Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Washington State

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Abandoned] - Washington State

Postby jarrett155 on Mon May 12, 2008 12:30 am

V3
Click image to enlarge.

V2
Click image to enlarge.

Territories:54(i think)
Continents:6
Bonus: each mountain has a river running from it. conquer the mountain and its river for a bonus. but be careful because the forces of nature are against you. You lose 2 armies per turn on a mountain and 1 per turn on a river.
The coumbia river pairs with both the snake river and the grand coolie dam.

V1 sorta:
Click image to enlarge.

Territories:44 as of now...
Continents:6
bonuses:2
you will find out soon enough
San Juan: can be attacked by borders, skagit, island, and clallam. starts with 10 neutral. +1 and +3 auto deploy.

I will not be hurt by any critiques cause i know i suck at drawing and stuff so go ahead.:P
Last edited by jarrett155 on Tue May 20, 2008 9:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Major jarrett155

Re: Washington state counties

Postby bryguy on Mon May 12, 2008 8:29 am

Its not all that bad.... By the way, could u tell me what program you're using? cause for mapmaking i have used cs3, GIMP, and Inkscape, and when i was younger i used paint, but thats not allowed to be used here ;)

1) The colors are REALLY bright and annoying, maybe use duller colors?
2) If im correct, washington has that volcano in it? maybe try to add that if u want?
3) I think that a +10 autodeploy is a little high... also, the little box in the lower right corner doesnt really seem to have a purpose, cause its mostly stating the obvious, except for that +10 autodeploy
4) maybe expand the map by a couple pixels and show a little of the surrounding area?
5) Also, maybe do like what cairns is doing with his sydney map, and add some freeways and busses, and maybe some ferry boats?

More later :)
Corporal bryguy

Postby t-o-m on Mon May 12, 2008 11:22 am

its only a draft to give an idea bry, it will change for defo in later versions
Major t-o-m

Postby bryguy on Mon May 12, 2008 1:01 pm

t-o-m wrote:its only a draft to give an idea bry, it will change for defo in later versions

still, it has to have some comments to get it started, and those are some things i think it needs
Corporal bryguy

Postby TaCktiX on Mon May 12, 2008 1:56 pm

Checklists are typically reserved for when something hits Advanced Ideas, but hey, bryguy always does things differently. 8-)

The map was done in Paint, you know this, I know this, you need to find a higher-powered imaging program for the real map. We all appreciate you posting with a draft, because it does give us a good idea of what you have in mind.

Borders seems both pointless to have, and insanely powerful should anyone be able to take it. Bad gameplay idea. San Juan seems like a cross between Alcatraz in San Francisco and the commanders from Waterloo. Pick one, not both.

bryguy wrote:5) Also, maybe do like what cairns is doing with his sydney map, and add some freeways and busses, and maybe some ferry boats?

The map is fine transportation-wise, don't do this.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby jarrett155 on Mon May 12, 2008 4:28 pm

The picture was done in Paint.net i just suck at image stuff. I definitely need to add some ferries. The borders was just kind of an interesting twist. i will probably add some mountains and major rivers and stuff i just dont really know how to do textures and stuff:P
Major jarrett155

Postby InkL0sed on Mon May 12, 2008 4:29 pm

jarrett155 wrote:The picture was done in Paint.net i just suck at image stuff. I definitely need to add some ferries. The borders was just kind of an interesting twist. i will probably add some mountains and major rivers and stuff i just dont really know how to do textures and stuff:P

Of course you don't know how -- you can't in Paint.

Use a better program and it will become much easier.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby jarrett155 on Mon May 12, 2008 4:47 pm

its not paint. its paint.net there is a very very very big difference.
Major jarrett155

Postby t-o-m on Mon May 12, 2008 5:43 pm

ive seen paint.net - it looks different big time!
but still...but you be able to do advanced GFX on there?
EDIT:
this is a pic of it:
Major t-o-m

Postby jarrett155 on Mon May 12, 2008 6:05 pm

yah thats it:) its pretty much the most advanced thing i know how to use but it is in the tools for mapmaking thread so it must not be too bad. i hope:P
Major jarrett155

Postby jarrett155 on Mon May 12, 2008 6:22 pm

i put on a map with darker colors. i will fix key to match colors later.
Major jarrett155

Postby jarrett155 on Mon May 12, 2008 8:13 pm

with some random gimp patterns
Click image to enlarge.
Major jarrett155

Postby TaCktiX on Tue May 13, 2008 12:22 am

Click image to enlarge.

This took me about 45 minutes, but only because I'm slow as heck with selection and painting. Your colors right now are too bold, tone them down (the boldness is the #1 reason it looks like it was done in paint). Easiest way to do that in PhotoShop (dunno about Paint.Net) is to drop the opacity. I used virtually the same colors you did, but had the opacity at 70%.

Also, your borders are too straight. I added a little wave into the image above to make them more fluid and less strained. I also redid the background with a little bit of PhotoShop filter magic. Much more pleasing to the eye and not as disjointedly assaulting. Yeah, and I dropped the imbalanced San Juan and Borders, as I think you should for your map.

I hope that by illustrating I make what "needs to be done" to make the map look better is easier to understand. I'm not a master at shnazz borders and such (if you see the projects I've got in the works, they don't use anything geographical in the country/city sense), so you'll have to ask someone else about those.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby jarrett155 on Tue May 13, 2008 12:31 am

i have this on Gimp as well as Paint.net now so i will try opacity thing. thanks. Also i used layers to trace the county borders so they were straight cause they were the exact borders:P
Major jarrett155

Postby wicked on Tue May 13, 2008 1:26 am

This is cool. Would help me learn the counties, since I only know King. Colors need some work though. Pastel colors don't seem to be liked around here. Look forward to seeing this map make it through. Good luck with it.

edit.. I like tacky's version much better.
Major wicked

Postby jarrett155 on Tue May 13, 2008 1:29 am

Click image to enlarge.

This one has much darker colors
Last edited by jarrett155 on Wed May 14, 2008 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major jarrett155

Postby wicked on Tue May 13, 2008 1:33 am

The text is unreadable (especially those in the water) and the blue for the Pacific really detracts from the actual map. Make it lighter? The county borders need to be darker too.
Major wicked

Postby jarrett155 on Tue May 13, 2008 1:35 am

Yah i have noticed that too. On my image all text with blue behind it is much easier to read. i dont know why but ill work on the legibility.
Major jarrett155

Postby Balsiefen on Tue May 13, 2008 2:48 am

As I have both Paint.net and Gimp, I would say you shoud dump paint and make it entirely in the gimp, Its a much more capable graphics program in many ways.

Gameplay wise, first thing you need is impassables. At the moment, any game'd end up in a real mess. Add in mountains/rivers to make things a little easier.

Also, you may want to think about splitting up your big continent, At the moment, its gonna be a huge dead zone sitting at the bottom there.
Sergeant 1st Class Balsiefen

Location: The Ford of the Aldar in the East of the Kingdom of Lindissi

Postby jarrett155 on Tue May 13, 2008 4:37 pm

Yah i will be adding in rivers and mountain ranges. also the continents were based off of actual regions of washington state but i could make an east west.
Major jarrett155

Postby jarrett155 on Tue May 13, 2008 5:53 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Removed Borders and made some color improvements

I am still not sure why the names on king county and around there are fuzzy cause its fine on my computer untill i put it here.
Major jarrett155

Postby Theguyoverthere on Tue May 13, 2008 6:00 pm

use imageshack.us for better pic quality uploads
Oh, and yeah you need some unpassables, as every continent has like 6 borders :P
Captain Theguyoverthere

Postby ZeakCytho on Tue May 13, 2008 6:04 pm

You should really do a major graphical overhaul before posting the next update. Just compare this map to the ones currently in play and notice the graphical difference. Don't post minor updates where you change one or two colors when there are so many glaring problems that have been pointed out. Do your best to fix all of these, then post one big update.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby RjBeals on Tue May 13, 2008 8:29 pm

:o

You may want to refer to some of the tips in THIS thread. Also Download and Learn Gimp.
Private RjBeals

Postby jarrett155 on Tue May 13, 2008 9:24 pm

I was using gimp but then it froze on me and i lost a bunch of stuff. i was working on impassable rivers and mountains. but for the moment i am working on some darker colors.
Click image to enlarge.
this is better i hope:P
Major jarrett155

Next

Return to Recycling Box