Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - C.C.Chess

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Abandoned] - C.C.Chess

Postby fumandomuerte on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:03 am

Conquer Club Chess

This map has nothing to do with the one proposed (and abandoned) by cramill here.
The images are very clear (i hope so :wink:), so please leave any comment with your opinion and suggestions.

VERSION 2
Ok, here are the changes I've made:
-Now all the blocks are reachable.
-Rearranged the "special pawns" (now named "color pawns").
-Fixed the starting positions.
-Added black and white pawns to the empty spaces.
-Included little explanation boxes with the basic moves of the pawns.

SMALL (600x450)
Click image to enlarge.

LARGE (800x600)
Click image to enlarge.

Now, should I put some compensation for starting positions b8 and g8 since they have only 1 possible attack? (I'm thinking of a +1 bonus).

VERSION 1
SMALL 600x450
Click image to enlarge.

-The little frames on the right show the possible movements (attacks) of those pieces different from the pawns (except for 4 "special pawns").
-The empty spaces represent normal pawns, with the limitant that they can only attack up and down diagonaly, so this makes up the begining of the game since black and white frames can't attack each other directly.
-The goal would be to reach the edge-pieces in order to have more attacking possibilities.
Last edited by fumandomuerte on Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
Thanks to the CC staff for the perma-ban on ۩░▒▓₪№™℮₪▓▒░۩!
Captain fumandomuerte

Postby benny profane on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:31 am

nice draft. you seem to consistently hit the ground running.

one question...
would players be deployed onto lines B through G?
Lieutenant benny profane

Postby fumandomuerte on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:57 am

benny profane wrote:would players be deployed onto lines B through G?

Yes.
Captain fumandomuerte

Postby rebelman on Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:00 am

great first post hope you can see this project through
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby bryguy on Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:06 am

wow dude, this looks awesome

but i have a couple questions as for movement, ill post it later though
Corporal bryguy

Postby FreeMan10 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:27 am

Yeah, I've got some movement questions, too, but I'll post now! :)

Can the Rooks only attack up/down on their half of the board, or can they attack in the standard manner that a rook can attack in chess? Same for bishops, queens, etc.

If they're limited in their attacking ability, I can see where holding the rooks (etc) is good for bonus armies, but not much else.
Cadet FreeMan10

Postby FreeMan10 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:30 am

FreeMan10 wrote:Yeah, I've got some movement questions, too, but I'll post now! :)

Can the Rooks only attack up/down on their half of the board, or can they attack in the standard manner that a rook can attack in chess? Same for bishops, queens, etc.

If they're limited in their attacking ability, I can see where holding the rooks (etc) is good for bonus armies, but not much else.

Never mind - I just answered my own question. :oops: Guess I need more coffee before posting.

Of course they can only attack in that one direction because they don't actually move! I guess that still leaves the question that if the rook is attacking > 1 space away, is it a bombardment or is it a standard attack - i.e., can I take the space at the end of the attack?
Cadet FreeMan10

Postby fumandomuerte on Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:42 am

FreeMan10 wrote:Of course they can only attack in that one direction because they don't actually move! I guess that still leaves the question that if the rook is attacking > 1 space away, is it a bombardment or is it a standard attack - i.e., can I take the space at the end of the attack?

They attack 3 spaces away verticaly as shown on the map. All the pieces on the ends attack spaces just on their half of the board (tha's why i used different colors).
Yes, you can take the defeated space, they are not bombarders.

For example:
You have the rook on h1, that means you can attack and conquer the spaces g1, f1 or e1.
Captain fumandomuerte

Postby bryguy on Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:03 pm

movement question i have is are the movement shown bombards, or areas they can attack??? also, is this gonna have an objection?? and are you gonna add on more pawns?? and/or move some of the pieces on the b and a lines to different areas on the board??
Corporal bryguy

Postby Keredrex on Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:06 pm

There is another Chess map Somewhere you should read that one.....And try to fix whatever issues that caused that map to be abandoned
Sergeant 1st Class Keredrex

Postby bryguy on Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:31 pm

Corporal bryguy

Postby Natewolfman on Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:32 pm

i was also wondering about bombardments... just me looking at it, it would make more sense that every lit up area on those mini-maps would be bombardments and that the piece itself could attack normally to every other squre touching it... however if that is not the case and the lit up area is for normal attacking, then can these peices never attack directly next to them if not specified?
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Postby bryguy on Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:33 pm

something that could be a problem, is that if there are starting positions, then somebody could maybe get a bonus and conquer the person 2 spots over
Corporal bryguy

Postby benny profane on Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:35 pm

Keredrex wrote:There is another Chess map Somewhere you should read that one.....And try to fix whatever issues that caused that map to be abandoned

he knows about it. he put a link to that thread in the first post.

fumandomuerte...
will players be deployed onto the 'special pawns' as well?

i like the attack movements...they add a new element which could work well.
Lieutenant benny profane

Postby Unit_2 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:34 pm

I like this one better, but fumandomuerte, pic one map and work on it, trust me....one is enough of a job.
Private Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby bryguy on Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:07 pm

benny profane wrote:
Keredrex wrote:There is another Chess map Somewhere you should read that one.....And try to fix whatever issues that caused that map to be abandoned

he knows about it. he put a link to that thread in the first post.

that was an older one, i posted a link to a newer one

benny profane wrote:i like the attack movements...they add a new element which could work well.

we still do not know if its for bombards or attack movments.
Corporal bryguy

Postby Mr Unbeatable on Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:16 pm

I love it!!!

That is amazing for the first draft and to be fair i would be happy to play on that as it is now. I also love the bonus systems and attacking directions. Keep up the hard work and see it through as it looks great. :wink:
Private Mr Unbeatable

Postby the_fatty on Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:35 pm

youre becoming wuite a good mapmaker...thats strange how good you are at youre first couple of pieces. but this is my favorite map out of youre 3. youve done amazing on this, especially for a rough draft. Keep it up!
wicked wrote:agreed, I'm scum. vote wicked.
Dariune wrote:Who said thaf > if i dont (f*ck SAKE!!!) go soon shi gfonna get in troubl with Jen. Teehee

I not drunk im tipsy and my key board is shite thats akl
Private the_fatty

Postby whitestazn88 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:31 pm

its a solid first draft, and i like the fact that the map is still visible regardless of the size of the legend
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby fumandomuerte on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:27 pm

bryguy:
Movement question i have is are the movement shown bombards, or areas they can attack??? also, is this gonna have an objection?? and are you gonna add on more pawns?? and/or move some of the pieces on the b and a lines to different areas on the board??
They are areas that pieces can attack and conquer, not just bombard.
I could add more pawns on the chess for graphics effects on the empty spaces, but the movements would be the same (diagonally up, diagonally down except for the special pawns). I didn't fill that spaces for the map to not look saturated.

There are some similarities but I swear I didn't copy any Idea from john9blue, it's just a coincidence. The last update from him was 19/Nov/07 and he showed this map image:

i was also wondering about bombardments... just me looking at it, it would make more sense that every lit up area on those mini-maps would be bombardments and that the piece itself could attack normally to every other squre touching it... however if that is not the case and the lit up area is for normal attacking, then can these peices never attack directly next to them if not specified?
That's right, edge-pieces can't attack directly the pieces next to them if not especified (It would be very easy to get the rooks, knights, bishops and the king once you've conquered a Queen for example). That makes more interesting the central board moves from normal pawns (those that fill the empty spaces).

Thanks for the advice, I know that. But at I can spend a lot of time on the 3 of them at the moment (in fact, I've finished the XML for Mexico's map, but there are no new posts on the discussion so I guess people is not very interested; the same goes for the Football Rivalries map)
Captain fumandomuerte

Postby Grooveman2007 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:01 pm

keep up the good work!
Private 1st Class Grooveman2007

Re: C.C.Chess V1 P1

Postby edbeard on Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:39 pm

at the moment some territories are impossible to acquire.

Since white can only go down and black up, and the end rows start neutral, the Rooks are impossible to conquer. The pink and green knight, yellow and blue bishops, and both queens are in the same situation.
Lieutenant edbeard

Re: C.C.Chess V1 P1

Postby fumandomuerte on Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:26 am

edbeard wrote:at the moment some territories are impossible to acquire.

Since white can only go down and black up, and the end rows start neutral, the Rooks are impossible to conquer. The pink and green knight, yellow and blue bishops, and both queens are in the same situation.

I think your missunderstanding the gameplay.
Starting armies will be deployed over the empty spaces of the board excepting those cited on the bottom of map image.

All players will start on random white and black spaces betwen rows b and g. So, based on your original position you should decide wich side go for, up or down.

For example:
You got 3 armies on d-2. That gives you the chance to attack c-1 and c-3, but suppose someone has the a-3 bishop and you don't want to cross fire with him by the moment, then you decide to go for c-3. Remember that White pawns can't attack the black ones and viceversa.

IMAGINE EMPTY SPACES ARE PAWNS FOR THE MOMENT.
I'll add the icons to the image next map revision.

I hope that helps you.
Last edited by fumandomuerte on Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain fumandomuerte

Postby edbeard on Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:35 am

well I did mix up the white and black going up and down

But, I still think certain territories are not possible to acquire.

The A-row and the H-row start neutral right?

G-2 can get to H-1 and H-3 but who can attack H-2? nobody.

How can you attack H-8? You cannot unless you hold A-8 but you cannot attack territory either
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Iliad on Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:45 am

great draft

It's probably impossiblee but it would be cool if you could move your pieces. So it would be exactly CC chess :D
Private 1st Class Iliad

Next

Return to Recycling Box