Conquer Club

Solar System ERROR FIX v1.0.2 (w/ PSD files) [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby maxdetjens on Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:25 pm

Good Lookin' out.
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby KEYOGI on Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:03 pm

Night Strike wrote:Nothing had been posted for almost 24 hours, so I decided to bump it back to the top.

Don't do that or I'll have to start deleting your posts. Give the foundry time to work.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby Night Strike on Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:08 pm

KEYOGI wrote:
Night Strike wrote:Nothing had been posted for almost 24 hours, so I decided to bump it back to the top.

Don't do that or I'll have to start deleting your posts. Give the foundry time to work.

Ok.......but I did look for a suggestion before I did that.

Edit: On Saturn, the words "Equatorial" and "Southern" are not level. The ends of the words drop off. Same with "S. Polar Region" on Jupiter.

Edit 2: Venus and Mars (and perhaps Mercury) overlap their respective army circles. They need to be separated slightly (like the Earth and Moon). (And don't ask how long I stared at the map to find either of those things.)
Major Night Strike

Postby Pious on Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:42 am

This map looks almost done, but these are the problems I found when looking closely at the labels:

N. TEMPERATE BELT

The bold part is lower than the rest on this Jupiter territory label. I remember a problem like this earlier so this is probably not new.

URANUS' HIGH ORBIT

Same thing.

JUPITER'S LOW ORBIT

The S appears to be a font sized bigger than the rest or something.

GREAT RED SPOT

Same thing. The lines also don't look level within this territory name, but that could just be an optical illusion caused by this problem.

S. TEMPERATE BELT

This doesn't look even within itself at all when you look closely, same with S. POLAR REGION and N. POLAR REGION (especially the first) when you look closely.

You should take the time and look at each closely before this map is released just in case there are more I missed. There appeared to be some kind of label problem in areas.
Lieutenant Pious

Postby maxdetjens on Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:40 am

Night Strike wrote:On Saturn, the words "Equatorial" and "Southern" are not level. The ends of the words drop off. Same with "S. Polar Region" on Jupiter.
Venus and Mars (and perhaps Mercury) overlap their respective army circles. They need to be separated slightly (like the Earth and Moon). (And don't ask how long I stared at the map to find either of those things.)

Pious wrote:N. TEMPERATE BELT
The bold part is lower than the rest on this Jupiter territory label. I remember a problem like this earlier so this is probably not new.
URANUS' HIGH ORBIT
Same thing.
JUPITER'S LOW ORBIT
GREAT RED SPOT
Same thing. The lines also don't look level within this territory name, but that could just be an optical illusion caused by this problem.
S. TEMPERATE BELT
This doesn't look even within itself at all when you look closely, same with S. POLAR REGION and N. POLAR REGION (especially the first) when you look closely.

Thank you both. all added to the list.
You should take the time and look at each closely before this map is released...
Bah! thats what your for! :)
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby Coleman on Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:11 am

I've been very excited for this map, how is it going?
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby maxdetjens on Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:21 am

Coleman wrote:I've been very excited for this map, how is it going?
Business is getting the way of fun time (yet again!) I've made a number of the changes but am getting a little stuck on the small version with pixle issues.

This weekend is my best guess.
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby maxdetjens on Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:29 am

MAP TEST

67 Territories, 7 regions, 5 sub-regions, Alternating Jump Gate Bonus, Jump Gates Start with 3 Neutral Armies.

*XML.

Changes:
- Make Small Map
- Pixel Tweek Large map coordinates (moon up 1, J HO down 1)
- change the key to read "Neptune, Moon & Trojans" for consistency
- align the indented sub-continent bonus further right so it starts in line with the first character of the main continent bonus
- the yellow font is a little bright on Saturn. I'll see if i can dial them back and still keep them matching the rest of the text.
- space all names from army circles them away from the army circles a bit.
- On Saturn, the words "Equatorial" and "Southern" are not level. The ends of the words drop off. Same with "S. Polar Region" on Jupiter.
Venus and Mars (and perhaps Mercury) overlap their respective army circles. They need to be separated slightly (like the Earth and Moon).
- N. TEMPERATE BELT
The bold part is lower than the rest on this Jupiter territory label. URANUS' HIGH ORBIT Same thing.
- JUPITER'S LOW ORBIT
- GREAT RED SPOT Same thing. The lines also don't look level within this territory name, but that could just be an optical illusion caused by this problem.
- S. TEMPERATE BELT This doesn't look even within itself at all when you look closely, same with
- S. POLAR REGION and N. POLAR REGION (especially the first) when you look closely.
- Moved some stuff for better spacing

Tasks Included in next update v0.10.3(THIS LIST IS UPDATED UNTIL THE NEXT VERSION)
- More Pixel Tweeking of map coordinates
- It still looks to me like Venus overlaps its army circle.
- "Southern Saturn" is still a little droopy. (The "ern")
- I ahve one cencern. The attack paths are a little pixalated. Fix this with a touch of blur which will soften it up. That should casue any problems becaseu your map has a nice soft theme about it.
- The inner planets don't seem to have the same shading effect applied to them as present on the larger planets. As a result, the difference between the edge of the planet and the glow is a bit too sharp. I think the map would benefit from adding that shade to the inner planets.
- The attack lines through the Asteroid Belt seem to get a bit lost in the red, perhaps see if you add a bit of contrast between them to make things a bit more clear.
- The territory borders on the larger planets could perhaps use a little work. I think they look a little strange on the edges of the planets, specifically the dark side, which is most obvious on Jupiter. Not sure of the best way to solve this, or if it can be solved at all, it's just another minor point to consider.
- Pluto's looking a bit more like a button than a planet. Wink I think it's just the way the texture or shadow sits on it, but comparing it with some of the other planets, it doesn't seem to have that spherical shape.
- the jump gates look a bit pixelated on the small map.
- I like the affect of having the fatter attack lines in the large map. The lines in the small map look pretty wimpy.
-the asteroid belt looks like popcorn. It does, now what you mention it. Maybe making it a less red and seperate then individual particles a bit will stop that effect. Or maybe it will make it worse. Test.
-As a standard, it's usually good to put a game play note on a map that has something unique, like a jump gate (Similar to how helipads were described in the KotM map.)
-The "&" in this font looks like a "6", and I was trying to figure out what it meant Razz - I would use "+" instead.
Last edited by maxdetjens on Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby Keredrex on Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:47 am

Excellent
Sergeant 1st Class Keredrex

Postby KEYOGI on Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:48 am

I'll give this a good look over sometime in the next few days, but it all looks rather impressive. Also, congratulations on the way you've handled yourself, this map making business is never easy.

Postby maxdetjens on Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:15 am

KEYOGI wrote:I'll give this a good look over sometime in the next few days, but it all looks rather impressive. Also, congratulations on the way you've handled yourself, this map making business is never easy.

Thank you. that means a lot. It helps that the vast majority of the input was positive and helpful.
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby Coleman on Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:06 am

I think this is perfect as is once you get the map coordinates down.

Do you need any help locating all the ones that are off?
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Night Strike on Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:17 am

Wow, nice job on the small map map.......that looks like it was tough!!

It still looks to me like Venus overlaps its army circle.

"Southern Saturn" is still a little droopy. (The "ern")

Did you tone down the yellow? I can't tell from this view (or my eyes like me more today).

I don't know if I like the sub-bonuses aligned how they are. I can't think of a good reason to change it back, so I'll just listen to what you and others think.

Good work.
Major Night Strike

Postby gimil on Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:29 am

This map is moving along nicely.

I ahve one cencern. The attack paths are a little pixalated. Fix this with a touch of blur which will soften it up. That should casue any problems becaseu your map has a nice soft theme about it.

keep up tje good work
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Coleman on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:09 am

gimil wrote:This map is moving along nicely.

I ahve one cencern. The attack paths are a little pixalated. Fix this with a touch of blur which will soften it up. That should casue any problems becaseu your map has a nice soft theme about it.

keep up tje good work
I like the pixelation in that regard because it gives it an edgier feel, which is good for the theme.

Night Strike wrote:It still looks to me like Venus overlaps its army circle.
I think I agree with this a little, Venus looks like it has room to be moved a little farther from it's circle.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby gimil on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:15 am

Coleman wrote:I like the pixelation in that regard because it gives it an edgier feel, which is good for the theme.

sorry coleman but im not really convinced. I feel it needs to be smoothed out a little o teh small so it looks more like the large
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Coleman on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:16 am

gimil wrote:
Coleman wrote:I like the pixelation in that regard because it gives it an edgier feel, which is good for the theme.

sorry coleman but im not really convinced. I feel it needs to be smoothed out a little o teh small so it looks more like the large

Oh that I can understand.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby KEYOGI on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:16 pm

I promised to give this a good look over and now I have. :)

The inner planets don't seem to have the same shading effect applied to them as present on the larger planets. As a result, the difference between the edge of the planet and the glow is a bit too sharp. I think the map would benefit from adding that shade to the inner planets.

The attack lines through the Asteroid Belt seem to get a bit lost in the red, perhaps see if you add a bit of contrast between them to make things a bit more clear.

The territory borders on the larger planets could perhaps use a little work. I think they look a little strange on the edges of the planets, specifically the dark side, which is most obvious on Jupiter. Not sure of the best way to solve this, or if it can be solved at all, it's just another minor point to consider.

Pluto's looking a bit more like a button than a planet. :wink: I think it's just the way the texture or shadow sits on it, but comparing it with some of the other planets, it doesn't seem to have that spherical shape.

Is the attack route between Charon and Uranus High Orbit necessary? It seems to interfere with the placement of the territory label and perhaps makes things a little more cluttered and confusing than need be.

The names Charon and Chiron are going to be areas of confusion and frustration as well. If at all possible I would recommend changing one of these.

You've got yourself one intense map there, and I'm afraid it's drained me of all my energy for one day. :P

All those points were the things that immediately stuck out, but I'll give the map an even more detailed look over at some point. Not sure there'll be much to find though, the map is looking pretty solid.

Postby Coleman on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:20 pm

KEYOGI wrote:Pluto's looking a bit more like a button than a planet. :wink: I think it's just the way the texture or shadow sits on it, but comparing it with some of the other planets, it doesn't seem to have that spherical shape.

Pluto isn't a planet. :P

Or did logic lose to tradition. :( I don't remember the outcome of that whole thing.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Night Strike on Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:44 pm

Tradition should win!!! Actually, it does look kinda funny (I laughed when I looked at it after reading KEYOGI's post).

I think the attack lines through the Asteroid Belt are clear enough (much better than the one involving Saturn's Rings), but I'll make a judgment after you adjust it (if you do). But the current asteroid affect around the lines looks cool, so try not to change that.

Removing the attack line between Charon and UHO isn't a bad idea. It would also let you move the moon out slightly. In regards to the similar names, I just noticed yesterday that the Mongol map has two very similar territories right by each other (in the orange area). And others have it too. It's just the players' responsibility to pay attention (and it really sucks when you misdeploy, but it happens to everyone).
Major Night Strike

Postby KEYOGI on Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:21 pm

Coleman wrote:Pluto isn't a planet. :P

Yes, fine I correct my previous statement... Pluto looks more like a button than a dwarf planet. :wink:

I guess some of us are still having trouble adjusting after all these years. :oops:

Postby maxdetjens on Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:44 pm

Night Strike wrote:It still looks to me like Venus overlaps its army circle.

Night Strike wrote:"Southern Saturn" is still a little droopy. (The "ern")

gimil wrote:I ahve one cencern. The attack paths are a little pixalated. Fix this with a touch of blur which will soften it up. That should casue any problems becaseu your map has a nice soft theme about it.

KEYOGI wrote:The inner planets don't seem to have the same shading effect applied to them as present on the larger planets. As a result, the difference between the edge of the planet and the glow is a bit too sharp. I think the map would benefit from adding that shade to the inner planets.

KEYOGI wrote:The attack lines through the Asteroid Belt seem to get a bit lost in the red, perhaps see if you add a bit of contrast between them to make things a bit more clear.

KEYOGI wrote:The territory borders on the larger planets could perhaps use a little work. I think they look a little strange on the edges of the planets, specifically the dark side, which is most obvious on Jupiter. Not sure of the best way to solve this, or if it can be solved at all, it's just another minor point to consider.

KEYOGI wrote:Pluto's looking a bit more like a button than a planet. :wink: I think it's just the way the texture or shadow sits on it, but comparing it with some of the other planets, it doesn't seem to have that spherical shape.

The above have been added to the list
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby maxdetjens on Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:47 pm

KEYOGI wrote:Is the attack route between Charon and Uranus High Orbit necessary? It seems to interfere with the placement of the territory label and perhaps makes things a little more cluttered and confusing than need be.[/qoute] There is no true science reason why those two should be connected. But without that route the Saturn’s High Orbit becomes a very powerful choke point. (forgetting the gates for a moment) it’s the only route from the inside to the outside. A team could conceivably hold both outer giants and the kiuper belt with just that one point. That’s half of a 67 territory map with just 4 choke points. I’m quite reluctant to remove it. I may be able to move Chiron up and increase the angle made at Uranus’ High Orbit allowing me to tuck it in tighter.

KEYOGI wrote:The names Charon and Chiron are going to be areas of confusion and frustration as well. If at all possible I would recommend changing one of these.
Charon is the sister planet of Pluto. Chiron was the first Centaur discovered ( first asteroid that wanders around inside of saturn’s orbit) and is the most “famous” one. I’m not sure what I would change either one to. I know I have screwed a few deployments because of that before. But I think the illegible fonts that have been used in the past have caused me far more grief. I might be able to swap some the names of those “dead space” territories around so that there aren’t any places from which you can attack both.
Coleman wrote:Do you need any help locating all the ones that are off?
Actually yes, all help is welcome. I've lived with the map long enough that I don't notice any one pixel issues any more.
Night Strike wrote:Did you tone down the yellow? I can't tell from this view (or my eyes like me more today).
A little bit. More?
Night Strike wrote:I don't know if I like the sub-bonuses aligned how they are. I can't think of a good reason to change it back, so I'll just listen to what you and others think.
If I was going to change the key I would lose the dashes and put parens around the numbers.
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby maxdetjens on Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:50 pm

Coleman wrote:Pluto isn't a planet. :P
Or did logic lose to tradition. :( I don't remember the outcome of that whole thing.

Night Strike wrote:Tradition should win!!!

Logic and Tradition Lost.

Tradition held Pluto to be a "planet". it has been specifically decreed not a planet because a planet must sweep clear it's orbit.

Logic lost because since it does orbit the sun and is round then it can be a "dwarf planet". But to me... A rain coat is still a coat, so a dwarf planet is still a planet. But it has been specifically decreed not a planet.
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby Night Strike on Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:57 pm

Don't change the key to that suggestion. It wouldn't look as good.

I'll tell you later about the yellow (my eyes are funky at the moment).

I still say people should just suck it up and pay attention to where they attack/deploy or reap the rewards. And agree that fuzzy names are terrible.

Because of the way you've realigned everything since we originally discussed the UHO choke point, I think you can get away with removing Charon/UHO connection. The Kuiper Belt can still be attacked from SHO and Neptune isn't cornered off.
Major Night Strike

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas