Conquer Club

Categorize maps

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Categorize maps

Postby JPcelticfc on Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:12 pm

When starting a game you are presented with a long list of maps. I like to explore new maps and I am not familiar with alot of them. However it can be difficult to find the kind of maps you want to play as they are only listed in alphabetical order.

My suggestion would be to put maps into different categories. This could based on size or complexity i.e small, medium, large or easy, average, advanced and complex.

I think this would make it alot easier for the user to find maps they want to play on with the suitable settings.
Lieutenant JPcelticfc

Re: Categorize maps

Postby macbone on Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:40 am

I think that's a great idea. Players could look for simpler Classic-style maps or complex maps, or small maps for quick games.
Colonel macbone

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:09 pm

Man, we've been through this. No one's willing to categorize the maps by submitting their own list. Then, you'd have to deal with the mapmakers and how they want their maps marketed. Then, we'd have to have enough agreement on the categories, etc.

We're still at Step 1.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby macbone on Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:45 pm

I think we could crowd-source a list. I'd be willing to take a stab at it.
Colonel macbone

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:04 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:Man, we've been through this. No one's willing to categorize the maps by submitting their own list. Then, you'd have to deal with the mapmakers and how they want their maps marketed. Then, we'd have to have enough agreement on the categories, etc.

We're still at Step 1.

Not long ago, Steam unleashed the ability for users to "tag" games. Some of the developers did not like the tags they were being boxed into, but it was nice to see the user base take on the organization. We don't need free form tags likely, but I've always liked the idea of categories in any capacity -- now probably more than ever, since I don't see all the maps that go through the Foundry, I am not always sure what map I might like to explore next.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:56 pm

We could (1) come up with a list of categories, then (2) hold one poll per map, take the top 5 or so (or the majority per subcategory--e.g. large got 5 votes, medium 4, small 2), and then after two years when CC goes out of business, we'd have a community-categorized list of maps.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Donelladan on Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:39 am

Well at least there is some obvious category. For example we could divide conquest map and "normal map" quite easily. Most of the maps only fall on either of those 2 category.
Maps could also be categorized by the special feature they have. Like : auto-deploy, objective, killer neutral, bombardement, conditionnal border, losing conditions etc... When you look for a map you could simply check or uncheck those options.
Then for the size, we could divide in category simply based on number of territory, for example 1)less than 30 - 2)30-100 - 3) more than 100.

I'd like this to be implemented, there is way too many map currently.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby casper on Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:47 am

Great idea. The Game Finder / map selector is a huge problem with this site right now imo. It was fine when there were a few maps but having just a drop-down list doesn't cut it anymore. At the very least change the link for "browse maps" to go to this page instead - http://www.conquerclub.com/public.php?mode=maps which gives more details on the maps. Maybe that has been suggested I don't know....
Major casper

Postby agentcom on Sat May 10, 2014 7:17 am

I thought the Foundry was already working on this to some extent. This can probably be merged with several other threads requesting the same. But I like it. The benefits of this suggestion are great. You would be able to scroll through "Conquest Maps" (gameplay) or "Historical Maps" (theme) and pick your favorites. New users could look through the "Small Maps" or the "Basic Maps" so that they don't come across crazy features all at once.

Of course, the next step after this would be to allow a "limited random" from these selections, but that's another topic altogether.
Colonel agentcom

Postby Dr Madvibe on Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:59 pm

casper wrote:Great idea. The Game Finder / map selector is a huge problem with this site right now imo. It was fine when there were a few maps but having just a drop-down list doesn't cut it anymore. At the very least change the link for "browse maps" to go to this page instead - http://www.conquerclub.com/public.php?mode=maps which gives more details on the maps. Maybe that has been suggested I don't know....

Or the browse maps page - https://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?mode=browse

But please cold you make the thumbnails bigger - a lot bigger as you still have to click each one to what it actually is.
Lieutenant Dr Madvibe

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:33 am

Dr Madvibe wrote:
casper wrote:Great idea. The Game Finder / map selector is a huge problem with this site right now imo. It was fine when there were a few maps but having just a drop-down list doesn't cut it anymore. At the very least change the link for "browse maps" to go to this page instead - http://www.conquerclub.com/public.php?mode=maps which gives more details on the maps. Maybe that has been suggested I don't know....

Or the browse maps page - https://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?mode=browse

But please cold you make the thumbnails bigger - a lot bigger as you still have to click each one to what it actually is.

If you want to see large images of the maps you can always view them on the slideshow page: http://www.conquerclub.com/public.php?mode=mapslideshow

So, basically there are three options -- the map stats page, the browse maps page, and the slideshow page. I know it would be ideal to somehow go to a single page with the advantages of all three, but for the foreseeble future you just have to bookmark all three and use whichever one serves your purpose at the time.

As to the larger issue of categorizing maps, yes, I agree.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby IcePack on Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:38 am

I actually like the yum nail version. My only complaint is once clicked on for the larger map, there's no < or > to continue to scroll through the larger ones quickly.
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Return to Suggestions