Conquer Club

The Citadel [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Citadel V16 (Pg1+17) [I] 6/12/08 Small + Large

Postby gimil on Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:35 pm

Everything is begining to look really neat and tidy now so im not going to suggest anything to change the structure to much, but I do have a laudry list >.<

gimils laudrey list:

1. The buildings are all pretty bold in colour, along with the new gradient look I feel that they are coming along a treat! However I think that to match the bold colours of the buildings the grass and maybe the paths/roads could be a bit more saturated so help the inage flow together a little better.

2. Play around with your title area settings for a while. Right now it kinda looks unloved in the corner.

3. Can I have my name off the map? I dont feel ive helped out nearly as much as RJ has.

4. Shadows in the legends are heading in a different direction from those on the buildings, its really annoying me could you fix it?

5. One thing I dont like about the roads is their plainess. Would you consider adding road lines and such? I think a car park next to chapel hall would be neat.

6. The paths on the map that arnt part of the attack lines between buildings should be darkened a little in my opinion, justto help the actual attack paths stand out a little better.

Ok I think thats enoought for now. Hopefully after this ill be satisfied :D
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby laci_mae on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:12 pm

The Parade Deck wording is still a bit clunky. Perhaps try "Parade Deck reverts to 5 neutral armies at beginning of holding player's next turn."

Important gameplay question: If the Parade Deck is the only territory that a player holds, will it kill them out of the game?

Best,
Laci
Corporal 1st Class laci_mae

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:22 pm

Version 16

TaCktix...very nice. OK, lots of this is really really picky stuff but might improve map if you want to:
1. to move "The Trailers" text away from the army numbers
2. is there any way you could put a little transparent rectangle under that trailers area to define it more so that it actually borders those attack paths -> reasoning the army number and text doesn't site on/within the building.
3. Summer Chapel roofing edges look great, but the trailers doesn't follow this semi transparent style- perhaps give them same appearance like Summerhall Chapel
3. Also BAND is in caps - any reason?
4. don't like the tree as they are iconic side-on views, and most of them appear to be leaning left; i thought the other bush types you had were better, but since i also do this combination of both views on my maps, i won't say change it -> 'cept for the trees leaning.
5. What does ROTC stand for?
6. legend looks much better and easier to follow with that positioning arrangement.
I am almost ready to recommend this for graphics stamp.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby TaCktiX on Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:31 pm

1. to move "The Trailers" text away from the army numbers

2. is there any way you could put a little transparent rectangle under that trailers area to define it more so that it actually borders those attack paths -> reasoning the army number and text doesn't site on/within the building.

Done and done.
3. Summer Chapel roofing edges look great, but the trailers doesn't follow this semi transparent style- perhaps give them same appearance like Summerhall Chapel

Should be a minor edit, didn't think about it.

Two, I got a complaint back around version 9 or 10 that Bond and Band looked way too similar. Second, my home company at said college in Band Company, and whenever we do pushups, we yell that word fairly loudly. Company pride ftw. I may change the font around on the map to see if it fixes any of the decidedly minor anti-aliasing problems I get with text (I'll revert the Band change in such case), though I like the way Century Gothic looks.
4. don't like the tree as they are iconic side-on views, and most of them appear to be leaning left; i thought the other bush types you had were better, but since i also do this combination of both views on my maps, i won't say change it -> 'cept for the trees leaning.

I don't get what you mean by "leaning left". They seem to be just fine to me.

It's what we call it on campus, just the acronym, but it's Reserve Officer Training Corps. Now you see why I'm using the assumed acronym (and that is how it will be on the XML; the curious can look it up online).

laci_mae wrote:The Parade Deck wording is still a bit clunky. Perhaps try "Parade Deck reverts to 5 neutral armies at beginning of holding player's next turn."

I had space concerns, but I'll see if I can add "next" into the wording so people don't get confused.

Important gameplay question: If the Parade Deck is the only territory that a player holds, will it kill them out of the game?

Just like an Arms Race game that ends with both on the Missile Launch, the person who starts their turn loses all their remaining armies to neutral, and loses the game.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby InkL0sed on Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:56 pm

I'm not a fan of these trees, they throw the bird's eye view off...
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:00 pm

TaCktiX wrote:

Two, I got a complaint back around version 9 or 10 that Bond and Band looked way too similar. Second, my home company at said college in Band Company, and whenever we do pushups, we yell that word fairly loudly. Company pride ftw. I may change the font around on the map to see if it fixes any of the decidedly minor anti-aliasing problems I get with text (I'll revert the Band change in such case), though I like the way Century Gothic looks.

Kewl OK. no probs. i understand.

I don't get what you mean by "leaning left". They seem to be just fine to me.
The tree trunks - most of them are slanting left like \ - it's only a minor thing but it would look better to really mix them up.

It's what we call it on campus, just the acronym, but it's Reserve Officer Training Corps. Now you see why I'm using the assumed acronym (and that is how it will be on the XML; the curious can look it up online).
OK, i'm familiar with the term 'coz we have the same here in Oz, but it would be cool if you could include it somewhere on map, but if not then don't bother - just a little extra that will help, that's all.

Looking forward to review the next version. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby laci_mae on Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:45 pm

TaCktiX wrote:
laci_mae wrote:The Parade Deck wording is still a bit clunky. Perhaps try "Parade Deck reverts to 5 neutral armies at beginning of holding player's next turn."

I had space concerns, but I'll see if I can add "next" into the wording so people don't get confused.

="laci_mae"Important gameplay question: If the Parade Deck is the only territory that a player holds, will it kill them out of the game?

Just like an Arms Race game that ends with both on the Missile Launch, the person who starts their turn loses all their remaining armies to neutral, and loses the game.

Adding next might help, possibly adding 5 neutral armies would help as well. You can start that sentence with Parade Deck, "the" is unnecessary.

Where do the cards go if someone is killed out due to the resetting neutrals?

Best,
LMR

Postby TaCktiX on Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:37 pm

The cards and points (if terminator) go to the last player to take a territory from the neutralized player. And the XML will show the 5, I'm just not bothering to do so in the map (all army values are purely sample so no one complains about the lack of circles). And "The" is necessary as that is the name of the territory.
Last edited by TaCktiX on Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby laci_mae on Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:51 am

TaCktiX wrote:The cards go nowhere, they just disappear. And the XML will show the 5, I'm just not bothering to do so in the map (all army values are purely sample so no one complains about the lack of circles). And "The" is necessary as that is the name of the territory.

Done.
LMR

Postby InkL0sed on Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:24 am

TaCktiX wrote:The cards go nowhere, they just disappear. And the XML will show the 5, I'm just not bothering to do so in the map (all army values are purely sample so no one complains about the lack of circles). And "The" is necessary as that is the name of the territory.

Yeti C. disagrees about the cards...
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby TaCktiX on Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:09 am

I spoke in ignorance, editing that wrongness out. ;)

Postby TaCktiX on Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:31 am

Version 17

Updates:
- Made my signature larger and clearer
- Made the grass greener
- Removed gimil's name (by request)
- Changed the font to Verdana and changed Band back to normalcy
- Emphasized the title a little bit stronger
- Flipped some of the trees so that there are left and right-leaners now
- Changed the text shadow to 45 degrees (similar to most of the map's buildings)
- Moved the text of The Trailers, and accompanying army number
- Changed Quad A and Quad B to be on one row, due to the smaller font
- Added parking spaces in the big blank asphalt spots (which are parking lots)
- Muted The Trailers' inner borders
- Darkened slightly all non-attack route sidewalks
- Moved some trees around to not "block" attack routes into the Deck
- Added "next" to the description of the Deck's killer neutral

Small (600x461)
Large (700x538)
Click image to enlarge.

Discussion Points:
- Okay, is there anything that really needs to be done anymore? I mean, seriously.

Re: The Citadel V17 (Pg1+18) [I] 6/17/08 Small + Large

Postby gimil on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:49 am

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby gimil on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:50 am

dont you agree tack that changing the green made all the difference!

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby RjBeals on Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:57 am

I think this map is nearing the final stages. Nice work tac.
Private RjBeals

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:57 am

TaCktiX wrote:Version 17
Discussion Points:
- Okay, is there anything that really needs to be done anymore? I mean, seriously.

I'd be happy to see the roofs fixed as i mentioned before.
The trees look great now. Just waiting on the roofs.
If these are the ones that have been muted, then they are still very different from each other -> Summerhall Chapel vs The Trailers.
Private cairnswk

Postby TaCktiX on Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:19 pm

Summerall has a gradient to it, as its dimensions work well with it. The Trailers does not, as it looks horrible. They also have different roof outlines.

Postby InkL0sed on Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:24 pm

TaCktiX wrote:Discussion Points:

Yes, there is. Large version's still blurry. :(
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby Ditocoaf on Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:43 pm

Wow, looking nice. I haven't checked on this map since it had those annoying dotted lines everywhere. One question, though: what happened to the tower's ability to bombard?

>----------✪ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! ✪----------<

Note to self: THINK LESS LIVE MORE
Private 1st Class Ditocoaf

Postby TaCktiX on Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:21 pm

InkL0sed wrote:

InkL0sed, I have said at least twice before that the large version is a straight upscale of the small version. As such, it "breaks" a lot of the small version's things. Considering that I'm making a column's worth of changes each and every small version, splitting the large and "fixing" it would double my workload. Until graphics are more or less final (read: sticky), I'm not going to "unblur" the large.

Postby InkL0sed on Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:26 pm

TaCktiX wrote:
InkL0sed wrote:

InkL0sed, I have said at least twice before that the large version is a straight upscale of the small version. As such, it "breaks" a lot of the small version's things. Considering that I'm making a column's worth of changes each and every small version, splitting the large and "fixing" it would double my workload. Until graphics are more or less final (read: sticky), I'm not going to "unblur" the large.

I know, I know. But it still has to be done at some point. I was just answering your question...
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby gimil on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:19 pm

Get the large cleaned up!

Itll keep you out of trouble ;)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby TaCktiX on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:02 pm

I'll clean up the large whenever Oaktown comes in here and gives the map a final gameplay look.

Postby gimil on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:02 pm

The corners of the parade deck could use a clean up!

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby ZeakCytho on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:04 pm

The text explaining the parade deck killer neutrals is a bit hard to read. Maybe try a black font color? It's on a fairly light background, so black should be easier to read than white.
Captain ZeakCytho

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas