Conquer Club

Supermax: Prison Riot! [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby mibi on Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:06 pm

Coleman wrote:
tim02 wrote:ok I get it :idea:

like the new updates
but what will players start out as and what will be neutral?

My understanding is that all the guards and the gas chamber will be neutral to start. The Hole and Weapons and gang members will not be. I may be wrong as mibi and I haven't really talked much lately.

the gas chamber, guards, white spaces, and weapons will be neutral with varying amounts that i will work out later. the warden and gas chamber will be more, like 6 or something.

yeti_c wrote:Minor - but your legend still has circles for guards...

C.

thanks, i'll fix it/

Kaplowitz wrote:Big Kiko looks strange, the font has white stuff around it.

didnt i say he was someones bitch.

unriggable wrote:First off, this update is SICK. Second of all, the army circles look a bit too cartooney compared to the rest of the map, do you think you can make is a bit darker?

the problem is devising a color combination that does three things, represents the gang, is different from other gangs, and works well with the CC number colors. right now i have to tweak some colors because they clash with CC. I dunno, maybe they could all be darker or something, we'll see.

Coleman wrote:
unriggable wrote:First off, this update is SICK. Second of all, the army circles look a bit too cartooney compared to the rest of the map, do you think you can make is a bit darker?

First off, I'm not disagreeing with you. However, gangs tend to like flashy clashing colors. They help distinguish who belongs with who easier, and they throw a bit more of the don't mess with us vibe.

If mibi wants to create an alternate darker version I'd be interested in seeing what seems better, although I like that the playable area stands out from the background art.

To mibi: I had a play test, but not with my usual group, under the assumption guards, rooms, and weapons were neutral 3 and the gas chamber was neutral 6 and everything else was divided up.

There is a tendency here to ignore the middle at first and try to get as many cell blocks as you can, then to finally start attacking the guards to get more cell blocks and using the guards to decrease borders. Once enough of the guards are held by people it became a race for the warden.

Once someone had the warden it was trying to keep the gas chamber away from that person. By this point each player had most of a gang and the player with the warden also had a gang and most of the new fish and was dominating, that person eventually won.

I could see this going another way where nobody ever tries to go for the warden. But usually (I think) when you have a lot of guards and aren't getting anything for it the Warden becomes desirable.

No one ever wanted the hole, and those that were stuck with some of it tended to place a higher priority on weapons. There never seemed to be a reason to take most of the whole until the end when people wanted to complete their gangs or eliminate other players.

Anyway, just some fyi stuff. I didn't mind game play turning out that way. Seems to follow how a riot would go, getting a united group of prisoners first, then going after the guards, and then getting control for yourself.

Thanks for the play test. Maybe the warden neutral could be higher to make the person have to sacrifice in order to take it, there by giving up some gang positions. Im not sure. And yeah the hole seems to be the weak spot on the map with little incentive expecially if someone already holds the warden. Maybe the hole can cancel out if you have guards 602 and 603. What about the weapons? were they a factor or was the +1 negiliable compared to the gang bonuses. I would have thought people would have gone for them first.

DiM wrote:1st thing. i hate the size regulations but since we have to obey i have a problem with the small size image. i resized it to 630*600 and i gotta say it looks like crap. the army circles would be too damn small to fit the cells, the names will either be impossible to read or if they are increased to the proper size some won't fit and the overall aspect will be a flood of text.

2nd. what are the names for the white circles at the entrances to cell blocks

3rd. the small explanation at the bottom is kinda confusing. players can attack anyone in the same room or adjacent room. what do you mean adjacent room? because let's look at the bottom right corner, can luis attack gary? they are in adjacent rooms...

4th and last. the font. R resembles too much with A

Yeah the small version is going to look like shit, There is nothing I can do about that. tHe names are readable although just barely and the circles will be bursting out of the cells. OH well, the best i can do with the current 'rules' is to give the CC user the choice between the fullsized map and the small map, which obivously doenst look nearly as good as the fullsized one. This map as are others working their way through the process is more complex and detailed then previous maps, and unfortunately doesn't mesh will with the size 'rules'. but you know this.

the names of the white circles will be "Cell block A entrance" and only viewable in the XML. and i will change the wording to.

and about the font, oh well, the names are pretty recognizable as SAUL and not SRUL, i think at least.

Keredrex wrote:Looking Good... But i still think the Outside Background Should Be Much Lighter... I imagine this prison out in the middle of Nevada or Arizona... Desolate... Nothing but Desert around wich would make everything outside the prison walls a SAND Texture maybe some Rocky Sandstone like texture with a few patches of the texture you used in the Center Yard... It would help reading the names

I prefer to keep the back ground dark and bit gloomy and confined. and lightening of it to a sand color or something would inject too much "cheer" in this less than rosy prison riot.
Captain mibi

Postby Coleman on Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:06 pm

mibi wrote:What about the weapons? were they a factor or was the +1 negiliable compared to the gang bonuses. I would have thought people would have gone for them first.

Coleman wrote:No one ever wanted the hole, and those that were stuck with some of [the hole] tended to place a higher priority on weapons. There never seemed to be a reason to take most of the hole until the end when people wanted to complete their gangs or eliminate other players.

For the most part if a weapon was easy to take people took them, but people with the hole fought harder for them (or I did anyway and I had 2 in the hole) so the tendency was that people with the hole got most of the weapons mid game.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Keredrex on Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:04 pm

mibi wrote:
I prefer to keep the back ground dark and bit gloomy and confined. and lightening of it to a sand color or something would inject too much "cheer" in this less than rosy prison riot.

I know what you mean... How about getting rid of the Gradient then... Keep the Darkened background but It is easier to read on a flat color ...
Sergeant 1st Class Keredrex

Postby Coleman on Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:30 am

JEWSEEPHISH wrote:I don't get it. Why was there a negative incentive for holding the hole??? If anything a gang would go for it because it's a separate easily defended section of the prison. However the hole would be hard to take because of the # of guards in an actual riot. If anything I would imagine the hole being an incentive because it gives you a detached member of your gang. and control of the others. Just something to think about, Prisoners in solitary confinement usually cant join a riot, because they get no time outside. Therefore they should be neutral but provide an incentive for releasing them. This is just one opinion and I'm not too possessive of it. I just want to provide a solution, cause I really wanna play this map. :D

I agree with this guy I think. I've never liked negative bonuses, but it's mibi's vision. I am just code and game play support.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby mibi on Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:12 am

Coleman wrote:
JEWSEEPHISH wrote:I don't get it. Why was there a negative incentive for holding the hole??? If anything a gang would go for it because it's a separate easily defended section of the prison. However the hole would be hard to take because of the # of guards in an actual riot. If anything I would imagine the hole being an incentive because it gives you a detached member of your gang. and control of the others. Just something to think about, Prisoners in solitary confinement usually cant join a riot, because they get no time outside. Therefore they should be neutral but provide an incentive for releasing them. This is just one opinion and I'm not too possessive of it. I just want to provide a solution, cause I really wanna play this map. :D

I agree with this guy I think. I've never liked negative bonuses, but it's mibi's vision. I am just code and game play support.

I like the negative bonus for the fact that you can lock other players in the hole by holding both guards. I might change the warden requirement to the two guards requirement tho.

They cant be neutral however because the number of starting playable areas is 90, which is a good number, 85, not so much.
Captain mibi

Postby Gnome on Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:19 am

mibi wrote:
Coleman wrote:

I like the negative bonus for the fact that you can lock other players in the hole by holding both guards. I might change the warden requirement to the two guards requirement tho.

They cant be neutral however because the number of starting playable areas is 90, which is a good number, 85, not so much.

It would better to make it holding the guards instead of the warden...becous you can never escape that hole...if some1 is in the hole, whats the advence of holding those 2 guards...they can't get out anyway...or did I miss something...
if it is holding those 2 guards there will be a constant battle to hold them, wich I prefer :wink:
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

The Hole

Postby JEWSEEPHISH on Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:53 am

Just throwing Ideas around, What If you got rid of negative bonuses in the Hole but made it so you could only attack into a hole territory. You could also beef up guards 601, 602, and 603, to a 5 neutral to make it harder to "free" gang members from the hole. This still allows one player to trap another player as you can only attack from 601 and 602, into one of the spots, but also doesn't screw anyone over if they get 3 or more starting spots in he hole. This is just an Idea. It's your map.
Cadet JEWSEEPHISH

Postby mibi on Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:30 pm

Changes:

1. used the word connected instead of adjacent in the movement explanation.

2. removed the extra hole guard and made it so if you hold the one hole guard you dont get the negative bonus. if you hold both the hole guard and the warden you get a positive bonus.

3. some neutrals have been bumped up, warden, some guards.

4. added the word 'door' to the white spaces so they will be refered to as cell block C door

5. someone suggested the circles were too cartoony, so i toned them down with a gradient relevant to the nearest light source. it gives it more a grimy prison feel i think and should take care of some color issues with the CC digits.

6. various other graphical things

Shot at 2007-08-17
Captain mibi

Postby hulmey on Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:03 pm

Looks good...Is the small version or the larger version and is there a cell were we can lock up the mods and brutally torture them?
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby mibi on Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:35 pm

hulmey wrote:Looks good...Is the small version or the larger version and is there a cell were we can lock up the mods and brutally torture them?

thats in the small version.
Captain mibi

Postby hulmey on Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:06 pm

if u go to DIM's map thread and u will see he is having problems with his map coz of the size. Yours seems to be the same size so u may encounter problems as well...
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby mibi on Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:45 pm

hulmey wrote:if u go to DIM's map thread and u will see he is having problems with his map coz of the size. Yours seems to be the same size so u may encounter problems as well...

this map conforms to the size rules from what andy and keyogi have said. at least the large version does.
Captain mibi

Postby hulmey on Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:11 pm

it doesnt as far as i can see..have you checked the guidelines for how large a map should be?
Lieutenant hulmey

Prison Riot

Postby asl80 on Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:00 am

Very very good. Looks exciting.
WIll get lots of attention for sure.
Lieutenant asl80

Postby KEYOGI on Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:37 am

Map size is fine at 810x720, which is what I can see.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby mibi on Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:04 am

hulmey wrote:it doesnt as far as i can see..have you checked the guidelines for how large a map should be?

AndyDufresne wrote:Regarding the size issue, maximum dimensions should be 840x800 and 630x600...they are nice round figures. :)

--Andy

Perhaps you missed the post where i shrunk my map down.
Captain mibi

Postby hulmey on Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:51 pm

yes more than likely.....Sorry wasnt trying to throw your map of course. Was more to try and prove a point!!
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby Coleman on Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:53 pm

I'm thinking any smart player with the opportunity to move first will quickly take all those easy 1 army neutrals from the center.

I have no idea how this will impact game play. I haven't run all the numbers in my head yet. I'm guessing it would depend on if the other players view them as useless territories early on and don't take them away.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby edbeard on Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:33 am

I'm guessing you had them with 3 armies in your play test? I think they'll probably serve as that's where I'm attacking unless I have cards to turn in or unless I have a fairly sizeable bonus. I'm not sure that's a good thing.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby mibi on Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:07 am

Coleman wrote:I'm thinking any smart player with the opportunity to move first will quickly take all those easy 1 army neutrals from the center.

I have no idea how this will impact game play. I haven't run all the numbers in my head yet. I'm guessing it would depend on if the other players view them as useless territories early on and don't take them away.

what could possible be the benefit from holding a bunch of territories that don't have any bonus?
Captain mibi

Postby Coleman on Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:28 am

Well there are enough of them it should get you an extra army per turn on most player numbers. Like I said, I kind of see the value of it, but most don't, which may even make them more dangerous, but I'm sure they are fine as is.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby mibi on Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:11 pm

Coleman wrote:Well there are enough of them it should get you an extra army per turn on most player numbers. Like I said, I kind of see the value of it, but most don't, which may even make them more dangerous, but I'm sure they are fine as is.

well its true you might get an extra army per turn, but you also have a hell of a lot of spaces to defend to snag a +1 or +2 if you have six. One is better off taking down a weapon that has 4 armies then 3 spaces with 1 each since with a weapon you only have to hold one spot.
that being said, i woul;dnt mind putting 2 neutrals on each space. That would make the warden even more of a fight and sacrifice, futher pushing a player awa from the gangs and towards the guards. With the new hole bonus i'd image a player who got a -2 or greater in the hole would certainly make a push for the warden.

btw, in your play testing, what was the higher number of gang members achieved. that to me is the biggest mystery with this map, whether the gang bonus are proportionate to their difficulty. ofcourse in the end game a full gang could be acheived but im talking earlier than that.
Captain mibi

Gangs

Postby JEWSEEPHISH on Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:04 pm

I've noticed that the Black Guerilla family has 4 members in one cell block. All others have 3 at max. Also there're only 2 guerilla's in the yard. I'd Imagine since most of their members are centralized, they'd be easier to hold. Maybe you could swap a guerilla in Gen. Pop. for a new fish in the yard.
TheLonious
Cadet JEWSEEPHISH

Postby Coleman on Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:12 pm

Black Guerilla was the first, but in my only play test I think we had 3 in all the neutral spots.

For most of the game until one player started dominating. The 10 member bonus was the most common.
Sergeant Coleman

Re: Gangs

Postby mibi on Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:36 pm

JEWSEEPHISH wrote:I've noticed that the Black Guerilla family has 4 members in one cell block. All others have 3 at max. Also there're only 2 guerilla's in the yard. I'd Imagine since most of their members are centralized, they'd be easier to hold. Maybe you could swap a guerilla in Gen. Pop. for a new fish in the yard.

yeah that makes sense.
Captain mibi

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas