Moderator: Cartographers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIYspiesr wrote:YepColeman wrote:So in general the map should die even though the vocal minorities on the support side outnumber the vocal minorities on the kill side 2 to 1?spiesr wrote:KILL THE MAP!
I haven't been here very long, so I don't know this, but has Andy ever quenched a map which he didn't initially (or ever) like?Ruben Cassar wrote:Well I don't like the map but I never said so in the thread as I find that disrespectful. I also think it won't work in terms of playability. Think of how many people agree with Andy and Keyogi but do not voice their opinion because they see that the mods already gave the thumbs down. I am one of them.
I never called for development of small world to stop. I simply implied that it was a steaming pile of crap.Coleman wrote:I think this needs to be cleared up once and for all. Lets say we have a map being developed in the foundry and 15 or so people stop by to say they like it.
Then, 3 or 5 people show up saying that it has no appeal and want its development to stop. Andy and Keyogi also both personally don't like the map very much.
Who wins? Do Andy and Keyogi with minimal support carry enough weight that the map is denied to the group that wants to play it? Or is 15 foundry members enough to keep the map around at least until it is built to a finished state?
You mostly just play Classic anyways. I could see why you might not like it. But your opinion shouldn't mean I can't play it.Spockers wrote:I never called for development of small world to stop. I simply implied that it was a steaming pile of crap.Coleman wrote:I think this needs to be cleared up once and for all. Lets say we have a map being developed in the foundry and 15 or so people stop by to say they like it.
Then, 3 or 5 people show up saying that it has no appeal and want its development to stop. Andy and Keyogi also both personally don't like the map very much.
Who wins? Do Andy and Keyogi with minimal support carry enough weight that the map is denied to the group that wants to play it? Or is 15 foundry members enough to keep the map around at least until it is built to a finished state?

then i guess you love my Age of Merchants mapfreezie wrote:I don't like most of the maps beeing made, since they are too un-original. San fransisco ( Can't spell ), great lakes, name them...Well I see a lot of Real place maps who are almost all the same to me. I love originality, uniqueness....
DiM wrote:
then i guess you love my Age of Merchants map
on a more serious note we have a dilema here.
lets say somebody make a map with horible gameplay and sucky graphics. yet he somehow gets many people that suport the map. will the mapget quenched? do all maps need to have great gameplay? maybe some people want idiotic gameplay like plasagna.
i realy don't know what to say. not quenching such a map despite it's many supporters is dictatorship.
quenching it means the whole foundry process gets flushed down the toilet drain.

Obviously if there is a technical reason not to release it, like in the case of Eastern Front then it shouldn't be released. Eastern Front wasn't released because people didn't like it, it wasn't released because there were legitimate graphical errors.Ruben Cassar wrote:Coleman if we follow your logic then Qwert's map should be quenched since he got the majority of the votes in his poll. As you can see that is not happening and to be honest Eastern Front is kilometres ahead of World 0.5 or whatever it's called...too much time has been spent on a project which will never see the light of day.
yes i agree there were graphical errors that qwert could have easily solved but since he had the "MAIORITY" support isn't this kind of a breaking of the democracy system? again i have to propose my earlier example.Coleman wrote:Obviously if there is a technical reason not to release it, like in the case of Eastern Front then it shouldn't be released. Eastern Front wasn't released because people didn't like it, it wasn't released because there were legitimate graphical errors.Ruben Cassar wrote:Coleman if we follow your logic then Qwert's map should be quenched since he got the majority of the votes in his poll. As you can see that is not happening and to be honest Eastern Front is kilometres ahead of World 0.5 or whatever it's called...too much time has been spent on a project which will never see the light of day.
here is a map. bad gfx and bad gameplay. and yet somehow i'm sure this map would be perfect for a buildup game. i'm certain i could convince at least 40-50 or more people to vote for such a map.Evil DIMwit wrote:If it has majority approval, though, how do we know it's bad?DiM wrote: bad gameplay + bad gfx + approval of majority. will it get quenched or not?

If you can really convince more than half of the foundry to vote for that... I would be dramatically surprised.DiM wrote:here is a map. bad gfx and bad gameplay. and yet somehow i'm sure this map would be perfect for a buildup game. i'm certain i could convince at least 40-50 or more people to vote for such a map.Evil DIMwit wrote:If it has majority approval, though, how do we know it's bad?DiM wrote: bad gameplay + bad gfx + approval of majority. will it get quenched or not?
would it get quenched?
i'm 100% sure i can convince 30-40 people to vote for something like that. not necessarily veteran foundry members but none the less members of this site. i'm especially talking about build-up fans. i bet they would simply love a map where they get 100 or even more armies per turn.Evil DIMwit wrote: If you can really convince more than half of the foundry to vote for that... I would be dramatically surprised.