Conquer Club

Alternative Escalating Spoils

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Alternative Escalating Spoils

Postby Orack on Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:26 pm

Flat rate spoils are great at the beginning of the game and for a good portion of the game but after the game has lasted for a long time, things get stale and a player kill becomes less and less viable given the lack of return on investment relative to the cost. Escalating Spoils really help incentivize risk taking. It helps keep games short but it is actually too short (particularly in games with lots of players. Spoils are op too quickly. I think it should be a slower escalation, let's say 1+ per turn not per player cash in. As it is, it's +3 PER CASH IN. That's too much imo.

This escalating spoils change will provide more strategic planning for larger games with more players. It slows down the game enough for bonuses to matter but also disincentivizes late game stagnation.
Colonel Orack

Re: Alternative Escalating Spoils

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:05 am

The point of escalating spoils is that at some point, they exceed the level of the stalemate and allow someone to win a game without having to backstab someone or suicide to hand it to someone else. For people who enjoy the long haul, flat rate suits them well, the variability is an important aspect of the game play and allows players to use their words to pit others against each other while knowing they hold a strong set to stem the tide.

Escalating didn't always have an exponential factor to them, it was added at some point to avoid stalemating games. If you want spoils that help keep the game even the whole way through what you are asking for is essentially a game focussed around spoils (because if you miss one, it hurts really bad) but its essentially a no spoils game. I don't see a really big base for people who would want to play the way you've outlined. To me anyone who wants a game to stalemate out, should play flat rate or no spoils. I think this would just add confusion and another game style for people who like long stalemating games.
High Score: 3435
Major Swimmerdude99

Postby mrswdk on Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:22 am

How about we have six types of spoils?

• Normal flat rate: as now
  • Reduced flat rate: sets are worth 1, 3, 5 and 7 each
  • Escalating flat rate: sets are always worth the same, higher amount (10, 15, 20, 25)
  • Standard escalating: as now
  • Reduced escalating: OP's suggestion - spoils increase but at a reduced rate
  • Escalating escalating: hyper inflation, spoils are already worth 100 by the third set

This would help players play at all speeds and strategies that best suit them.

They would also benefit the site by adding an extra set of fiddly, niche, nuanced options for people to tinker with, further reducing the pool of boring, lame, standardised, straightforward games. After all, what casual player would settle for the traditional gameplay options on the classic map when they could choose to instead play a nice relaxing game of Conquer 500, Fog, Polymorphic, Alternating Nuclear Escalating, Parachute, Non-Fog Reinforcements, Topsy Turvy, Clown Car, Sudden Death?
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:02 pm

I have a different suggestion. How about I actually get a set when I have four cards?

I am so fucking sick and tired of always sitting on two pair when I have four cards. Other people get sets with 3, but I always have to wait to 5.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Elaterate on Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:30 am

Dukasaur wrote:I have a different suggestion. How about I actually get a set when I have four cards?

I am so fucking sick and tired of always sitting on two pair when I have four cards. Other people get sets with 3, but I always have to wait to 5.

or have the deck actually get shuffled before a card is returned to a player. 128 territories on Feudal Epic and you can play a card and get +2 extra troops on that tert and then get that tert/card back on your next card? or card after that? Seen that way too many times and it makes no sense to me. Can understand it happening on a map where there are not enough terts for every player to have 5 cards (Example: Classic map, 9+ players) but when you're play 1v1 Classic and your opponent gets +2 on the same tert in back to back cashes...? That should never happen.
Major Elaterate

Postby mrswdk on Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:33 am

Dukasaur wrote:I have a different suggestion. How about I actually get a set when I have four cards?

Plus the option to cash in single spoils for a reduced number of troops. I would suggest red and green each being worth 1, and blue being worth 2.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Return to Suggestions