Except gun control groups aren’t having success.saxitoxin wrote:Jim is definitely one of the reasons gun control groups are such a success.
Jim being interviewed:
So ummm…
Moderator: Community Team
Except gun control groups aren’t having success.saxitoxin wrote:Jim is definitely one of the reasons gun control groups are such a success.
Jim being interviewed:
I’ll have to look into my Umbrella Policy. The Umbrella BTW, is sometimes tied to the Hime Insurance but it can be an entirely different policy. So your link isn’t really relevant.saxitoxin wrote:Keep hoping!jimboston wrote: I have Umbrella Insurance…. hopefully that would help.
-->
https://www.policygenius.com/homeowners ... f-defense/
Between this and 'couldn't I just finish off an injured burglar then tell the police he was attacking me', remind me never to be represented by you in a criminal trial.jimboston wrote:Also wouldn’t me accidental shooting an intruder in the middle of the night when he surprised me with a knife be an accident?
“I didn’t mean to kill him, but when he charged me I was startled and my finger accidentally pulled the trigger.”
jimboston wrote:1) You would be killed either way… regardless of the law. A warning just gives him MORE advantage.Dukasaur wrote:Stand your ground leads to unecessary violence.
You wake up in the middle of the night. Someone is in your house. You reach into your nightstand and pull out your Colt .38. You rush out into the hallway and see a shadowy figure moving toward you. With only a tenth of a second to make a decision, there's no time for any "hark, who goes there?" theatrics. You pull the trigger.
Some possible outcomes:I could go on and on. But the list of bad outcomes is infinite.
- The shadowy figure is an experienced killer. The slug from his gun rips into your aorta before you finish squeezing your trigger. Bam, you're dead.
- In your groggy state, you forgot the safety was still on. The shadowy figure didn't have a gun, but he's good with his fists. After he beats the shit out of you, he takes your gun and adds it to his pile of loot. You're lucky he didn't shoot you.
- You blast the shadowy figure straight to hell. Upon investigation, it turns out it was a local wino. He was looking for a place to sleep and you forgot to lock your back door. Just a wino, no big loss to society, but you good do you feel about killing him?
- The shadowy figure is a real criminal. You've killed him, and it's a good thing. He deserves to die. But you forgot about his two henchmen. You're not Lee van Cleef -- before the first one hits the ground, the others have already unloaded on you. They step over your body and proceed to go rape your wife.
Run away and chances are nobody will chase you. Yeah, you'll lose some money. But you'll live.
Nope. If you run away, chances are good that he will neither pursue you nor shoot you. Even habitual criminals don't usually kill for no reason at all. Waving your gun at him was what provoked him to shoot.
2) Again… if you warn him what happens? He still beats you.
Again, if you run away, chances are he will neither.... <etc.>
3) Wino dead, NBD. f*ck him, he shouldn’t have been in my house. Just the act of him winding up in my house is a threat to myself and my family. If he’s so drunk he doesn’t know/comprehend he’s committing a violent act by entering a home that’s not his… who’s to say he wouldn’t be so drunk to do something more violent? You say “just a local wino”… I say a threat and a drain on society.
Maybe. Or maybe this was a surgeon who has saved 1000 lives, but he took to drink and his life completely collapsed after his wife ran away with his best friend. Then again, maybe he really is a completely worthless piece of shit. I guarantee in the real event you wouldn't be as cavalier about it as you are now.
4) Again.. if there are 3 I’d be at a big disadvantage anyway. At least with a ‘Stand Your Ground” I can attack without warning and have a better chance. If I gave a warning… what happens? They tie me up and rape my wife? I’d rather die going down fighting and maybe have a chance.
Maybe if you and your wife stayed in your room and quitly called 911 they wouldn't even bother coming upstairs. Burglars are generally just trying to find money or easily converted valuables. Violence is almost always an afterthought.
I'm 99% sure your umbrella policy would hang you out to dry.jimboston wrote:I’ll have to look into my Umbrella Policy. The Umbrella BTW, is sometimes tied to the Hime Insurance but it can be an entirely different policy. So your link isn’t really relevant.saxitoxin wrote:Keep hoping!jimboston wrote: I have Umbrella Insurance…. hopefully that would help.
-->
https://www.policygenius.com/homeowners ... f-defense/
Also wouldn’t me accidental shooting an intruder in the middle of the night when he surprised me with a knife be an accident?
“I didn’t mean to kill him, but when he charged me I was startled and my finger accidentally pulled the trigger.”
Pack Rat wrote:if it quacks like a duck and walk like a duck, it's still fascism
https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p5349880
In all these scenarios you are relying on the GOOD WILL and morals of someone who has violently violated your personal property and entered your sanctuary in the middle of the night. There’s no way of knowing if the person/people are there “just to take your hard earned possessions” or if they are there to rape and torture your family. THERE IS NO WAY OF KNOWING THIS. Given that, and given the state of the world… the possibility that the person/people are drug addicts and therefore unpredictable… the wisest course of action is to assert control of the situation.Dukasaur wrote:jimboston wrote:1) You would be killed either way… regardless of the law. A warning just gives him MORE advantage.Dukasaur wrote:Stand your ground leads to unecessary violence.
You wake up in the middle of the night. Someone is in your house. You reach into your nightstand and pull out your Colt .38. You rush out into the hallway and see a shadowy figure moving toward you. With only a tenth of a second to make a decision, there's no time for any "hark, who goes there?" theatrics. You pull the trigger.
Some possible outcomes:I could go on and on. But the list of bad outcomes is infinite.
- The shadowy figure is an experienced killer. The slug from his gun rips into your aorta before you finish squeezing your trigger. Bam, you're dead.
- In your groggy state, you forgot the safety was still on. The shadowy figure didn't have a gun, but he's good with his fists. After he beats the shit out of you, he takes your gun and adds it to his pile of loot. You're lucky he didn't shoot you.
- You blast the shadowy figure straight to hell. Upon investigation, it turns out it was a local wino. He was looking for a place to sleep and you forgot to lock your back door. Just a wino, no big loss to society, but you good do you feel about killing him?
- The shadowy figure is a real criminal. You've killed him, and it's a good thing. He deserves to die. But you forgot about his two henchmen. You're not Lee van Cleef -- before the first one hits the ground, the others have already unloaded on you. They step over your body and proceed to go rape your wife.
Run away and chances are nobody will chase you. Yeah, you'll lose some money. But you'll live.
Nope. If you run away, chances are good that he will neither pursue you nor shoot you. Even habitual criminals don't usually kill for no reason at all. Waving your gun at him was what provoked him to shoot.
2) Again… if you warn him what happens? He still beats you.
Again, if you run away, chances are he will neither.... <etc.>
3) Wino dead, NBD. f*ck him, he shouldn’t have been in my house. Just the act of him winding up in my house is a threat to myself and my family. If he’s so drunk he doesn’t know/comprehend he’s committing a violent act by entering a home that’s not his… who’s to say he wouldn’t be so drunk to do something more violent? You say “just a local wino”… I say a threat and a drain on society.
Maybe. Or maybe this was a surgeon who has saved 1000 lives, but he took to drink and his life completely collapsed after his wife ran away with his best friend. Then again, maybe he really is a completely worthless piece of shit. I guarantee in the real event you wouldn't be as cavalier about it as you are now.
4) Again.. if there are 3 I’d be at a big disadvantage anyway. At least with a ‘Stand Your Ground” I can attack without warning and have a better chance. If I gave a warning… what happens? They tie me up and rape my wife? I’d rather die going down fighting and maybe have a chance.
Maybe if you and your wife stayed in your room and quitly called 911 they wouldn't even bother coming upstairs. Burglars are generally just trying to find money or easily converted valuables. Violence is almost always an afterthought.
I don’t have a gun… but have thought about it. I agree keeping it locked at night eliminates the actual value / usefulness in the event of a nighttime break in… and this is one thing I think about as I’ve considered getting a firearm.saxitoxin wrote:I'm 99% sure your umbrella policy would hang you out to dry.jimboston wrote:I’ll have to look into my Umbrella Policy. The Umbrella BTW, is sometimes tied to the Hime Insurance but it can be an entirely different policy. So your link isn’t really relevant.saxitoxin wrote:Keep hoping!jimboston wrote: I have Umbrella Insurance…. hopefully that would help.
-->
https://www.policygenius.com/homeowners ... f-defense/
Also wouldn’t me accidental shooting an intruder in the middle of the night when he surprised me with a knife be an accident?
“I didn’t mean to kill him, but when he charged me I was startled and my finger accidentally pulled the trigger.”
I pay $9/month for a USLS policy which provides coverage for legal fees for criminal and civil defense for a negligent discharge or self-defense incident (not just involving firearms). The drawback is you have to be represented by one of their attorneys. I think it's good to have anytime you own firearms, particularly in an oppressive anti-gun state. I even have it and there's zero chance I'd ever use a gun for anything other than sport shooting since I never concealed carry and, at home, I keep them unloaded with trigger locks (so it would be impossible for me to even access them in time if I actually needed for self-defense).
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
I have a strong gut feeling your wifes boyfriend has a concealed carry, so your wife and kids are probably gonna be ok Jim.jimboston wrote:I live in a pretty safe area and really haven’t felt the need… until recently.
First with the BLM stuff… all the riots.
… and then during and after Covid… when some store shelves were being emptied I started wondering… “what if the me]asses from the nearby city decide to come to the ‘burbs and take what they can;t find in the stores?”
Then as I saw/see Portland, San Francisco, Philly, etc. all start falling into ruin… 3rd World Country conditions in some areas.
I wouldn’t get a handgun without proper training… but I doubt my wife or kids would.
Though I could get it without kids knowing… wife would have zero interest (until or unless it’s’ use became necessary).
WILLIAMS5232 wrote: as far as dukasaur goes, i had no idea you were so goofy. i mean, you hate your parents so much you'd wish they'd been shot? just move out bro.
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
I’ve shot, but I’m not trained.KoolBak wrote:so bad.
I can't recommend strong enough NOT to acquire a gun in your scenario. Not worth it.
These are the stories where people get hurt due to lack of training.
BTW, shoot me your address, as I WILL be one of those unpleasant visitors after the shit hits the fan![]()
Pack Rat wrote:if it quacks like a duck and walk like a duck, it's still fascism
https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p5349880
I would do more than 8 hour class.saxitoxin wrote:Jim -
1. Get an alarm with an audible sound in your bedroom.
2. Then get a Glock G19 and keep it in a quick access biometric lock safe next to your bed; the alarm will give you enough time to access it
3. Take the NRA Pistol class ... it's 4 hours online and 4 hours in person
4. Then get self defense insurance through USLS or USCCA
5. Only buy hollow point ammo so if you miss it doesn't go through walls and hit unsuspecting family members
6. Get a CCP even if you don't plan to take it outside the house
Let's see if KB agrees with me or not!
The one my father had certainly did. I fired it many times, and remember taking the safety off every time.KoolBak wrote:Colt .38 doesn't have a safety.
Colt's "Positive Lock" firing pin block safety is a standard feature of the revolver, preventing the firing pin from striking the primer unless the trigger is deliberately pulled
I was raised with guns. My father collected them, and in the 70's getting permits was super easy. It didn't start being a hassle until the 80's. We pretty much had a gun in every room, not in plain sight but readily accessible. The theory was home defense, but I never saw an instance where the home was defended that way. What I did see was a lot of near misses, where one or another of my father's friends would start playing with a gun and almost shot himself. On one occasion, my father was really stoned and he flew into a rage about the flies buzzing around in the kitchen, started shooting flies with a semiautomatic .22. Pretty much demolished the kitchen. I don't know if any flies died. Probably some of them died laughing.KoolBak wrote:Personally, being raised with weapons and hunting and having raised my kids the same (and thoroughly trained my wife), I have a .45 I sleep with, 2 in my shop where I work and 4 throughout the house / shop. All loaded mags, none with one in the pipe (EVER).
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
KoolBak wrote:NPC #1
It does mean, however, that not all gun owners are "responsible gun owners", despite being LEGALLY allowed to carry guns.jimboston wrote:You are an ass.
Your examples of people being idiots does NOT mean that every gun owner is an idiot.
Maxleod wrote: but I wouldn't shoot a 6 yo girl who's just trying to retrieve her ball from my lawnyard.
.
WILLIAMS5232 wrote: as far as dukasaur goes, i had no idea you were so goofy. i mean, you hate your parents so much you'd wish they'd been shot? just move out bro.
Erm, what? Read my post again, I said that those gun owners are all stable and responsible. I don't think anyone who would commit acts of extreme violence in defense of their property could ever be called an idiot.jimboston wrote:Your examples of people being idiots does NOT mean that every gun owner is an idiot.
Nobody, and I mean nobody, has posited the "every gun owner is an idiot".jimboston wrote:You are an ass.
Your examples of people being idiots does NOT mean that every gun owner is an idiot.
That is not how logic and debate works.
That is not how statistics works.
You cannot extrapolate your false narrative from some bad examples.
I’m sure I could find plenty of news reports demonstrating examples were guns were useful and successfully used to prevent or limit harm. It’s a waste of my time to do so and think it might influence you in any way.
Go take a long walk on a short pier.
WILLIAMS5232 wrote: as far as dukasaur goes, i had no idea you were so goofy. i mean, you hate your parents so much you'd wish they'd been shot? just move out bro.