There are no plusses without minuses

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.
Post Reply
User avatar
Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team
Posts: 28239
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Beautiful Niagara

There are no plusses without minuses

Post by Dukasaur »

Everybody wants to live on a nice, tree-lined street in a classy neighbourhood. And then you do live on a nice, tree-lined street in a classy neighbourhood, and every single morning you go to work with fresh bird shit on your windshield.

Everything is a trade-off.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
User avatar
jimboston
Posts: 5379
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:45 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Boston (Area), Massachusetts; U.S.A.

Re: There are no plusses without minuses

Post by jimboston »

I dispute your premise.
User avatar
Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team
Posts: 28239
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Beautiful Niagara

Re: There are no plusses without minuses

Post by Dukasaur »

Name one.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
User avatar
jimboston
Posts: 5379
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:45 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Boston (Area), Massachusetts; U.S.A.

Re: There are no plusses without minuses

Post by jimboston »

Just get a carport and you’ll still live on a nice tree lined street… and you won’t have birdshot on your car.
A garage works too.
User avatar
jimboston
Posts: 5379
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:45 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Boston (Area), Massachusetts; U.S.A.

Re: There are no plusses without minuses

Post by jimboston »

My children.

Some might say “but what about the work and the money”… but if you love your kids it’s not work and you don’t care about the money.
User avatar
Maxleod
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:08 am
Location: DARDIS (Drunkness And Relative Dimensions In Sleep)

Re: There are no plusses without minuses

Post by Maxleod »

There are no pussies without missus.
User avatar
Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team
Posts: 28239
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Beautiful Niagara

Re: There are no plusses without minuses

Post by Dukasaur »

Still all the great things you might have done if you hadn't been distracted by breeding.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
User avatar
jimboston
Posts: 5379
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:45 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Boston (Area), Massachusetts; U.S.A.

Re: There are no plusses without minuses

Post by jimboston »

Dukasaur wrote:Still all the great things you might have done if you hadn't been distracted by breeding.
Opportunity cost vs. opportunity cost of my kid being the person who cures cancer?
Or grandkid.

I agree the world population is high… but we can’t go down to zero breeders.
We need some people to procreate.
User avatar
mookiemcgee
Posts: 5788
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:33 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Northern CA

Re: There are no plusses without minuses

Post by mookiemcgee »

jimboston wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:Still all the great things you might have done if you hadn't been distracted by breeding.
Opportunity cost vs. opportunity cost of my kid being the person who cures cancer?
Or grandkid.

I agree the world population is high… but we can’t go down to zero breeders.
We need some people to procreate.
he didn't mean you Jim, "most annoying CC poster" was always your lifes potential.

Image
WILLIAMS5232 wrote: as far as dukasaur goes, i had no idea you were so goofy. i mean, you hate your parents so much you'd wish they'd been shot? just move out bro.
User avatar
riskllama
Posts: 9041
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:50 pm
Location: deep inside Queen Charlotte.

Re: There are no plusses without minuses

Post by riskllama »

mookiemcgee wrote:
he didn't mean you Jim, "most annoying CC poster" was always your lifes potential.
c'mon now, mook, there's no way jimbo is even close to being the most annoying poster here on CC...
Image
User avatar
Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team
Posts: 28239
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Beautiful Niagara

Re: There are no plusses without minuses

Post by Dukasaur »

jimboston wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:Still all the great things you might have done if you hadn't been distracted by breeding.
Opportunity cost vs. opportunity cost of my kid being the person who cures cancer?
Or grandkid.

I agree the world population is high… but we can’t go down to zero breeders.
We need some people to procreate.
Didn't dispute that.

All I said was there are plusses and minuses. You won't find anything completely lacking in both.

Not saying that you should abstain from breeding, if that is your decision after considering all the pros and cons. Only that you should consider them.

Or come wash my fucking truck.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
User avatar
bigtoughralf
Posts: 2072
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:49 am

Re: There are no plusses without minuses

Post by bigtoughralf »

Reminds me of the story of the man and the horse:

https://medium.com/finn-jackson/the-par ... 52bba7f12c
Palestinians murdered by Israel during its ongoing illegal invasion of Gaza: 52,535*

https://www.ohchr.org/en/press-releases ... t-genocide

*https://www.bmj.com/content/388/bmj.r73
User avatar
jimboston
Posts: 5379
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:45 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Boston (Area), Massachusetts; U.S.A.

Re: There are no plusses without minuses

Post by jimboston »

mookiemcgee wrote:
jimboston wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:Still all the great things you might have done if you hadn't been distracted by breeding.
Opportunity cost vs. opportunity cost of my kid being the person who cures cancer?
Or grandkid.

I agree the world population is high… but we can’t go down to zero breeders.
We need some people to procreate.
he didn't mean you Jim, "most annoying CC poster" was always your lifes potential.
Guess I’m a failure…
*JP4
*Confed
*Ralph

I don’t even make Top 3!
User avatar
KoolBak
Posts: 7414
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:03 pm
Gender: Male
Location: The beautiful Pacific Northwest

Re: There are no plusses without minuses

Post by KoolBak »

Bingo.

DoD....I'm happy to have the minuses in order to have the plusses I've worked so fucking hard for.

And I shot the fucking bird (true story :lol: )
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
User avatar
jusplay4fun
Posts: 8476
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:21 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Virginia

Re: There are no plusses without minuses

Post by jusplay4fun »

Duk makes a very good point. Nearly all things have their plusses and minuses. I cannot think of one thing that has all of one and none of the other. This is something I have come to consider as I experience life; the older I get, the more I realize the profoundness of this idea.
JP4Fun

Image
User avatar
KoolBak
Posts: 7414
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:03 pm
Gender: Male
Location: The beautiful Pacific Northwest

Re: There are no plusses without minuses

Post by KoolBak »

One of the few things I remember from college economics... opportunity cost or TANSTAAFL :lol:
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
User avatar
jusplay4fun
Posts: 8476
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:21 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Virginia

Re: There are no plusses without minuses

Post by jusplay4fun »

KoolBak wrote:One of the few things I remember from college economics... opportunity cost or TANSTAAFL :lol:
As I recall, this was mentioned by noted economist (and Nobel Laureate) Milton Friedman. It came from the phenomenon of saloons in the USA offering a "free lunch" to those who bought at least one drink. The foods offered were high in salt, boosting sales of the beverages, especially beer. :D
JP4Fun

Image
User avatar
GaryDenton
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:58 am
Gender: Male
Location: Houston area

Re: There are no plusses without minuses

Post by GaryDenton »

I have a carport, still get bird poop, just less. Probably mostly from parking at my Dad's.

And I don't have kids and am astounded at the things I haven't accomplished.
User avatar
bigtoughralf
Posts: 2072
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:49 am

Re: There are no plusses without minuses

Post by bigtoughralf »

=D>
jusplay4fun wrote:Duk makes a very good point. Nearly all things have their plusses and minuses. I cannot think of one thing that has all of one and none of the other. This is something I have come to consider as I experience life; the older I get, the more I realize the profoundness of this idea.
You should write a book - or at least an essay - for the benefit of future generations.
Palestinians murdered by Israel during its ongoing illegal invasion of Gaza: 52,535*

https://www.ohchr.org/en/press-releases ... t-genocide

*https://www.bmj.com/content/388/bmj.r73
User avatar
DirtyDishSoap
Posts: 9365
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:42 pm
Gender: Male

Re: There are no plusses without minuses

Post by DirtyDishSoap »

riskllama wrote:
mookiemcgee wrote:
he didn't mean you Jim, "most annoying CC poster" was always your lifes potential.
c'mon now, mook, there's no way jimbo is even close to being the most annoying poster here on CC...
Want another birthday thread?
Dukasaur wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:taking medical advice from this creature; a morbidly obese man who is 100% convinced he willed himself into becoming a woman.
Your obsession with mrswdk is really sad.
ConfederateSS wrote:Just because people are idiots... Doesn't make them wrong.
User avatar
jusplay4fun
Posts: 8476
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:21 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Virginia

Re: There are no plusses without minuses

Post by jusplay4fun »

bigtoughralf wrote:=D>
jusplay4fun wrote:Duk makes a very good point. Nearly all things have their plusses and minuses. I cannot think of one thing that has all of one and none of the other. This is something I have come to consider as I experience life; the older I get, the more I realize the profoundness of this idea.
You should write a book - or at least an essay - for the benefit of future generations.
I will leave that to DDS; he is better at entertaining the crowd(s) here. :D =D>
JP4Fun

Image
User avatar
jusplay4fun
Posts: 8476
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:21 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Virginia

Re: There are no plusses without minuses

Post by jusplay4fun »

jimboston wrote:Just get a carport and you’ll still live on a nice tree lined street… and you won’t have birdshot on your car.
A garage works too.
A car port does not provide that much protection from crap. As far as a garage, most people I know put "stuff" in the garage (lawn mowers, power equipment, storage) and NOT their cars; it is a storage for everything but cars. So, Minus there, if car protection is the main goal.

Having children, essentially, is a huge plus, but takes LOTS of work and effort and energy. Children make life worthwhile. For my wife and me, our grandchildren are a very positive outcome and the ultimate PLUS as they have good parents. I do know of many families where grandparents are forced to become parents; THAT is SAD and can be a real minus. I said, as a parent of young children, that raising children is one of the most rewarding and one of the most frustrating endeavors a person undertakes. I think our efforts paid off in great parents and wonderful grandchildren. The grandchildren put a smile on both of us everyday.

So children are a huge plus, with some minuses, and supports Duk's premise.
JP4Fun

Image
Post Reply

Return to “Acceptable Content”