Conquer Club

Slovakia - V12 - Pg 1&14

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Slovakia [19.01.12] - V4 - P1&4

Postby natty dread on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:01 pm

I'm going to tell you straight out, the foundry mods are going to tell you to add regions. This won't get approved with 16 regions.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Oneyed on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:23 pm

the first map you showed, J_Indr has legend at the bottom right corner where is Kraj mentioned for each Kraj.
the second one has much references where you can find informations and also maps which says to people that Slovakia is divided to Kraje.
the third one is mainly for Slovaks and they know we have Kraje.

J_Indr, using Bratislavský without Kraj is the same as using Bedfordshire without shire...

Oneyed

EDIT: DiM, maybe you could go without Kraj if you will mention it in legend, like: Hold each region (kraj)/kraj (region) and its capital....
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby Industrial Helix on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:27 pm

No bonus for the national capital?

and, I think you should say "both cities in an area are connected to each other." instead of using the word territories, for me territories means like provinces. wait, I just realized those aren't cities, but rather the territories with army circles. You might want to clear that up, getting rid of the dark line around the territory army circle would probably clear it right up.

In that case, I have no idea what you mean by "both territories in an area are connected to each other" Unless you mean, cities are surrounded by the territory they are situated within.

Also, isn't Slovakia known for it's mountainous terrain? You might want to consider some impassables.

But otherwise, I like the map and the colorful representation and use of the flag.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:19 pm

natty_dread wrote:I'm going to tell you straight out, the foundry mods are going to tell you to add regions. This won't get approved with 16 regions.

What he said.

viewtopic.php?f=241&t=105183

There are no defined limits for map sizes, although maps should have more than 24 territories in order to minimise the risk of first-round eliminations in 8-player games

Unsticked till this issue is solved.

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Oneyed on Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:24 pm

if there will be realy needed more regions, this may helps you a litle. these are cultural-historical regions of Slovakia.

630x318
Click image to enlarge.

Oneyed

EDIT: my quick attempt :) . feel free to use it or ignore :D
Click image to enlarge.
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby lostatlimbo on Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:51 am

Yeah, this looks good, but a little too small for my tastes. More regions would help.

The textures on this are great. I love the background.
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby lostatlimbo on Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:55 am

There's no Czech Republic map on Conquer Club. You could make this a map of both countries, divided by border, with only a couple access points between the two. Give each half the look of its flag.
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby natty dread on Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:06 am

lostatlimbo wrote:There's no Czech Republic map on Conquer Club. You could make this a map of both countries, divided by border, with only a couple access points between the two. Give each half the look of its flag.

That's a great idea.

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:18 am

Oneyed wrote:if there will be realy needed more regions, this may helps you a litle. these are cultural-historical regions of Slovakia.

630x318
Click image to enlarge.

Oneyed

EDIT: my quick attempt :) . feel free to use it or ignore :D
Click image to enlarge.

The nice part about this one is that it has exactly 24 regions.

But DiM, if you want to reach 24 regions without fundamentally changing the borders you have now, why not add on famous landmark to each province? Bojnice, for instance. So, Nitranski Kraj would be three terts: the province, the town of Nitra, and the landmark of Bojnice castle.

I tried to sell this idea to other mapmakers but nobody's ever been interested. One day somebody will try it.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:48 pm

natty_dread wrote:
lostatlimbo wrote:There's no Czech Republic map on Conquer Club. You could make this a map of both countries, divided by border, with only a couple access points between the two. Give each half the look of its flag.

That's a great idea.

=D> =D> =D>

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby DiM on Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:04 am

thenobodies80 wrote:
There are NO defined limits for map sizes, although maps should have more than 24 territories in order to minimise the risk of first-round eliminations in 8-player games

Unsticked till this issue is solved.

Nobodies

this is an absolutely absurd rule and i can't possibly realise why it was created. with a rule like this maps like doodle or luxembourg would have never been created and those 2 are the most popular maps aside from classic.
my goal was to create a small simple classic style map not to do yet another medium sized map like we already have 100 more.

also the rule says there are NO defined limits and the use of "should" means that the minimum of 24 terits is more of a recommendation than a mandatory thing. so if we were to refer to the rule, then this map is completely ok.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:08 am

DiM wrote:also the rule says there are NO defined limits and the use of "should" means that the minimum of 24 terits is more of a recommendation than a mandatory thing. so if we were to refer to the rule, then this map is completely ok.

So you know the rules better than the foundry foreman? Good for you.

As for the 24 limit, that's completely reasonable. Doodle is 18 regions, and IIRC it was made when 6 players was the limit. Now we have 8 player games, and 24 gives 3 regions for 8 players, which is the minimum for the games to make any sense - just look at any 8-player doodle game, they're all completely decided by the drop.

Furthermore, you should know by now, that just because some maps may have been allowed in the past, doesn't mean that similar maps are allowed now. The requirements for maps evolve and change.

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:29 am

DiM, the map as it is now is not ok. The rule is not a recommendation but a mandatory thing (only for the minimum territory size) with few exceptions. The word "should" is there exactly because in some special cases a map can have less than 24 territories. But this is not the case.
This map could have less than 24 territories, but you should go in a different direction and totally prevent a 1st turn elimination. ;)

Postby DiM on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:02 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:DiM, the map as it is now is not ok. The rule is not a recommendation but a mandatory thing (only for the minimum territory size) with few exceptions. The word "should" is there exactly because in some special cases a map can have less than 24 territories. But this is not the case.
This map could have less than 24 territories, but you should go in a different direction and totally prevent a 1st turn elimination. ;)

what are the special cases?
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:11 pm

DiM wrote:what are the special cases?

You might get it as a 1v1 map.Image That alone will solve the first round elimination problem as each player will get more than 2 territs. Any other way and you are just Image
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby DiM on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:00 pm

V5:
*made the map with 24 terits
*added a new legend

Click image to enlarge.
Major DiM

Re: Slovakia [22.01.12] - V5 - P1&5

Postby Oneyed on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:17 pm

much, much better DiM :D
just where you find the small flags?

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:25 pm

DiM wrote:
thenobodies80 wrote:DiM, the map as it is now is not ok. The rule is not a recommendation but a mandatory thing (only for the minimum territory size) with few exceptions. The word "should" is there exactly because in some special cases a map can have less than 24 territories. But this is not the case.

what are the special cases?

1vs1 maps and those maps where the gameplay give 0% of probabilities of a 1st turn elimination, also with lucky dice or drop. (example: the starting positions can be assaulted from a unique location that has a number of neutrals (or a position on the map) that makes impossible to take it in the first turn, in a 8 players game)

Postby natty dread on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:50 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:(example: the starting positions can be assaulted from a unique location that has a number of neutrals (or a position on the map) that makes impossible to take it in the first turn, in a 8 players game)

Hm... kinda like a small-map poland, or antarctica... that could be interesting!

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:47 am

Dukasaur wrote:But DiM, if you want to reach 24 regions without fundamentally changing the borders you have now, why not add on famous landmark to each province? Bojnice, for instance. So, Nitranski Kraj would be three terts: the province, the town of Nitra, and the landmark of Bojnice castle.

I tried to sell this idea to other mapmakers but nobody's ever been interested. One day somebody will try it.

Once again, completely ignored.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby natty dread on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:26 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:But DiM, if you want to reach 24 regions without fundamentally changing the borders you have now, why not add on famous landmark to each province? Bojnice, for instance. So, Nitranski Kraj would be three terts: the province, the town of Nitra, and the landmark of Bojnice castle.

Nothing is stopping you from making a map like that yourself.

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:35 pm

natty_dread wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

Yes, natty, you never get tired of rubbing my nose in that, do you?

Just because I lack graphic skills doesn't mean I can't have good ideas. I don't have the skills to be a cosmonaut, either, but that doesn't mean I know nothing about astronomy.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby natty dread on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:22 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
natty_dread wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

Yes, natty, you never get tired of rubbing my nose in that, do you?

Just because I lack graphic skills doesn't mean I can't have good ideas. I don't have the skills to be a cosmonaut, either, but that doesn't mean I know nothing about astronomy.

Skills are not something you're born with. They're not a binary thing, something you either have or don't have. I started out my mapmaking career with close to 0 graphical skills. So... lack of "skills" has nothing to do with it.

So you have a great idea and you want to see it done, that's fine... but the correct way to go about it is not trying to push your idea into random map threads, without consideration whether it's something that's compatible with the mapmaker's ideas or not. Giving suggestions and ideas is ok - in fact it's laudable, but they need to be ideas for that particular map, not ideas you just want to see in some map.

When you have a more general idea like this, an idea that's not related to any current map in production, the correct way would be to go to the ideas forum and present your idea there, and then see if it garners interest from mapmakers. To be fair, the chances are pretty slim, since most mapmakers already have their own ideas and projects which they are busy with... but if you present a well thought-out gameplay plan, instead of just a vague idea, it will improve your chances considerably.

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:02 pm

natty_dread wrote:So you have a great idea and you want to see it done, that's fine... but the correct way to go about it is not trying to push your idea into random map threads, without consideration whether it's something that's compatible with the mapmaker's ideas or not. Giving suggestions and ideas is ok - in fact it's laudable, but they need to be ideas for that particular map, not ideas you just want to see in some map.

Try to give me just a little credit. I don't jump in and make suggestions at random. Maybe in some cases it might be close to that, but in this particular case I definitely did give consideration to what he was trying to accomplish.

His basic problem is that he has eight provinces. With capitals, they make 16 terts. You guys are demanding that he goes to 24 terts. The solution just jumped out at me, given the fact that 24 is already a multiple of eight. Eight provinces plus eight capitals is sixteen; eight provinces plus eight capitals plus eight "significant landmarks" is twenty-four. I made the suggestion because I thought it was a really good solution to his problem, not because I'm ideologically wedded to the concept or anything. While I think it's a cool idea, I'm not obsessed with it.

[qiote]When you have a more general idea like this, an idea that's not related to any current map in production, the correct way would be to go to the ideas forum and present your idea there, and then see if it garners interest from mapmakers. To be fair, the chances are pretty slim, since most mapmakers already have their own ideas and projects which they are busy with... but if you present a well thought-out gameplay plan, instead of just a vague idea, it will improve your chances considerably.[/quote]
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby DiM on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:07 am

sorry dukasaur, i didn't mean to ignore you. i was (and still am) on vacation so i didn't have time to respond to everything. i just read what was posted and worked on a solution that i found to be closer to what i have in mind for this map.
i wan to keep it as simple as possible and how i had it initially with a province and its capital raised a few problems regarding borders. adding a landmark to each province would have solved the 24 terit thing but would have kept the connection problem where i had to explain how the province connects to the capital and the landmark.
the current form is dead simple to understand from a glance and that's what i'm aiming.

now can this get a stamp?
Major DiM

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box