Conquer Club

Confirm End Attack

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:25 pm

It'd be more helpful is people filled out the form...

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby P Gizzle on Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:51 pm

i have a problem of accidentally selecting the wrong country to attack. anyone else have this problem?
Gridiron Gang- CC's largest Clan!
Cook P Gizzle

Re: A suggestion

Postby hendy on Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:01 pm

corvuequis wrote:There have been a couple of times when I have hit the end attacks button with out meaning to, how about a pop up asking if we are sure that we want to end our attack?

maybe not a pop up but something sorta like when you delete a post it says are you sure you want to delete this post?
Sergeant 1st Class hendy

Re: A suggestion

Postby AK_iceman on Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:09 pm

hendy wrote:maybe not a pop up but something sorta like when you delete a post it says are you sure you want to delete this post?

Thats not a good idea either. Think about how many times you delete your posts. Do you delete your post every time?

Ok, now think about how many times you end attack/forts. Every time hopefully.
It just doesnt make sense to change it any more than it already has been.
Sergeant 1st Class AK_iceman

Postby x on Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:35 pm

I hit End Fortification accidentally a few times. It happens. Maximizing the window helps so they're not right next to each other. Maybe making the END ATTACKS and END FORTIFICATION buttons all caps would help make them stand out? Or maybe they'll make them more attractive to accidental clickers.
Private 1st Class x

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:16 pm

Maybe everytime the script loads the page, it could load the buttons in new and random points! It could be like a game of mystery and world domination all wrapped up in one!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby MeDeFe on Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:18 am

THAT is a good idea!
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Attack and End Attack, etc

Postby kc-jake on Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:01 pm

I keep having troubles with these two buttons. Several times, I've hit the "End Attacks" button instead of the "Attack" button, or I've done the same thing with the "Fortify" and "End Fortifications" buttons.

I have two suggestions to fix this problem: either add a javascript query asking, "Are you sure?" whenever you want to move to the next segment of your turn (attack to fortification, etc); or move the damn button down a bit, or at least out of that row. I think the first would be better though. :-D
I was a major back when 1600 was major. Now that I'm back, I get to easily win a bunch of games to get my rank. Thank the 'tards here who suck at this game.
imhot4jesus wrote:Literacy never hurt anybody.

Highest Rank: #154 (Oct 05 '06)
Highest Score: 1725 (Jul 18 '08)
Sergeant 1st Class kc-jake

Postby spiesr on Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:02 pm

It's has already been moved, so it's your stikin problem!
Captain spiesr

Postby hawkeye on Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:19 pm

NO POPUPS. There we go. w already moved the "end" buttont all the way right.
Cook hawkeye

Postby kc-jake on Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:51 pm

So move it down or something. Or add a confirmation checkbox. It's too confusing as it is.
I was a major back when 1600 was major. Now that I'm back, I get to easily win a bunch of games to get my rank. Thank the 'tards here who suck at this game.

Postby spiesr on Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:52 pm

No you are just mindlessly goofed.
Captain spiesr

Postby Ishiro on Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:03 pm

Are you playing in like 640x480 resolution or something? I'm only at 1024x768 and the buttons are plenty far away from each other.

As many people suggest in the many threads that get started on this topic... breathe, slow down, quit rushing your turn and pay attention to what you are doing. Zoning in so focused that you don't read the buttons you click is a bad thing, its how most spyware gets installed.
Corporal 1st Class Ishiro

Postby hawkeye on Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:20 pm

Don't play freestyle. Be slower. And, get a life.
Cook hawkeye

Postby Ronaldinho on Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:27 pm

hawkeye wrote:Don't play freestyle. Be slower. And, get a life.

ROFLMFAO!!
Sergeant Ronaldinho

Postby hawkeye on Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:54 pm

That was just a statement.
Cook hawkeye

Postby Herakilla on Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:03 pm

i use 1280 by 1024 pix and with some maps even then i have to scroll to the side to get to the end button so if you are still hitting these get glasses or something
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby kc-jake on Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:39 am

Is having a check box next to the "End Attacks" and "End Fortifications" buttons that yo have to check in order for it to end your turn that much of a hassle? All it does is make sure you meant to do what you just did.

Postby lackattack on Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:39 pm

Why yes, I think it is a big hassle to have to click a redundant checkbox each time I would attack.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby Ticma on Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:13 pm

I think he ment only for "END attacks" and "END Fortifications".
Sergeant Ticma

Postby zip_disk on Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:45 pm

Still it means everyone else has to go through an extra step because a small amount of people can't control their clicking.
Captain zip_disk

Postby cyberdaniel on Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:59 pm

This is a stupid idea. I don't know how people can mistake the attack button with the end attack button. I've played a lot of real time games and I never had a problem with this. Just pay more attention on what you're doing.
"Every battle has been won before it's been fought." Sun Tzu
Captain cyberdaniel

Postby kc-jake on Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:37 am

Ticma wrote:I think he ment only for "END attacks" and "END Fortifications".

Correct. If I hit the button to attack, I meant to attack. It's just the "end attacks" and "end fortifications" buttons that are mussing up my moves. And it happened to me again today for the 4th time, this time costing me a game, so I'm a bit miffed.

cyberdaniel wrote:This is a stupid idea. I don't know how people can mistake the attack button with the end attack button. I've played a lot of real time games and I never had a problem with this. Just pay more attention on what you're doing.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Your point would be valid if a) it weren't a statement based on a personal reaction to a personal experience and b) this was not a fast-paced real-time game. You have 24 hours to begin your move, and an hour to complete your move. I doubt lackattack had envisioned people would be racing to make moves like in most online version of Risk-based games, but that he wanted a game where people had time to make decisions.

Herakilla wrote:i use 1280 by 1024 pix and with some maps even then i have to scroll to the side to get to the end button so if you are still hitting these get glasses or something

I hope your resolution is working out for you. However, as any experienced web developer would tell you, "optimizing" a site for a certain resolution, browser, OS, or anything else of this nature is bad practice. One of the big pros the web has to offer is that no matter which of these you have, there is a common language spoken around the world: HTML. Besides, since when do you read a button anyway? I click a lot on each button, so every once in a while, I get them mixed up. And regardless, I don't need glasses, my vision is just fine. Thanks for the cop-out, though.

I'm also receiving a lot of criticism to "get a life", which is exactly the reason that I'm often hurried on here. I have a life, and I often am in a hurry because I have other things to do.

The debate here should not be "slow down," but "how can we better improve usability and KISS?" (Keep it simple, stupid.) I've been doing web development since the 90's, and have even worked for companies like Honeywell, so web design is nothing new to me. One of the more important rules of web design is that if the user has an action available to them that cannot be undone (usually deletion of an object), be sure they that's what they meant to do. A "mis-click" should rarely be irreversible. In this game, most actions cannot be undone, so there is a bit of wiggle room here.

However, given that I'm most probably not the only person dealing with this problem, I ask that a checkbox be placed nearby the "End Fortifications" and "End Attacks" buttons. Hell, if people don't want to have the checkbox, perhaps making it an option in user preferences would be the best option. This doesn't even have to be default, but it would be great as an option. I realize that not everyone wants to click on a checkbox twice each turn, but I, a consumer who has donated to the continuation of the game, would simply appreciate this little extra. Thanks.

Postby zip_disk on Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:10 pm

So you advocate "Keep It Simple" by advising us to add another step in the attack orders which is a process that is performed many, many times so that the small percentage of the overall group who actually have a problem are placated?
Captain zip_disk

Postby kc-jake on Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:45 pm

zip_disk wrote:So you advocate "Keep It Simple" by advising us to add another step in the attack orders which is a process that is performed many, many times so that the small percentage of the overall group who actually have a problem are placated?

You're taking my statement out of context. I was giving an example of good web practices that should be followed. When there is a problem, such as this, the solution should be simple. The solution is not to keep it simple, but the solution chosen should be simple.

And like I said, this should have to be "turned on" in the preferences section. How does this simple solution cause you a problem? The only mistake you could make is turning this on, since obviously you don't need it.

Unless Lack says explicitly "I am not going to do this because I don't want to/I don't have the time/It's just too stupid for me to include/<insert reason here>", I fail to understand why anyone has any criticisms to make about my idea at this point in time. I've taken feedback on the initial idea (I first suggested a popup window) and I've modified my original idea to make all parties happy. Honestly, I don't understand why anyone who isn't programming this themselves would prefer to not have this option available.

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions