Conquer Club

Tips to avoid poor players

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Tips to avoid poor players

Postby Skinty on Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:49 am

Hi all! First off, this isn't a moan I'm just looking for tips on how I might be able to enhance my CC experience.

I've gotten in to a pattern of playing 6 player standard classic games as that's what I enjoy and I find, in general, with more players randomness is reduced when compared to say 2, 3 or even 4 player games.

What I am trying to avoid is games with people, sometimes new players but also experienced players, with low ranking who make daft decisions and, frankly, don't understand how to win games. I don't mind that someone makes a move that tactically makes me weaker...fair enough...but I get so sick of seeing poor players attack my stack and in doing so largely just prevent THEMSELVES winning the game, as well as me. Instead I'd prefer to play with skilled players and not have to just hope that some dumbass doesn't take us both out the game.

So...I have not found any way to really achieve this. Start my own game and it gets filled with cooks. Join another game...ok, maybe find one well populated, but generally it will then get filled with cooks and privates. Just to add - even in the short time I've been here there seems fewer and fewer of the game type I want to play so hard to find games.

Any advice? :idea:
Major Skinty

Re: Tips to avoid poor players

Postby jusplay4fun on Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:20 am

Inexperienced players tend to play the Classic map; it is familiar and few surprises.

I suggest that you find a new favorite map.

One other "long-shot" Idea: I played Risk on another website that limited who (based on Rank) could join your game. I doubt that would happen here.

Skinty wrote:Hi all! First off, this isn't a moan I'm just looking for tips on how I might be able to enhance my CC experience.

I've gotten in to a pattern of playing 6 player standard classic games as that's what I enjoy and I find, in general, with more players randomness is reduced when compared to say 2, 3 or even 4 player games.

What I am trying to avoid is games with people, sometimes new players but also experienced players, with low ranking who make daft decisions and, frankly, don't understand how to win games. I don't mind that someone makes a move that tactically makes me weaker...fair enough...but I get so sick of seeing poor players attack my stack and in doing so largely just prevent THEMSELVES winning the game, as well as me. Instead I'd prefer to play with skilled players and not have to just hope that some dumbass doesn't take us both out the game.

So...I have not found any way to really achieve this. Start my own game and it gets filled with cooks. Join another game...ok, maybe find one well populated, but generally it will then get filled with cooks and privates. Just to add - even in the short time I've been here there seems fewer and fewer of the game type I want to play so hard to find games.

Any advice? :idea:
Major jusplay4fun

Postby Skinty on Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:26 am

jusplay4fun wrote:Inexperienced players tend to play the Classic map; it is familiar and few surprises.

I suggest that you find a new favorite map.

One other "long-shot" Idea: I played Risk on another website that limited who (based on Rank) could join your game. I doubt that would happen here.

Hi buddy, thanks that is helpful. I would welcome a feature where you could start a game and limit joiners to Sargeant or over or something...but like you say doesn't seem that is going to happen.

I think I will look for a new map. Any suggestions? Don't want something overly complicated / obnoxious but also sufficient room for strategy to be key.

Thanks again
Major Skinty

Postby Shannon Apple on Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:08 am

If you want some higher skilled gameplay, you can always create some private games, then post the game numbers and pw in the stickied thread in this section for people ranked Major and above: viewforum.php?f=31

There are other threads in that section for people on different levels who want to play with people of similar rank. You can still play and enjoy classic this way if you want to. =)
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
Colonel Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Skinty on Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:13 am

Shannon Apple wrote:If you want some higher skilled gameplay, you can always create some private games, then post the game numbers and pw in the stickied thread in this section for people ranked Major and above: viewforum.php?f=31

There are other threads in that section for people on different levels who want to play with people of similar rank. You can still play and enjoy classic this way if you want to. =)

Ooooo that's really sexy and just what I'm looking for. Thank you very much!
Major Skinty

Postby Shannon Apple on Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:14 am

Skinty wrote:
Shannon Apple wrote:If you want some higher skilled gameplay, you can always create some private games, then post the game numbers and pw in the stickied thread in this section for people ranked Major and above: viewforum.php?f=31

Ooooo that's really sexy and just what I'm looking for. Thank you very much!

You're welcome! :D
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
Colonel Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby HardAttack on Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:28 am

What i can add is,

check game finder, check the right boxes that you like, then hit the search button....
there are some private games going on around through group PMs....
right after your search, check game creators and note their names, PM them to ask if you can join in those games and if they would mind to enter your name in the PM trafic, and let you have authorization to be in their noob free games bud.

O:)

remember, there are lots of people around once had trouble like this and solved in some fashion, you have to fidn them, game finder with ur preffered setting will help u find who they are then talk to them.

good luck
Colonel HardAttack

Postby Skinty on Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:21 pm

HardAttack wrote:What i can add is,

check game finder, check the right boxes that you like, then hit the search button....
right after your search, check game creators and note their names, PM them to ask if you can join in those games and if they would mind to enter your name in the PM trafic, and let you have authorization to be in their noob free games bud.

remember, there are lots of people around once had trouble like this and solved in some fashion, you have to fidn them, game finder with ur preffered setting will help u find who they are then talk to them.

good luck

Thanks HardAttack, that's more good advice. I'm thinking to build up a "friend" list maybe of players who want to play similar games and get in to their games or start games and invite.

Guess I'm not the first to encounter this "problem"! I'm not claiming I'm some kind of gaming genius but watching some people with thousands of games literally suicide for no reason is total "what's the f***ing point?" :shock:
Major Skinty

Postby HardAttack on Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:22 pm

Skinty wrote:
HardAttack wrote:What i can add is,

good luck

Thanks HardAttack, that's more good advice. I'm thinking to build up a "friend" list maybe of players who want to play similar games and get in to their games or start games and invite.

Guess I'm not the first to encounter this "problem"! I'm not claiming I'm some kind of gaming genius but watching some people with thousands of games literally suicide for no reason is total "what's the f***ing point?" :shock:

well,

lets hope such bad tastes are not big in numbers, which then you may filter them using magic option of FOE PLAYER.
i reccomend you to understand the logic of players' move then if you strictly believe it has no strategy behind but pure suicidal act, then please do not hesitate to use foe option...this option is going to protect you from the player showing in your further games buddy.

if you show some patience, after a while you will have a decent group of players around, with whom you may form a social group which aims to play in group games, or u may create ur PM list, say for example 50-100 players to play with....

yes, for example me, i used to be interested in 6-7-8 player escalating cards setting multiplayer games back in years, no more now, i used to have a PM list consisting 150-200 names....whenever i used to create 5-6 games, those games were private games and i used to let my PM list be informed of the games via PM including password for the private games mate.

good luck bud, hope it helps...
Colonel HardAttack

Postby Skinty on Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:48 pm

Thanks again. Yes, I have already foe'd a few terrible players. What constitutes "strategy" over idiocy is of course a matter of opinion, but when players carry out moves that drastically lower their own chance of success I'd rather avoid them to be honest.

I have started compiling friends and looking at other interesting maps!
Major Skinty

Return to Conquer Club Discussion