Conquer Club

Time-Limit Option?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Time-Limit Option?

Postby codymac on Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:06 am

Would it be possible, for the dev, to add-in an option of maybe a 12-hour turn limit, rather than the 24 (when setting-up the game)?

Thanks!
Corporal codymac

Postby Scorba on Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:32 pm

I'd be interested in this as well.
Lieutenant Scorba

Postby kevinc on Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:22 pm

I think 12 hours would be crazy, especially given you're playing in different timezones, it'd be quite easy to miss a 12 hour limit.
Corporal kevinc

Postby codymac on Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:49 am

kevinc wrote:I think 12 hours would be crazy, especially given you're playing in different timezones, it'd be quite easy to miss a 12 hour limit.

If you think this would be an issue, then you wouldn't have to join such a game, right?

:wink:
Corporal codymac

Postby dissolution on Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:40 pm

seems like an awesome idea
Cadet dissolution

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:51 pm

I'm in favor of a more drastic 12 minute limit round. ;)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby thegrimsleeper on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:42 pm

Well, lack said he's going to do 1-hour rounds this weekend, so realistically, anyone that's going to be in one of those games will be running to the computer every 10 minutes anyway.

Still would love to see a 15-minute option though.
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby johnnyrotten on Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:07 am

I thought that it was going to be 1 hour once you've started your turn. Someone help please.
Sergeant johnnyrotten

Postby kingwaffles on Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:59 am

I was under the impression that it was gonna be one hour once you had begun your turn, as the point of it is to deter holders.
Corporal 1st Class kingwaffles

Postby rocksolid on Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:19 pm

I heard Lack was developing a time limit where if you haven't taken your sequential turn after fifteen minutes that tornado guy from Mathman (Square One) sweeps across the board and randomly devours one of your territories and then that territory also stops existing in the real world and everyone else in the game gets a card.

No I didn't.

But for the record, I like that 12-hour option - it could be one of the variations like sequential/freestyle, unlimited/one fortification. Freestyling it might be crazy, but think of it for sequential games - it smells like serious fart waiting a day for each turn when you've got two deadbeats in a 6 player sequential game.
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby Joe McCarthy on Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:04 am

A 12 hour limit sounds nice but 1 hour would be hell. Holders would keep people chained to their computers all day by waiting that full hour everytime.
Corporal 1st Class Joe McCarthy

Postby Jota on Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:03 pm

I believe that lack's currently working on something to address the Holding issue.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby johnnyrotten on Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:23 am

How's the anti-holding measure coming along?
Sergeant johnnyrotten

Postby Haydena on Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:59 am

I'd like to see something to deter holders, they really get on my nerves. :(
Sergeant 1st Class Haydena

Postby kevinc on Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:39 am

Okay, here's why the 12 hour limit things isn't workable if you live any kind of normal life.

Here's a scnario:

You take your turn before going out for an evening at 6 o clock. There's only 2 other players playing so they take their turns at 7 and 8 o'clock. You come home, and go to bed, because it's late, and wake up at 9 o clock in the morning and you've missed your turn, and lost the game.

Because people have sleep/work which take 6-8 hours where you can't access a machine situations like this are entirely common. And that's before you take into account timezone problems.

If you want really fast games then I suggest you play one of the various real-time Risk games online like Lux, or MissionRisk.
Corporal kevinc

Postby johnnyrotten on Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:42 am

Well it could still be an option.
Sergeant johnnyrotten

Postby kevinc on Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:38 pm

Yea, it could be an option. However it would be a bad option that would have a negative effect, and ignores the real reason it's suggested.

People want faster games which would be over within a few hours, and I'm all for that. A 12 hour limit is simply a bad way of achieving that.
Corporal kevinc

Postby johnnyrotten on Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:47 pm

I suppose it means less time to wait should one of your opponents not have access to the computer...
Sergeant johnnyrotten

Postby codymac on Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:39 pm

kevinc wrote:Yea, it could be an option. However it would be a bad option that would have a negative effect, and ignores the real reason it's suggested.

People want faster games which would be over within a few hours, and I'm all for that. A 12 hour limit is simply a bad way of achieving that.

Again, the 12 hour game would be the exception, not the rule. If that doesn't fit your lifestyle, then simply choose to only play in 24h games.

Me? I'm constantly wired-in, as are all of my friends, and a 12H option would be a great addition. It would act as a motivator, of sorts, for those who need such things.
Corporal codymac

Postby kevinc on Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:07 pm

codymac wrote:Again, the 12 hour game would be the exception, not the rule. If that doesn't fit your lifestyle, then simply choose to only play in 24h games.

Me? I'm constantly wired-in, as are all of my friends, and a 12H option would be a great addition. It would act as a motivator, of sorts, for those who need such things.

*shakes head*

You're not "wired-in" when you're asleep. Also, I'd seriously hope you have enough of a social life that there are times when you're not at a computer for more than a few hours.

I've made my argument against it. I'll leave it at that.
Corporal kevinc

Postby codymac on Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:10 pm

kevinc wrote:
codymac wrote:Again, the 12 hour game would be the exception, not the rule. If that doesn't fit your lifestyle, then simply choose to only play in 24h games.

*shakes head*

You're not "wired-in" when you're asleep. Also, I'd seriously hope you have enough of a social life that there are times when you're not at a computer for more than a few hours.

I've made my argument against it. I'll leave it at that.

No, I'm not wired-in when I'm asleep. That's why I check my games before I go to sleep.

Oh, and let me know how your social life looks when you've got two small children and a wife. :roll:

It's very simple. If you don't want this restriction, if you don't think you'll be able to keep up with such a rigorous Risk schedule, then stick to the 24h games.
Corporal codymac

Return to Conquer Club Discussion