Conquer Club

Friendly colors for Color-blind CC members

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Friendly colors for Color-blind CC members

Postby GoranZ on Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:05 pm

Concise description:
Since some members of CC are color-blind CC can filter out colors that create problems for them.

Specifics/Details:
1. There should be a simple check box in the control panel/edit profile where people can mark if they want to use Color-blind friendly colors.
2. If a player that has that feature checked, then every new game he is part of will use colors that are color-blind friendly as colors for the players in the game.
3. It should be easy to be implemented.
4. The proposal is not intended to change the colors of the maps, just colors of the players.
5. The proposals intention is not to replace or compete with color-codes feature, that is separate feature.
Basic concepts: Why Color Blindness is No Longer a Problem for Web Design
Software solutions for color-blind people: Visolve allows to transform colors on the computer or an iPhone display into the corresponding colors. This software helps people with color blindness to see a normal color and to feel the color changes according to the scenery. But this software is not applicable to CC.
Name That Color: Link

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
Color-blind CC members will have the same game experience as regular players.
Last edited by GoranZ on Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Even a little kid knows whats the name of my country... http://youtu.be/XFxjy7f9RpY

Interested in clans? Check out the Fallen!
General GoranZ

Re: Friendly colors for Color-blind CC members

Postby owenshooter on Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:12 am

um, but you can already toggle on/off colour codes... sooo, this is kind of unnecessary, correct? seems like it to me...-Jésus noir

Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby GoranZ on Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:49 pm

owenshooter wrote:um, but you can already toggle on/off colour codes... sooo, this is kind of unnecessary, correct? seems like it to me...-Jésus noir

GoranZ wrote:How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:

What you mention is for playing from colorless screen, what I propose is feature for same game experience, HUGE difference.
Even a little kid knows whats the name of my country... http://youtu.be/XFxjy7f9RpY

General GoranZ

Postby iAmCaffeine on Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:49 am

I doubt this is possible. I think it was 2014 when, briefly, a colour committee was formed to decide which colours would be most suitable for the additional four required; when maximum players per game was increased from eight to twelve. I believe this also resulted in a couple of the original colours changing.

Colour codes are the best solution currently. I know non-colour blind people that use them. It doesn't really change experience. Plus map inspect can locate all of a players regions easily.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby Kexor on Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:58 am

I'm not color blind myself but in my experience from playing a lot of different card/tabletop games usually even small symbols (such as the color codes mentioned above) help a lot.

For example the first printing of Splendor with cards like these was very difficult to play with my color blind friends and when they added small shapes like here there weren't any problems.
Colonel Kexor

Postby owenshooter on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:14 pm

GoranZ wrote:What you mention is for playing from colorless screen, what I propose is feature for same game experience, HUGE difference.

no it's not.. it was done for people that are colour blind... i remember the thread.. search for it... that is for color blind members...-Jésus noir
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby GoranZ on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:48 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:I doubt this is possible. I think it was 2014 when, briefly, a colour committee was formed to decide which colours would be most suitable for the additional four required; when maximum players per game was increased from eight to twelve. I believe this also resulted in a couple of the original colours changing.

Colour codes are the best solution currently. I know non-colour blind people that use them. It doesn't really change experience. Plus map inspect can locate all of a players regions easily.

As a software developer this is easy solution... I dont ask for whole palete of colors to be changed, I ask for alternatives to be used when colorblind person is playing, and that is only one function(input parameter player, output color)

https://99designs.com/designer-blog/201 ... blindness/

http://jfly.iam.u-tokyo.ac.jp/color/
Last edited by GoranZ on Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

General GoranZ

Postby owenshooter on Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:44 pm

GoranZ wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:I doubt this is possible. I think it was 2014 when, briefly, a colour committee was formed to decide which colours would be most suitable for the additional four required; when maximum players per game was increased from eight to twelve. I believe this also resulted in a couple of the original colours changing.

As a software developer this is easy solution... I dont ask for whole palete of colors to be changed, I ask for alternatives to be used when colorblind person is playing, and that is only one function(input parameter color, output color)

first, with the increase of numbers of players per game, it can not be done. second, again, you can toggle on and off the colour codes, this is more than sufficient for colour blind people. if you don't think this is ok, go file a claim with the AAPD (american association for people with disabilities) and they can team up with the rainbow coalition or whomever, to bring CC to its collective knees and make them fold/bend to your whim. The issue/suggestion is just not possible and not really relevant with what CC has done with the colour codes. sorry, good luck with this, it just isn't happening...-Jésus noir
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby IcePack on Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:38 pm

owenshooter wrote:
GoranZ wrote:

As a software developer this is easy solution... I dont ask for whole palete of colors to be changed, I ask for alternatives to be used when colorblind person is playing, and that is only one function(input parameter color, output color)

first, with the increase of numbers of players per game, it can not be done. second, again, you can toggle on and off the colour codes, this is more than sufficient for colour blind people. if you don't think this is ok, go file a claim with the AAPD (american association for people with disabilities) and they can team up with the rainbow coalition or whomever, to bring CC to its collective knees and make them fold/bend to your whim. The issue/suggestion is just not possible and not really relevant with what CC has done with the colour codes. sorry, good luck with this, it just isn't happening...-Jésus noir

Did someone quit and make you coder and didn't update the staff? :-s
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby owenshooter on Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:52 pm

IcePack wrote:
owenshooter wrote:
GoranZ wrote:

the colour code committee said it couldn't be done and that it wouldn't be done. as far as someone quitting and not updating the staff, that would imply that stuff actually gets done around here, and we both know that is rare, at best... :-$ :-$ :-$ ...-Jésus noir

p.s.-and now to drive the OP insane ;) ;)

Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby IcePack on Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:00 pm

owenshooter wrote:
IcePack wrote:
owenshooter wrote:
GoranZ wrote:

the colour code committee said it couldn't be done and that it wouldn't be done. as far as someone quitting and not updating the staff, that would imply that stuff actually gets done around here, and we both know that is rare, at best... :-$ :-$ :-$ ...-Jésus noir

p.s.-and now to drive the OP insane ;) ;)

I was on the color committee that expanded it to 12 colors, what exactly are you saying "the committee" said couldn't and wouldn't be done? Or did you mean the original committee way back when for the original 8?
Last edited by IcePack on Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Robespierre__ on Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:59 pm

GoranZ,

I think you are right that a solution as you suggest is possible, the question is whether color blind people wold prefer what you suggest. I know teammates who use the letter code just to be sure they don't see something incorrectly. It's a great suggestion were it to be practical and relatively easy to implement.

JesusNoir .... I know kindness is not required or expected on the internet, but it would be more fun if GoranZ were treated with the respect that he deserves.

Just one man's opinion,

Robes
Colonel Robespierre__

Postby owenshooter on Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:44 am

Robespierre__ wrote:JesusNoir .... I know kindness is not required or expected on the internet, but it would be more fun if GoranZ were treated with the respect that he deserves.

Just one man's opinion,

Robes

he is getting all the respect he deserves... i apologize if my tone is being misinterpreted over the internets. however, it is a non-issue, the color codes are perfectly fine and the color committee said the games had expanded to too great a number to make this possible... he just keeps beating the dead horse... now, if he were to come up with the colours that could be utilized, etc, this might get some traction. however, i just don't think this is necessary or possible. exactly how many people on CC are color blind and how many have lodged complaints since the colour codes were introduced? what is it, like 1 in 10ish men in the world are colour blind and 1 in 200 women (how do i know this off the top of my head... ah yes, i had a girlfriend that was color blind)? anyway, the colour codes are great for normal players and color blind alike. i use them, because on some maps, you really can not distinguish some colours on certain parts of the map... blah, blah, blah... good luck with this...-Jésus noir

Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby *Pixar* on Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:28 pm

as a fellow part color blind member, I agree with GoranZ, I can barely tell the difference between the red and green in this game along with yellow and orange. Me my self would just be happy if color codes had an option where they can be permanently on, rather than having to select it every time I get on to take my turns.
Major *Pixar*
Chatter
Chatter

Postby WingCmdr Ginkapo on Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:40 pm

*Pixar* wrote:as a fellow part color blind member, I agree with GoranZ, I can barely tell the difference between the red and green in this game along with yellow and orange. Me my self would just be happy if color codes had an option where they can be permanently on, rather than having to select it every time I get on to take my turns.

Go to settings.
Major WingCmdr Ginkapo

Postby *Pixar* on Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:30 pm

oh I didn't see that option at the bottom lol. Thanks Wing!
Major *Pixar*
Chatter
Chatter

Postby GoranZ on Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:35 pm

owenshooter wrote:exactly how many people on CC are color blind and how many have lodged complaints since the color codes were introduced?

Thats not the point, the point is that its easily doable, and should be done. And that will be an example to this types of online games.
Have you tried to play with color codes toggled? Try for just 1 day and return here and share your experience.
I have tried to play for only 1 hour... I gave up, I couldn't play. Maybe color blind people are use to it, but it is not the same game experience. If you dont like my proposal I'm ok, but I challenge you for a better one, not for me but for the Color-blind CC members.

Robespierre__ wrote:the question is whether color blind people wold prefer what you suggest

True... Maybe they wont like it, my proposal is just based on what I found on internet when it comes to what colors should be used on web pages in order for them to be more friendly to color-blind people... My primary goal was to get some form of support from the community and response from the admins for better solution. So far we are only talking, hopefully eventually we will get to a point in which we will have several easy solutions and color blind CC members can chose what they like(or change what they dont like).
At first I would like to know exactly how many color blind members we have, but that can be only achieved if there is a field they can chose to mark that they are color blind. With this half of the task will be completed.
Last edited by GoranZ on Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

General GoranZ

Postby owenshooter on Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:43 pm

GoranZ wrote:
owenshooter wrote:exactly how many people on CC are color blind and how many have lodged complaints since the color codes were introduced?

Thats not the point, the point is that its easily doable, and should be done. And that will be an example to this types of online games.
Have you tried to play with color codes toggled? Try for just 1 day and return here and share your experience.
I have tried to play for only 1 hour... I gave up, I couldn't play. Maybe color blind people are use to it, but it is not the same game experience. If you dont like my proposal I'm ok, but I challenge you for a better one, not for me but for the Color-blind CC members.

i stated that i play with the colour codes on... and i'm sorry, i thought you were color blind! so, you are making a proposal for a group of people that have not lodged a complaint since the color codes were adopted... now i'm very confused... hmmmm...-Jésus noir
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby GoranZ on Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:04 pm

owenshooter wrote:
GoranZ wrote:

i stated that i play with the colour codes on... and i'm sorry, i thought you were color blind! so, you are making a proposal for a group of people that have not lodged a complaint since the color codes were adopted... now i'm very confused... hmmmm...-Jésus noir

The main problem is that they cant play a game like us... First color is red, second is green in every game. They have to be first and second?
We can't simulate their problem but we can use solution that is offered to them. The solution is not very good, it can and should be improved.

General GoranZ

Postby owenshooter on Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:59 am

GoranZ wrote:
owenshooter wrote:
GoranZ wrote:

The main problem is that they cant play a game like us... First color is red, second is green in every game. They have to be first and second?
We can't simulate their problem but we can use solution that is offered to them. The solution is not very good, it can and should be improved.

um, they can play the game exactly as we do, with the colour codes on. how is the game any different for them with the codes on than it is for me with the codes on. this makes zero sense.. sooo, if a CB person is 3rd or 4th, the game is not fun for them? i don't get what you are trying to say. and again, since the colour codes were intro'd, not one CB person has complained about the gaming experience. that was the solution. i'm sorry, but what you just said, REALLY confused all the rest of what you said, into one big ball of non-sensical confusion. especially considering that you, yourself, are not color blind!! find a color blind member to come in here and explain it better. again, not one CB member has complained since the Color Codes were introduced. you don't really seem to be making much sense...-Jn
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby WingCmdr Ginkapo on Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:40 pm

I cant play any games with the colour codes off. There may be an issue, but it isnt specific to colour blind players. The colours arent just difficult to differentiate if you are colour blind, they are difficult to differentiate fullstop, especially on certain maps. The colour codes are an absolute lifesaver.
Major WingCmdr Ginkapo

Postby iAmCaffeine on Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:19 pm

WingCmdr Ginkapo wrote:I cant play any games with the colour codes off. There may be an issue, but it isnt specific to colour blind players. The colours arent just difficult to differentiate if you are colour blind, they are difficult to differentiate fullstop, especially on certain maps. The colour codes are an absolute lifesaver.

This is true in some circumstances, but it's also the best solution available.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby WingCmdr Ginkapo on Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:25 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:
WingCmdr Ginkapo wrote:I cant play any games with the colour codes off. There may be an issue, but it isnt specific to colour blind players. The colours arent just difficult to differentiate if you are colour blind, they are difficult to differentiate fullstop, especially on certain maps. The colour codes are an absolute lifesaver.

Aside from recreating every map with a restricted pallet you're probably right.
Major WingCmdr Ginkapo

Postby iAmCaffeine on Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:09 pm

WingCmdr Ginkapo wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:

Aside from recreating every map with a restricted pallet you're probably right.

Maps are another issue altogether, but certain ones are terrible on the eye for actually distinguishing colours, not just personal taste.

The only other option is reverting back to a max. of 8 players/game.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby GoranZ on Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:40 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:

You got the conclusion that color codes are best solution based on what?
What I posted is based on solutions used in the world to ease the problems for color-blind people, and it doesn't concern the feature of color codes.

owenshooter wrote:
GoranZ wrote:The main problem is that they cant play a game like us... First color is red, second is green in every game. They have to be first and second?

um, they can play the game exactly as we do, with the colour codes on. how is the game any different for them with the codes on than it is for me with the codes on. this makes zero sense.. sooo, if a CB person is 3rd or 4th, the game is not fun for them? i don't get what you are trying to say. and again, since the colour codes were intro'd, not one CB person has complained about the gaming experience. that was the solution. i'm sorry, but what you just said, REALLY confused all the rest of what you said, into one big ball of non-sensical confusion. especially considering that you, yourself, are not color blind!! find a color blind member to come in here and explain it better. again, not one CB member has complained since the Color Codes were introduced. you don't really seem to be making much sense...-Jn

Helloooo you read what I write on first post or not?

Let me quote it for you.
GoranZ wrote:How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:

Let me rephrase it again. SAME GAME EXPERIENCE is not the same as TURN COLOR CODES AND PLAY AS NORMAL PLAYERS WHEN THEY HAVE COLOR CODES TURNED ON

The idea behind the proposal is SAME GAME EXPERIENCE. Color codes are not providing same game experience no matter what you will say.

General GoranZ

Next

Return to Suggestions