Conquer Club

Eastern Hemisphere [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Eastern Hemisphere [Beta]

Postby oaktown on Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:26 am

owenshooter wrote:i have yet to be able to use the naval aspect of it, and look forward to expanding game play into that...

I was just able to use it for the first time to take out a player that i'd been cut-off from - no hiding in africa!!
Captain oaktown

Postby neanderpaul14 on Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:24 pm

oaktown wrote:While this might be nice for gameplay, it wouldn't make much sense historically. We played with a Hong Kong territory, but it just made that part of the map too confusing. I'd rather explore other options.

Actually this would make sense historically because after the opium wars both the ports of Canton and Shanghai were forced open to foreign trade. Also after Admiral Sperry led the Great White Fleet into Japan several Japanese ports were similarly open. While these were never colonies of western powers they were open ports. Perhaps the bombardment could be altered to include select major ports.
Cook neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson

Postby yeti_c on Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:41 pm

danfrank wrote:Great map definitly one of my favorites... Nice job OAK!!! .. I only have 1 issue ... If its possible to add the amount of colony teritories you need hold to get the bonus.. i think a simple number in parentheses would suffice ... (3) for italian colonies and (6) for GB etc those are the only 2 i know.. i havent attempted for the others... :mrgreen:

Oak - Not sure if you saw this post (Your post with multi comments didn't recognise it) - but it might be a reasonable idea...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby iancanton on Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:48 pm

neanderpaul14 wrote:
oaktown wrote:While this might be nice for gameplay, it wouldn't make much sense historically. We played with a Hong Kong territory, but it just made that part of the map too confusing. I'd rather explore other options.

Actually this would make sense historically because after the opium wars both the ports of Canton and Shanghai were forced open to foreign trade. Also after Admiral Sperry led the Great White Fleet into Japan several Japanese ports were similarly open. While these were never colonies of western powers they were open ports. Perhaps the bombardment could be altered to include select major ports.

the trouble with this is that nowhere else can the ship bombard a non-colony. until we see more evidence from games that holding china is too easy, such a drastic change will be unlikely.

in contrast, it looks as if something will have to be done about the mountains, even if it is just to put a note in the legend that they are impassable.

ian. :)
Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby fairman on Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:03 am

Hi great work.

I got a technical problem on the game 4532462
I can't see the troops on the map.
I play this map on other game and it work fine.
Can someone help me?
Thx

Ben

Edit: When I deploy my troops everything appeared again.
So little bit strange and hope that it's not a bug.
Brigadier fairman

Postby therustyslab on Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:28 pm

I LOVE this map it is really fun.

one BIG thing though...

let people know that you are not able to fortify out of the naval superiority! I advanced 29 armies (more than 1/3 of my total armies!)there, attacked africa til i was a 20 and tried to fortify out and I can't. so now im stuck with a 20 that will (i assume) turn into a n4...

should i have somehow known about this already? correct me if im wrong

its game 4490724 btw..
Lieutenant therustyslab

Postby keiths31 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:36 pm

therustyslab wrote:I LOVE this map it is really fun.

one BIG thing though...

let people know that you are not able to fortify out of the naval superiority! I advanced 29 armies (more than 1/3 of my total armies!)there, attacked africa til i was a 20 and tried to fortify out and I can't. so now im stuck with a 20 that will (i assume) turn into a n4...

should i have somehow known about this already? correct me if im wrong

its game 4490724 btw..

Was just coming in here to post this. Moved a bunch of troops there thinking I could move them back...and...no. So I had to watch 14 troops disappear when I started my next turn. Had I known they would not be able to be moved back I wouldn't have moved that many there.
Sergeant 1st Class keiths31

Postby iancanton on Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:47 pm

on any map, u can fortify only to those regions that u can conquer. u cannot conquer any region from naval superiority, therefore u cannot fortify from it either. this is not new: it also happens in waterloo and pearl harbor, as well as any other map that has bombardment.

ian. :)
Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby keiths31 on Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:08 pm

That is not what the concern was. It was forting BACK to a land territory after you bombard the crap out of other territories. In Pearl Harbour, if I drop a bunch of armies on NY AA and bombard my enemy...after I am done and in my reinforcement stage I can move my armies from NY AA to the Navy Yard. This is true in other maps as well...you can move armies to the bombarding territory and move them back afterward. I haven't played every map on CC yet...but this is the first time I have encountered this. Not saying it is bad thing...just saying it should be known on the legend.

Postby therustyslab on Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:20 pm

You can fortify out of the 2 guards that you can bombard with on supermax:prison riot. and you can can fortify into countries they cant attack
Lieutenant therustyslab

Postby yeti_c on Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:03 am

therustyslab wrote:You can fortify out of the 2 guards that you can bombard with on supermax:prison riot. and you can can fortify into countries they cant attack

That is because the 2 guards actually border the rooms behind them...

In this map - it is a one way attack to Naval Superiority - and that can only bombard the other territories... thus nowhere to go...

Next time - use your troops more wisely.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby keiths31 on Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:02 pm

yeti_c wrote:
therustyslab wrote:You can fortify out of the 2 guards that you can bombard with on supermax:prison riot. and you can can fortify into countries they cant attack

In this map - it is a one way attack to Naval Superiority - and that can only bombard the other territories... thus nowhere to go...

C.

Or next time I just wont play a map that is unclear.

Why do map makers need to make things unnecessarily complicated and defend themselves in spite of the general population saying "hey...this is confusing". I don't think it would have been much to add to the legend that you cannot fort off of Naval Superiority. What is the harm?

Postby oaktown on Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:38 pm

adding a line to the Naval info wouldn't be difficult... this may indeed be the first killer neutral on the site that also can't attack anything thus the problem. I've used the space a few times already - you have to be prepared to use every army you move there to wail on your opponents.

Here, how's this... I've also made the Alps more prominent, and added some mountain explanation.

Click image to enlarge.
Captain oaktown

Postby slapee on Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:00 am

I just came to say that so far this map is great. I've only started one game on this so far but this is definitely one of my favorite maps to have come out of the foundry. I originally also had a question about why Naval Superiority could attack Rhodesia despite not having any coastline, but reading the original post it sounds like the navy terr. is supposed to represent Europe's better military overall instead of just by sea.

New map looks good as well, but it's "therefore" not "therefor" :geek: .
Captain slapee

Postby keiths31 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:04 am

I thank you for adding the new line...albeit too late for me and my game ;)

Postby oaktown on Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:22 am

slapee wrote:New map looks good as well, but it's "therefore" not "therefor" :geek: .

oops... will fix. I have to change the code to move the Naval coordinates, and make the changes to the small map, so this may not happen right away.
Captain oaktown

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:59 pm

while your fixing other stuff, maybe you could move the word ottoman empire down a little, if that doesn't affect the army coordinates.
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:12 pm

LED ZEPPELINER wrote:while your fixing other stuff, maybe you could move the word ottoman empire down a little, if that doesn't affect the army coordinates.

oaktown wrote:That title [Ottoman] is where it is so as not to mislead players - the territory spans the Bosporus and include the European bit that borders the Balkans.

Makes sense. I'm in one game on this, and love it!

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby sailorseal on Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:18 pm

Up on my top 10 of maps
Cook sailorseal

Postby therustyslab on Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:03 pm

yeti_c wrote:

C.

No where on the map did it say that it was a ONE WAY attack to NS. Thats the point

Thanks for adding that line at the bottom and fixing this though. again, great map
Lieutenant therustyslab

Postby BAT72 on Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:06 am

Hi out there, Got a map bug on the Eastern Hemisphere Beta map:
whilst trying to wipe out a player 1 army was left on "naval superiority", once that player's turn came around his last army turned neutral and the game got frozen with no one able to take a next move.

Can you assist? the game number is 4585271.

Thanks,
BAT
Lieutenant BAT72

Postby sailorseal on Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:00 pm

BAT72 wrote:Hi out there, Got a map bug on the Eastern Hemisphere Beta map:
whilst trying to wipe out a player 1 army was left on "naval superiority", once that player's turn came around his last army turned neutral and the game got frozen with no one able to take a next move.

Can you assist? the game number is 4585271.

Thanks,
BAT

iancanton has taken the liberty of posting this in suggestions and bugs reports so this should be handled shortly :D
Cook sailorseal

Postby lt_oddball on Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:29 am

YOu need to fix this game concept bug:

The idea of the naval superiority originally was that ONE player needs to address large enough resources to acquire this naval superiority which gives HIM (and he alone) the opportunity to rule the waves and attack distant colonies of his adversaries.
Once his turn is passed the naval sup. marker should return to the neutral max. so that THE NEXT player IF he desires the naval superiority, he TOO should address LARGE resources to obtain HIS naval superiority.

The situation now is that player A may attempt to attack the 4 neutrals and FAIl so that a residu value of 1, 2 or 3 neutrals remain STANDING and this value STAYS FOREVER !!
So technically any other player, but also player A in his NEXT turn(s) can CONTINUE reducing this naval sup neutral value and thus acquire naval superiority.
THIS is not true to the original concept of the naval superiority effect!!

The naval sup marker should return to 4 neutral IMMEDIATELY after EACH player's turn (not after the game round turn) !!

(this is by the way a much easier to write script in xml i think) :-$
Last edited by lt_oddball on Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barbarus hic ego sum, quia non intellegor ulli.
Major lt_oddball

Postby oaktown on Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:57 am

this is a site issue, not a map issue. If you would like to see this change made to how killer neutrals work it will have to go through Suggs and Bugs.
Captain oaktown

Postby lt_oddball on Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:07 am

It was mentioned earlier, but not resolved;

The fact that the Chinese and Japanese and even Middle East continents do not have a bombardable colony.

I think it is needed for game balance.

Historically it is easy to find possibilities:

1) China:
a) Make the Shanghai zone smaller in that it is clearly a coastal area. Mark it with the british flag (for Hongkong..as it played a more prominent part than portuguese Macau). In the time of the Boxer's revolt england played also the more prominent role amongst the besieged foreign representatives (in terms of organising it..cant say if it goes for the amount of fighting troops..I guess those were the japs or russians).
b) and Manchuria can be marked a japanese colony with a japanese flag

2) Japan.
Korea (within Japanese empire) should be marked with a japanese colony flag.
There is no extra bonus for it (as it is already within the japanese empire) but it gives a naval bombardment opportunity.

2) Oceania
I find the oceania bonus of 4 quite large given the fact that it is in the map corner and thus so easy to defend.
It just screams for a bombardable territory more than the dutch ones only (South Africa comprises of many different colonies as well and that gives only +5 (9 terr.) as compared to Oceania +4 (7 terr.) with 2 bombard lands ).
All the colonizers have islands in that area..but what is required for this map is an extra far distant colony for either germany(Bismark Islands) or portugal(Timor).
In practice you can split the New Guinea territory in two and make the left bear the portuguese flag and the right the german flag.
Call the left Timor and the right Bismarck.
Change the name JAVA into INDONESIA (or " INDIË " in original dutch) so that the name(the name!) covers a larger area including the dutch papoea new guinea area.

3) Middle East.
Persia, Iraq, Lebanon, Jemen were "colonized" (rather parts occupied) by britain and France rather late after the ottomans..so ok.
(actually Yemen : 1839..)
Leave this one area without bombardable territories.
It is in the center of the map, so it needs some form of extra protection.

Of course some bonusvalues may have to be altered. =D>

PS I also agree that Rhodesia should NOT have a british flag (not being able to get bombarded).
Africa has already too many bombardable areas (and Malaysia is not ? Burma is not ?).
Plus both Congo and Rhodesia if being non-bombardable makes them perfect havens to stash up firebrigade troops to reconquer the to neutrality bombarded coastal areas around them.
That is only fair to the african player that cannot reach europe..
Barbarus hic ego sum, quia non intellegor ulli.
Major lt_oddball

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas