Conquer Club

An Actual Flat Rate

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

An Actual Flat Rate

Postby MGSteve on Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:02 am

A Flat rate that is actually Flat
  • Replace the current so-called flat rate with an actual flat rate

Rename the current so-called flat rate something appropriate such as spoils colors rate
  • Flat rate is just that; flat. In real risk games, the flat rate is 8 troops for turn in every time no matter what spoils are used.

This will eliminate confusion and anger over selecting a flat rate game only to find it isn't flat:
  • This will eliminate having newly joined people going WTF! and leaving when they opt for a flat rate game only to find that it is anything but flat. It will also make gameplay much more interesting for members as many of us very much enjoy a flat rate game and wish that one was available on CC. By renaming the current so-called flat rate something appropriate and instituting an actual flat rate, the shock of finding out that the so-called flat rate isn't flat will no longer be a factor causing people to leave CC and it will enhance play for countless members who miss and want a real flat rate. I constantly played flat rate back before I found CC and did the same when I got here. When I found out that there was no flat rate here, I was sorely disappointed. The dice algorithm in use here is horrible with dice luck that is both worse and better than any game ever conducted with actual dice. And when you add the colors of the spoils to the dice as another computer selected luck factor, then it's not at all uncommon for the unrealistically bad dice to go right in hand with almost entirely red and green spoils and the unrealistically great dice to go with nothing but rainbows. Countless people have left CC due to the horrific dice algorithm and countless more no doubt will before anything is done about it. We just lost a really great player who was appalled at the dice algorithm and promptly found another one that actually worked. But when he tried to help CC by presenting the alternative dice algorithm and other improvements, he was again appalled by having no one get back to him in any timely fashion. And when someone finally did, he seemed more interested in arguing with him rather than investigating what that player was presenting. Well, here's another improvement that will eliminate confusion, cut down on computer selected luck factors and greatly improve play for those of us who continue to line the pockets of the owners despite the unrealistic dice. Please make it happen.
Major MGSteve

Re: An Actual Flat Rate

Postby Extreme Ways on Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:35 am

MGSteve wrote:A Flat rate that is actually Flat
  • Replace the current so-called flat rate with an actual flat rate

Rename the current so-called flat rate something appropriate such as spoils colors rate
  • Flat rate is just that; flat. In real risk games, the flat rate is 8 troops for turn in every time no matter what spoils are used.

This will eliminate confusion and anger over selecting a flat rate game only to find it isn't flat:
  • This will eliminate having newly joined people going WTF! and leaving when they opt for a flat rate game only to find that it is anything but flat. It will also make gameplay much more interesting for members as many of us very much enjoy a flat rate game and wish that one was available on CC. By renaming the current so-called flat rate something appropriate and instituting an actual flat rate, the shock of finding out that the so-called flat rate isn't flat will no longer be a factor causing people to leave CC and it will enhance play for countless members who miss and want a real flat rate. I constantly played flat rate back before I found CC and did the same when I got here. When I found out that there was no flat rate here, I was sorely disappointed. The dice algorithm in use here is horrible with dice luck that is both worse and better than any game ever conducted with actual dice. And when you add the colors of the spoils to the dice as another computer selected luck factor, then it's not at all uncommon for the unrealistically bad dice to go right in hand with almost entirely red and green spoils and the unrealistically great dice to go with nothing but rainbows. Countless people have left CC due to the horrific dice algorithm and countless more no doubt will before anything is done about it. We just lost a really great player who was appalled at the dice algorithm and promptly found another one that actually worked. But when he tried to help CC by presenting the alternative dice algorithm and other improvements, he was again appalled by having no one get back to him in any timely fashion. And when someone finally did, he seemed more interested in arguing with him rather than investigating what that player was presenting. Well, here's another improvement that will eliminate confusion, cut down on computer selected luck factors and greatly improve play for those of us who continue to line the pockets of the owners despite the unrealistic dice. Please make it happen.

Depends on which version of the rules you're taking. Old risk does have the 4/6/8 split, I'm down to believe that newer risk rules do use a flat rate.
REP, ex-TOFU, ex-VDLL, ex-KoRT.
Brigadier Extreme Ways

Postby t4mcr53s2 on Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:33 pm

second that it depends on which version of the rules you're taking. Old risk does have the 4/6/8 split, I'm down to believe that newer risk rules do use a flat rate.
mine was about 1963-5 with 4,6,8,

but would be fine with having steady 8 as an alternative... agree with the disc algotrithm (that Al sure can dance, neh?) comment ; I've adjusted and accepted , and never auto assault if ridiculous bad dice could make be lose, and always auto assault when only ridiculous good dice can save me

I know the good and bad even out, but the extremes are more prevalent in auto assault
I wish either my father or my mother, or indeed both of them as they were in duty both equally bound to it, had minded what they were about when....

If 2 player fog game,please allow 12 hour snap courtesy, or post what I could have seen.... Thank you
General t4mcr53s2

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:44 pm

Interesting. I have only played risk where it is indeed 4 6 8. Comment though - maybe it's better served for a gen discussion on the topic but oh well - I play a lot of flat rate for the tiered card system. In every game, there are definitively two points of "luck" - dice and drop. To me, the tiered card system adds a third element of "luck" based play, thus working to balance out any unevenness. In a perfect game you would obviously have even dice, even drop and no cards but we know the game isn't perfect. I just always viewed the tiered system as the great equalizer - you get a good drop and the dice early, i still have a chance with cards. Even drop but I have great dice? Well maybe you get the tri set to balance it out. Without them, the game is often over before it starts. Now factor in the strategy involved with cashing that green set or holding out for the tri color - there's a little something more than luck involved in a tiered card system the same way there's more than luck when it comes to how and when to roll the dice or use the drop.

Point being, if you even out the cards to a single flat rate, I think you're actually pumping in more luck, not less. The three card set takes on even more value and that IS pure luck. And with dice, the longer the game goes the more they generally tend to even out so logic would say cards would act in much the same way. I'm not sure you'd see much of a difference in the long run. What would be really beneficial for this conversation would be card stats to go along with dice stats.
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:04 pm

My early 2000s risk had escalating as well as flat rate instructions in the box! Even had counters for escalating around the map. But mine had 4-6-8-10 for the flat rate sets.
High Score: 3435
Major Swimmerdude99

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:21 pm

swimmerdude99 wrote:My early 2000s risk had escalating as well as flat rate instructions in the box! Even had counters for escalating around the map. But mine had 4-6-8-10 for the flat rate sets.

Ah yes, that's right. Mine was also the 4 6 8 10 we see here.
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby Arama86n on Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:30 am

Actually, every version of the board game I have seen here in Sweden has the same Flat Rate as here on CC. With the obvious exception that red, green & blue are soldiers, cavalry and cannons.

I have a faint memory of a discussion long ago where we came to the conclusion that it was the same in much of Europe, and that Escalating was an American thing.
Maybe the version differences are not as simple as a EU/US thing, but it could be that was how it started.
Major Arama86n

Postby Shannon Apple on Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:50 am

But it is flat rate as it is now. Flat rate doesn't mean that everything is the same. Each different set of spoils has a flat rate, meaning that you are cashing that set for the same number every time 4, 6, 8,10. I've never felt any confusion over this to be honest. =) Changing it to 8 (no matter what spoils are cashed) would change that setting entirely. And might even be less fun.

Conquerclub, as a game, has evolved beyond the Risk boardgame, so should we really be thinking "Hasbro changed how they handle flat rate, we should too." Any of the rules I've looked at for the classic board game only show how to play with escalating spoils. I've never owned a physical game myself though. It must all depend on which set you buy and what they deem suitable for a particular map.
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
Colonel Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Extreme Ways on Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:10 pm

Shannon Apple wrote:But it is flat rate as it is now. Flat rate doesn't mean that everything is the same. Each different set of spoils has a flat rate, meaning that you are cashing that set for the same number every time 4, 6, 8,10. I've never felt any confusion over this to be honest. =) Changing it to 8 (no matter what spoils are cashed) would change that setting entirely. And might even be less fun.

Conquerclub, as a game, has evolved beyond the Risk boardgame, so should we really be thinking "Hasbro changed how they handle flat rate, we should too." Any of the rules I've looked at for the classic board game only show how to play with escalating spoils. I've never owned a physical game myself though. It must all depend on which set you buy and what they deem suitable for a particular map.

And we handle escalating differently too, in a great way I might add, with increasingly increasing set value.
REP, ex-TOFU, ex-VDLL, ex-KoRT.
Brigadier Extreme Ways

Return to Suggestions