would make eliminations via the Forbidden Lands slightly more difficult. The killer neutrals there could be reduced to 20 or so to make up for that? That too might make for a more interesting game, with that territory taken somewhat more often than currently.
Brigadier Fuchsia tude

Postby Symmetry on Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm

The KK map, would you consider the "human" example being randomised for skin colour? Just kinda awkward the whole KK map, plus the lore using stuff the KKK co-opted, plus the white dude as the "human"? I mean, if it was one thing...
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby hopalong on Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:15 pm

that would certainly solve all the bugs. bad carma (didnt want to use another post-j letter).

Symmetry wrote:The KK map, would you consider the "human" example being randomised for skin colour? Just kinda awkward the whole KK map, plus the lore using stuff the KKK co-opted, plus the white dude as the "human"? I mean, if it was one thing...
Major hopalong

Postby Fuchsia tude on Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:21 pm

Here's a screenshot from a recent game. It's fog, and it looks like I can attack from S4 to J1. But I am neither Murklord nor Lizardman, so why am I allowed cross that kingdom-specific chasm bridge between the two territories?

Brigadier Fuchsia tude

Postby Donelladan on Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:49 pm

It's a weird behaviour ( imho a bug ) with conditional border and polymorphic/team game.
Because blue is on S kingdom, blue could a attack J1 from S4, yellow therefore can "see" J1 but won't be able to attack it.

I reported the same issue on a different map here :
viewtopic.php?f=472&t=219622&p=4848317#p4848317
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby Fuchsia tude on Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:29 am

Oh, yeah, that's definitely a bug then. Neither of us can make that attack, therefore neither of us should be able to see J1; instead, both of us can see it.
Brigadier Fuchsia tude

Re: [Beta] question re Krazy Kingdoms

Postby sm8900 on Sun May 09, 2021 12:18 pm

how does this map actually work? can anyone please clarify? I appreciate any help. sorry, haven't been able to figure this out. i appreciate any info. thanks.
Private sm8900

Postby Donelladan on Tue May 11, 2021 4:35 am

First, if you're using the map inspect - forget about it.
This map used conditional border, and the map inspect doesn't understand it, therefore it's useless.

show: Conditional border

So you start with a kingdom and two special features, ( can be more kingdom/special features depending on number of players).
The special features ( regions on the right side of the map, Aquatic, Barbarian, etc... ) are "useless" region.
They are only here to indicate you which one you got, but you cannot attack them, or attack from them, and if you only got special feature you lost.

The kingdom.
From your kingdom you can attack your favored territories.

For example, if you have kingdom Human, letter P, from that kingdom you can all P territories on the map, P1, P2, P3, P4.
BUT ! You can only attack a territory from your kingdom if you have no territory on the map.
Therefore as soon as you take any of P1, P2, P3, P4 from you human kingdom, then you cannot attack from the kingdom anymore. Except if at some point in the game you have no more territory on the map, then again from kingdom you can attakc any of the 4.

First step is therefore to carefully choose which one of your 4 favored territory to attack.
Depending on your special feature some can be more interesting.
For example, let's say you have Kingdom Human P, and Cosmic special feature.
Cosmic special feature give you a +1 bonus for each region with a nuclear symbol. And P4 has a nuclear symbol. So if you have this combination of special feature and kingdom, take P4.
This is just based on your drop, sometimes you don't have any interesting region to take first.

Also, some special feature give you special path to attack. Dwellers, Aquatic ( allows you to take water region, but those revert to neutral), Cosmic, Demonic, Barbarians, and wizard.
All those special features give you special path to attack and are therefore, imho, the best special features. I won't describe each of them but you can find it in this thread somewhere pretty sure.

Blood towers
To finish the game, you need to take the Forbidden Lands, a 30 neutral that can bombard everything, including kingdoms. That is the only way to bombard someone kingdom.
To be able to attack the forbidden lands you need to have two territories that border two different blood towers.
Blood towers is for example the red dot with black circle between P2 and M2, or between V4 and F2.

To attack forbidden lands, if you have P2 and M2, you have two territories bordering the same blood towers, therefore it doesn't work.
If you have P2 and V4, then you have two territories bordering different blood towers, you can now attack forbidden lands.

Tip : don't bother about forbidden lands until you have full control of the map, there is no point taking it before that. ( unless you're playing escalating then to do a sweep ofc).
Forbidden lands is a 30 killer neutral, ( it resets ).

Last thing to know, you also have chasms, for example between M1 and S4, or between S4 and J1.
You can use this chasm to attack only if you are on your favored territory.
If you have P human kingdom, you can't attack M1 from S4 or S4 from M1.
But you can attack T4 from P1. ( not sure if you can attack T4 from P1 if you have P human kingdom, think so but didn't play the map since a while).
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby Fuchsia tude on Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:15 pm

Fuchsia tude wrote:I feel like this map is a little too brutal if you get kicked off the main play area early on. It's nearly impossible to recover and develop any income after that, especially as the number of players increases. I realize you don't want to rework the gameplay significantly any more, but I wonder if it could be fixed with a simple tweak. Maybe making the kingdoms autodeploy +1? That would give a slight help to people to reenter the map after the beginning of the game, without helping anyone who actually has a power base on the map.

Plus, as a side effect, it would make eliminations via the Forbidden Lands slightly more difficult. The killer neutrals there could be reduced to 20 or so to make up for that? That too might make for a more interesting game, with that territory taken somewhat more often than currently.

I'd still like to see something like this done.
Brigadier Fuchsia tude

Previous

Return to Beta Maps