Conquer Club

[GO] [Rules] Rank Restricted Games

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Let newbies protect temselves from farming with Rank Fil

Postby JoshyBoy on Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:15 am

Rank segregation is firmly opposed here at CC. We believe in peace, love, equality, and bananas for all! :)

Speaking of bananas... has anyone seen Andy recently? I think he's hiding from me. :roll:
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby Daggerheart on Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:19 am

JoshyBoy wrote:Rank segregation is firmly opposed here at CC. We believe in peace, love, equality, and bananas for all! :)

Speaking of bananas... has anyone seen Andy recently? I think he's hiding from me. :roll:

I think JoshyBoy captured the essence here... we need a new leadership of CC...

The rank segregration is allready allowed in the present system by the invite system... I have not seen so many bananas yet though...
Major Daggerheart

Postby JoshyBoy on Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:22 am

I apologise for the double post, but wouldn't a better suggestion be something like "New recruits can only play a maximum rank of Private 1st Class for the first 5/10 games" for example? You would make this automatic, don't ask me how :lol: , and then once they have finished 10/20 games, they can play up to a Sergeant 1st Class until they have completed 15/20 games. Then once they have played that amount of games they "unlock" the officer ranks. lol I sound like Queen_Herpes.

That sort of idea would be more feasible surely?

*edit* fastposted by Daggerheart, thanks. *edit*
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:23 am

Well, the invite system is mainly used to play with friends, or against friends. Also used for tournies. It has more uses than to just segregate. But if you want to overthrow the guy who created this site for you, well, have fun with that.

JoshyBoy wrote:I apologise for the double post, but wouldn't a better suggestion be something like "New recruits can only play a maximum rank of Private 1st Class for the first 5/10 games" for example? You would make this automatic, don't ask me how :lol: , and then once they have finished 10/20 games, they can play up to a Sergeant 1st Class until they have completed 15/20 games. Then once they have played that amount of games they "unlock" the officer ranks.

That sort of idea would be more feasible surely?

Well, that's sort of referring to QH's suggestion, but instead of settings, you are doing ranks.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby Daggerheart on Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:32 am

Why do "invite only" games give ranking points at all?? Things don't make sence...

The current system of course gives players the option to choose the rank of the players...

Yes unlocking the option to play against players two levels higher you is a good way too.... (two levels over and two levels under). Tournaments would still of course be open for all.
Major Daggerheart

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:56 am

Lol AndyDufresne isn't the owner, he is the Community Manager. lackattack is the Webmaster, and he is the turtle around here. Don't know what he likes to eat though.

But of course if anyone wants the suggestion that Joshy brought up, they should probably open up a new thread, as this one is related to Rank Segregation.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby Tezu on Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:04 am

TheForgivenOne wrote:Lol Andy Dufresne isn't the owner, he is the Community Manager. lackattack is the Webmaster, and he is the turtle around here. Don't know what he likes to eat though.

But of course if anyone wants the suggestion that Joshy brought up, they should probably open up a new thread, as this one is related to Rank Segregation.

This is NOT about rank segregation, it's about protection of newbs!!! The invite games are restricted to people you already know, and that makes it harder to play against new people... This is about protecting players against getting hostile comments for being newbs... I'm sick of biting my tongue so I won't hurt the feelings of people who ruin games for everyone else!!!
Lieutenant Tezu

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:05 pm

Tezu wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:Lol Andy Dufresne isn't the owner, he is the Community Manager. lackattack is the Webmaster, and he is the turtle around here. Don't know what he likes to eat though.

This is NOT about rank segregation, it's about protection of newbs!!! The invite games are restricted to people you already know, and that makes it harder to play against new people... This is about protecting players against getting hostile comments for being newbs... I'm sick of biting my tongue so I won't hurt the feelings of people who ruin games for everyone else!!!

Yeah, that's my 5 am mind talking for me. Sorry, meant to put Rank Restriction. But I did talk to a higher up power earlier, he says that they are aware of various rank limitation/restrictions, and that lack may look into the suggestion in some sort of form or iteration.
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

Rules to join games

Postby b00060 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:39 am

I think that the site as a whole would benefit from banning ? from joining games with higher ranked players, say 1600+ and above or players with 100 or so games under their belt.

New recruits would benefit by not playing against great players that may sour them on the site and will pit them against players that are of their equal experience.

Experienced players would benefit from not having multis join or having to risk 5-10x points for games.

The site would benefit from preventing farming opportunities.

I do not see how anyone can argue that someone with no game experience should play experienced players and vice versa.

I know several players that do not create public one on one games for fear of losing 50 points to a multi.

Thoughts?
Major b00060

Re: Rules to join games

Postby Darwins_Bane on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:53 am

b00060 wrote:I think that the site as a whole would benefit from banning ? from joining games with higher ranked players, say 1600+ and above or players with 100 or so games under their belt.

New recruits would benefit by not playing against great players that may sour them on the site and will pit them against players that are of their equal experience.

Experienced players would benefit from not having multis join or having to risk 5-10x points for games.

The site would benefit from preventing farming opportunities.

I do not see how anyone can argue that someone with no game experience should play experienced players and vice versa.

I know several players that do not create public one on one games for fear of losing 50 points to a multi.

Thoughts?

You report everyone who joins your games as multis. you follow them around and tell everyone else they are a multi even if they've been cleared. have you tried not playing them instead? besides, do a search instead of arrogantly thinking you're the only one who has ever come up with this idea.
high score : 2294
02:59:29 ā€¹Khan22ā€ŗ wouldn't you love to have like 5 or 6 girls all giving you attention?
10/11/2010 02:59:39 ā€¹TheForgivenOneā€ŗ No.
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Postby b00060 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:23 am

Thank you for your wonderful insight Darwins_Bane. I report everyone? I have reported three and two were busted immediately and the third, I know is one. If I could prevent them from joining and "not playing them" I would, that is the point of this string.
Major b00060

Postby MichelSableheart on Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:41 pm

To be honest, I'm afraid the enjoyment of new recruits is hampered far more by the fact that other new recruits (who are limited to the same settings and therefore more likely to join the same games) are far more likely to flake then by the risk of losing to an experienced player.

Furthermore, where are you getting the idea that because someone is new to the site, someone isn't good enough at the game to give the high ranks a run for their points? With some experience on the boardgame and a bit of common sense, a new recruit will perform better then most players on this site.

Finally, I remember something about the site being against rank segregation.
Colonel MichelSableheart

The matchmaking and rating system

Postby Daggerheart on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:43 am

I returned to CC after 1 year of abscense and found the same reason I left still present. CC aims to make players happy in many ways, lot of options and possibilities. Or as an moderator here so nicely put it: "Free bananas for all!". After some games I am now leaving CC again. I and I want to say once more why: There is a terrible flaw in the matchmaking/rating system. It should not be necessary to only make private invite games to play vs players around you own rating level. I really can't see that this will damage the scoreboard, the general players experience or anything! I want to repeat this: "Selecting players to your game is allready allowed!!!!" BUT it's tiresome to send invites and I personally thinks that the option of handpicking your opponents to rated games are alot more unlogical at a site where the ratingssystem is so present (hitting players you know are weaker than yourself/your team... if that is your choice)...

Concise description:
  • Please add an option to the matchmaking allowing rating requirements
  • Change the way "invite only" games work and hide your opponents until the game starts

Specifics/Details:

One of these two would solve the flaw:
  • Add an option under "Start A Game" so only players with a ratingdifference of -100/+100 could join your game
  • Add an option under "Start A Game" so only players with one rank higher or lower could join your game

Other suggestions that would also benefit the site:

• Add an option so that players below a certain rating can't join the game. Cooks that jump games must find another cook game :P
  • If one of the options above is added, remove the rating points for the invite only games completely. Only give rating points for "open" games and tournament games. When creating "open" games the opponents are hidden until the game starts! Yeah, that would teach the rating "farmers" a lesson! Note: You CAN invite and see your team members

Personally I like the first suggestion best together with the change in the invite only games!

Important: Please note that when the game have started the players rating at the start of the game is used when calculating the rating win/loss in the end!

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • This would only make more people happy, at least I would :-) Since it's just an option you can still make games free for everybody.
  • It would give an increased sense of fairness to CC and make the scoreboard an interesting place

I would like to talk personally with the owner of this site... could a moderator please send him a message that I want to talk to him? I don't want to piss him off by trying to make a contact myself...
Last edited by Daggerheart on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:44 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Major Daggerheart

Re: The matchmaking and rating system

Postby Arama86n on Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:48 am

Slightly off topic but;

You play almost exclusivly 1v1, so why not just throw up 50 waiting games, make password standard for (2000+ Majors & above) in callouts, ask that no player join more than 3-5 games cause you'd like variation. violĆ”
Hell with that setup you prolly wouldn't even need to bother posting links, 1v1's always fill, just write for interested people to go to your profile and find a waiting game, cause they all have same password.

Just got to use a little imagination.
Major Arama86n

Postby hmsps on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:13 am

i tottally agree with Daggerhearts suggestion. This would also help lower ranked players so they can set up games without the fear of being farmed by certain players (although its not against the rules but it is against the spirit and does not enhance the experience of lower ranked/less experienced players).
Highest score 3372 02/08/12
Highest position 53 02/08/12
Lieutenant hmsps

Postby Daggerheart on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:55 am

Thanks for the support. NOW it's time to address this issue to the owner! :-)
Major Daggerheart

Postby TheForgivenOne on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:38 pm

Daggerheart wrote:Thanks for the support. NOW it's time to address this issue to the owner! :-)

Just because 2 people agree with you, does not mean it's going to be forwarded.

But this is from a thread a week or two ago.

TheForgivenOne wrote:I did talk to a higher up power earlier, he says that they are aware of various rank limitation/restrictions, and that lack may look into the suggestion in some sort of form or iteration.

But, it's on the back burner of things to do, so you may not see it for quite a while.
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby Daggerheart on Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:01 pm

Ok, TheForgivenOne, then I put my trust in you... please get the leader guy to read my thread... that's the only thing I ask for...

Because... I know I took the bull by the horn this time... and actually I think you know it too...
Major Daggerheart

Postby hmsps on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:59 pm

i really dont think that as a suggestions moderator you should be so dismissive, you will only hamper creativity. It will stop the likes of Crash22, alstergen and other famring pts off lower ranks if lower ranks dont want them to. An example of this in the last 2 weeks is that the lower rank has dropped the game due to the higher ranks joining such as a colonel and brig. It seems to me we are happy to call it farming when we could get money off these people but once they join we really don't give one.
Lieutenant hmsps

Postby hmsps on Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:04 pm

As a side note these 2 dropped the game when i joined before my partner took up the invite so these things will continue to happen until you do something about it. And just because only 2 people agree doesnt make it any less a valid suggestion
Lieutenant hmsps

Postby Queen_Herpes on Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:25 pm

I agree. Czech out my sug:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006
Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby Daggerheart on Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:07 am

hmsps wrote:As a side note these 2 dropped the game when i joined before my partner took up the invite so these things will continue to happen until you do something about it. And just because only 2 people agree doesnt make it any less a valid suggestion

Yes, this is a serious issue. We are talking about farming and a system that let you choose your opponents in matches that gives rating points... this is worse than the boxing federations.

The scoreboard is a bloody joke!

I tought this site was run by people with logic and brains?

I really like CC, and now it needs to take the step from good to superb...

I "demand" to talk to the owner of this site before I leave for good!
Last edited by Daggerheart on Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major Daggerheart

Postby TheForgivenOne on Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:43 am

Well, lackattack does not accept PM's, he is currently on vacation, and as i said, they are considering a rank limitation/restriction. You seriously can't expect these kind of updates to happen overnight.
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby Daggerheart on Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:13 am

I really hope alot of you people out there make a comment to this post. This issue must be dealt with. Thanks.
Major Daggerheart

Postby MichelSableheart on Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:30 pm

To be honest, I really don't see the need for this suggestion. Coming from a mainly standard multiplayer experience, it's extremely rare that players are so outclassed that the enjoyment of the game suffers. Most of the time, playing vs. a higher rank is a good learning experience, and playing against lower ranks should give you a fun game.

The only reason I can see to limit the opponents you can play against to players of your own level is because you are concerned about losing too many points against lower ranked opponents. But frankly, that's part of the ELO like scoring system we use. It's necessary for the ranking to remain a good indicator of someone's abilities.
Colonel MichelSableheart

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions