Conquer Club

The rules of autoturnaments

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

The rules of autoturnaments

Postby Zemljanin on Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:12 pm

I'll start with rhetorical question:

Are there a place where we can read the rules of autoturnaments in full detail?

I firmly believe that the answer is negative, while I would very much like it to be affirmative...

I don't know how to make a classification... There are Standard, Classic, Masters... Elimination sometimes goes after first round, sometimes after second round, sometimes after third round... Sometimes is half of players eliminated, sometimes third, sometimes quarter...

Tournaments with multiplayer games
I am currently playing some tournaments with 4 players games and some with 6 players games. In all of them, I am assuming, various places bring various number of points and after the round (or series of rounds) a certain number of players with least points is getting eliminated.
But guessing this isn't enough. I need to know in detail. How can I get the information needed?

Tournaments with two players games
That should be easy, but it isn't. My favorite type of tourney is Map Masters.
After first two rounds, half of players with most wins qualify for the third round (if two or more players have the same number of wins, decides the number of moves spent).

But listen a specific example (a bit of whining :)):
- In the first round I had a computer issue. For several moves, I combined two unqualified sitters with my playing on the phone (where I could easily make a fatal misclick). So I played only elementary moves. I somehow managed to win 2:1, but both my victories were too long, so everyone who has the same number of wins easily beats me...
- In the second round I am getting the most dangerous opponent and he gets the first move in all games. And he drops a continent bonus in one game!
Somehow I won one game and just barely, passed to next round
- The third round brings score reset, but are the points reset before or after the games?
I won 2:1, what I thought was quarterfinal match. But was it?
Eight players who were eliminated before third round have status 'eliminated'. Remaining eight players have status 'active', even those players who have lost "the quarterfinal match".
Three players are definitely above me, three players are definitely below me. If the eighth player loses 0:3, I am in definitely in the semifinals. If he loses only 1:2, he might play instead of me...

If the third round is quarterfinal, why are the losers still active?
If, after three rounds, a number of wins decides, why am I (with 5/9) above a player who has 6/6?

What is going on? How can I get the answers?
The lowest rank: Question Mark
The lowest score: 1000
The lowest place on the scoreboard: don't remember
Captain Zemljanin

Re: The rules of autoturnaments

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:27 pm

https://www.conquerclub.com/public.php? ... urnaments5

Once you know all the parameters, it becomes easier to read the descriptions.

Basically, the score reset happens in the third round, which means it adds up the first two rounds before the reset. It would help if you posted the name of the tournament, so we don't need to guess.

If it says Score Resets, that means the score resets before the round.

Let's look at this tournament for example:
https://www.conquerclub.com/player.php? ... nt_id=9493

You have a score of 2 in round 3. That means in round 3 you won 2 games. The score from your earlier games has been reset. Now, it works like a proper bracket in that every round the score resets. Players who lost will remain "active" until the next round (since eliminations happen at the end of the round).

The first 2 rounds had no eliminations and no score resets. So your score of 3/6 is better than all 8 players who were eliminated.

If you want to know who is eliminated, when you look at the tournament page, it tells you how many "move on". Then you subtract how many were eliminated.

I think that should answer all your questions. Let me know if you have any more.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby Zemljanin on Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:13 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:I think that should answer all your questions. Let me know if you have any more.

OK, my question about 2_players games is answered, though somewhat indirectly. Thank you for your effort.
Basically you say:
Since I have 2 points in 3rd round, I am above anyone who has 1 point in the same round; even if - in all three rounds together - some of them have greater sum of points than I do.
If so, I'm satisfied.

However, I'm afraid I learned nothing about tournaments with multiplayer games...

For example, I am playing High Rankers Classic

In the first round I started five 6_players games. After all games are finished, the best 18 players (out of 32) are qualified, the rest is eliminated. So the system will rank us, of course, according to our results in these five games. But HOW?????
I guess, there are some points... First place in a game brings a points, second place brings b points, third place brings c points, etc. What I asked for, was that formula.

I am assuming the same formula applies in all autotournaments with 6 players games, but maybe it doesn't?

I also play Flat Rate Classic, with 4_players games. That must be another formula. Where can I find it?
Captain Zemljanin

Postby Swifte on Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:44 pm

In any auto tournament I've seen, 1 win is 1 point towards your Score, all other finish positions don't matter. As per the page DoomYoshi linked, ties in Score shall be broken by the following rules, applied in order:

Percentage of wins in the tournament as a whole
The cumulative number of Game rounds required to win the games they have won in the tournament (since the last point reset, or the start of the tournament if no point reset has occurred). Note: winning in less rounds is better.
The order in which the player joined the tournament (first player to join wins)
Colonel Swifte

Postby Zemljanin on Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:17 pm

So whether I finish on 2nd or 6th place is totally irrelevant???
Captain Zemljanin

Postby Swifte on Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:25 pm

Zemljanin wrote:So whether I finish on 2nd or 6th place is totally irrelevant???

Yep. You may find some user run tournaments would care, but for simplicity the auto tournament system only cares about wins.
Colonel Swifte

Return to Conquer Club Discussion