Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Baltic States

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Baltic States

Postby wcaclimbing on Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:18 pm

So, can we expect an update on this map any time soon, or is it being delayed?
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:12 pm

Those three little territories on that Island look a little too easy to control. What are they worth?

Sorry, I couldn't tell that they were a different color.

And yeah, when/where the update?
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby l3eater on Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:08 pm

Oh im finishing up the update, should be a ok by tomorrow.
Private l3eater

Postby l3eater on Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Click image to enlarge.

I give you version 4. I know the mountains look a bit weird, it's because i suck at making layered mountains.
Private l3eater

Postby wcaclimbing on Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:56 pm

Are you honestly new to using GIMP? You've really improved in such a short time, can't wait for updates 4 and 5!

A few issues I see now, though:
1. The colors within each area (Estonia, latvia, Lithuania) are very similar, so its difficult for me to know where one continent ends and the other begins.
2. Some of your land color is crossing into the water. You've got the black line outlining it, but the colors cross under the line and get into the water.
3. The minimap is kinda stretched out too tall. So its a slightly different shape from the big map. It would look much better if you kept the same size ratio for the minimap that you used on the full image.
4. The water-land transition down south, in the grey area below Lituania. Its very blurry. could you extend the black border line that you used to cover the entire coast?
5. Reorganize the bonuses box just a bit. Right now, I don't know which name goes with which area on the map. I'm guessing Estonia is the red place, Latvia is yellow, and Lithuania is Blue, but that should be marked in the box so I know what's what.

A side note not related to the image, Whenever you update your map, could you edit the title of your thread to be "Baltic States --- Updated on [enter date here] , page ##" That makes it easier for the rest of us to know when this has been updated.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby ZeakCytho on Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:02 pm

Wow! This is an AMAZING improvement! If you keep going at this rate, you'll be on par with the best map makers in no time!

I agree with everything Wca said. Few other things:
Consider making a thicker line between the three nations, and giving each one of them a bonus of its own - a World 2.1 type of stacked continents.
I think the title needs a bit of love - a new font, maybe? It'd be best if you could fit it horizontally, maybe on two lines? Not sure if you have enough room, though. Maybe change the name to "The Baltics" or something shorter?
As you said, the mountains need work. The slope is too steep, try making it a bit flatter. Also, use 2-3 different mountains and stagger them so you don't have a continuous copy/paste dotted line feel to it.
The bridges could use some improvement - consider having them colored to match the continents, like the Netherlands map bridges.
Consider adding a slight texture to the ocean, or making it get lighter closer to shore, or something to make it less...big and blue.
I'd make the unplayable land a tad darker, so the white text on it is more legible.

Overall, looking great!
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Natewolfman on Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:03 pm

wow amazing update =D> big improments, aside from what wca said, i think the water routes could be cleaned up a bit as well.

biggest issues (as wca said)

1) the color, especially up top, i cant tell the dif in color between the red islands and the land right next to it
2) same size mini-map

nicely done :)
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Postby t-o-m on Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:05 pm

i cannot beleive how much this has progressed!
well done, really well done.
Major t-o-m

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:20 pm

Yeah, I agree with everyone else, so I just wanted a chance to say that I didn't expect the update to look this good! this thing is almost ready for some stamps!

Really fine work!

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:41 pm

You are showing clear sings of improvement - I hope you're pleased with yourself ;-)

There is still a lot of work to be done, but you're definitely going about it the right way.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: Baltic States [Poll added for name]

Postby l3eater on Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:36 am

Thanks for all your comments, the next update should be done in a couple of days.
Private l3eater

Postby gimil on Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:14 pm

More classic gameplay maps are what we need around here, you seems to have alot of support and are showing a good comittment learning what your doing. I think you've earned this:

[adv. idea]

Keep up the hard work. There is a pool of talent in this place that are always willing to help you out if you ever get stuck.

Its always good to have new faces around that want to make maps.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby t-o-m on Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:18 pm

well done on adv idea!!!
Major t-o-m

Postby l3eater on Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:17 pm

Thank you VERY much Gimil, I'm thrilled that my map got to the adv. ideas and also Thanks to everyone who supported me, it's with you support that this map got to the adv. ideas.
Private l3eater

Postby bryguy on Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:40 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:Wow! This is an AMAZING improvement! If you keep going at this rate, you'll be on par with the best map makers in no time!

maybe not on par, but maybe close ;)

but yes as zeak said it is an amazing improvement! i dont have much time to comment right now, but i believ that you will in the long run have some problems with the colors/color blind people, because the different shades of red and such are very VERY close
Corporal bryguy

Postby Juan_Bottom on Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:28 pm

gimil wrote:More classic gameplay maps are what we need around here, you

I totally agree.
And this one has been great from the start. Seems like most people just want the map to be clearer. And that's saying something.

Postby Coleman on Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:23 pm

I have to say I'm not a huge fan of the text on this map. The gray title going top to bottom on the left side doesn't seem to show well against the water, and the white territory names and numbers in the legend often seem oddly placed.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby InkL0sed on Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:17 am

Coleman wrote:I have to say I'm not a huge fan of the text on this map. The gray title going top to bottom on the left side doesn't seem to show well against the water, and the white territory names and numbers in the legend often seem oddly placed.

Exactly my opinion.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:14 am

The semi-transparent coat of arms inside the countries are not working. Perhaps you could put them outside close to the specific countries like in BeNeLux? Check that map out for reference.

The colour shades for a region and another within the same country are too similar. I cannot distinguish between a region and another in Estonia (Northern state) and Lithuania (Southern state).
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Re: Baltic States [Updated on Jul. 19 pg. 1 and 3]

Postby l3eater on Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:03 pm

Click image to enlarge.

This is version 4a.

I have a question, the small area where the shield with the knight in it, that is where kalingrad is located, kalingrad is sometimes noted in the Baltic States, however, most of the time it's just the current 3. So my question to you, the poster is, should Kalingrad be added to the Baltic States?
Private l3eater

Postby ZeakCytho on Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:14 pm

I'd leave Kalingrad out.

Graphics wise, I think the mountains and oceans need the most work right now. Neither is very visually pleasing. For the mountains, try making them less tall, and maybe a bit wider. And use a few different shapes so you avoid a dotted line effect. For the ocean, try adding a texture to it. I'd give it a gradient, too, getting lighter near the coast. Right now you have a lighter line - either blur that into the ocean better, so there's no sharp line, or get rid of what you have there and just add a gradient in.

I don't like how the legend is split into two parts. You can't really fit it into one, though, without making the map wider. It might be better to ditch the legend altogether and replace it with a minimap. This could probably fit into the space used right now by the top legend box. Then you can move the impassables and capital bonus down below and explain it better. Is the capital bonus +1/capital, or +1 for all 3? I also don't think your +5 for each total country is great, gameplay wise. If you're looking to do World 2.1 type bonuses, with continents and subcontinents, then they should have different values - not all be +5. Lithuania should be worth the least, then Estonia, and then Latvia, I think.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby MrBenn on Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:29 pm

Kaliningrad is a Russian exclave, and is not one of the Baltic states; so I would leave it out ;-)

Kaliningrad was previously under German rule, and was formerly known as Königsberg; famous for association with the Königsberg bridges problem... [/trivia]
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Juan_Bottom on Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:38 am

MrBenn wrote:Kaliningrad is a Russian exclave, and is not one of the Baltic states; so I would leave it out ;-)

Kaliningrad was previously under German rule, and was formerly known as Königsberg; famous for association with the Königsberg bridges problem... [/trivia]

Eh, It's not like it's hurting anything though...

Re: Baltic States [Updated on Jul. 27 pg. 1 and 4]

Postby l3eater on Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:36 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Sorry i hadn't updated it in a while, my cousin came over so im sure of in a mini-vac. The ocean IMO looks good, however thats for you to decide.

The newest addition to the map is the airport and the planes, here's why, google Baltic Air Policing, that should tell you why. Anyways, the entire airspace of the baltic states is patrolled by 4 planes from the UN, currently the German Airforce.
Private l3eater

Re: Baltic States [Updated on Jul. 27 pg. 1 and 4]

Postby RjBeals on Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:43 pm

Looking good. Most impressed how far you've come. Are you going to add bonus region names? So I don't have to say the red and the orange regions looks like the bonus values should be swapped.
Private RjBeals

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box