Conquer Club

[GP] Surrender/Resign/Forfeit Button

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Lets start another thread on this topic, so we can merge

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:55 pm

concrete wrote:
owenshooter wrote:
concrete wrote:If the majority of the members want one, then we can vote on what kind exactly we need.

doesn't matter... the one time the site had it, it was abused to the nth degree... every owner has stated there will not be a surrender button... this is not going to change... pick better settings... in before the MERGE, with the rest of the "whiner/surrender button" threads... the black jesus has spoken...-Jésus noir

doesn't matter owen, this isn't a thread to try to get a button, I pretty much know this wont happen, otherwise it would have been up and running for a while now, this is simply a thread to get a count of who would like to see a quit button of some kind implemented in this site. As I stated before, I don't think I have seen an actual count of this. All the threads I have ever seen on the subject has arguments over silly why and why nots. I simply wanted to put numbers to this subject so the whole site can see it.....useful piece of info to have if the owner wants to see it for some reason. And from what I have seen players like to be heard in some way.

A year ago the surrender button was inches away from being implemented. Some of the old guard of mods fought really hard to stop the implementation. None of those old-guard mods are on the team any more. If the same proposal had been brought forward this year, it would have passed. Unfortunately, BW doesn't like re-trying things. If an idea is defeated he moves on to something else, and rarely goes back to something that didn't work out the first time around. So, it may be a while before it's tried again, but if it is, the core of old-timers that stopped it last time won't be there to stop it again.

I think that, although the surrender button has been defeated many times in the past, people should not give up. It is a logical idea that will eventually win.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Re: Lets vote on the "I Quit Button"

Postby concrete on Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:16 pm

yes.....25
no.......4

voting slowed down so I guess people get board with this quickly.....might be your last chance to be heard on this subject for awhile.
Captain concrete

Location: Highest score...3251 /#49 .... sitters: RKCVED, scottp

Postby dschulman on Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:21 pm

I vote no
Lieutenant dschulman

Postby lt.pie on Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:44 am

yes for 1v1 trench games and that is all .
Lieutenant lt.pie

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:21 am

Dukasaur wrote:
concrete wrote:
owenshooter wrote:
concrete wrote:If the majority of the members want one, then we can vote on what kind exactly we need.

doesn't matter... the one time the site had it, it was abused to the nth degree... every owner has stated there will not be a surrender button... this is not going to change... pick better settings... in before the MERGE, with the rest of the "whiner/surrender button" threads... the black jesus has spoken...-Jésus noir

doesn't matter owen, this isn't a thread to try to get a button, I pretty much know this wont happen, otherwise it would have been up and running for a while now, this is simply a thread to get a count of who would like to see a quit button of some kind implemented in this site. As I stated before, I don't think I have seen an actual count of this. All the threads I have ever seen on the subject has arguments over silly why and why nots. I simply wanted to put numbers to this subject so the whole site can see it.....useful piece of info to have if the owner wants to see it for some reason. And from what I have seen players like to be heard in some way.

A year ago the surrender button was inches away from being implemented. Some of the old guard of mods fought really hard to stop the implementation. None of those old-guard mods are on the team any more. If the same proposal had been brought forward this year, it would have passed. Unfortunately, BW doesn't like re-trying things. If an idea is defeated he moves on to something else, and rarely goes back to something that didn't work out the first time around. So, it may be a while before it's tried again, but if it is, the core of old-timers that stopped it last time won't be there to stop it again.

I think that, although the surrender button has been defeated many times in the past, people should not give up. It is a logical idea that will eventually win.

I'm still here.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby zips5000 on Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:48 pm

Yes.
Colonel zips5000

Postby Lord Arioch on Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:48 pm

Jawhol
or yes or ja or ... u get it O:)
Major Lord Arioch

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:10 pm

It will come as a surprise to no one that I support the option of a resign button.

I also support the use of polls where appropriate.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby concrete on Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:26 am

well, after 5 days of voting, tally stands at

yes............29

no..............5
Captain concrete

Postby TheGreys on Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:43 pm

Played on a site with a quit button , very annoying and would be disastrous in an escalating game. No!
We come in peace! https://plus.google.com/communities/118007516813631836793
Lieutenant TheGreys

Postby Namliam on Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:25 pm

Yes.
Colonel Namliam

Postby Army of GOD on Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:56 pm

I like how he's keeping the vote by hand and not through a poll...
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Coler on Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:42 pm

Yes...in 1 v 1.

No otherwise.
Sergeant 1st Class Coler

Postby mrswdk on Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:54 am

no
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby owenshooter on Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:36 am

Dukasaur wrote:it may be a while before it's tried again, but if it is, the core of old-timers that stopped it last time won't be there to stop it again.

i really hope you just stop and think how shitty this statement is on your part... not only shitty, but embarrassing... you would make an awesome politician...-Jésus noir
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Re: Lets leave the "I Quit Button", buried out back.

Postby owenshooter on Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:44 am

one more thing... i find it amusing that we know the history of this button... we know how it ended... we know they buried it deep with promises and oaths to never bring it back, to never let it see the light of day... this knowledge was passed on from owner to owner... the corpse was out behind the CC shed, buried deep, but obviously not deep enough... and despite the history of the button, the anecdotal and empirical evidence, people still want to bring this back... it was abused. period. it will be abused again. period. leave it buried behind the shed. the black jesus has spoken...-Jésus noir
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Serbia on Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:31 pm

Dukasaur wrote:I think that, although the surrender button has been defeated many times in the past, people should not give up.

The amazing irony in this comment. I agree with you Duk; people should not give up.

NO TO SURRENDERING.

owenshooter wrote:one more thing... i find it amusing that we know the history of this button... we know how it ended... we know they buried it deep with promises and oaths to never bring it back, to never let it see the light of day... this knowledge was passed on from owner to owner... the corpse was out behind the CC shed, buried deep, but obviously not deep enough... and despite the history of the button, the anecdotal and empirical evidence, people still want to bring this back... it was abused. period. it will be abused again. period. leave it buried behind the shed. the black jesus has spoken...-Jésus noir

Listen to the Black Jesus, people.

Bollocks.
CONFUSED? YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU'RE RIPE
saxitoxin wrote:Serbia is a RUDE DUDE
may not be a PRUDE, but he's gotta 'TUDE
might not be LEWD, but he's gonna get BOOED
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby Serbia on Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:34 pm

Shannon Apple wrote:Something like this would need proper implementation.

For example,
- you cannot quit a multiplayer game, unless you are one of the last two players.
- You cannot quit unless you have played at LEAST 10 rounds in a game.
- You should only be able to use an "I quit" button for a limited amount of times each week to prevent abuse. Tough shit if you want to point dump, or play too many games.
- I don't agree with a 3 missed turn penalty for ending a game, especially when there's an obvious winner and ending it is a favour to both players. Too many people want punishments pushed forward for something that makes sense.

And this is part of the problem; we've seen how well things get implemented around here. Auto tournaments, anyone? What a joke they are, and it's because of the implementation.

But regardless, I remain 100% opposed to any kind of quitter's button.

In fact, here's a counter-suggestion: identify which game types are most likely to cause protracted, drawn out games (trench being the most obvious) and make these settings available only to premium members. This way, freemiums can't complain about a game slot being taken up by a so-called hopeless loss (or so-called obvious win). For premiums, who gives a damn; you can play unlimited games anyway, so stop bitching and finish the game.

Bollocks.
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby degaston on Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:06 pm

How about an alternative to surrender?

What if, after three missed turns, players are automatically put into "abandoned" mode, instead of being kicked out?

While in abandoned mode, a player retains their cards and troops (even deferred troops), but they do not gain any additional deferred troops, and their turns are skipped immediately instead of waiting 24 hours. The system could send them one notice when it puts them into abandoned mode, but no "your move" emails after that. In the "Action" panel, there could be a notice that informs them that they have abandoned the game, and a button that would allow them to rejoin the game after one complete round. The other players (even other abandoned players) would be given notice that the abandoned player is returning, and everyone would have one move to prepare for it.

• This should be an acceptable solution to those who don't want to play out a lost trench game.
  • I would be in favor of a button that allows you to enter abandoned mode immediately, to avoid wasting the winner's time, and to avoid an unnecessary hit on a player's "% of turns taken" stat, but it would still work without it.
  • This would also solve the unfair situation that can crop up on multiplayer games where one player deadbeats, and his partner gains an advantage or bonus because the deadbeat's troops become his.
  • If all players abandon a game, then I think it should be ended with no winner, and no points won or lost. This would allow a simple resolution to games that have become "stuck" with enormous stacks.
Brigadier degaston

Postby Donelladan on Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:00 am

In fact, here's a counter-suggestion: identify which game types are most likely to cause protracted, drawn out games (trench being the most obvious) and make these settings available only to premium members. This way, freemiums can't complain about a game slot being taken up by a so-called hopeless loss (or so-called obvious win). For premiums, who gives a damn; you can play unlimited games anyway, so stop bitching and finish the game.

Surrender button is necessary, at least, for trench speed game, and especially polymorph trench speed.
Ever tried waiting your opponent deadbeating in a poly 4 trench 3 mins game? 36 mins to wait ( + time when you play your turn ). That's quite a long boring time someone may not want to spend in front of his computer.
Surely enough you could simply leave and miss turns too, because your opponent left first he should be kicked out first.
Well, that appeared to be wrong sometimes as someone could see if reading the bug section. But even if this bug has been solved, it happened sometimes that unethical players just deadbeat a few turns and play the last making you lose the game that you were winning if you left your computer. Also sometimes one could start a turn by mistake on a speed game he is deadbeating simply because he was playing other speed game at the same time.

A surrender button would solve all these problems.
Make the surrender button only available for trench games, make it only for 2 players as well, and obviously most of the counter argument for a surrender button become void.
I am still looking for a sensible argument of why we shouldn't have a surrender button - assuming this is ONLY for a 2 player games.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby Serbia on Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:15 am

Donelladan wrote:Surrender button is necessary, at least, for trench speed game, and especially polymorph trench speed.
Ever tried waiting your opponent deadbeating in a poly 4 trench 3 mins game? 36 mins to wait ( + time when you play your turn ). That's quite a long boring time someone may not want to spend in front of his computer.

No, I haven't. Why? I'd never play a speed game with such ridiculous settings! You're setting yourself up for nonsense, and as far as I'm concerned, that's on you, not the site. You've been around long enough to know better. And if you choose to play those settings, you get what you get.

Bollocks.
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby concrete on Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:29 am

After 15 days the total stands at

yes.................31
no..................8
Captain concrete

Postby owenshooter on Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:52 am

concrete wrote:After 15 days the total stands at

yes.................31
no..................8

after 9 years, the clear cut winner across all owners is still what the site is following... but hey, you have a majority!!! 31 of the 8K members on the site... can someone break down what that percentage is for me? is that even half of a percentage point of members? *snicker*... A COUP!!! go Wicked on us and pull a COUP!!! sorry, i pretty much ended the argument with this:

owenshooter wrote:one more thing... i find it amusing that we know the history of this button... we know how it ended... we know they buried it deep with promises and oaths to never bring it back, to never let it see the light of day... this knowledge was passed on from owner to owner... the corpse was out behind the CC shed, buried deep, but obviously not deep enough... and despite the history of the button, the anecdotal and empirical evidence, people still want to bring this back... it was abused. period. it will be abused again. period. leave it buried behind the shed. the black jesus has spoken...-Jésus noir

and as Serbia says, "unicorns"... wait, i meant, "listen to the black jesus, people." yeah, that is what he said that i liked!! that! right! there! the black jesus has spoken...-Jésus noir
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby mrswdk on Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:01 am

About 38%.
Lieutenant mrswdk

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions