Conquer Club

Battle For Iraq! [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby mibi on Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:54 pm

yeti_c wrote:
mibi wrote:thats an idea, but i'd rather not redesign the whole thing.... also many of the city names cant really go verticle like that. I may be able to squeeze some more pixels out tho..

do the 888's center on the center of the 88 or do they just tack on an extra digit?

I believe they're centred the same as an 88 with the new 8 on the front (left).

What about a staggered system...

i.e.

88 88 88 88 - CITY NAME - 88 88 88 88
CITY NAME - 88 88 88 88 - CITY NAME

OR

CITY NAME - - - - - - - - - - CITY NAME
88 88 88 88 - CITY NAME - 88 88 88 88
- - - - - - - - - 88 88 88 88

C.

I think I will have to flip it on its side and have the thrid digit just bound out of the box like you suggested above... the map will have to move over and the loyaty legend will have to move down.. so this will take some retooling....

all for those blasted third digits...!
Captain mibi

Postby mibi on Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:55 pm

yeti_c wrote:
benjikat wrote:
mibi wrote:do the 888's center on the center of the 88 or do they just tack on an extra digit?

The first 2 digits stay in the same place and the third is added to the right of them.

To the RIGHT? Well that's unexpected!

C.

see for your self,

http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?gam ... 7#map-cell
Captain mibi

Postby yeti_c on Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:56 pm

mibi wrote:
yeti_c wrote:
benjikat wrote:
mibi wrote:do the 888's center on the center of the 88 or do they just tack on an extra digit?

The first 2 digits stay in the same place and the third is added to the right of them.

C.

see for your self,

Well bugger.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby benjikat on Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:01 pm

It's even more obvious here:
[url]
http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?gam ... 1#map-cell[/url]
Sergeant 1st Class benjikat

Postby Qwert on Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:31 pm

How many px need,i know these.
one number 8px
two 16px
three 24px
so if you want to look good its best for army shadows to be 24px,and for these bonus box its must be at least 28px.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby mibi on Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:00 pm

qwert wrote:How many px need,i know these.
one number 8px
two 16px
three 24px
so if you want to look good its best for army shadows to be 24px,and for these bonus box its must be at least 28px.

even at 24 px, the third digit for some reason is completely on the right. If the three digits centered like the two digits it wouldnt be such an issue...
Captain mibi

Postby yeti_c on Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:02 pm

mibi wrote:
qwert wrote:How many px need,i know these.
one number 8px
two 16px
three 24px

even at 24 px, the third digit for some reason is completely on the right. If the three digits centered like the two digits it wouldnt be such an issue...

I'm with Mibi - the number doesn't have to fit in the box for three - but it has to not clash with the next number...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Qwert on Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:15 pm

Its look that you dont understand me MIbi,i say that 24px is good for Army SHadows on map(not for Bonus box) for two digit,because Army shadows is not close to each others Army shadows,but in bonus box these can be a problem and if someon have 100 army then these will be a problem.
You have space on yours map and you can create Army shadows to be 24px.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby yamahafazer on Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:01 am

AndyDufresne wrote:
yeti_c wrote:I can - I think that 1 pixel between them is too little...

C.

Agreed with Yeti_c. When the Rail USA map was in production, WM had to deal with spacing similar to yours, to allow for no overlapping 3 digit coordinates. Even though 3 digits aren't normal, they sometimes do come up in long regular games, and coordinates should always be as clear as they possibly can be. Very few real games ever get to 4 digits (builds games don't count) so 3 this most you should have to prepare for.

(The two Karbala's have this problem also).

--Andy

I have to say that for colour blind people who have the colour blind setting turned on as I do 3 digits are a constantly ocoring thing... and 4 digits rearly come up.... I like this map but for me or anyone else with colourblind settings turned on this map is going to be a real pig to read...
Private 1st Class yamahafazer

Postby yamahafazer on Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:07 am

yeti_c wrote:
mibi wrote:
yeti_c wrote:
benjikat wrote:

C.

see for your self,

Well bugger.

C.

The last time anyone took another teritory on that game was in JULY....... :shock: MY GOODNESS!!!!! That games been going a WHOLE YEAR!!!!!!
Private 1st Class yamahafazer

Postby yeti_c on Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:11 am

yamahafazer wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:
yeti_c wrote:I can - I think that 1 pixel between them is too little...

C.

Agreed with Yeti_c. When the Rail USA map was in production, WM had to deal with spacing similar to yours, to allow for no overlapping 3 digit coordinates. Even though 3 digits aren't normal, they sometimes do come up in long regular games, and coordinates should always be as clear as they possibly can be. Very few real games ever get to 4 digits (builds games don't count) so 3 this most you should have to prepare for.

(The two Karbala's have this problem also).

--Andy

I have to say that for colour blind people who have the colour blind setting turned on as I do 3 digits are a constantly ocoring thing... and 4 digits rearly come up.... I like this map but for me or anyone else with colourblind settings turned on this map is going to be a real pig to read...

You make a fair point here Yamaha - I'd completely forgotten about the Colourblind thing...

C>
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:49 pm

Agreed, I also forgot about the colorbind setting. Another good reason. :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby yeti_c on Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:50 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Agreed, I also forgot about the colorbind setting. Another good reason. :)

--Andy

Not just a good reason - but a necessity for this to be adhered too...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

!

Postby benjikat on Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:33 pm

I know I am repeating myself here, but I beseech you to reconsider that exclamation mark.

Imagine "World War Two!" or "Pearl Harbor!".

IMO it is demeaning to a real world conflict, in that it gives it the feel of a tongue-in-cheek B-movie.

I'll say no more on the subject, but hope that anyone else who agrees with me pipes up at this point...
Sergeant 1st Class benjikat

Postby SWeko on Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:00 pm

Yes, it is a current issue, but I agree with benjikat on the exclamation mark thingie.

Otherwise, looking forward to playing this map, it has a unique RPG element :)
Captain SWeko

Postby edbeard on Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:27 pm

I think you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill.

I don't like having an exclamation mark on the map titles, but this is mibi's trademark I guess. His map. His decision.

To say an EXCLAMATION MARK is demeaning to real world conflicts is ridiculous. No offense but you're being too sensitive here. It's a vertical line above a dot.
Lieutenant edbeard

Re: !

Postby mibi on Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:21 pm

benjikat wrote:I know I am repeating myself here, but I beseech you to reconsider that exclamation mark.

Imagine "World War Two!" or "Pearl Harbor!".

IMO it is demeaning to a real world conflict, in that it gives it the feel of a tongue-in-cheek B-movie.

I'll say no more on the subject, but hope that anyone else who agrees with me pipes up at this point...

I actually agree, it does add a bit of an out-of-place comic aspect to the map. However, that being said, I am ignoring that, or should I say, my selfish desire to add exclamation points to all my maps trumps any connotations the character brings to the table.
Captain mibi

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:33 pm

edbeard wrote:I think you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill.

I don't like having an exclamation mark on the map titles, but this is mibi's trademark I guess. His map. His decision.

To say an EXCLAMATION MARK is demeaning to real world conflicts is ridiculous. No offense but you're being too sensitive here. It's a vertical line above a dot.
I agree. Leave it.
Major WidowMakers

Postby Coleman on Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:17 am

mibi has an exclamation point after all of his maps. :roll:
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby mibi on Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:00 pm

Changes:

1 Thanks to yeti_c and others, a solution ws found for the 3 digits and colorblind numbers. They now gleefully bound out of the vertical boxes with no interference from other digits.

2. The darker circles in baghdad which were no condusive to green and blue CC digits have been lightened.

Clean map.

With 2 and 3 digits

With starting neutrals

small clean map

Small with digits

Last edited by mibi on Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain mibi

Postby RjBeals on Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:27 pm

mibi - your best work so far. Very good. This should be in final forge for sure.
Private RjBeals

Postby mibi on Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:31 pm

RjBeals wrote:mibi - your best work so far. Very good. This should be in final forge for sure.

Thanks. I am really happy with this one. I think the unique 'choose a faction' gameplay + topical issue + killer graphics = a real winner.
Captain mibi

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:05 pm

RjBeals wrote:mibi - your best work so far. Very good. This should be in final forge for sure.
I agree. It looks great. Very used and rugged. Like it is a used military map in the middle of the battle. I really like the way the cities turned out as well. I like them this way more than the previous

Just quick question, is the map supposed to have high contrast. There are some parts that are really dark and some very bright. It might just be my monitor but It looks the same at work too. Just asking

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby mibi on Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:34 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
I agree. It looks great. Very used and rugged. Like it is a used military map in the middle of the battle. I really like the way the cities turned out as well. I like them this way more than the previous

Just quick question, is the map supposed to have high contrast. There are some parts that are really dark and some very bright. It might just be my monitor but It looks the same at work too. Just asking

WM

um... are you talking about the 'overhead' lights?
Captain mibi

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:02 pm

mibi wrote:um... are you talking about the 'overhead' lights?
I guess. The very bright area is at the bottom by your sig, in the middle of Baghdad and it is very dark over the loyalties bonus description and the Baghdad bonus description.
Major WidowMakers

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas