Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Skyscrapers

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Skyscrapers (V3, pg 3, 2/22/09)

Postby lozzini on Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:03 pm

how about numbering the split ones 'petronus A1' or 'eiffel A1' and labelling them with just A1 etc. so have one isde for a and one for b?

and i am liking the graphics this project is going reli well
Top Rank: Captain
Top Score: 1835
Top Pos: 1707
Nothing ventured... nothing gained
Sergeant 1st Class lozzini

Postby barterer2002 on Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:17 pm

sully800 wrote:Whoops! The legend should read "beacons can assault all other beacons and bombard any other territory". Will change in the next draft.

I wonder if that gives too much power to the beacons. For instance, wouldn't it be smart to just stack your armies on a beacon and bombard the other players out of the game? Maybe that's the point but being able to bombard any other territory seems too much to me.
Major barterer2002

Postby lozzini on Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:41 pm

barterer2002 wrote:
sully800 wrote:Whoops! The legend should read "beacons can assault all other beacons and bombard any other territory". Will change in the next draft.

I wonder if that gives too much power to the beacons. For instance, wouldn't it be smart to just stack your armies on a beacon and bombard the other players out of the game? Maybe that's the point but being able to bombard any other territory seems too much to me.

i believe beacons reset to nuetral at the start of the holidng players turn similarly to arms race
Top Rank: Captain
Top Score: 1835
Top Pos: 1707
Nothing ventured... nothing gained
Sergeant 1st Class lozzini

Postby a.sub on Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:13 pm

stack below a beacon, bombard everybody, fort back below the becon
Cadet a.sub

Postby barterer2002 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:03 am

lozzini wrote:
barterer2002 wrote:

i believe beacons reset to nuetral at the start of the holidng players turn similarly to arms race

Thanks, I missed that. I wonder what the purpose of assaulting (rather than bombarding) other beacons is then.

Also, I think perhaps the attack route onto the beacons should be one way as the arms race ones are. In other words, its a powerful spot and if you want to use it go ahead but here is the cost when you do.
Major barterer2002

Postby sully800 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:32 am

My thoughts on the beacons was just an initial gameplay idea, I'm very open to change about how they should function.

I agree that the route to the beacon would need to be 1 way to prevent fortifying back to the tower, but perhaps the beacons still have too much power.

Perhaps beacons should be able to bombard any regular territory but the beacons don't connect to each other. Then if there is no neutral reset players wouldn't be able to wipe each other out through the beacon (you'd have to climb down your own tower and go back up the enemies. hmmmm :-k
Major sully800

Postby a.sub on Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:19 pm

just a sporadic thought, why not make it so that beacons can only bombard everything but other towers, and all players start with only one beacon. that way, although u can bombard via beacons, you have to climb down the tower to get to other players.
Cadet a.sub

Postby barterer2002 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:05 pm

I don't see how that's going to work. its going to be endless build since if you start down your tower the other guy just bombards you back to the stone ages so you sit on the beacon and build-everyone sits and builds, if anyone moves they're shot to crap.

If you're going to allow the beacons to bombard all the other terts then they almost have to auto reset every turn. You can't allow players to sit on a tert that can bombard, essentially , the entire board.
Major barterer2002

Postby a.sub on Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:31 pm

then how about my same idea with an auto reset on the beacons and players start with the space below the beacon which cant be bombarded?
Cadet a.sub

Postby barterer2002 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:31 am

I'm not sure that this map is best suited for Conquest style play. Personally I'd prefer to see all the terts taken up with players so that you have to attack each other

I think the game play is going to be long here as almost every tert can be used as a choke hold (which is why some remote bombardment is a good idea but I don't see why we would start with most of the terts in neutral. Also, with your suggestion, I think there would be a great advantage to holding a shorter tower like St. Marys so that you're able to get to the ground quickly and move up your opponents tower before they're on the ground.

The biggest problem, gameplay wise, with this map is that every tert is a choke point. The bombardment from the beacons helps with that but if the beacons don't auto reset and have one way entries then they themselves become too powerful. I'm not in favor of making it a conquest style map because I think the end result of that will be that players will just sit and if an opponent moves they'll bombard him to death but they'll sit and move only when they have enough armies to get from their tower over to the next tower (hence the advantage of the low tower-although it also becomes a disadvantage as you become a target too).
Major barterer2002

Postby MrBenn on Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:06 pm

Your graphics are brilliant - my concern is still to do with the gameplay, which is currently proving far too linear... Is there any way you could introduce connections between towers other than the tops and the bottoms?
For example you could bombard/one-way attack other towers from viewing platforms such as CN Tower 8.

I'm not sold on the killer neutral/bombard everywhere of the beacons... there doesn't seem to be any logic or real-world rationale behind it... My random idea (that I'm not too sure how you'd implement) is to add in some elevators... so that you could skip from the 2nd floor of the Eiffel tower to the 8th floor or something (as you can in real life ;-))... In fact, a killer neutral elevator in each tower would open up the tower and might solve the complete linear play... Hmmm... the more I think about it, the more potential I see in this idea....
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby sully800 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:26 pm

MrBenn wrote:Your graphics are brilliant - my concern is still to do with the gameplay, which is currently proving far too linear... Is there any way you could introduce connections between towers other than the tops and the bottoms?
For example you could bombard/one-way attack other towers from viewing platforms such as CN Tower 8.

I'm not sold on the killer neutral/bombard everywhere of the beacons... there doesn't seem to be any logic or real-world rationale behind it... My random idea (that I'm not too sure how you'd implement) is to add in some elevators... so that you could skip from the 2nd floor of the Eiffel tower to the 8th floor or something (as you can in real life ;-))... In fact, a killer neutral elevator in each tower would open up the tower and might solve the complete linear play... Hmmm... the more I think about it, the more potential I see in this idea....

I agree that the linearity is still a problem. I also want to keep the map intuitive so all attack routes should be clear and make sense. An elevator makes a lot of sense so if I can figure out how to make the routes clear I will work on including it.

The version I'm working on right now splits Petronas into 2 separate towers, so each territory number is the same as all territories on that level. I'm also going to scrap the CN Tower and Eiffel Tower so this only includes skyscrapers that are buildings. Perhaps I can create a future "Towers" map at some later point
Major sully800

Postby Marfski on Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:52 pm

Wow what a wonderful idea for a map!!! I might have come across it late but I read all of the thread and I love it.

But PLEASE don't make it another King of the Mountains! This map is a brilliant idea and the graphics are great, but there must be a way to attack between the towers.

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best, the work that has gone into the towers and layout must have been exhaustive, and I don't really think anyone that is playing it will really care how you hook up the connect routes between buildings, but connect them please!!!!!!!

You know how corporations, hospitals, etc have tube systems for transferring blood, mail, etc? What about a tube system between the buildings?

A simple round transparent tube that will be situated between towers at intervals you deem appropriate and the mail can be transferred in this manner. Maybe put a silly little letter graphic, or pony express graphic or whatever?

Great job Sully!!!!
Sergeant Marfski

Postby a.sub on Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:27 pm

how about this, you can only attack up buildings, but you can attack the "floor" below you on the building adjacent?
Cadet a.sub

Postby MrBenn on Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:51 pm

a.sub wrote:how about this, you can only attack up buildings, but you can attack the "floor" below you on the building adjacent?

I personally think that rules such as this would be unnecessarily complicated, and it doesn't have any real-world logic to it!
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Merciless Wong on Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:30 pm

Add lawyers and bankers into the towers with a rule that lawyers can bombard each other or bankers and bankers can invade other bankers?
Sergeant 1st Class Merciless Wong

Postby barterer2002 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:53 pm

I was reading another map idea yesterday where the gameplay idea was that any tert could attack any other tert regardless of where they are on the map. I don't know that it would work here like that but you could do a gameplay idea where any tert within a tower can attack any other tert within a tower (theorically using elavators to navigate up and down without having to draw in the elevators). This leaves choke points on the ground of course but its better. Maybe someone can take this to the next level too.
Major barterer2002

Postby MrBenn on Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:25 pm

barterer2002 wrote:I was reading another map idea yesterday where the gameplay idea was that any tert could attack any other tert regardless of where they are on the map. I don't know that it would work here like that but you could do a gameplay idea where any tert within a tower can attack any other tert within a tower (theorically using elavators to navigate up and down without having to draw in the elevators). This leaves choke points on the ground of course but its better. Maybe someone can take this to the next level too.

I would prefer this if the elevator were an actual territory... You could then take the elevator and ride it all day, attacking everybody from it... which makes a lot more sense than adding bankers - although I imagine a lot of people would enjoy the thought of attacking bankers right now! :lol:
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby yeti_c on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:04 am

Elevators on the ground floor seem to be a good idea to me?

Perhaps a set of Underground tube stations that mean you can attack any building from the tube station?

I know that this still leaves a lot of choke points - but at least it means that once you breach one of them - then you can hose out the player a lot easier than having to roll them up the tower.

Then again - perhaps that is actually a good bit of game play - if everyone starts across the different towers randomly deployed - the initial fight will be to grab and contains a tower... then you have to try to branch out - and take other towers from other people - if you Branch out too much - you'll lose your own tower - if you branch out too little - someone else will grab a tower - and will take the other towers from you...

It might work as is (without the beacons).

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Joodoo on Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:27 am

I think it would be better if the beacon wasn't reset to neutral every round, because in my opinion, it's better for it to be part of the entire skyscraper bonus...
TheSaxlad wrote:The Dice suck a lot of the time.

And if they dont suck then they blow.

:D
Lieutenant Joodoo

Postby barterer2002 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:30 am

I'm not sure how graphically an elevator would look on the map. I like the look of the buildings at this point and adding in an elevator IMO will detract from that. I was trying to combine the real world ideas of the map with the issue of having too many choke points. IMO adding an elevator tert which can attack each of the other terts is a visual detraction and doesn't solve the game play issues. I'm not sure why MrBenn is associating my idea with attacking bankers since I didn't discuss bankers and don't really like that bart of the idea.

JooDoo-IMO if the beacons aren't going to reset every round then they can't be allowed to bombard or assault all the other terts. Its a mistake to give too much power to a position that a player can sit and build on.
Major barterer2002

Postby ustus on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:49 am

I would suggest some system connecting the buildings at points chosen for purposes of gameplay. this would eliminate the problem of linearity without resorting to bombardment.

i return to the original list of suggestions:
Airplanes (discarded due to historical implications [oops :oops: ])
Telephone/electrical wiring (i realize it doesn't actually stretch from skyscraper to skyscraper, but...
the Tube Transfer system used by hospitals and etc. *my fav. seems most logical.
Parachuters which start on one SPECIFIC floor and can either attack one floor located lower down a neighboring building, or multiple

I'll also add some of my own new ones:
a helipad at the top of some buildings and all helipads can attack each other
snakes and ladders (while i'm at it, this could make an interesting map... :idea: ) kidding bout the snakes, but.....
snipers (path of the bullet = one way attack)

ummm... that's all i've got, but this list shows, you don't have to use bombardment :roll: much less have a terit that can bombard everything else...
Corporal ustus

Postby barterer2002 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:47 pm

ustus wrote:I would suggest some system connecting the buildings at points chosen for purposes of gameplay. this would eliminate the problem of linearity without resorting to bombardment.

i return to the original list of suggestions:
Airplanes (discarded due to historical implications [oops :oops: ])
Telephone/electrical wiring (i realize it doesn't actually stretch from skyscraper to skyscraper, but...
the Tube Transfer system used by hospitals and etc. *my fav. seems most logical.
Parachuters which start on one SPECIFIC floor and can either attack one floor located lower down a neighboring building, or multiple

I'll also add some of my own new ones:
a helipad at the top of some buildings and all helipads can attack each other
snakes and ladders (while i'm at it, this could make an interesting map... :idea: ) kidding bout the snakes, but.....
snipers (path of the bullet = one way attack)

ummm... that's all i've got, but this list shows, you don't have to use bombardment :roll: much less have a terit that can bombard everything else...

I don't know that I like any of these options. The Helipad is fine instead of the beacons, I'm OK either way there but still you're going to have choke points at the top and bottom of the buildings. Some of the ideas here are really similar to bombardment except that they become one way attacks instead of straight bombardment. I'm not sure how that makes them better than bombardment. I especially feel this way about the sniper which seems to be that it should be bombardment as the attack force doesn't move with the bullet in real life-the bullet kills the enemy but there is still no way across to the other building.
Major barterer2002

Postby Merciless Wong on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:22 pm

Put Banks, oil companies, defense companies and Lawyers in there.Rival banks can attack each other.rival lawyers attack each other, etc. Small bonus for getting majority of one type of business....
Sergeant 1st Class Merciless Wong

Postby sailorseal on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:24 pm

This looks like a great map! Be back later with comments
Cook sailorseal

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box