Conquer Club

New recruits

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

New recruits

Postby thegroover on Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:14 am

New recruits

Any questions, contact one of the Suggestions Moderators.
Can we have a setting to refuse new recruits to join games please.

Concise description:
  • Far too many new recruits join games and never move. Its very frustrating. They should have to play 5 games to then be allowed to join members games.

Specifics/Details:
  • Add a button in setting to stop new recruits joining games. If someone want s to play new recruits they can turn this off.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • May stop people joining just to screw around.
Captain thegroover

Re: New recruits

Postby DBandit70 on Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:45 pm

lol what are you scared of them?
Major DBandit70

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:15 am

I think maybe a different approach would be for them to fully complete 1 Guide Game before being able to join Public games, rather than just have a button that excludes all New Recruits.
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby iAmCaffeine on Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:16 am

yeah, nah
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby Extreme Ways on Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:29 pm

Jdsizzleslice wrote:I think maybe a different approach would be for them to fully complete 1 Guide Game before being able to join Public games, rather than just have a button that excludes all New Recruits.

I like your idea, though you also have sometimes a bunch of friends just wanting to play, or perhaps a referral through an active player. I'd rather not force them to play a fully completed guide game, as these do take a while to finish unless it's rt'd.

I still like an approach of disabling most maps and I'm having a deja-vu here because I thought we already did in the past. We have a classifier for 'advanced gameplay', it would be great to not have NRs play maps with advanced gameplay in their first 5 games. Added to that, I also like the idea of a NR not losing any points if it deadbeated.
REP, ex-TOFU, ex-VDLL, ex-KoRT.
Brigadier Extreme Ways

Postby iAmCaffeine on Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:31 pm

Extreme Ways wrote:I still like an approach of disabling most maps and I'm having a deja-vu here because I thought we already did in the past.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=232804#p5143467
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby Extreme Ways on Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:35 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:
Extreme Ways wrote:I still like an approach of disabling most maps and I'm having a deja-vu here because I thought we already did in the past.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=232804#p5143467

Thanks, I missed this. Not what I meant with deja-vu, but definitely a change I like.
Brigadier Extreme Ways

Postby mc05025 on Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:49 pm

Jdsizzleslice wrote:I think maybe a different approach would be for them to fully complete 1 Guide Game before being able to join Public games, rather than just have a button that excludes all New Recruits.

This.

Actually I would say any full game senario, bot or guide game.
Maybe also permit joining any classic map with simple settings games from first game.
Also permit joining if they are invited to the game

Also it is obvious that deadbeating NRs should not give points to winner nor lose any points. This will also solve many problems.

But I agree. We made a quad hive game and 2 NR joined it. It is waste of time for me and NRs will not have a good experience from it
Field Marshal mc05025

Postby iAmCaffeine on Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:10 pm

mc05025 wrote:But I agree. We made a quad hive game and 2 NR joined it. It is waste of time for me and NRs will not have a good experience from it

They got invited.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:18 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:
mc05025 wrote:But I agree. We made a quad hive game and 2 NR joined it. It is waste of time for me and NRs will not have a good experience from it

They got invited.

*Sigh* I did not invite them to Game 19820202, as you accused me of doing in a PM. They were invited by the first player on their team. But I mean, you won't believe anything I say anyways, so what's the point.

Our Hive Team does not need to play New Recruits in order to win. We would prefer to not play New Recruits. A quick game search will tell you that we will play just about anyone. How about you put together a team and challenge us on this map?

Now, back to the point of this topic...

Extreme Ways wrote:

I like your idea, though you also have sometimes a bunch of friends just wanting to play, or perhaps a referral through an active player. I'd rather not force them to play a fully completed guide game, as these do take a while to finish unless it's rt'd.

mc05025 wrote:Actually I would say any full game senario, bot or guide game.
Maybe also permit joining any classic map with simple settings games from first game.
Also permit joining if they are invited to the game

Also it is obvious that deadbeating NRs should not give points to winner nor lose any points. This will also solve many problems.

I do like the idea of extending this to Bot, Guide, and Scenario Games. Nice addition there, mc.

I guess we need to break out the Pros and Cons list, because EW makes a good point about friends joining or being referred. Which quality outweighs the other, do you think?
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby mc05025 on Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:41 pm

You can play with your friends by inviting them. If you do not have premium then ok you have to play a guide game with them first. I think it's fine
Field Marshal mc05025

Postby YukFoo on Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:11 pm

This is the answer.

Either 1 completed guide game, or 1 completed bot game. I learn more from bot games.

These guys are annoying. You get 5 new recruits in a row who don't take any turns, and then new recruit number 6 spanks you silly and you lose 50 points!
Cook YukFoo

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:34 am

After 5 completed games, New Recruits move into the Rankings. Maybe an idea would be to have all New Recruits lose zero points in all games, until they hit 5 completed games and become an actual rank? This would help with the Farming/Ranching of New Recruits, too because there would be no points to win/lose. This would help more members actually play against New Recruits because there would be no fear of losing a great amount of points and there would be no fear of being accused or being seen as a farmer/rancher.
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby Extreme Ways on Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:49 am

Jdsizzleslice wrote:After 5 completed games, New Recruits move into the Rankings. Maybe an idea would be to have all New Recruits lose zero points in all games, until they hit 5 completed games and become an actual rank? This would help with the Farming/Ranching of New Recruits, too because there would be no points to win/lose. This would help more members actually play against New Recruits because there would be no fear of losing a great amount of points and there would be no fear of being accused or being seen as a farmer/rancher.

Do you mean that points loss/gain is "buffered", or that the games only become rated after 5 games? I think both are good options.
Brigadier Extreme Ways

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:21 am

Extreme Ways wrote:
Jdsizzleslice wrote:After 5 completed games, New Recruits move into the Rankings. Maybe an idea would be to have all New Recruits lose zero points in all games, until they hit 5 completed games and become an actual rank? This would help with the Farming/Ranching of New Recruits, too because there would be no points to win/lose. This would help more members actually play against New Recruits because there would be no fear of losing a great amount of points and there would be no fear of being accused or being seen as a farmer/rancher.

Do you mean that points loss/gain is "buffered", or that the games only become rated after 5 games? I think both are good options.

My thought was the latter: that games become rated only after 5 games.
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby ljex on Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:27 pm

Jdsizzleslice wrote:
Extreme Ways wrote:

My thought was the latter: that games become rated only after 5 games.

This makes sense, would also ensure that only people who want to invest the time into playing with NR's do so. I actually think it could be fine if NR's get points for wins but they aren't actually lost from the opponent as well. Like sure more points make it into the ecosystem by adding them without someone losing them but I think if this change is implemented way more would be removed from the ecosystem by NR's not losing 40-50 points in their first 4 games and never coming back.
Captain ljex

Postby iAmCaffeine on Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:56 pm

ljex wrote:I actually think it could be fine if NR's get points for wins but they aren't actually lost from the opponent as well.

I think it has to be done like this, otherwise new recruits won't stick around to start playing for points.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:15 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:
ljex wrote:I actually think it could be fine if NR's get points for wins but they aren't actually lost from the opponent as well.

I think it has to be done like this, otherwise new recruits won't stick around to start playing for points.

I am not sure this would help retain New Recruits, though. I have a lot of Guide Games that go unfinished because the New Recruits deadbeat after 3 or 4 turns. It's not the fact that no points are gained, or what is/isn't stated in the game chat, etc. For this concept that you both mention, It would be better to instead to focus on what does keep New Recruits on the site long enough to actually become a ranked member.

I think we are really talking about two issues here: New Recruit retention and Ranching/Farming reports/stigma. I'm not sure at this point there is a solution that will help meet both of these needs. These two issues are related but may have two very different solutions.
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby Mad777 on Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:47 am

I would be in favor of waiving points system in all game involving a NR, this should take care of all the ongoing issue...If NR still around after their 5 games and turn with their ranking icon they can then work on gaining point from there.
Also it become more easy to target farming watching those who invite low ranked players and we disregards the NR side of this issue.

EDIT: I have sent a PM to webmaster, will see what he think about that.
".....We are Groot!....."
Captain Mad777

Postby thegroover on Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:04 am

DBandit70 wrote:lol what are you scared of them?

lol. No just bored with setting up new games only for a non playing newbie to join the games!
Captain thegroover

Return to Suggestions