Conquer Club

[NCC4] ATL (21) v RA (20) of 41 - Final 10/8

Finished challenges between two competitive clans.

Moderator: Clan Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [NCC4] ATL (20) v RA (20) of 41

Postby Gustaf Wasa on Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:15 am

That is an interesting story, Stotzi! It must have been tough for Violet to build up the clan again from scratch. How do you go about gathering good members?

Would be interesting to see you fight WAR in a clan war, heh.
I know Jano very good, he is not only a personal friend of mine, but also the godfather of my daughter.

Hey, that's nice! Good when friends can play games together. I tried to make a friend join CC, but it seems you have to have a certain talent to be good at this. He is very intelligent, but still makes bad moves in Risk. Maybe he could get better with practice, but there are so many fine points to learn to be truly great.

Yes, it is not unusual to be a guild leader in other games and have the same function in a new game, I think. But nowadays I can't be bothered with other online games for any longer period of time, except for one, Shaiya, that I play only one hour every Saturday to help out in the Guild Ranking Battle. For some reason I have grown tired of MMOs. Strategy is more fun.

I am sorry to hear about the negative ranking given to you, that was uncalled for. Which reminded me to go and rank you all right now in the Germany map - only good ranking. Perhaps for a game meant to smooth things over and maybe have Bogan reevaluate his rating, you should ask the clan leader instead. I have no part in that, and I don't know if I could put my heart into such a game, since I wouldn't mind seeing you win it.
General Gustaf Wasa

Postby Gustaf Wasa on Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:17 am

Janomike! You shouldn't quote a lady's jokes meant only to amuse our esteemed opponents in that game. People might think the joke looks unladylike. I have a good mind to defend the lady's honor on the field of battle.
General Gustaf Wasa

Postby Janomike on Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:57 am

Just thought this is funny enough to amuse other people as well! I love such dialogues!!!
Was great playing this germany games against you although your luck was not the best indeed.
Click image to enlarge.
Brigadier Janomike

Postby VioIet on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:42 pm

Wow stotzi! I'm impressed that you were able to remember so much of the story!

However, I will clarify a few things:

Falkomagno and I are the last two original members still in RA. When the RA/War split occurred there were 8 original members left:
jsnyder, gabriel, shm, answa, falko, vaz, roks, Violet

Also two more players, who weren't original players, but had been in RA for awhile:
mrpipes, stevenshome, elmerfudd

When the others left, they gave no notice, so we were all shocked. It would of been much more tactful if they had said, "Hey we are thinking about leaving and forming and new clan and here is why..........."

I just literally logged onto CC one day, and saw they were gone. These were people that I had played with for two years and considered to be friends. Never did I think they would just up and leave like that. Especially being that half of those members, I had recruited myself, so I'd think they'd have a better sense of loyalty, or at least the decency to say something to me. Well, at the time, it surprised me. In retrospect, it doesn't. It's kind of ironic how many players I recruited that ended up in War. Good thing for me though, was that I was even better at recruiting the second time around ;)

So on with the story- of course, we are all shocked and angry in for forums. The reactions amongst the remaining members varied. I found stevenshome's reaction to be the most humorous.

He basically says to me, "Yeah, how dare they do that. Yeah that is too bad. Well, you know, I think I'm just going to leave clan life for now and go back to playing my singles and standard games. I want to enjoy some time being clanless."

I say something like, "While I am sorry to see you go; you are a great player; but I understand. Best of luck to you! Maybe reconsider some day."

Not even five minutes later, he messages sdh and says, "can I join War?"

Next thing you know, he's in, and I'm like, "You really think that I wouldn't have found out?"
To be honest, I didn't get that mad. I just laughed at his attempt to be sneaky.

Vaz and roks also quickly left to try to join war. Once I found out, I immediately dropped both of them.

Some other interesting stories happening around the time:
Keefie had left RA about two weeks before this all happened, which was probably good timing on his part. He went on to start HH, and the rest was history.

GeneralRisk told me that he would join RA after his recruitment process. So then I go to add him, and to my surprise- I see that he is in The Pack, which had just started around that time.
I go back to him and he's like, "Oh, I can't be in two clans." Yeah right, like he didn't know :roll: He should've just been honest and said, "I decided to join The Pack instead." I completely understood, as Pack was a MUCH better clan at the time. They might still be.

RedArmy left shortly after Keefie and remains clanless to this day.I assumed she left because Keefie did, but I was surprised that she never joined HH.

Jsnyder, who I have nothing but the highest respect for, was also shocked and angry. He refused to join WAR, but decided to join ID. I have a lot of respect for ID, and many friends in that clan. I wish him all the best! He's one of the few that truly left RA on very good terms.

Anyway, after the above left, I had the following members left:
gabriel, shm, answa, falko, mrpipes, lildanbassman, judahslion, Violet

This was only 8, and not enough to keep RA open. We all had a thoughtful discussion of whether or not we should disband. The other 7 said, "Vio, you are our sole leader now and we look to you to rebuild us." I was pretty much moved to tears by that comment. I told them I was up for the job and together, we would rebuild RA to a clan better than ever before.

I sent a desperate message to fuzzy316 and imstillurdaddy. I had been playing team games with them for awhile, and knew they were interested in a clan. They were lifesavers at the time, and agreed to join RA. I now had 10, so no danger of closing.

I then started the Attacker's Academy. I had wanted to do that for a long time, but sdh and gradybridges were not supportive of it. Now that they were gone, I had the full power to make all the changes that I knew needed to happen with RA.

In the meantime, I frequented LiveChat, and told everybody, and their mommas, cousins, etc. the story, and many volunteered to help me. IcePack was a great mentor. Members from KORT and ID offered to either be teachers, or just assist me with games, scrimmages and events in the academy. Now since when do members of one clan help to rebuild another clan? This was pretty much unheard of and completely selfless of them. I had people during my CC career who have either helped me learn how to play teamgames, certain maps, given me general advice or clan advice. I am extremely grateful for this, as it helped to make my CC experience SO much better!

Many thanks to Bruceswar, josko, Merch313, janeaustin, rodion, MudPuppy, phastscotty, ebconqueror, namlian, dazerazer, masterchief, and I'm sure I've left some off the list. Oh, I can't forget ViperOverLord. He was a fantastic help!

GallantPelham and even Bogan (cough cough) were actually great mentors to me and RA in our very very early days. They were extremely helpful, I will always give them credit for that. I can elaborate more on that later.

So basically, I had a lot of support, motivation, recruiting, timing, and of course, lots of luck.

Unfortunately, gabriel, shm, answa, elmerfudd didn't make it through the Academy. As I stated before, I am actually pretty tough to play under, and not everyone can handle that. I am not just tough concerning play skill, but with behavior as well.

Mrpipes completely went MIA on us. I was very fond of him, and I hope he returns to CC and RA someday. Peanutman is another great member who went MIA earlier this year.

lildanbassman and judahslion had to leave due to real life issues.

That leaves me and falko as the only two original members now. Everyone else was recruited through our Academy and the rebuilding phase. Some have even joined us within the last few weeks/months.

As stotzi already mentioned- Janomike was the KEY recruitment. Through him, a lot of things fell into place. He recruited people, I recruited people and then our recruits started recruiting people and so on.

In the old RA, I was always trying to recruit, but many didn't beleive in us and left. The second time around, I had MUCH better luck with recruting. Our players were loyal, faithful and determined to stick around and see RA succeed.

Hopefully now, after putting both stozi and my stories together, you all can get a better sense of RA's history.

I could actually go on and on, but this post is already so long. I can elaborate more in another post, if more are interested in learning how RA was rebuilt. Sorry for the long post. I can be quite chatty when talking about a subject that I enjoy, such as RA :D
Bruceswar: I have big news coming out soonish
Violet: oh, what big news?
Bruceswar: I am leaving KORT to go to RA

Private 1st Class VioIet

Postby Gustaf Wasa on Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:26 pm

Wow, that is quite a story! Really bad style of those guys to leave without a word. They should have said that they wanted to leave before they did it. Especially those who you had recruited. And even worse style by stevenshome to pretend to go clanless, then apply to WAR. And Vaz, roks, GeneralRisk - people should play straight. Seriously.

Great that you got help from KORT and ID and the rest. Yes, it is unusual that one clan would help another to rebuild. How does the Attacker's Academy work? Do you let people play team games with a veteran who decides when they will be allowed to join? I suppose that is a way to make sure that those who do join eventually take the clan seriously. Drive-by joinings only weigh down a clan.
General Gustaf Wasa

Postby VioIet on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:01 pm

Gustaf Wasa wrote:Yes, it is unusual that one clan would help another to rebuild. How does the Attacker's Academy work? Do you let people play team games with a veteran who decides when they will be allowed to join? I suppose that is a way to make sure that those who do join eventually take the clan seriously. Drive-by joinings only weigh down a clan.

Your last statement is so true! That had been my biggest frustration in the old RA and in the early days of the new RA. Even in the old RA, we actually got our hands on some pretty good players, but retention was just terrible. In the last year of RA, I was constantly recruiting, and 75% of those players would eventually leave a few weeks later. I think it was a combination of bad luck, and the clan not being as organized or as communicative as it should've been. I tried to be organized, but we had three, and soon four different co-leaders who all seemed to have too many ideas. A classic case of "too many cooks spoil the broth."

Also, our players just had too much of a different style, which affected the unity.

But the player retention, or lack of it, really frustrated me. People often don't understand the preparation and planning that goes into adding and keeping a player in the clan. I need to figure our their play-style, communication- style, maps that play best with, and teammates that they play best with. This takes time, experimentation, research and planning. When a player leaves, all those statistics and hours of work are thrown a way. All those teams with that player have to be scratched and new ones made.

Players don't always see or understand that, which is why I think some may say, "Hey I'm going to leave the clan now. Bye." Of course, it's a players right to join or leave a clan when they want to, but it's always best to give sufficient notice, and at the very least, finish up any wars that are currently on-going.

Not only do drive-by players completely waste my time, but they also have a negative effect on the clan morale. I think that is one of many reasons that may have led to the RA/WAR split.

There is always a degree of risk/luck when adding someone new to your roster. But as a leader, I always hope they are there for the long-haul.

With the new RA, I've just been so much luckier in that fact that 90% of the players that I've recruited have stayed with it. That makes a HUGE difference. I think a large part is because we are a well-organized, happy, fun and communicative clan. Also, I am upfront with our style and a lot is learned through the recruitment process. It's not just- is the player good, but do they play well with us? Do they chat well with us? How do I like their personality? Are they a good Conquer Club citizen? How much time do they spend on this site and how devoted are they to their games?

Also, our players have similar personalities, which is a HUGE plus. I really think personality, thinking style, and behavior help a ton in clan chemistry. My players, even if they don't always agree with me 100% of the time, they still understand and support me. When we all communicate via wall, pm, game chat, everything is smooth and well-understood. That wasn't always the case in the old RA.

So before I get too chatty (easy for me to do) let me get to our Academy. My players are very good at putting up with my emotionalness (is that even a word?) and my chattiness. That, in fact, is an essential requirement to joining RA :P

So as for as the Attacker's Academy: My volunteer teachers pretty much run the Academy. Well, I am the overall overseer of course, and maIke sure everything is running how it should be. Basically, I appoint teachers and assign students to them. Sometimes the teachers can change with each phase. I have a set group of student recruits for each phase. Let's say I have nine students and 3 teachers. Each teacher will get three students. The teacher first sets up quad games and invites his/her students. Next, the teacher creates a thread in the forum with the Map, game number and students involved. Once the game starts, the students have to post all their ideas in the forum thread. They may write in game chat as well, but they must then copy/paste it to the proper forum thread. Other students can also comment. Then the teacher comes in- responds to the students comments and then post what he would like the student to do and why. The student cannot play their turn unless the teacher comments (only exception is if they would otherwise miss turn, but this should be rare). Our teachers were great at commenting on time. Then, after the student takes their turn, the teacher provides post-turn analysis. Sometimes the teacher would even ask the student, "what do you think our opponent will due now on this turn?" It was fun to see if their prediction ended up being correct or not.

This was done for the entire game, or basically to the point where the game was going to be won or lost so inevitably that comments were no longer necessary. The teacher had the final say on this, of course. Until the teacher stated otherwise, the students had to comments for each and every turn.

Little did my recruits know- this was my weeding tactic :twisted:
Kick out the ones who didn't want to do it, got lazy, slacked off, or made suggestions that made me either, shake my head, stop breathing, or bang my head against the wall (if they didn't quickly improve).

I received several:
"Why all this micro-management"?
"We have to do all this"?
"This is boring."
"I'm not doing that."
"It's been two weeks now. Do I have to keep doing it through the rest of the game?"

Some would do it with good faith in the beginning, but eventually slacked off, or just couldn't keep it up. Needless to say all of those recruits did not make it through the Academy, and as a result, either did not join or were kicked out of RA.

But lo, and behold, I received some comments such as:

"In this academy, we'll learn how to care about giving more than taking. We'll learn how a clan-mate should be helped to improve, not left behind."

"This is such a great opportunity to really get to know one another and have fun playing together. If we graduate, we become clanmates and nice to know the folks you will be warring with and how they play."

"I have really learned so much from this and improved my gameplay. Thank you so much to our teachers, helping us better ourselves as players."

The players who made those comments and similar ones like that, happily did all that was expected of them in the Academy. Many even went above and beyond. They graduated, developed into fine players, joined RA and are still in RA to this day ;)

We have not started the second phase yet, because we are warring too much to do it now. Once we have a few months hiatus from wars, we may start some training in the Academy again. I will likely appoint stotzi, Jano, tamaynet, and some other attackers to serve as teachers to our recruits. Scipio and DD may also be willing.

For our first phase, ID members and KORT members volunteered as teachers. This was rare, and they were aware that they were helping to rebuild another clan. But they basically did it out of the goodness of their heart, feeling sorry for us after the RA/WAR split. The irony is, I think the bad way in which the WAR members left was actually a blessing in disguise to RA. We had sympathy, help and support from many. If the WAR members had left on good terms, we might have not had such supported and may have collectively decided to disband and join other clans. But from the way they did it, I was even more motivated to keep RA going.

I think this is a prime example of greatness coming from unfortunate things. Somehow, I think arduous circumstances can often bring out our best and most determined selves ;)

Private 1st Class VioIet

Postby Gustaf Wasa on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:23 am

I have coined a new word! Drive-by joining, drive-by members.

...Not for the first time, I might add. In grade school I used the word "chilly" (Swe: "kyligt") for something that was "cool". Visiting that town two years later I found that students were still using it. But I digress.

That is very interesting reading, Violet. That is a lot of work going into that Academy. And a good way of weeding out those who won't take the time to communicate. Perhaps you should rent out seats for other clans who wish to send their students to you.

I played another game, Cyber Nations, where in the alliances new members usually had to fill out long forms in order to join. That was mostly meant as a way to weed out those who wouldn't go through the trouble. (Such as, twelve-year-olds.)

Great kudos to KORT and ID for actually helping teach new recruits in your academy. That should be remembered.

Four co-leaders? No wonder the old RA wouldn't hold together.

That is a lot of info you gather on members, sounds like hard work. Shouldn't they take care of that themselves? They could say, "I'm good at this map," and so forth, every time a new batch of maps are set up for a clan war.

I did kind of notice that your players sound the same in their style, at least the talky ones.

"Emotionalness" - you mean your pathos, mylady. Or your passionate nature, passion for the game.
General Gustaf Wasa

Postby VioIet on Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:53 pm

I do enjoy and appreciate your vocabulary. I like it when people are colorful with language :) You invented a new word, that I'm sure many never heard before; yet, instantly understood as soon as they read it. I imagine many clan-leaders may find a good use for adding "drive-by-joining" or "drive-by-members" to their vocabulary.

I am glad you enjoyed the stories, as I certainly enjoyed telling them :)

And yes, any clan that I have a good rapport with is more than welcome to use my academy for training their members. The name "Attacker's Academy" doesn't only have to apply to RA recruits but can also extend to any player on the site. I think all members who actively play games here can technically be called "Risk Attackers."

By the way, I don't know if you know the reasoning behind our name. The original members of RA all met at another online site (called Risk Attack). I played risk at the Risk Attack website for nearly a year, and made some cool friends there. Sadly, the site owner/mod/admim/whoever didn't want to run the site anymore so he/she quit. No one was there to replace him/her, and the site gradually went downhill. Once bugs arose, there were no longer any techies/admins to fix the problems. No one there to moderate behavior. Things just got really bad. Sadly, one by one, people started leaving.

Many players from the Risk Attack website came to CC. Once we reconnected here, we started our own clan. It was only fitting that we name ourselves Risk Attackers. Some creative choices were thrown around. I remember people suggesting things like:

"The Losers," (reverse psychology there)
"Little Serbian Poullets" (a diss on sekretar)
"Risky Business"
"The Fabulous Cadillacs." :lol:

While many of those suggestions were humorous indeed, most agreed that my suggestion, Risk Attackers, would fit us better.

Even when the clan split and the New RA came about, I still wanted to keep the same name. Especially, as I choice it.

Anyway, back to the point. I've always been fond of the notion/concept of "Pay It Forward." That concept is a huge deal at my school. I'm currently a grad student majoring in Special Education. I am also enrolled in a vocational program where I am dual or even triple learning how to be a braille transcriptionist for blind students, a Cart Reporter for Deaf-students, and a Court Reporter for the general legal profession.

Anyway, the founder of our program wrote a book meant specifically for disabled students. Before death, she gifted the book to one of her mentees. That student kept the book for 17 years then passed it to another student. That student used the book for four years, and then passed it to me. True story! I feel quite honored to have a book that used to belong to our very founder.

I will use the book as long as I need- probably many many years- then pass it off to a fellow student that I may be mentoring at the time, and then encourage him/her to do the same and so forth.

The reason I mentioned all that is because I like to apply that very concept to CC. I wouldn't be where I am today if it weren't for the help of others. People have either given me much needed tech advise, showed me how to better navigate the forums, introduced me to Mafia, helped me get acquainted with clan life, helped me learn strategies in team games, etc, etc, etc.

So I would really enjoy the opportunity to mentor a new member or a new clan to help them learn more about CC and better their experiences here.

Not only that, but after KORT and ID were so kind and selfless towards me, how could I not extend that same gratitude to someone in need! So yes, I would love to open my Academy to others, if needed. That may even save them from the hassle of trying to start their own Academy and so forth. Since mine is already up, all of the set-up work is already done and over with.

Anyone reading this, if you are interested in the Attacker's Academy, please shoot me a pm, and we can arrange something.

Oh, and pathos. I like that word :)

As far as "emotionalness," I seem to always be making up words that don't actually exists, but somehow I think the do and may even stubbornly insist that they are real words. You see,
I figure even if the word doesn't actually exist, most will know what I'm talking about :D And I think it's quite fun to play around with language when given the opportunity. Just like you did with "kyligt."

Also, with both of our wars combined, ATL and RA will play 101 games together. It would be 102, if it wasn't for the forfeit. I should say that after 101 games, we should all get to know each other quite well :)

So no surprise that you've begun noticing the personalities, speech-styles and maybe even play-styles of different RA members.

Private 1st Class VioIet

Postby BoganGod on Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:56 pm

stotzi wrote:I haven't been part of the clan that time, but as far as I know, the clan split (to the surprise of VioIet, who was co-leader at this time, I think - is this right, Vio?) and the clan WAR has been founded. The better players, except VioIet of course ;) , have all joined WAR...

From the "original" RA only VioIet is left (weepoleon has left our clan a short time ago). But she did not want to cancel RA, so she tried to build it up again. A crucial decision was to make Janomike join the clan, who was Major by then, I think, and impressed her by his gameplay and communication skills. I know Jano very good, he is not only a personal friend of mine, but also the godfather of my daughter. He has been a top player in many online games, was a guild/clan leader himself in other games and --> She made him a co-leader after a short time, and this was an awesome decision, too. He showed me CC, knowing my passion for strategy games, and brought also players like doublediamond or asbks to the clan.

Vio can be very emotional, even sometimes on the edge of acting professional - forgive me, Vio ;) - but she has an awesome intuition for the right decisions in the right time! With her energy she has made a wreck a F400 top 10 clan (1 yr. ranking)! Therefore every member of the clan pays her the deepest respects (I hope that was proper English ;) )!!

I thought of something: Bogan was so "nice" giving Jano and me "Cheap Tactics" in his evaluations ... So what would you think about a quadruple game on a huge maps together: You, Bogan, Jano and I. Just as a public game or vs. a mixed team of our clans as opponents. Clearly we would have to select a map, we will not have to play on in our current war ;) I suggest a big map, because I think that's what we all four like.
I have not asked Jano yet, but this would a nice positive finish in a clan war, where many un-nice things have happened or been said on both sides. Also Bogan might want to reconsider his evaluation after the game ;)

What do you think?

What can I say? I'm just a nice guy. Have already removed those ratings, was just messing with you all. If you read my wall, you will find Queen Victorious giving me a spanking for rating her all 1star + bully, irrational, bad teammate, etc (in a game we won!)

Don't worry about your english stotzi as A) a lot of the clan world is american, they don't speak or write english B) After being in clans with and playing hundreds of games with Genoke and HardAttack, your english is sublimely beautiful C) The sentiments that you express in english are well phrased and easy to understand. Unlike the afore mentioned menaces whose utterances can sometimes be taken in 5or6different ways, none of which they intended.

Happy to play a quads. Would almost say honoured, especially after I have provided such ample proof of what a poor teammate I am.

I've had an up to now secret desire to play a Hive quads, ns, trench, fog, adj. Of course if you guys are not into pain quite as much, more than willing to play any other map.
Sergeant 1st Class BoganGod

Postby BoganGod on Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:08 pm

Pathos. Speaking of pathos. Anyone read the three musketeers? Dumas was the Dan Brown of his day me thinks. Love his gift for satire and unashamed use of puns. In particular when you go back to the french, some of his naming of characters and descriptions of provincial differences and traits are just amazing. Is a skill that the french have more abundantly than the english. Asterix and Obelix cartoons are another example of very witty and obvious puns, though more attention or a different style has been used for translation.

Postby stotzi on Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:11 am

No, I haven't read them, but seen almost every film. I did not know that the book is so worthy of being read, so I will think of that when I am ready with my current literature.

I would like to play such a Hive quad with you! What's about Jano and Gustav Wasa? Would you also join us in such a quad?
Click image to enlarge.
Colonel stotzi

Postby BoganGod on Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:49 am

Send me an invite, might as well get the game up there. As will take forever to fill. Unless can convince some brave foolhardy souls to join as opponents.

I can see the thread I'll need to make in Callouts

Wanted - 4 depressive, self hating, masochistic, CC addicts. For a date with similarly minded devotees of long drawn out battles. A very high boredom threshold is strongly recommended.

Postby Gustaf Wasa on Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:51 pm

Ah, I misunderstood you earlier I think, stotzi. A quad, you say, with you and me and Jano and Bogan. For some reason I imagined it a two versus two. What map? To be ethical we shouldn't pick Atlantis, Eurasia or WWII Europe, since we are playing those against each other - there is always the risk of sharing tips. Maybe Middle Ages or Charleston, or USA 2.1. Or show me some newfangled map I don't know.

Bogan; Pathos, The Three Musketeers? Oh, you are thinking of Porthos, or a cross between Athos and Porthos.

I liked the 1993 film version with Charlie Sheen and Kiefer Sutherland. Wow, has it been twenty years already? I remember when "All for One" was playing with Brian Adams, Rod Stewart and Sting. As for the books, I read a shortened version as a kid. Good books. I used to read all the classics. I especially like Jack London's Cry of the Wild, and his The Sea-Wolf. And Golding's Lord of the Flies, which seems like a prediction of internet forums....
General Gustaf Wasa

Postby Gustaf Wasa on Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:04 pm

VioIet wrote:I do enjoy and appreciate your vocabulary. I like it when people are colorful with language :) You invented a new word, that I'm sure many never heard before; yet, instantly understood as soon as they read it. I imagine many clan-leaders may find a good use for adding "drive-by-joining" or "drive-by-members" to their vocabulary.

Quite! We should spread it around! =)

How fun that you invented the name. I invented "Atlantis" and brought the flag. Nice to have something that actually means something, instead of just an acronym. ("Atlantis" being an ancient myth, which people view positively, I figured it is a good name when you want to recruit people, instead of a name that isn't anchored in anything.) Your name also has a strong meaning, then, as a reminder of which site you come from. Good name. Even more sad then that people left the clan, if you all came from the same website.

Yes, "pay it forward". Or, "give something back". Opposite directions but the same concept. I always figure that if I join something, I should do something for that organization or guild or such, whether in real life or on the internet, as a thanks for letting me join and helping me. So that if I leave, they are better off for having had me as a member.

Really impressive studies there. Four things to study, wow. Then you will have more jobs to choose from. Too many people study things they will never have any use for, I have seen that so many times.

What a nice story about the book, hope the tradition goes on for a long time. Hey, wouldn't it be chilly if we had an eternal flame in every family, and you have to keep it going? So you would keep it on your desk, knowing that it has been going on for several generations, and eventually you will pass it on. If it goes out your parents will probably still have a version where you can re-light yours, but you still have to be careful. I should start something like that.

Incidentally, my middle name has been inherited for four generations, that is also a nice tradition.

Ah, I have played Mafia here and elsewhere. I usually get killed fast because I am active and analytical, so the hidden Mafia thugs want me out of the way. So if I stay in a game for a long time, that makes me a suspect. =)
But it takes so long to play; if you are in two or three games at the same time, it could eat up three hours per day. At some point you have to stop playing.

>Not only that, but after KORT and ID were so kind and selfless towards me, how could I not extend that same gratitude to someone in need! So yes, I would love to open my Academy to others, if needed. That may even save them from the hassle of trying to start their own Academy and so forth. Since mine is already up, all of the set-up work is already done and over with.

Well, we should set up posters. =)

Oh yes, pathos; one of those interesting things I have picked up, is Aristoteles' Pathos, Ethos and Logos. I listened to a guy once, who is an expert at speaking before an audience. He described how Pathos means beliefs based on emotions; Ethos means beliefs based on an authority you trust, such as a politician or a doctor, or maybe your favorite newspaper; Logos means beliefs based on facts. Logos should be 100 percent of your beliefs, but alas; Pathos stands for about 30 percent, Ethos stands for 60 percent, and Logos stands for 10 percent of beliefs, among most people.

"Emotionalness" sounds like Buffy-speak. You know, words that get a special funnierder meaningness through their weirdy wordage. It's a total head-scratchage if you take it to a level of oddness where the words become less sense-y.

>Just like you did with "kyligt."

Yeah, that was totally chilly of me! I also made up a new word in my line of work that people actually use, it's fun.

One hundred and one games, that's some crazy awesomeness. Incidentally, Room 101 is the room of fear in 1984. "You know what is in room 101. Everyone knows what is in room 101." Is that where our awesome playage is heading? Maybe it has some deep-meaningy thing to it. It's all falling into place. Of course, that place is nowhere near this place.

I think I'll stop with the Buffy speak now. For the moment...!
General Gustaf Wasa

Postby BoganGod on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:34 am

Gustaf Wasa wrote:Ah, I misunderstood you earlier I think, stotzi. A quad, you say, with you and me and Jano and Bogan. For some reason I imagined it a two versus two. What map? To be ethical we shouldn't pick Atlantis, Eurasia or WWII Europe, since we are playing those against each other - there is always the risk of sharing tips. Maybe Middle Ages or Charleston, or USA 2.1. Or show me some newfangled map I don't know.

Bogan; Pathos, The Three Musketeers? Oh, you are thinking of Porthos, or a cross between Athos and Porthos.

I liked the 1993 film version with Charlie Sheen and Kiefer Sutherland. Wow, has it been twenty years already? I remember when "All for One" was playing with Brian Adams, Rod Stewart and Sting. As for the books, I read a shortened version as a kid. Good books. I used to read all the classics. I especially like Jack London's Cry of the Wild, and his The Sea-Wolf. And Golding's Lord of the Flies, which seems like a prediction of internet forums....

I was attempting a "dad" joke pathos/porthos..... Epic fail. Not unexpected. Give everyone a tip, if you see the start of my joke about the talking shetland pony. Don't read any further.

1993 was a good year. Saw GnR Use your Illusions in Auckland. Got my learners drivers license.
Jack London's Call of the Wild, blast from the past. Went looking for it when I read your post. Interesting bit of trivia, like a lot of Charles Dickens novels, was serialised before being printed as a book.

Happy with any large map, though my preference would be for a non conquest map with 20+ starting territories per player.

Postby IcePack on Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:31 pm

Self Note:
Game 13053173
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Gustaf Wasa on Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:25 am

No no, I understood that you were joking, Bogan!

Let's pick a quad map made in the last two years, then. Or a beta; how about Labyrinth or Spanish Armada? Something to set our teeth in. What do you mean by "non-conquest map"?

IcePack wrote:Self Note:
Game 13053173

Yes, that game. Have a look at alster's turn (when Fuzzy makes his, it takes on average about nineteen hours), it will probably change the map a bit, finally. We have been stuck just advancing slowly every turn. Very annoying that the troops used to protect Crash's bonus in vL2 could not also be used to attack the attacker. But our opponents finally gave up attacking from E3, so we could move out a few troops.

It might have seemed like it was doomed to be slow forever, but we were building up the bonus defense while keeping our opponents' region count low, wherever they took 1s from us. Slowly advancing, playing it very safe for obvious reasons. Every time vL2 was attacked we had a bit more armies left than after the last attack, and so comes the point where we don't have to place there anymore, and can deploy everything elsewhere.

I might seem inactive on that map, having the lowest region count and troop count, but I actually talk more in chat there than anyone. It is just easier to set up a strategy when you don't demand that people place armies on yourself. =)
General Gustaf Wasa

Postby stotzi on Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:09 am

Yeah, we really could pick a map which is not familiar to us all, so that we'd have a lasting learning effect. USA 2.1 or perhaps Spanish Armada sounds very good. Jano and I played Labyrinth, but even though we won it, it was not a bit of fun - guess, it needs kind of finetuning. It looks nice, that has been the reason we played it, but that's all...

I also do not understand what "non-conquest" map means!
Click image to enlarge.
Colonel stotzi

Postby Gustaf Wasa on Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:14 am

How about Spanish Armada then, looks like a map that could be used in tournaments in the future, to make opponents give up in frustration. Or if you have some other fun and big, complicated map that I haven't played. Just not one that is used in this clan war, it would not be proper; there is always the risk and suspicion that we give away clan advice for that map.
General Gustaf Wasa

Postby stotzi on Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:14 pm

I would love to play Spanish Armada. I would set it up in the next few days, if it's ok for everybody?!
Click image to enlarge.
Colonel stotzi

Postby Gustaf Wasa on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:10 pm

stotzi wrote:I would love to play Spanish Armada. I would set it up in the next few days, if it's ok for everybody?!

Go ahead!

No cards, unlimited, preferably. Minimizes chance and maximizes cooperation. And no fog I think, when we are trying to learn the map
General Gustaf Wasa

Postby Janomike on Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:30 am

i agree and look forward to play with you guys!!!
Click image to enlarge.
Brigadier Janomike

Postby BoganGod on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:52 am

stotzi wrote:I would love to play Spanish Armada. I would set it up in the next few days, if it's ok for everybody?!

Happy to play it, however having played an 8players standard and a quad on it. Map still needs a few kinks ironed out. There is a pretty simple early elim strategy that playing against half decent opponents would almost come down to turn order+dice deciding the game. Trying to say that if both teams employed the same strategy could be more a luck rather than skill map. Invite me to a game and I'll play :)

Postby Genoke on Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:00 pm

I'm happy to be the first to Congratz my clan for the win! =D>

RA surely made every fight very hard. specially stotzi and janomike will make some name pretty soon!
If VioIet didn't miscounted RA would've won, but as we must follow the rules (VioIet likes rules O:) ) we had to remake one game which had a different outcome then before.
It's my duty to thank VioIet for this. :mrgreen:

AQoH, here we come!
My CC:
show
Brigadier Genoke

Postby BoganGod on Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:44 am

We haven't won yet! Talk about jumping the shark.

Roussallier, stotzi, and janomike. Lets have a look in our avatar scrap books shall we :)

PreviousNext

Return to Complete Challenges