Conquer Club

Conquer club is not what it was or should be...

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Conquer club is not what it was or should be...

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:30 pm

.SCuD. wrote:It is confusing because it is out of place. People look at it assumuing that as it is an announcement, it has something to do with the site on the whole. They then leave not understanding how it may have something to do with them, and wondering if they missed something.

If it were positioned in it's rightful place (for example, as one of many posts in the clans thread) it would not confuse anyone.

I'd like to address the second point first, and then work back to the first point.

There's a reason why some Clan-related announcements are not confined to the Clan fora and some Tournament-related events are not confined to the tournament fora, etc. They are trying to appeal to a wider audience. Only a tiny percentage of Clan or Tournament events are given Announcements, because it is hoped they will attract a different crowd than those who are strictly Clan groupies or Tournie groupies. Ditto for map Announcements, etc.

There are maybe 60 people on the site who are hard-core Clan enthusiasts and maybe 100 who are serious tourney players. And yet, we try to expand those groups, with greater or lesser success from time to time. That is why we make announcements. Unfortunately, you're right: the announcements are not always well written. That's life with an all-volunteer operation. You get what you pay for, and when you don't pay anything, you take potluck.

Back to the first point. If you mouse over the announcements, they tell you which department it pertains to. The announcements are also colour-coded. Pale Blue is a Clan-related Announcement, Dark Blue is a Map Announcement, Gold is Tournaments, Pink is Events (meaning entertaining events, not related to serious gameplay), etc. It's not much information, but it's better than nothing, especially the mouse-over part. I would like the forum software to adjust the backgrounds of these announcements accordingly, but so far there is no functionality for background colour in the forum.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Kotaro on Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:55 pm

.SCuD. wrote:It is confusing because it is out of place. People look at it assumuing that as it is an announcement, it has something to do with the site on the whole. They then leave not understanding how it may have something to do with them, and wondering if they missed something.

If it were positioned in it's rightful place (for example, as one of many posts in the clans thread) it would not confuse anyone.

Ah, I see you're using the term 'confusing' as you don't like where an announcement is positioned, not that the content is confusing. Clearly a bit of a definition of words confusion there, my apologies for reacting like you were using that word in a different way.

Since the TPA is in fact a series of tournaments that are available to the whole site, not just the people that decide to visit tournament forums, I don't understand how that should be confined to only that section. And while the DBD vs VNM clan war is a closed, group event, the signature challenge allows for people to win a trophy, as well as credits, if they put forth effort and win. Should the prizes only be available to the subset of members that visit the clan forums?

Personally, if there was a way for me to win credits and someone buried it in a forum that I didn't visit, I'd be quite annoyed, since credits can be turned to premium membership and save me money. But I suppose if you don't care about money, yes, that announcement doesn't apply to you and you can carry on.
Lakad Matataaag!
Normalin, normalin.

TheJonah wrote:I`m not really that arsed. Just supporting my mucker.
Captain Kotaro

Postby .SCuD. on Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:04 am

Dukasaur wrote:There's a reason why some Clan-related announcements are not confined to the Clan fora and some Tournament-related events are not confined to the tournament fora, etc. They are trying to appeal to a wider audience.

I agree that is a good idea, as long as the announcements are interesting to the community. News detailing how a particular clan/tribe/individual has won a major events, for example. The conclusion of a major tournament should have site wide appeal and engage more people in the idea of whatever it is that just concluded. (Pariticularly if that news article also gave a small snippet at the bottom reminding people how to get involved next time.
And of course announcments relating to major tournaments that are about to take sign ups should always be included.

Dukasaur wrote:Unfortunately, you're right: the announcements are not always well written. That's life with an all-volunteer operation. You get what you pay for, and when you don't pay anything, you take potluck.

Agreed, we can't expect production quality writing all the time, but if people are given the privilege of being able to release an announcement they should make an effort to ensure their piece is well written and in a style that is accessible to the wider community, otherwise it serves the opposite purpose of making "outsiders" feel like the whole thing is inaccessible and drives them further away.
It would a good idea to have someone monitoring announcements more closely, and proofreading them before they go live.
(I've put that in bold simply because it seems like the most pivotal part of my reply, and it is likely to get lost)

Dukasaur wrote:Back to the first point. If you mouse over the announcements, they tell you which department it pertains to. The announcements are also colour-coded

I don't think any of that helps tbh. I have been here for over 2 years now and I didn't know that. So if I don't, I'm sure most other people don't either. I don't think it matters though as it's normally fairly obvious when you read it.
Most importantly though if the content is poor or not of interest to the wider community then it doesn't really matter what section it should be in.
Last edited by .SCuD. on Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best position - >>>> over there >>>>
Current position - here
Colonel .SCuD.

Postby .SCuD. on Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:27 am

Kotaro wrote:Since the TPA is in fact a series of tournaments that are available to the whole site, not just the people that decide to visit tournament forums, I don't understand how that should be confined to only that section.

I didn't say that it should be confined to the tournaments section. It certainly should not as it is a major event (I think?). But it should be explained well.

Kotaro wrote: And while the DBD vs VNM clan war is a closed, group event, the signature challenge allows for people to win a trophy, as well as credits, if they put forth effort and win. Should the prizes only be available to the subset of members that visit the clan forums?

Questionable. I certainly don't think every event that has credits as a prize should be listed as an announcement, no. Some signature competitions, maybe? But certainly not those that are tied to an event that is only of interest to the two participating clans.
You can see just from the replies how badly it has flopped, less than 10 replies in total, and most of those are from people in those clans. Only THREE replies from people who are not in those clans.
Current position - here
Colonel .SCuD.

Postby Razorvich on Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:29 am

Its an announcement because there is a prize for the winner... sorry for giving a little excitement for people that can earn free credits.

And sorry you don't have the balls or the talent to enter.

And sorry that you pissed me off just now.

And sorry that if it wasn't for a stupid reported post in this thread that I would have missed your deluded dribble.

Sorry... rant over

.SCuD. wrote:
Kotaro wrote:Is that what draws you to challenge threads? Despite being apart of one of those clans, I read these two parts:

This yearly battle between our two Clans continues.
LAST YEAR.. Death by Dice won by 1 game :shock:

THIS year, Keefie wants revenge, and we have both agreed to a Signature Bet.

The LOSER has agreed to wear a SIGNATURE for 30 DAYS

And that pretty much summed it up for me. Yes, the announcement title did not sum up the entire thread, but it's a title, it's not supposed to. I sincerely doubt anyone new would click on that and be as confused as you're claiming.

It is confusing because it is out of place. People look at it assumuing that as it is an announcement, it has something to do with the site on the whole. They then leave not understanding how it may have something to do with them, and wondering if they missed something.

These are also just the most obvious things as they are currently listed as announcements. There are plenty more. I read something about "Token Tournaments" recently... and what the eff is going on there? If you read what it's about it looks like it is something that just petered out and died last year, but then there are still things going on? It just all looks like garbage. I honestly have no idea if Token tournaments are still a thing.
High Score: 2569
TeeGee has my PW... Wall him if I get below 1 Hour in CLAN GAMES ONLY !!
Sergeant 1st Class Razorvich
Head Chatter
Head Chatter

Postby .SCuD. on Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:42 am

I'm not going to apologise for highlighting something you posted as an announcement as an example of improper use of announcements that actually serve to remove excitement. cause confusion and far from increasing participation actually deter new members from getting involved. You have taken offense to it, but that's your problem, no one else's. If you can't handle criticism then perhaps you shouldn't be posting announcements?

When I posted this there had been THREE responses from people who are not in one of the two clans (out of less than 10 responses in total), and only TWO of those were actual entries. As I write this, no one new has replied, so claiming that you have given any excitement to CC under such obvious evidence that it was a massive flop is not going to do you any favours. Either take it on the chin and do better... or quit.

Take a look at how Tin Trumpet responded to criticism of his post. He went back and looked at it, and made it much much better. That is an example of someone who genuinely wants to do better for CC. Be more like Tin Trumpet.

show
Last edited by .SCuD. on Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current position - here
Colonel .SCuD.

Postby mrswdk on Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:39 am

.SCuD. wrote:You have taken offense to it, but that's your problem, no one else's.

Comment seems in keeping with your contributions in the Jamaica thread. Do you actually believe the things you say or do you just visit these threads to be abrasive?
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby .SCuD. on Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:46 am

mrswdk wrote:
.SCuD. wrote:You have taken offense to it, but that's your problem, no one else's.

Comment seems in keeping with your contributions in the Jamaica thread. Do you actually believe the things you say or do you just visit these threads to be abrasive?

It seems to me that you came to this thread to troll and cause a bit of drama. I'll reply to this, but I think I will tire of your intellectually dishonest attitudes quite quickly. You, as a person, won't be getting much time in my mental space.

Yes, I believe the things I say, I am intellectually very honest. This intellectual approach will be quite alien to you, I don't expect you to understand it. I'm willing to try to word things in a way that is reasonably polite most of the time*. I'm not willing to do that at the cost of accuracy and precision. Truth will always come first. If someone else wants to have an emotional outburst because of that, that's up to them, I'm not interested. If they want to have a calm and productive conversation though, I'm in.

Note:* Sometimes, perhaps for humour value, I will make a thinly veiled impolite comment on someone's character. I'm okay with that, it amuses me. It's rare because most people don't deserve such scathing remarks, but there are certain people who have shown themselves to deserve no better. I feel quite justified in having fun with them. A better person than I would not enjoy it so much, I am sure, but hey, we all have our foibles :)
Current position - here
Colonel .SCuD.

Postby mrswdk on Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:08 pm

I came to this thread to give my opinion. The only way CC could move forward is by joining the world of phone apps, but that ship has sailed so the only other card CC can play is trying to hold on to the users/types of user it already has. Hence pandering to the clan types.

I am not sure you were being intellectually honest when you followed me from thread to thread screeching that I'm an antisemite but okay.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby .SCuD. on Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:01 pm

I didn't follow you. As anyone with eyes can see, I was already posting in this thread and suddenly you appeared accusing me of following you. A bizarre claim at best.

But yes, you are unapologetically anti-semitic in your behaviour. I find you to be an appalling human being. I wouldn't let that concern you though, move on.

I'm not going to get drawn in to more of your bollocks. I suspect this will be my last response to you for a while, I don't see much productivity in allowing your presence to lower the tone.
Current position - here
Colonel .SCuD.

Postby mrswdk on Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:28 am

Repeats his lie about me being an antisemite, simultaneously tries to gaslight everyone into thinking he's being the 'bigger man'.

My posts in this thread have been on topic save for being sucked in to responding to you, can't say the same about yours.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Kotaro on Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:42 am

Can you both stop? This was a thread about things that might improve this site and retain membership; not a thread for Scud to cry about decisions that aren't his to make, or mrswdk to cry about other threads and the people he feels have wronged him. You've both added nothing productive to this thread.
Lakad Matataaag!
Normalin, normalin.

TheJonah wrote:I`m not really that arsed. Just supporting my mucker.
Captain Kotaro

Postby .SCuD. on Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:08 am

Kotaro wrote:Can you both stop? This was a thread about things that might improve this site and retain membership; not a thread for Scud to cry about decisions that aren't his to make, or mrswdk to cry about other threads and the people he feels have wronged him. You've both added nothing productive to this thread.

Um, what? You ask two people to stop whilst simultaneously doing exactly what you are asking them not to do? An interesting approach,
I had already said I'm not interested in responding to mrswdk again... if anything it seems like you are just trying to throw more fuel on the fire, Kotaro?

A minor note: You suggest I have "cried" about a decision that isn't mine to make. I have literally no idea what you are talking about. Stop making things up.

It seems like you are just another troll... and a troll who happens to be part of "Mr pissed off" Ravorvich's clan. Coincidence? I think not.

Edit: just noticed that Kotaro “has previous” for personal attacks getting threads locked down. Troll status confirmed. Don’t make the mistake I did. Don’t feed them, people.
Current position - here
Colonel .SCuD.

Postby TeeGee on Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:51 am

I think this thread has outlived its usefulness

Kotaro wrote:TG for site owner 2020
Field Marshal TeeGee

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

Previous

Return to Conquer Club Discussion