Conquer Club

Suggested gameplay option - limit first turn advantage

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Suggested gameplay option - limit first turn advantage

Postby michio3483 on Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:23 pm

Suggestion: allow option that first turn for the first (selectable number of players) can only be used to place men and fortification (no attacking).

Reasoning: In lots of settings, first turn is way to big of an advantage. This levels the advantage by allowing the player to place men and fortify in preparation for the following players to use their turn to attack. In a 1 v 1 game (for example) the first player to place men and fortify effectively gets second turn, but gets to prepare and gets an equal number of bonus armies to start as the next player. Creator could also set so both players have a no attacking turn if they prefer. In larger games (ie 3, 4, 5, 6... player games), the creator decides how many players have no attacking turns.
Colonel michio3483

Re: Suggested gameplay option - limit first turn advantage

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:03 pm

Attacking is always an advantage - someone has to go first and whoever it is will have the advantage for that turn. This is almost exclusively an 'issue' in 1 v 1 games on certain maps. If you know what you're getting into, then it is what it is. Personally, I would say never play straight 1 v 1 games on maps and settings on which you can get screwed simply because you didnt go first. Also, just because someone goes first by no means is a guarantee that their turn will work out. I have had many games where I went first and struck out. Advantage to the second player in that situation.

In larger games, I'm not sure what the problem could be. Nobody wins a big game because they went first unless it's assdoodle or something dumb like that. I think utimately, it all mostly evens out.
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby michio3483 on Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:14 pm

While you may not like 1v1 games, it is probably the most popular game style. I would also argue that the advantage still substantially exists in larger games.

Also, the argument that “attacking is always an advantage” and “someone always has to go first” aren’t really counterpoints they are just restatements of the issues and the unfair advantage inherent. This minor change would create a lot of balance.
Colonel michio3483

Postby Silly Knig-it on Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:54 am

I have found that trench tends to someone limit that advantage as does poly, but nothing is going to take it away. One can shift who has it as your proposal would do.
Major Silly Knig-it
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:39 am

Silly Knig-it wrote:I have found that trench tends to someone limit that advantage as does poly, but nothing is going to take it away. One can shift who has it as your proposal would do.

Yuuuup.

Also, OP, I didn't so much restate the issue as I did explain why your idea doesn't solve a problem that really isn't a problem. Eventually, someone gets to go first. Whoever that player is will always have an advantage. You can let someone drop but not attack, but then the second player has the advantage. And I love 1 v 1 games - I've played more 1 v 1 poly than anything else and first turn is meaningless unless it's a tiny map where you can bonk out a color right away, and even then your opponent typically has the same opportunity. Lastly, find me stats on large games correlating first turn with wins. I dont see there being a connection unless it's some wonky assassin game. I'm betting that's a completely false assertion.
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby KraphtOne on Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:18 pm

There may or may not be a superior mobile app that allows an extra troop for having to go 4th, 2 for 5th and 3 for going 6th in the first round... it works pretty well. Something similar could work here. Or at least make it an allowable option for beta testing
Look on my works ye mighty and despair...
Major KraphtOne

Return to Conquer Club Discussion