Conquer Club

[EoA] Allow me to Stay Logged In

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Postby paulk on Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:55 am

:D I fixed it myself.

I made me an own little frameset on my own domain where I have a javascript counter show a refreshed version of "My Games" every five minutes.

No more logging in!!! :D I love it!
Major paulk

Postby Optimus Prime on Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:09 pm

Sometimes the laziness of players on this site really does amaze me. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby paulk on Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:30 pm

Necessity is the mother of invention. Laziness its father!
Major paulk

Postby john1099 on Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:39 am

I actually suggested this a while back, before I got FF, now, no more need ;)

Edit: for the t in got
Last edited by john1099 on Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GunnaRoolsUDrool wrote:yo mama has 3 titties, ones for milk, ones for water, ones out of order
Sergeant 1st Class john1099

Postby paulk on Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:48 pm

john1099 wrote:before I go FF

huh???
Major paulk

Postby john1099 on Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:50 pm

paulk wrote:
john1099 wrote:before I go FF

huh???

I meant before I got FF.
If you still don't know what I'm talking about I'll spell it out for you.

Before I (john1099) got (downloaded) FF (Firefox)

Get it,
Got it,
Good ;)
GunnaRoolsUDrool wrote:yo mama has 3 titties, ones for milk, ones for water, ones out of order

stop logging us out every 30 minutes

Postby Nous-irons on Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:59 am

Really, I don't see why CC has to log me out every 30 minutes or an hour or so. If it's for security reasons, let us choose, because I honestly don't see the point and it's highly inconvenient especially when you're trying to quickly get to your games.
Sergeant Nous-irons

Re: stop logging us out every 30 minutes

Postby Luke035 on Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:47 pm

Nous-irons wrote:Really, I don't see why CC has to log me out every 30 minutes or an hour or so. If it's for security reasons, let us choose, because I honestly don't see the point and it's highly inconvenient especially when you're trying to quickly get to your games.

It's especially a hassle for those of us who have 157 character passwords to type in each time...
Private Luke035

Re: stop logging us out every 30 minutes

Postby gimil on Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:48 pm

Nous-irons wrote:Really, I don't see why CC has to log me out every 30 minutes or an hour or so. If it's for security reasons, let us choose, because I honestly don't see the point and it's highly inconvenient especially when you're trying to quickly get to your games.

If you were in suck a hurry why are you inactive for 30 mins? Yes its a security things. One day you'll thanks them for it :wink:
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby wcaclimbing on Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:19 pm

The problem (one of many) is this:

1. You are playing CC at work.
2. Your office is in a public place.
3. Your boss calls you for a meeting and you forget to log off.
4. Your friends that know you love CC get on your computer and mess with your account because you forgot to turn it off.
5. You get banned because of something your friends did on your account.
6. You are screwed over cause you cant play CC anymore.

But when CC logs you off, it could keep your account safe from them.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby treefiddy on Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:11 pm

Most any work computer worth anything will lock itself after 5-15 minutes.
Sergeant 1st Class treefiddy

Postby AndrewB on Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:54 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:The problem (one of many) is this:

1. You are playing CC at work.
2. Your office is in a public place.
3. Your boss calls you for a meeting and you forget to log off.
4. Your friends that know you love CC get on your computer and mess with your account because you forgot to turn it off.
5. You get banned because of something your friends did on your account.
6. You are screwed over cause you cant play CC anymore.

But when CC logs you off, it could keep your account safe from them.

7. Keeping a user session 1h instead 30 min will increase a server resources demand (particularly memory) twice.
Lieutenant AndrewB

Postby john1099 on Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:59 pm

Honestly, there is no reason for it though.
If you have "remember password" on, then they can just sign you back in.
Also, if someone is going to hack your account, you can actually log on from 2 different places at once.
(I had someone babysitting my account, and they mis-understood what I said about time I was leaving, and they started to take a turn, and I was also on the account)

So, you should probably fix one of those problems, then it'll make sense :)

Postby maniacmath17 on Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:19 pm

It would still be nice to give players the option. When logging into my yahoo account, they have a check box asking if I would like to remain signed in for 2 weeks. I always have that box checked since I'm the only one that uses this computer and it saves me the trouble of signing in everytime.

Now i don't know anything about whether or not this would increase a server resources demand as andrew said, so if that is the case then don't bother.
show: Top Secret

2006-10-25 21:16:00 - NUKE: wtf it says dminus got 2 troops for holding oceania what is that lol
Brigadier maniacmath17

Postby ParadiceCity9 on Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:44 am

i think its every hour its signed out.
Corporal 1st Class ParadiceCity9

Postby Nous-irons on Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:08 pm

Whaaa?

I don't see how it increases server resources.

I'm just asking for the cookie or whatever to last longer, and not expire sooner.

Besides, gmail keeps me logged in for 2 weeks. I don't see why CC has to be so special. Security to me isn't an issue. It's just annoying, because I want to jump directly to my games, and I multitask a lot, meaning I like to click on one thing, then jump to another ... I'd rather not jump back to a screen anticipating looking at a map only to look at a login screen.

And for some reason, CC's login process is very laggy. Why is this? It seems to take much longer than many other sites, which just rubs salt in the wound.

The point is not about logging off the computer, but the fact that you may be writing (perhaps using google docs) or working on assignments, or doing other extended activities with your browser.

I mean, if I really wanted to I could find some way to get the cookie to last 999 years. There's really no good reason for keeping the session so short. Not even hotmail or yahoo lasts that short.
Sergeant Nous-irons

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:22 pm

It looks like the session length is set to 3600 seconds...or 1 hour.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Keredrex on Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:00 pm

maniacmath17 wrote:.........When logging into my yahoo account, they have a check box asking if I would like to remain signed in for 2 weeks. .....

That is not a good option one server demands as others have said, and two - unless i am mistaken always being logged on to yahoo can allow more problems with viruses, phishing programs or other people accessing your account... I personally don't trust the security yahoo says it has.... and i don't thin the club needs to addd that to there worries when logging off as they do now works fine.
Sergeant 1st Class Keredrex

Postby Optimus Prime on Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:36 pm

I just did a test run of 150 log-in sequences because I am that bored at the moment waiting for my wife to get home this evening.

Here are my times for opening my browser, clicking on my bookmark, and entering my username and password.

Average Time: 4.12 seconds
Quickest Time: 3.33 seconds
Longest Time: 4.88 seconds

Sooooo.....yeah, my vote is that logging in takes very little time and you should just get over wanting the site to cater to your lazy habits....
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby treefiddy on Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:37 pm

With all this security talk, I demand https://www.conquerclub.com/

Postby Optimus Prime on Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:39 pm

treefiddy wrote:With all this security talk, I demand https://www.conquerclub.com/

Wow, that certainly took a long time to get to. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:56 pm

treefiddy wrote:With all this security talk, I demand https://www.conquerclub.com/

Shit it says i have to install stuf, what do i do? :(
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby Nous-irons on Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:44 pm

Keredrex wrote:
maniacmath17 wrote:.........When logging into my yahoo account, they have a check box asking if I would like to remain signed in for 2 weeks. .....

That is not a good option one server demands as others have said, and two - unless i am mistaken always being logged on to yahoo can allow more problems with viruses, phishing programs or other people accessing your account... I personally don't trust the security yahoo says it has.... and i don't thin the club needs to addd that to there worries when logging off as they do now works fine.

99% of the other sites in the world requiring login (e.g. Wikipedia, gmail, as well as various other brands of forum software) aren't so annoying with logins.

Phishing and viruses are a mostly a matter of social engineering. (And if you use Linux, viruses aren't an issue -- if they were an issue to start with.)

The point is about being streamline -- I like to go from one site to another without constantly having to enter log in information, especially when I need to quickly skip to a thread.

You go a page, find you need to log in, and after you log in, it takes you back to the homepage rather than the page you were on! This is trivial the first few times but after the umpteenth time it becomes rather annoying.

Besides I think server activity would increase with the extra login activity, not decrease.
Sergeant Nous-irons

Postby Keredrex on Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:12 pm

Nous-irons wrote:....The point is about being streamline -- ....

yeah I would agree ... i usually use Mac's so viruses aren't a problem for me either... however... how much of the country.... or world for that matter... are still on DIAL-UP ... that alone tells you that the site needs to be catered to the world not the users who actually have impressive systems or massive "KNOW HOW" with computers.... just like how the maps have such limiting sizes.... when they could easily be massive high rez boards that take the most of a 17" screen.....again the masses don't have these capabilities.

I would love more streamlining but the club needs to be careful NOT to STREAMLINE out a bunch of users... or for that matter fix something that isn't really broken like Logging in...there are more important fixes or improvements that should come first

...also you could easily get a program like web desktop (for MAC) that has an auto refresh.... which if i remember correctly will keep you logged in.
Sergeant 1st Class Keredrex

Postby treefiddy on Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:23 pm

wouldn't eliminating the need to login every time you visit actually help Dial-up users? That's one less page to load up on every visit.

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions