Conquer Club

September 2018 - Assdoodle Speeders

An area holding all of the past and current Monthly Challenges.

Moderator: Community Team

September 2018 - Assdoodle Speeders

Postby groovysmurf on Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:02 am

Official Monthly Challenge for September 2018
Brought to you by the Community Team.

CLICK HERE TO JOIN WAITING GAMES - GOLD
CLICK HERE TO JOIN WAITING GAMES - SILVER
CLICK HERE TO JOIN WAITING GAMES - BRONZE

If you just want to check for all available games regardless of token colour:
LINK TO ALL WAITING GAMES

September SCOREBOARD

NO SIGN-UPS REQUIRED

SETTINGS
Map: Doodle Earth
Players Per Game: 6, 8 or 9
Game Type: ASSASSIN
Initial Troops: AUTOMATIC or MANUAL
Play Order: FREESTYLE
Spoils: ESCALATING, FLAT RATE or NUCLEAR
Reinforcements: UNLIMITED, PARACHUTE OR CHAINED
FOG: NO
TRENCH: NO
Round Limit: NONE
Round Length: SPEED - 1 OR 2 MINUTES
Joinablility: PUBLIC

MEDAL CRITERIA
Tokens are for WINS only.
54 POINTS are required for a medal and at least TWO DIFFERENT TOKENS.

Each GOLD Token is worth 6 points - 9 Players
Each SILVER Token is worth 5 points - 8 Players
Each BRONZE Token is worth 4 points - 6 Players

Notes
Colonel groovysmurf
Head Clan Director
Head Clan Director

Re: September 2018 - Assdoodle Speeders

Postby BabySasuke on Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:49 am

i love this one, would love to play, freestyle i just cant </3 next time, but love the challenge cheers comm team
Captain BabySasuke

Postby Swifte on Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:14 am

CatchersMitt14 ;)

Love the art for this one, well done EB!
Colonel Swifte

Postby Man from Modesto on Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:29 am

Looked great until.... assassin. Yuck.

Statistically, you must enter 81 games to earn challenge reward. That is if you play only gold and bronze games (each worth .666 points). Playing silver games, worth only .625 each, more games are required, 87.
Major Man from Modesto

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:09 am

Man from Modesto wrote:Looked great until.... assassin. Yuck.

Statistically, you must enter 81 games to earn challenge reward. That is if you play only gold and bronze games (each worth .666 points). Playing silver games, worth only .625 each, more games are required, 87.

The score threshold is based on the idea that if you play three games a day for the month, you are very likely to get a medal.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Man from Modesto on Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:28 pm

Dukasaur wrote:

The score threshold is based on the idea that if you play three games a day for the month, you are very likely to get a medal.

That is about equal to my stat-math... er, rather, business risk assessment math which assigns a value to an opportunity.

I appreciate this comment, Duke. It is what I hoped for... because, I want to open a discussion about what game load makes it interesting to pursue a monthly challenge. In this case, it is too high.

My second thought when I saw this was, ā€œThis is a point grab by whoever set this up.ā€ Freestyle, speed, assassin... those three are all subsets of the CC community. There are a few players who will clean up on those settings with little effort. Those players will achieve the objective, while most players who participate will just lose points.

So, the idea I want to convey to those who do the heavy lifting in setting these up is this: I want to play. But, the objective should seem possible in terms of game load and equality of opportunity across the spectrum of CC players.

Thank you for reading to the bottom.
Major Man from Modesto

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:50 pm

So glad to get this one started
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:07 pm

Man from Modesto wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

That is about equal to my stat-math... er, rather, business risk assessment math which assigns a value to an opportunity.

I appreciate this comment, Duke. It is what I hoped for... because, I want to open a discussion about what game load makes it interesting to pursue a monthly challenge. In this case, it is too high.

My second thought when I saw this was, ā€œThis is a point grab by whoever set this up.ā€ Freestyle, speed, assassin... those three are all subsets of the CC community. There are a few players who will clean up on those settings with little effort. Those players will achieve the objective, while most players who participate will just lose points.

So, the idea I want to convey to those who do the heavy lifting in setting these up is this: I want to play. But, the objective should seem possible in terms of game load and equality of opportunity across the spectrum of CC players.

Assdoodle games are almost all luck. There is some amount of skill, but it's more like a lottery than anything.

This challenge is an homage to the site from 2008-2010 when these games were popular and were played almost all hours of the day.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:09 pm

Man from Modesto wrote:

Three games a day doesn't seem very high, especially when Assdoodles usually finish if five minutes or less.

Man from Modesto wrote:My second thought when I saw this was, ā€œThis is a point grab by whoever set this up.ā€ Freestyle, speed, assassin... those three are all subsets of the CC community. There are a few players who will clean up on those settings with little effort. Those players will achieve the objective, while most players who participate will just lose points.

On a larger map I would tend to agree with you. However, the reason Assdoodles used to be so overwhelmingly popular is that on the tiny map it's basically luck-of-the drop. Either you end up next to your target and win or you don't. There's very little skill involved, so the advantage that the speed freestylers enjoy on larger maps is minimized. The best player on earth can't win one of these if he gets a shitty drop.

When I started on this site, there used to be hundreds of players playing Assdoodles all day and all night. The attraction, I think, was that they were super-quick, super easy games, and you could knock off dozens of them in a day. In this case, we are only suggesting you knock off three a day.

As far as losing points, you can say that about any luck-driven games. Given that everyone pretty much has an equal chance to win, if you're a high-ranker you'll tend to gain points, if you're a low ranker you'll tend to gain points. You could say the same about any tournament or contest. I think you've been around long enough to know that points come and points go. I was a colonel two months ago, I was a lieutenant two weeks ago, now I'm back to major. No points are permanent on this site. Unless you're currently pushing for Conqueror, I don't think you need to worry. The points you lose one month you'll gain the next month.

Man from Modesto wrote:So, the idea I want to convey to those who do the heavy lifting in setting these up is this: I want to play. But, the objective should seem possible in terms of game load and equality of opportunity across the spectrum of CC players.

Thanks for taking the time to offer input. Over time, we do try to cover all bases. No single Challenge can possibly please everyone. We've had many difficulty levels from incredibly hard to incredibly easy. If this really is something you loathe, then by all means skip this month. With a bit of luck next month's Challenge will be more to your liking. However, keep in mind that the primary mandate of the Challenges program is to get people to stretch beyond their usual limits. Too many people get stuck in a rut playing the same maps and settings all the time. The entire point of the Challenges is to help break people out of their ruts and try new things. I'll tell you right now that I'm a person who hates speed and hates freestyle, but I'm going to be attempting to reach beyond myself and I'm trying for this Challenge! Maybe you should give it a chance too; you might find it's not as bad as you think.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Silly Knig-it on Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:20 pm

Looked like fun, but freestyle is just a way to donate points to those who job or circumstances allow them to be near their computers.

So I pass.

(I think I have passed on all of them this year.)
Major Silly Knig-it
SoC Training Adviser

Postby groovysmurf on Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:25 pm

Thanks Swifte for catching my error there. :-)

If anyone has ideas for monthly tourneys they'd enjoy, please share these with us and we'll do our best to make them happen.

I very much agree these are not settings I like or would find much entertainment in playing, but everyone's different. It's impossible to please all unfortunately.
Colonel groovysmurf
Head Clan Director
Head Clan Director

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:27 pm

Tokens are not dropping correctly. Sent message to BW.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:29 pm

Silly Knig-it wrote:Looked like fun, but freestyle is just a way to donate points to those who job or circumstances allow them to be near their computers.

So I pass.

(I think I have passed on all of them this year.)

It's also speed though, so you actually need to be near the computer.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:38 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Tokens are not dropping correctly. Sent message to BW.

Fixed. Tokens should drop correctly from here on in. Anyone who won a game earlier and didn't get awarded correctly, you should get a token within 24 hours. If not, post game link here.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:08 pm

Dukasaur wrote:

Fixed. Tokens should drop correctly from here on in. Anyone who won a game earlier and didn't get awarded correctly, you should get a token within 24 hours. If not, post game link here.

Game 18500737 and Game 18500830

Link to View All Games Played

Link to View All Games Waiting
Last edited by Jdsizzleslice on Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby hopalong on Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:20 pm

is that jeremy? i always wondered who the doodler was behind the doodle.
Major hopalong

Postby groovysmurf on Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:23 pm

hopalong wrote:is that jeremy? i always wondered who the doodler was behind the doodle.

Jeremy? Like from the Pearl Jam song or am I missing something?
Colonel groovysmurf
Head Clan Director
Head Clan Director

Postby hopalong on Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:00 am

groovysmurf wrote:
hopalong wrote:is that jeremy? i always wondered who the doodler was behind the doodle.

Jeremy? Like from the Pearl Jam song or am I missing something?

GA for you, child of the 80s!

*groovysmurf edit - fixed that for ya...I already feel old enough at 38! :lol:
Major hopalong

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:11 pm

Jdsizzleslice wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

Game 18500467 and Game 18500026 and Game 18500737 and Game 18500830

Link to View All Games Played

Link to View All Games Waiting

Okay, there are two separate and distinct bugs here which hit us at the same time and confused the issue.

I hope I can make this explanation clear.

First, there was a bug in the coding of the Challenge. This was fixed yesterday, and the games started dropping tokens around 14:00 yesterday or whenever I posted that it was fixed.

Second, there was a bug in Game Finder which caused games with a round limit to be incorrectly displayed as having NO round limit. This one fooled us yesterday, but BW figured it out this morning. This has now also been fixed.

Some of the games that were played yesterday had a round limit and were not eligible for a token drop. The specs in the OP clearly state "No round limit." Under normal circumstances, we say that's your problem: check the specs carefully before making games. However, in this case, we will award tokens to those people who were in those games, because of the bug in Game Finder. Due to that bug, the search links in the OP would have misdirected people to join the round limit games. Now that the Game Finder bug has been fixed, that should no longer happen. From here on in, please double-check the specs and make sure you are not joining games with incorrect specs. We will only issue the replacement tokens for those games played yesterday or earlier today before the bug was fixed.

These are the games affected by the bug, for which replacement tokens will be issued:

The following games already had tokens drop correctly or replacements were already issued:

We should be good to go from here on in.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:14 pm

Why should all round limits not be acceptable? Has any game gone past 3 or 4 rounds?
Major DoomYoshi

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:19 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:Why should all round limits not be acceptable? Has any game gone past 3 or 4 rounds?

No particular reason, except that's how the spec was written and we don't like to change it once it's been posted.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby lokisgal on Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:25 pm

Making this FS cuts out anyone with out the fastest net systems. You cant win if your net is the zippiest. Ass doodle with either FS or standard would have been cool . This is impossible for many of us
Major lokisgal
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:51 pm

lokisgal wrote:Making this FS cuts out anyone with out the fastest net systems. You cant win if your net is the zippiest. Ass doodle with either FS or standard would have been cool . This is impossible for many of us

Assdoodles have traditionally always been freestyle.

I have crushingly slow internet and I'm not shying away from these. So what if I lose a few games? It's all experience. The mandate of the Monthly Challenges is to help people to get out of their predictable ruts and try new things.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby lokisgal on Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:18 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
lokisgal wrote:Making this FS cuts out anyone with out the fastest net systems. You cant win if your net is the zippiest. Ass doodle with either FS or standard would have been cool . This is impossible for many of us

I have crushingly slow internet and I'm not shying away from these. So what if I lose a few games? It's all experience. The mandate of the Monthly Challenges is to help people to get out of their predictable ruts and try new things.

Ass doodles have NOT always been traditionally FS. Nope . Playing FS is not a rut its something that your net speed determines. Couple that with the consistent lags on the site. Well ... Its no wonder when you click the find games button there is rarely one out there :roll:
Major lokisgal
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:23 pm

lokisgal wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

Ass doodles have NOT always been traditionally FS. Nope . Playing FS is not a rut its something that your net speed determines. Couple that with the consistent lags on the site. Well ... Its no wonder when you click the find games button there is rarely one out there :roll:

Check Game Finder.

138,000 assdoodles have been played, 110,000 were freestyle, less than 28,000 sequential. About a 4-to-1 breakdown.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Next

Return to Monthly Challenges