Conquer Club

Africa Map [Done]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Africa Map [Done]

Postby lilwdlnddude on Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:29 pm

Ok. So since I saw people making maps for the website, I decided I also wanted to contribute. So I am in the prosses of making an Africa map. I will get a picture here as soon as I get some color on the map. lol. Probably later tonight I will get a picture on here. Once you see the picture then bombard me with sugestions. lol.
Lieutenant lilwdlnddude

minor set back

Postby lilwdlnddude on Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:50 pm

There s a minor setback, I am very sorry. :oops: The power just went out on my whole street, turning off my main computer on which i was creating the africa map. Luckly I was able to save most of my work. sorry for the delay. I will get a picture of the map asap.
Lieutenant lilwdlnddude

Postby DublinDoogey on Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:27 pm

An Africa map sounds really cool, it'll be interesting to see how you've created "continents" with borders since Africa doesn't have long mountain ranges. I'm guessing you'll use the dessert's? Anyway, I can't wait to see it.
Private DublinDoogey

map preview

Postby lilwdlnddude on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:25 am

Ok so here is a picture of the map. Dont freak out though, its not even close to being done. I just wanted to put something here to let you know that I was actually working on it. I was thinking rivers and lakes as non crossing borders?? let me know what you think. I'll get all the text on here later. Oh and just to let you know, I am using Adobe Photoshop to create this map.

Lieutenant lilwdlnddude

Postby molestar on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:21 pm

looking good
If you can't take the heat stay out of Siam
Sergeant 1st Class molestar

Postby SprCobra on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:39 pm

Thats alot of borders would be a good fight/struggle for control and a good laugh watching people constantly failing to hold a continet :lol:

btw good map
Cadet SprCobra

Postby Spiegelprime on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:45 pm

What's going on with Egypt and Nigeria split in two by uncrossable rivers? Are the seperate territories?
Private 1st Class Spiegelprime

Postby supermarcol on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:51 pm

Hmmm I counted 37 countries in your map. Is there any reason for that? you can't divide that by anything, so you'll always get neutral players. Try to go for something like 42(classic map). Making a map is fun you'll see, but theres a lot of tweaking and compromising, specially in the early stages. You really need to consider the balance of your map. The rivers will be essential to bring some playability in the map or no-one will ever be able to get a continent. Really study the classic map when you're going to be at the stage of putting continent bonus. There are some interesting discussions in the threads about the other maps that could be useful to you too. And I think the look is good.
-SuperMarcol
Sergeant 1st Class supermarcol

cool

Postby lilwdlnddude on Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:10 pm

thanks supermarcol. i think ill add a few more territories, and look for more major rivers in africa that i might be able to place in there.
Lieutenant lilwdlnddude

rivers

Postby lilwdlnddude on Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:18 pm

Spiegelprime wrote:What's going on with Egypt and Nigeria split in two by uncrossable rivers? Are the seperate territories?
No. Once you get either side of egypt the whole territory is yours. I dont know if thats going to be confusing for people to play like that or not. Same with that other territory in brown. I forgot what its called though. lol. But I will try to make it clear that it is one territory by number placement and where I put the territory name.
Lieutenant lilwdlnddude

Postby Machiavelli on Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:19 pm

Looks great, keep working on it. :lol:
Sergeant Machiavelli

Postby Marvaddin on Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:15 pm

I cant do any suggestions without names of contries / continents. But, seriously, is important a minimum of 42 countries (maybe more, if you want).

I also suggest you to study classic map. I posted already one table that can be very useful to you in another discussion about maps. If you want, I can post it here again. Its a table about number of countries, borders countries, attack routes... all for each continent. Even if you dont want copy classic map, do the table, so you can imagine what needs be changed in your map.
Major Marvaddin

updated

Postby lilwdlnddude on Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:04 pm

ok. so i made some minor changes in territories and put words on the map. now there is 42 territories. so this should make it easier to bombard me with suggetions and complaints. thanks for all your help guys.... or girls, whoever is suggesting things. is it just me or is it the smaller the territory, the larger the name?
Lieutenant lilwdlnddude

Postby craig84 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:37 pm

it looks beautiful, but u still have to put the little circles for the # of the armys too now this is one i can see on conquer club
Lieutenant craig84

Postby seamusmacdeath on Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:30 pm

The map looks great, but there are a few spelling mistakes that I noticed:

Runisia should be Tunisia
Ghan should be Ghana
Zaire really should be Democaratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo?)

Also, you should clear up the river situation in both Egypt and Nigeria because it is a little confusing. Perhaps make the rivers within a country a darker color or remove the white border from around the river?

One last thing, it will be difficult to see anything in the West Coast becaus the writing takes up so much space. Keep in mind that there needs to be room for the numbers that go on the map later.

Otherwise, great job and I can't wait to see the final product!

-Mike
(SeamusMacDeath)
Cook seamusmacdeath

Postby sam7214 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:49 pm

Pretty good map I'd have to say.
Cadet sam7214

Postby Marvaddin on Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:21 am

"is it just me or is it the smaller the territory, the larger the name?"
Oh, this is true... :lol: :lol: :lol:

One thing I want make clear: its not a geo map. Countries like Algeria, Congo and South Africa could be splited in 2 (or 3) countries, while that area called West Coast should count as 2 countries, 3 at maximum.

You will NEED re-group the countries, or this map will have no future. Make it now, or you will waste time and discover (too late) that its impossible mantain this configuration. Can you imagine these West Coast with a bonus greater than South Africa? And the names, the places for the numbers, the small version... it will not work.

The river problem is also true: no need to put rivers if they are not NON-ATTACKING borders (normal borders dont need a river, I mean).

I dont want to be a pain to anyone, Im only saying what I think. Im being sincere. I will wait until you re-group the countries. (Or I can send you my opinion about the country dispersion, but I need some days to think about.)
Major Marvaddin

ok

Postby lilwdlnddude on Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:16 pm

ok i will think about re-grouping countrys.
Lieutenant lilwdlnddude

Postby lilwdlnddude on Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:35 pm

just to let you guys know, i am still working on this. lol. i didnt abandon the idea yet!!
Lieutenant lilwdlnddude

Postby rocksolid on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:38 pm

Hey there,

Great work!

Small suggestion - renaming continents, because right now they're all named something Africa. This could get crazy controversial, but e.g. "North Africa" could be Maghreb, "West Coast" could be Guinea (I know it's the name of a country there, but the name has historically been used to refer to most of what you've got coloured purple, and if you're planning on amalgamating a lot of those tiny countries...), "Central Africa" could be Congo (once again, I know this is a country right now, but the river Congo is what geographically characterizes the region).

In terms of breaking it up so that the Continents are easier to hold, you could make the Sahara impassable - convert East Mauritania, Mali, south Algeria, Niger, south Libya, Chad and Sudan into non-countries, like an inland ocean. No disrespect to anyone who comes from there, but they're very sparsely populated for the most part...
Lieutenant rocksolid

thanks

Postby lilwdlnddude on Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:59 pm

thankyou i will concider thoes sugestions
Lieutenant lilwdlnddude

updated

Postby lilwdlnddude on Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:05 am

ok so I did a lot to this map. there are now 42 territories. rivers and mountains are not crossable. i regrouped everything so hopefully things are a little more playable. I corrected spelling errors and changed some names. please give me some suggestions on point values. and also as you can see im starting to add some texture to the picture as seen in the water and mountians. and constructive critisizm would be very much accepted. thanks everyone.

Lieutenant lilwdlnddude

Postby HighBorn on Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:46 am

looks great bro very colorful and looks very playable :)
Private 1st Class HighBorn

Postby Nobunaga on Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:26 am

... Nice map. It's shaping up quite nicely.

... Just one minor point, if I may. East Sudan and West - are they reveresed?

... This whole mapmaking thing.... gives one an education in geography, eh?

... Looks good!
Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby Marvaddin on Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:35 am

Much better... Now, let me see.

Continent, # countries, # border countries, # attack routes, comments

Guinea: 9, 3, 3. Not a fair name, because now it goes until Morocco. How about West Coast :lol: ? Bonus is ok.

Maghreb: 6, 5 :shock: , 5. An excess fo borders, I think. And I dont understand why not split some of these countries. This is the right place for the greatest continent. Add some barriers, because this way its much difficult to hold.

Horn: 6, 3, 4. Yeah, alike Maghreb should be... the bonus is ok.

Congo: 10, 6, 7. Connected to 4 continents, it will work like China in Asia map. Almost impossible, but its ok, and the bonus too. Maybe add 1 or 2 countries...

East Coast: 4, 2, 2. A classic South America. All maps need a continent like this. How about call it Southeast Coast?

South Africa: 7, 2, 2. Very very easy to hold... and to take east coast after. It needs some more connections. Can we find another name to it?

Yeah, its now a good map... some minor changes (I think), and it will be ready.
Major Marvaddin

Next

Return to The Atlas