Conquer Club

WWII Pearl Harbor - [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: 19 May V2 Design.

Postby cairnswk on Sat May 19, 2007 6:55 am

onbekende wrote:Again an excellent map, grats
Thanks onbekende

I have changed the order of the legend in the map above, and also the colour of the Cruisers.
Also I ran an attack line from the Tennessee to the runway if that was not clear before it should be now.
There were two oilers in harbor thate day, both of which are kind of irrelevant to this map, although one of them was sunk. They also occupy space on the map that would make it very cramped in that area, so I am disinclined to go ahead with this idea, but will keep it in mind if circumstances should require a larger change later...thanks for the suggestion. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat May 19, 2007 3:29 pm

Feedback anyone?
Private cairnswk

Postby Gozar on Sat May 19, 2007 3:41 pm

Looks great, as usual! 8)

Maybe switch the position of the army circle and title of Phelps and Case, to make it more clear which ship it goes with.

Cheers!
Lieutenant Gozar

Postby DiM on Sat May 19, 2007 3:41 pm

everything on the map has a perspective except the airplanes. it's a bit strange.

also the officers' club is spelled wrong it needs a ' after the word officers. plus it has a strange perspective. it has a totally different angle than the rest of the buildings

i think you should remove the explanation about attack connectors.
it's clear the white lines are attack routes and since the runway is a teritory by itself it really isn't a connector.

i'm a bit disturbed by all the red in the lower part where attack connectors legend is.

i'll post more later.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Sat May 19, 2007 4:56 pm

Gozar wrote:Looks great, as usual! 8)

Maybe switch the position of the army circle and title of Phelps and Case, to make it more clear which ship it goes with.

Cheers!

Thanks Gozar.....attending to that in next versions shortly. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat May 19, 2007 5:03 pm

DiM wrote:everything on the map has a perspective except the airplanes. it's a bit strange.
yes...i'm going to try and do something about that.

also the officers' club is spelled wrong it needs a ' after the word officers. plus it has a strange perspective. it has a totally different angle than the rest of the buildings
spelling fixed....yes the perspective seems out but it isn't...it's just the shape of the building.

i think you should remove the explanation about attack connectors.
it's clear the white lines are attack routes and since the runway is a teritory by itself it really isn't a connector.
done

i'm a bit disturbed by all the red in the lower part where attack connectors legend is.
its supposed to give the impression of flames, fire etc without going too over the top.

Thanks DiM as always.
Private cairnswk

V3 Updates

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 20, 2007 2:41 am

V3 Updates:
* Major changes to the planes with correct coloration and 3D effect.
* I did have Seaplanes listed, but incorrectly, these are actually Seaplane Tenders (a relic from WWI to augment the aircraft carriers). These have now changed to vessels
* Minor movements in attack lines
* Minor color changes to legend names.

Small Map

Large Map
Last edited by cairnswk on Sun May 20, 2007 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby onbekende on Sun May 20, 2007 2:58 am

:love:

Attackline in battleships: West-Verginia <=> Nevada looks off

nice pkanes
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 20, 2007 3:02 am

onbekende wrote::love:

Attackline in battleships: West-Verginia <=> Nevada looks off

nice pkanes

Woops...fixing now...thanks!
Private cairnswk

Postby onbekende on Sun May 20, 2007 3:10 am

perhaps change the position of name and army shade of Tangier, SP Tenders
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby Coleman on Sun May 20, 2007 3:14 am

onbekende wrote:perhaps change the position of name and army shade of Tangier, SP Tenders

I'm not sure where else it could go without causing overlap issues.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 20, 2007 3:16 am

onbekende wrote:perhaps change the position of name and army shade of Tangier, SP Tenders

I looked at that in this last revisions when the seaplanes where changed for tender...maybe i'll leave just for now in case I have to change other deck chairs on the titanic...sts. Thanks onbekende. Glad you like it. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 20, 2007 3:21 am

Coleman wrote:

I'm not sure where else it could go without causing overlap issues.

Thanks Coleman for popping in....yes i'll fiddle with that a little and see if it can be improved in the next revision.
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Sun May 20, 2007 7:20 am

first of all the large map link is broken.

back to the small map:

1. at a first glance i saw the 3 ships in the bottom part next to the hospital and i wondered what the heck are they doing there not connected to anything. then i realized they're part of the legend. for me adding them does no good. the colours where good enough to figure everything out. but since you changed the airplanes i guess they are needed for katers and zeroes. to be frank i'd prefer you go back to the simple colour based legend but that would mean making kates and zeroes as distinct as before.
maybe leabe the kates as they are and for the zeroes replace green with blue and in the legend make the text blue with a red edge.

2. you still have officers' club spelled wrong.
you have officer's club which means the club of a single officer
it should be officers' club which means the club of all the officers

3. the zone with battleships and cruisers seems a bit crowded and it might cause some confusion especially for the helena army circle.

4. the oil tanks have little white lines to give the impression of 3D but those lines look like tiny connectors that go nowhere.

5. the text glow should have the colour of the continent but only on some parts. for example miners or destroyers have the right glow but naval yard, fort is, kates, or zeroes don't.

6. if you decide to keep the icons in the legend then add all the icons, an oil tank, a red building and a runway bit.

7. also i see you like to use a border for the map. it is nice but is also takes out 10-20 pixels of usable space, and those pixels could be used to uncramp some areas.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby benjikat on Sun May 20, 2007 8:54 am

Another small thing - the Hangers should be Hangars
Sergeant 1st Class benjikat

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 20, 2007 11:42 am

benjikat wrote:Another small thing - the Hangers should be Hangars

thanks benjikat...you're correct....well in all these years i never spelt it that way. Go figure! :)
Private cairnswk

V4 Updates

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 20, 2007 12:23 pm

DiM wrote:1. at a first glance i saw the 3 ships in the bottom part next to the hospital and i wondered what the heck are they doing there not connected to anything. then i realized they're part of the legend. for me adding them does no good. the colours where good enough to figure everything out. but since you changed the airplanes i guess they are needed for katers and zeroes. to be frank i'd prefer you go back to the simple colour based legend but that would mean making kates and zeroes as distinct as before.
maybe leabe the kates as they are and for the zeroes replace green with blue and in the legend make the text blue with a red edge.

legend exanded, icons added.

fixed
3. the zone with battleships and cruisers seems a bit crowded and it might cause some confusion especially for the helena army circle.
army shadow moved, might close that dry dock underneath that army shadow if that become a prob when testing for numbers
4. the oil tanks have little white lines to give the impression of 3D but those lines look like tiny connectors that go nowhere.
outlined made black
5. the text glow should have the colour of the continent but only on some parts. for example miners or destroyers have the right glow but naval yard, fort is, kates, or zeroes don't.
fixed
6. if you decide to keep the icons in the legend then add all the icons, an oil tank, a red building and a runway bit.
all added
7. also i see you like to use a border for the map. it is nice but is also takes out 10-20 pixels of usable space, and those pixels could be used to uncramp some areas.
given to extra legend area

Private cairnswk

V4 Updates

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 20, 2007 12:26 pm

DiM wrote:1. at a first glance i saw the 3 ships in the bottom part next to the hospital and i wondered what the heck are they doing there not connected to anything. then i realized they're part of the legend. for me adding them does no good. the colours where good enough to figure everything out. but since you changed the airplanes i guess they are needed for katers and zeroes. to be frank i'd prefer you go back to the simple colour based legend but that would mean making kates and zeroes as distinct as before.

legend exanded, icons added.

fixed
army shadow moved, might close that dry dock underneath that army shadow if that become a prob when testing for numbers
outlined made black
fixed
all added
given to extra legend area

Private cairnswk

Postby Wisse on Sun May 20, 2007 2:02 pm

your army circles are oval (not perfect round) i don't know if you did that on purpose or not
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 20, 2007 3:15 pm

Wisse wrote:your army circles are oval (not perfect round) i don't know if you did that on purpose or not
Thanks wisse...no they got changed when i stretched averything on the map....now back to 22 px V4 above.
Private cairnswk

Postby Gozar on Sun May 20, 2007 3:22 pm

I think you might have the hang of this map making thing cairnswk. :wink:

This one looks fantastic, and only on version four! :D
Lieutenant Gozar

Postby Steel Panzer on Sun May 20, 2007 3:30 pm

the update looks fantastic.
Corporal 1st Class Steel Panzer

Postby benjikat on Sun May 20, 2007 3:44 pm

cairnswk wrote:
benjikat wrote:Another small thing - the Hangers should be Hangars

thanks benjikat...you're correct....well in all these years i never spelt it that way. Go figure! :)

You've still missed the fourth one though....
Sergeant 1st Class benjikat

Postby Qwert on Sun May 20, 2007 3:49 pm

well i must say that these map is far better then yours first map of pacific. :wink:
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 20, 2007 3:50 pm

Gozar wrote:I think you might have the hang of this map making thing cairnswk. :wink:

This one looks fantastic, and only on version four! :D

Gozar...you're too kind! :)
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas