Conquer Club

map creating

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

map creating

Postby crazymilkshake5 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:24 pm

what program would i use to create the map itself? not program it
highscore
Major crazymilkshake5

Re: map creating

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:25 pm

GIMP

Just Google it.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby MrBenn on Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:33 pm

If you have access to something better than GIMP (such as Photoshop) then go with that. otherwise you can settle for GIMP. Just don't use Paint!
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:45 pm

MrBenn wrote:If you have access to something better than GIMP (such as Photoshop) then go with that. otherwise you can settle for GIMP. Just don't use Paint!

Nothing is better than Gimp.

Once you go Gimp, you never go back.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Bruceswar on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:51 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
MrBenn wrote:If you have access to something better than GIMP (such as Photoshop) then go with that. otherwise you can settle for GIMP. Just don't use Paint!

You cannot be serious?
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Private 1st Class Bruceswar

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:55 pm

Bruceswar wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:

You cannot be serious?

The Image does not lie. ;)
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby The Bison King on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:00 am

Adobe Photoshop, or use your hands like man.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby grifftron on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:32 am

i use notepad
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby crazymilkshake5 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:38 am

haha i like how my thread became a conflice on which is better, GIMP or photoshop...
highscore
Major crazymilkshake5

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:47 am

Basically, if you have Photoshop or access to Photoshop, use that. Otherwise, GIMP is a nice, free alternative.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:55 am

Well, my theory is that some Photoshop users are just so pissed they wasted hundreds of dollars on a graphics software when they could have gotten one for free, that they feel compelled to bash GIMP whenever they hear it mentioned. It's sort of like a reverse buyers remorse: You've spent so much money on the product, you have to rationalize it to yourself and convince yourself the product is great, so you don't feel like you made a bad purchase.

I mean, I don't see any other reason why someone would step in to every thread where GIMP is mentioned and start raving on about the supposed superiority of Photoshop.

I just don't get it. Where does all that hostility come from? Even if you yourself use a proprietary software for whatever reason, you should still support the open source movement (including GIMP), because it's the one thing that's standing up to big patent troll corporations who think they can just keep on creating artificial scarcity on a market where none exists... who just keep on figuring out new ways to charge you for things that are supposed to be free. If they could slap a patent on air and charge you for breathing, they'd do it in a heartbeat.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:50 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:Basically, if you have Photoshop or access to Photoshop, use that. Otherwise, GIMP is a nice, free alternative.

-Sully

I have access to PS and still use GIMP. PS I found to not be intuitive and doubly hard to use. I spent a lot of hours trying to get to grips with it, trying new things to see what effect it gives with no pay off. I spent an hour looking at natty's gimp tutorial and went from there. GIMP is so much easier to use. Is it better than PS, no idea, and do not really care. I am sure someone like DiM will disagree and say PS is as easy to use but not in my case.

Either one is good, but as natty says, why spend a fortune on a product when a free alternative can give you the same results. It is not the programme you use, it is how you use it.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:28 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:Basically, if you have Photoshop or access to Photoshop, use that. Otherwise, GIMP is a nice, free alternative.

-Sully

I have access to PS and still use GIMP. PS I found to not be intuitive and doubly hard to use. I spent a lot of hours trying to get to grips with it, trying new things to see what effect it gives with no pay off. I spent an hour looking at natty's gimp tutorial and went from there. GIMP is so much easier to use. Is it better than PS, no idea, and do not really care. I am sure someone like DiM will disagree and say PS is as easy to use but not in my case.

Either one is good, but as natty says, why spend a fortune on a product when a free alternative can give you the same results. It is not the programme you use, it is how you use it.

I'm the opposite, but I suppose it's what interface you like. I've never bought Photoshop, but I've used it. I haven't found GIMP to be entirely intuitive, but then again, I'm an old man that doesn't exactly come from a technological generation.

-Baby Boomer
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:58 pm

Meh, I just prefer Photoshop because that was pretty much what I was trained on in school. I downloaded Gimp once, but I didn't take to it because I didn't want to figure out what every little icon was nor figure out each little nuance to each tool. I was accustomed to photoshop, so that's what I stick to...
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby The Bison King on Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:49 pm

I've never used GIMP. I tried downloading it earlier today, but it screwed up before it completed (my Comp hate downloading new programs for some stupid reason, I can't even run Google Earth :x )

Since I have photoshop I didn't really have a use for GIMP until I found out that you can make rotating globes!!!

does any one know if you can do that in photoshop since I can't get GIMP to run?

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby natty dread on Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:25 pm

The Bison King wrote:I tried downloading it earlier today, but it screwed up before it completed (my Comp hate downloading new programs for some stupid reason

The problem is probably with your internet connection. Try contacting your ISP.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Return to Foundry Discussions