Conquer Club

this is professionalish.

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

this is professionalish.

Postby pimpdave on Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:53 pm

Twill wrote:Update #3:

We're going to probably have to go back through some backups, dig out just off-topics and the lost usergroups and restore them individually.

This probably wont happen until Tuesday (it's thanksgiving weekend here in Canada and so our families seem to want to spend time with us for some odd and unknown reason), so hang tight until then, off-topics and your clan forums will be coming back as soon as we can get them there.

We've heard conflicting things from the data center - we've been variously told it's the memory controller, then the hard drive something or other and then finally "sorry if the chiller failure caused you any problems"...which is what took out the database 3 months ago.

I'll post more when I know more.

Wow. Sounds like things really went wrong, and it's not any of the administrators of Conquer Club's fault that things have gone awry.

I'm glad they've given us an update, and are doing their best to resolve the minor problems soon.

In fact, their handling of this issue is more professionalish than the US Congress. Remember when they all took a 2 day recess for a holiday when THE ENTIRE NATION WAS LOOKING LIKE IT WAS ABOUT TO IMPLODE FINANCIALLY?

None of us were given very good updates, except that, like, the Republicans took their toys and went home because one of the Democrats cited one of the possible causes for the current crisis...

So, honestly, this is one more case in which I'm genuinely impressed with the site administration and leadership. Remember everyone, this is a small, independent company, and it is awesome because of that. Perhaps such problems would be fixed faster if it was owned by a media giant, but there would be awful, much worse trade-offs. I sincerely doubt we'd receive such personal service or updates.

And of course I miss NYB. I've already had a thread locked as being "spam" that I never in a million years would have thought any reasonable person could see as such. This General Discussion board is foreign and confusing to me. There seem to be all kinds of secret and shadowy rules of which I am not thoroughly aware. I really hope we get NYB back, but all good things in the time, and hopefully the mods can cut us a bit of slack in the few days it takes for NYB to get back up and running, since, after all, it's not OUR fault that forum went down.

If we're going to be patient with site issues, I hope that the site admins can be patient with us as well.

That is all.
Last edited by pimpdave on Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jay_a2j wrote:hey if any1 would like me to make them a signature or like an avator just let me no, my sig below i did, and i also did "panther 88" so i can do something like that for u if ud like...
Sergeant 1st Class pimpdave

Re: this is professionalish.

Postby lozzini on Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:01 pm

i agree

here here to all the mods admins and lack and any other helpers along the way
Top Rank: Captain
Top Score: 1835
Top Pos: 1707
Nothing ventured... nothing gained
Sergeant 1st Class lozzini

Postby max is gr8 on Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:06 pm

I think this will be good evidence for why we shouldn't have an OT Forum, so the longer this "recovery" takes the better, it's a good job lack listened to my bribe to leave the sub-forums up.
ā€¹max is gr8ā€ŗ so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
ā€¹New_rulesā€ŗ Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby pimpdave on Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:07 pm

max is gr8 wrote:I think this will be good evidence for why we shouldn't have an OT Forum, so the longer this "recovery" takes the better, it's a good job lack listened to my bribe to leave the sub-forums up.

Bribe?

This sounds like intrigue. Please, good sir, share your tale with us!
jay_a2j wrote:hey if any1 would like me to make them a signature or like an avator just let me no, my sig below i did, and i also did "panther 88" so i can do something like that for u if ud like...

Postby Simon Viavant on Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:20 pm

:D
pimpdave wrote:I sincerely doubt we'd receive such personal service or updates.

And we wouldn't have a community manager that's fun to flame either. :D
ImageImageImage
Remember Them
Corporal Simon Viavant

Postby max is gr8 on Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:06 pm

pimpdave wrote:
max is gr8 wrote:I think this will be good evidence for why we shouldn't have an OT Forum, so the longer this "recovery" takes the better, it's a good job lack listened to my bribe to leave the sub-forums up.

Bribe?

I bet lack that there would be less spam if he deleted T(Ny)B, and he agreed, and I told him to leave mafia and forum games up
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby Frigidus on Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:15 pm

max is gr8 wrote:
pimpdave wrote:

Bribe?

I bet lack that there would be less spam if he deleted T(Ny)B, and he agreed, and I told him to leave mafia and forum games up

Not the best prediction, I've got to say.
Sergeant Frigidus

Postby black elk speaks on Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:30 pm

Ah, so this is a ploy to do away with the other forum then? Why wouldn't they just say so?
ICAN wrote: im not finishing this game ball-less wonder go find another eunich to play with.
Captain black elk speaks

Postby max is gr8 on Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:42 pm

Yeah, but he gave me odds I couldn't refuse 1:the site.

So I'm only betting one of his canadian dollars against the whole sit, he must think I'm wrong
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby black elk speaks on Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:46 pm

max is gr8 wrote:Yeah, but he gave me odds I couldn't refuse 1:the site.

So I'm only betting one of his canadian dollars against the whole sit, he must think I'm wrong

Sorry, was that an answer to my question, i so, it seems completely to have not answered shit.
ICAN wrote: im not finishing this game ball-less wonder go find another eunich to play with.
Captain black elk speaks

Postby pimpdave on Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:51 pm

Since I would much rather see Lack as the site owner than you, whatever your name is, guy who is having the bet, I will now spam the shit out of every forum I can find.

And, in doing so, fall for your clever ruse. But I won't ruin it for you. If anyone else is fooled by your hilarious joke, the spam will be immense.

Actually, on second thought, you aren't joking, you're completely right.

EVERYONE SPAM THE SHIT OUT OF THE FORUMS.

Postby Sentinel XIV on Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:10 pm

lozzini wrote:i agree

here here to all the mods admins and lack and any other helpers along the way

The term you were looking for is "Hear, hear!"
Eye. Mull. Of. Ma. Sheen.
Sergeant Sentinel XIV

Postby Pedronicus on Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:39 pm

max is gr8 wrote:Yeah, but he gave me odds I couldn't refuse 1:the site.

To all members of the nyb, allow me to introduce max is 5hit. If brains were gunpowder, this bloke couldn't blow his hat off.
If Steve Martin was a method actor, he would of spent several months living with max before making 'The Jerk'
Highest position 7th. Highest points 3311 All of my graffiti can be found here
Major Pedronicus

Postby hecter on Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:49 pm

You shouldn't make fun of disabled kids like that.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby pimpdave on Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:57 pm

hecter wrote:You shouldn't make fun of disabled kids like that.

If they deserve it he should.

Postby hecter on Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:07 pm

pimpdave wrote:
hecter wrote:You shouldn't make fun of disabled kids like that.

If they deserve it he should.

I know, I wasn't actually being serious.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby b.k. barunt on Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:46 pm

I love making fun of disabled kids.

Honibaz
Cook b.k. barunt

Postby Juan_Bottom on Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:25 pm

"Professionalish" is a good word. I don't see this as being "professional." We knew this was coming, because appearantly this happens every three months. But Lack left anyway, and then sent us a memo saying, "chill, I'll back in later." It's nice to have an update, but meh.
For comparison, that's like if the base commander at Pearl Harbor knew that the Japs were coming and went on vacation anyway that week.

Myself, I don't know much about the Internet, our servers, or anyone's servers. But I don't understand why we have to tolerate ours doing this every 3 months... especially on a rental. Is there no one who can provide better service?

This has been quite revealing to me about how CC is governed though. It really shows how important Lack is to this site. I always though Twill could handle anything, but he just had to ask first....
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby hecter on Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:28 pm

lack didn't know it was going to happen... The whole three months thing would have been a coincidence. It SHOULDN'T happen at all. And ya he left, guys gotta see his family, y'know...
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby Juan_Bottom on Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:32 pm

I'm not saying he knew that the forums would disappear. But he knew that something could happen. There were "blips" last time too.
And appearantly there's no one else who can fix it.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby pimpdave on Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:37 pm

Oh come on. This was supposed to be the thread in which we all express gratitude for a job well done.

If anyone feels the need to complain, go to the "this is amateurish" thread.

Of course, I know that'll make this thread fall in popularity, and so I'm conflicted even making this post because of my vainglorious desire to make threads that go for many pages and succeed in generating quality user created content.

But honestly, I think this is a minor issue, and given how consistently the site runs smoothly and generally how quickly problems are dealt with, leaving a problem with one of the peripherals of the site function until after vacation is not only completely reasonable, it should be fucking expected.

I have to wonder how many people here who are complaining about the problem with the forums have jobs... Think of it in terms of that. If you were ill or on vacation, and some minor problem that doesn't threaten the function of the entire company crops up, wouldn't you appreciate getting to put off dealing with it until AFTER you get back?

Postby hecter on Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:47 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:But he knew that something could happen.

How could he possibly know? It's completely out of his control. I mean, something could happen every second of every day. Why, right now, an anvil could fall on your head and kill you.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby Frigidus on Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:39 pm

hecter wrote:

How could he possibly know? It's completely out of his control. I mean, something could happen every second of every day. Why, right now, an anvil could fall on your head and kill you.

If television has taught me anything, it's that falling anvils don't kill you, they just turn you into an accordion.
Sergeant Frigidus

Postby pimpdave on Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:07 pm

Frigidus wrote:
hecter wrote:

If television has taught me anything, it's that falling anvils don't kill you, they just turn you into an accordion.

And/or drive you into the pavement like a nail into wood.

Postby Night Strike on Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:13 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:I'm not saying he knew that the forums would disappear. But he knew that something could happen. There were "blips" last time too.
And appearantly there's no one else who can fix it.

I think the sarcasm went right past Juan. It was a coincidence that it happened exactly 3 months after the last downtime, so Twill used that opportunity to jab at the providers. It's not like they knew it was going to happen again. I'm too lazy to dig up the quote, but I believe after last time lack had said that things like it shouldn't happen again.
Major Night Strike

Next

Return to Conquer Club Discussion