Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Ancient Japan

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Unit_2 on Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:43 pm

Hows this?

Private Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby jako on Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:16 pm

DiM wrote:lose the current paper as it isn't very japanish. instead use a rice paper background and decorate it with japan style paintings. like so. but try making it either sepia or black and white or something.
or perhaps choose focal points where you have colour, play with it:

unit, listen to DiM here. ur curent background doesnt stay true to the feeling of the map. u should follow his advice.
Lieutenant jako

Postby HungrySomali on Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:15 pm

Unit_2 wrote:Well, theres not really anything we can use for the Japaneese feeling, theres not that much stuff out there that we can use as a base image for a back-ground or anything.

So what else do you guys think still needs done besides the fold in the paper?

How about Tatami Mat?

This example would have to be toned down.
Corporal HungrySomali

Postby Unit_2 on Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:18 pm

jako wrote:
DiM wrote:lose the current paper as it isn't very japanish. instead use a rice paper background and decorate it with japan style paintings. like so. but try making it either sepia or black and white or something.
or perhaps choose focal points where you have colour, play with it:

unit, listen to DiM here. ur curent background doesnt stay true to the feeling of the map. u should follow his advice.

i know though Oaktown said i need to put the amry circles and armys in, Telvannia is workign on it so give him some time..
Private Unit_2

Postby HungrySomali on Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:44 pm

An example of Shoji paper (used in the traditional Shoji Screens).

or

Corporal HungrySomali

Postby Unit_2 on Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:14 pm

Ok, Telvannia will work on it and as soon as its done i will post it.

Also Oaktown the first post is fixed.
Private Unit_2

Postby fireedud on Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:21 pm

I also think the map has to blend in with the map background, rather than pop out.
me have no sig
Cook fireedud

Postby oaktown on Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:35 am

Unit_2 wrote:i know though Oaktown said i need to put the amry circles and armys in, Telvannia is workign on it so give him some time..

Hey Unit... what i most wanted to see was the army COUNTS and how they fit into the map, given the small size of some territories. But with the color on the map, you'll be needing the circles as well, so I'm glad you did both.

I have to admit, it looks better than I thought it would - nicely done. Here are the areas that will need the most work, as I see it:
• Osaka's 88 looks like it goes with Nara.
• Mie's 88 also looks like it goes with Nara.
• Nara's 88 looks like it goes with Mie.
• There are four numbers that are equally close to Okoyama, which is confusing. Totori's is especially bad, because half of the number is in Okoyama.
• Kyoto and Hyogo's numbers can be easily mixed-up.

In general you lose a lot of borders once you drop the circles and numbers on... it's no longer as clear who attacks whom.

Anyway, you see now why i wanted to see this before you went much further? If you can resolve the size problem you'll have yourself the basic shape of the map, and you guys can focus more of your collective attention on the graphics.
Captain oaktown

Postby edbeard on Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:50 pm

I'm not sure of the historical significance of the territories you picked, but here's what I would do to help legibility/spacing problems.

Drop Nara and Make Osaka a bigger territory.

Do the same with Gunma and Saitarna.

This gives you 40 territories and I think does wonders for spacing/legibility.

I'd move that Tottoiri army and label north a bit and the Hyogo one south to ease some issues there. If you do what I said above, then you can also move the Osaka label and army south a bit so I think this would solve all those spacing issues and allow everyone to see borders easily.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Unit_2 on Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:04 pm

Well...Why do you guys want Japanese back-ground? Isn't the back-ground now good? Its paper so it is somewhat Ancient....

I fixed the territorys and things so i'll get it sent to Telvannia and it should be up late Monday or Tuesday.
Private Unit_2

Postby t.e.c on Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:29 pm

edbeard wrote:Do the same with Gunma and Saitarna.

once again... it's saitaMa :?
Corporal t.e.c

Postby oaktown on Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:21 pm

Unit_2 wrote:Well...Why do you guys want Japanese back-ground? Isn't the back-ground now good? Its paper so it is somewhat Ancient....

I don't mind the current paper, but the map has to fit it. It looks like paper that somebody has been carrying around an ancient battlefield, folded up in a saddlebag. The map image, however, isn't folded or wrinkled or warn in any way, nor do those colors look like they belong on that piece of paper. Too many disparate elements going on.
Captain oaktown

Postby Skittles! on Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:23 am

Unit_2 wrote:Well...Why do you guys want Japanese back-ground?

Er, maybe because this is a Japan map? Y'know.. Japanese back-ground with Japan map may just be needed.
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby DiM on Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:10 am

1. everything oaktown mentioned on army numbers overlapping names and borders is true
2. background and map must be part of a whole. they must blend and create an authenticity feel to it. this also includes changing the background to something japanish
3. i just realised that you don't have all of japan. you're missing some islands as seen in the image bellow like: okinawa, kagoshima, shimane, nagasaki or tokya. so honestly until you include those you don't have a japan map you have just a partial japan map. and yes i know shimane and kagoshima are on your map but they aren't complete.

“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Unit_2 on Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:06 am

Why we don't have the little islands is becasue we already have a size problem and adding those will make it even a bigger problem, also they were not apart of Japan Back in our time line, its just not possible.
Private Unit_2

Postby DiM on Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:39 am

Unit_2 wrote:Why we don't have the little islands is becasue we already have a size problem and adding those will make it even a bigger problem, also they were not apart of Japan Back in our time line, its just not possible.

the size problem is not an excuse. you can't say hey i'll make an europe map but i'll leave out the british isles cause they don't fit.
you either make a map of a whole or you don't make it. you can't split a country however you like just because it doesn't fit in the size restrictions. altering the map is permitted, like bringing an island closer and puting it in a box and stuff like that. like corsica on france map. but taking parts out of the map is no good.

as for the time line, what exactly is it? what period in the japan history are you talking about?
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Unit_2 on Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:51 pm

Here is a map of Ancient Japan which we are workign off of: Image

The time period is 1200-1400AD and in that time there was no islands settled but the main islands of Japan.
Private Unit_2

Postby DiM on Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:16 pm

Unit_2 wrote:Here is a map of Ancient Japan which we are workign off of: Image

The time period is 1200-1400AD and in that time there was no islands settled but the main islands of Japan.

1200-1400 is hardly ancient so better change the name to medieval japan.

second i doubt those islands weren't inhabited because of the simple fact there were people living there since the palaeolithic era.

also if you say you're working from that map then why don't you have all the islands there? there are still some missing.
Major DiM

Postby Elijah S on Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:56 pm

I suggest calling it "Imperial Japan"...

A few things here need some attention, in my opinion anyway...

The font for the title isn't right... it needs to be more similar to Japanese writing... more straight lines, fewer curves.

The background is harsh, too defined.
I think the effect you used should be brought down a few notches.

The bonus drawing is too big compared to the area of the map itself.

You have a lot of empty space which could be used for some graphics.
Samarais? Weapons?

Last suggestion... instead of coming up with endless ideas that you can't see through to completion, stick to ONE project at a time.
Sergeant 1st Class Elijah S

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:22 pm

Unit_2....i assume the island names haven't changed from ancient times...it would be nice if they were placed on the map, even it is in the legend. :) That might help fill some of the real estate.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Unit_2 on Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:12 am

Where at on the map?
Private Unit_2

Postby cairnswk on Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:24 am

Unit_2 wrote:Where at on the map?

Prob in the legend....put it there and let's see what it looks like.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Elijah S on Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:31 am

Unit... Have you thought about changing the font?
Sergeant 1st Class Elijah S

Re: Ancient Japan(Update(Armys), need comments p1)

Postby zimmah on Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:50 am

i like the bottom one, because it has on 'old' look to it and since it's ancient japan.. it fits the theme.

i would like a bigger version of the map tho
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby Unit_2 on Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:49 pm

Thanks for all the comments guys, as soon as Telvanina has some time i will talk with him and put all the stuff you suggested.

We are going to keep the old back-ground as everyone like it better(look in the poll).
Private Unit_2

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box