Conquer Club

++Player Numbers (7/10)++

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

++Player Numbers (7/10)++

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:13 pm

Hello! I noticed a lot of us use tags like these [7/10], (5/16) to indicate how many players have signed-up or to indicate how many players are still alive. I must admit that this gets confusing sometimes, as I look at one game tag such as (7/16) and say "Cool! This game is looking for players!" And then I notice it says D4... and realize it meant something else, and I can't join it.

So to avoid this confusion, I recommend putting tags on a mafia game in sign-ups to make it more easily distinguishable. Tags such as ++ on each end should work. Example:

++20% Cooler Mafia [4/20]++

This would easily be recognized as a game in sign-ups, and plus it saves the trouble of having to write "In Sign-Ups" (although you still could if you wanted) and saves time because then new players won't have to read the whole title to know which games they can join. And the less confused new players are, the more players that will come.

Also, it'd just look cool to see ++ on the joinable games, and it would attract attention to those games, maybe even making them fill up faster.

TL, DR: Put ++ tags on your game in sign-ups, like this:

++In Ten Seconds Flat Mafia (10/15)++

-SG7 ( 8-) )
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

My Smiley: ( :) ) --- it's got SHIELDS!

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.
Sergeant shieldgenerator7

Re: ++Player Numbers (7/10)++

Postby dazza2008 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:55 pm

I think if it says day or night it is fairly obvious it is not in sign up stage. No?
Corporal dazza2008

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:06 pm

dazza2008 wrote:I think if it says day or night it is fairly obvious it is not in sign up stage. No?

Yes, but the D2 or N3 tags blend in with the rest of the text, and you have to read the thread title to determine if it's ongoing or in sign-ups. And with 15 or so threads in the Mafia Forum at any given time, it gets tedious trying to find an open game, especially because the ongiong ones are usually on top.
The ++ tags will stand out and make it more obvious that the game is in sign-ups, making them easier to find.
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.

Postby dazza2008 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:16 pm

shieldgenerator7 wrote:
dazza2008 wrote:I think if it says day or night it is fairly obvious it is not in sign up stage. No?

Yes, but the D2 or N3 tags blend in with the rest of the text, and you have to read the thread title to determine if it's ongoing or in sign-ups. And with 15 or so threads in the Mafia Forum at any given time, it gets tedious trying to find an open game, especially because the ongiong ones are usually on top.
The ++ tags will stand out and make it more obvious that the game is in sign-ups, making them easier to find.

Ok. I don't find it very hard to tell but if you think it helps that is cool.
Corporal dazza2008

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:21 pm

:)

I mean this is only a suggestion to try and help players looking for a game to join and to help mods who are trying to fill their games up.

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:26 pm

I will do it if you update your vote counter links. The bottom ones work, but not the top ones.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby strike wolf on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:43 pm

game in sign ups (8/10) game filled but people died (10/8) just to confuse everyone. Personally i think it would be a good idea what Shield suggest or some variation of.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:33 pm

idk, seems pointless. If it's some fraction (say 7/10) and there's 15, 20, or 30 pages, it's a good bet it's not in sign-ups.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby edocsil on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:33 pm

Yeah, is beyond annoying to have a dozen symbols in the thread name. New players are going to have to read this just to know the conventions, and by then they likely already have it figured out. Games you sign up for have "Signups" "One more to start" "Looking for replacements" already, so I really don't see the point.
Edoc'sil

Commander9 wrote:Trust Edoc, as I know he's VERY good.

zimmah wrote:Mind like a brick.
Sergeant 1st Class edocsil

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:06 pm

Well if they figure it out they won't need to look at this thread, correct?

That's why the "annoying annotation" should go on the threads in sign-ups, because it won't stay in sign-ups forever.

And anyway, it's not like you have to do this, it's just a simple suggestion. What is it but 4 extra characters? Versus "Sign-ups" which is eight, plus whatever characters you need to add to make it make sense, means it takes up more room. Annoying annotation versus annoying wordiness...

it's just a way to make things more convenient. You don't have to accept if you don't want to, but I think it's a good idea.

-SG7 ( :) )

Postby edocsil on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:30 pm

And this is why we have to many unit systems :|
Edoc'sil

Commander9 wrote:Trust Edoc, as I know he's VERY good.

zimmah wrote:Mind like a brick.
Sergeant 1st Class edocsil

Postby safariguy5 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:36 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:idk, seems pointless. If it's some fraction (say 7/10) and there's 15, 20, or 30 pages, it's a good bet it's not in sign-ups.

-TG

Yeah, I'll put the appropriate tags if we're in signups. After I get a full game, I usually remove the player remaining count. Never saw the character limit in title much of a problem.
Captain safariguy5

Postby freezie on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:36 pm

A new player who sees

++DFH Theme (8/10)++
and see
GHT theme ( 7/10 )

won't notice the difference between them unless they read your suggestion.

Personally..the words in the title makes it a lot easier on just about everyone.
Corporal 1st Class freezie

Postby MoB Deadly on Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:28 am

freezie wrote:A new player who sees

++DFH Theme (8/10)++
and see
GHT theme ( 7/10 )

won't notice the difference between them unless they read your suggestion.

Personally..the words in the title makes it a lot easier on just about everyone.

This is a very good point. No one will know what the ++'s mean besides the people who read this thread. Most first-comers will thing the +'s are for decoration, not to indicate signups. I would say we definitely need a better way to do things if we had more than one page of mafia games. However like you said we only have about 15 or so threads, it doesnt take much time to read through them to know which are taking signups and which arent.
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal MoB Deadly

Postby ghostly447 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:42 am

Personally, I feel that the posts in a thread will be a dead giveaway.. 5/22, and 10 posts? That had obviously not gone through several nights and days. 5/22, 300 posts? That was a good game, time to drop in and enjoy a good read :D.
Cadet ghostly447

Postby chapcrap on Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:43 am

ghostly447 wrote:Personally, I feel that the posts in a thread will be a dead giveaway.. 5/22, and 10 posts? That had obviously not gone through several nights and days. 5/22, 300 posts? That was a good game, time to drop in and enjoy a good read :D.

Maybe 300 pages. If 17 people died in only 300 posts, that would amazing. ;)
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby trinicardinal on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:16 am

ghostly447 wrote:Personally, I feel that the posts in a thread will be a dead giveaway.. 5/22, and 10 posts? That had obviously not gone through several nights and days. 5/22, 300 posts? That was a good game, time to drop in and enjoy a good read :D.

yeah but a newbie may not pick up on that... the subject line is the key to it... Day and Night references help drastically - maybe put Signups (or something better) in the title as well for games waiting on players?
10:16:35 ‹Ace Rimmer› haven't looked at work in ages
10:42:43 ‹Sackett58› fine, I'll take my panties elsewhere
Captain trinicardinal

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:15 pm

Ok, I think I got something better than ++ tags.

Recently the Tournament Signups Forum under went a change to include symbols on the threads to indicate their status. They're totally noticable and possibly even easier to implement. Check it out:

[url]viewtopic.php?f=90&t=165445&p=3655614#p3655614[/url]
(don't forget to browse around the tournament forum to get a feel for how it looks). The symbols there are different then the ones we'll use here but it'll probably fairly similar.

Tell me what you all think and if this is a better way to go.

-SG7 ( 8-) )

Postby safariguy5 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:17 pm

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Btw shield, isn't it about time to write your article for the newsletter?
Captain safariguy5

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:43 pm

safariguy5 wrote:If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Btw shield, isn't it about time to write your article for the newsletter?

+1
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby pmchugh on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:47 pm

I nominate this for most pointless thread on CC.
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:19 pm

way to shoot it down, guys, way to shoot it down

Postby pmchugh on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:29 pm

Haha I say we should all do this. Not for any purpose other than to keep shield happy :)
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:15 pm

pmchugh wrote:Haha I say we should all do this. Not for any purpose other than to keep shield happy :)

thanks PMC, this cheered me up.

Honestly I don't want to force changes on anyone (especially because I have not the power to do so) but I do think some improvements could be made to make this site a better (and more fun) place to play. Honestly I can understand there'd be opposition to this idea but I think it has more to do with general resistance to change than anything else that has to do with this idea. And BTW guys, personal attacks don't constitute a good reason not to implement this idea (or something similar).

-SG7 ( :) )

Postby freezie on Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:58 pm

Except when the idea ends up cluttering stuff and make them even harder to figure out.
Corporal 1st Class freezie

Next

Return to Mafia Discussions