Conquer Club

Blocking a block

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Blocking a block

Postby / on Sat May 05, 2012 7:55 pm

I know the typical answer to actions is; everything occurs simultaneously, but occasionally that doesn't make sense.

what happens if the mafia roleblocker is sent to kill town roleblocker and block them at the same time, but the town roleblocker blocks them?

M.roleblocker blocks T.rolebocker (blocked)
T.roleblocker blocks M.roleblocker (blocked)
M.roleblocker kills T.roleblocker (blocked?)

if the town's action blocked the kill then it means he wasn't blocked because he blocked the mafia's action which was ineffective for some reason, but if the kill goes through, it means the town's block action was blocked, but the mafia's action wasn't for some reason, which is it? #-o
Sergeant 1st Class /

Re: Blocking a block

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Sat May 05, 2012 7:59 pm

If it comes down to that kind of situation, I'd just take the first action first. So whoever sends in their action first would take precedence. Not really much other recourse, I think.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby everywhere116 on Sat May 05, 2012 8:16 pm

Reminds me of a similar problem on mafia scum. Basically, Roleblock A > Roleblock B > Doctor C > Patient D. Does it go through? There is no correct answer. It depends on the mod. I say that the doctor is able to protect the patient under these circumstances, but other mods see it differently.

In a cyclic case, like yours, I would say that everyone is blocked, including the kill.
"Disease, suffering, hardship...that is what war is all about."-Captain Kirk, from "A Taste of Armageddon"
Corporal everywhere116

Postby pmchugh on Sat May 05, 2012 8:25 pm

There are so many rules that are not clear. I don't even really understand endgames with survivors. If you have 2 maf + 2 surv + 4 town is the game over? I would say yes but I'm not sure.
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby everywhere116 on Sat May 05, 2012 8:30 pm

pmchugh wrote:There are so many rules that are not clear. I don't even really understand endgames with survivors. If you have 2 maf + 2 surv + 4 town is the game over? I would say yes but I'm not sure.
No, the game goes on because it's still possible for mafioso to be voted out.
"Disease, suffering, hardship...that is what war is all about."-Captain Kirk, from "A Taste of Armageddon"
Corporal everywhere116

Postby / on Sat May 05, 2012 8:31 pm

everywhere116 wrote:Reminds me of a similar problem on mafia scum. Basically, Roleblock A > Roleblock B > Doctor C > Patient D. Does it go through? There is no correct answer. It depends on the mod. I say that the doctor is able to protect the patient under these circumstances, but other mods see it differently.

In a cyclic case, like yours, I would say that everyone is blocked, including the kill.

huh, weird, that doesn't seem like a problem to me, a roleblock as I see it, means "this player's action doesn't work", if a block is blocked it seems pretty obvious they didn't block the doc.
the problem is, using that definition, it's pretty much impossible to call either block "blocked", since they would have both been simultaneously successful in unsuccessfully preventing each other...

and to PMC, I would say no, I never declare a winner until the situation is unrecoverable for a side, or I have prepared a victory condition beforehand that has been met.
Sergeant 1st Class /

Postby safariguy5 on Sat May 05, 2012 9:22 pm

/ wrote:I know the typical answer to actions is; everything occurs simultaneously, but occasionally that doesn't make sense.

what happens if the mafia roleblocker is sent to kill town roleblocker and block them at the same time, but the town roleblocker blocks them?

M.roleblocker blocks T.rolebocker (blocked)
T.roleblocker blocks M.roleblocker (blocked)
M.roleblocker kills T.roleblocker (blocked?)

if the town's action blocked the kill then it means he wasn't blocked because he blocked the mafia's action which was ineffective for some reason, but if the kill goes through, it means the town's block action was blocked, but the mafia's action wasn't for some reason, which is it? #-o

I would say all roleblocked, no kill. We assume roleblocks take precedence over kills, so there shouldn't be any kills IMHO.
Captain safariguy5

Postby pancakemix on Sun May 06, 2012 12:50 am

The normal action priority should go something like this:

Self inflicted (commuter, etc.)
Busdrives/Redirects
Blocks
Protects
Everything else (kills, inv., etc.)

Am I forgetting anything?

Also, in that situation, I think the blocks cancel. The kill goes through.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby Fircoal on Sun May 06, 2012 1:03 am

I'd personally say that the two blocks prevent the other from happening, but as stated this is a mod choice.
Vote: Mandy
Eddie35: hi everyone
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
Skoffin wrote: So um.. er... I'll be honest, I don't know what the f*ck to do from here. Goddamnit chu.
Captain Fircoal

Postby pmchugh on Sun May 06, 2012 6:45 am

everywhere116 wrote:
pmchugh wrote:There are so many rules that are not clear. I don't even really understand endgames with survivors. If you have 2 maf + 2 surv + 4 town is the game over? I would say yes but I'm not sure.

I still think it should end, because otherwise the game is open to abuse. In the above mentioned situation the survivors just pick a winner. Look at the latest r&j mafia which had multiple factions and a few survivors, after our faction got a head start all I had to do was get the survivors on side and the game was over. I guess I just really dislike the survivor role, I think it is soooooo boring. What does a survivor do during the day? It promotes inactivity IMO.
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby everywhere116 on Sun May 06, 2012 11:01 am

Your assuming everybody knows what each other's roles are.
Corporal everywhere116

Postby nagerous on Sun May 06, 2012 6:14 pm

All blocked no kills.
Captain nagerous

Postby nagerous on Sun May 06, 2012 6:16 pm

pmchugh wrote:
everywhere116 wrote:

I still think it should end, because otherwise the game is open to abuse. In the above mentioned situation the survivors just pick a winner. Look at the latest r&j mafia which had multiple factions and a few survivors, after our faction got a head start all I had to do was get the survivors on side and the game was over. I guess I just really dislike the survivor role, I think it is soooooo boring. What does a survivor do during the day? It promotes inactivity IMO.

Mods prerogative to enforce a deadline, if the survivors can get their act together they will work with the mafia to force the no lynch.
Captain nagerous

Postby safariguy5 on Sun May 06, 2012 8:26 pm

nagerous wrote:
pmchugh wrote:
everywhere116 wrote:

Mods prerogative to enforce a deadline, if the survivors can get their act together they will work with the mafia to force the no lynch.

Agreed. The mafia can threaten mutually assured destruction to survivors (i.e. mafia can't win but will kill survivors to ensure survivors don't win either) to get the survivors to vote with them. Depending on if town has vigs or protective roles left, town probably can't offer protection or promise retaliation either. I would have it play out until one side is clearly superior.
Captain safariguy5

Postby pancakemix on Sun May 06, 2012 10:02 pm

everywhere116 wrote:Your assuming everybody knows what each other's roles are.

This. If you are a survivor and you think it's lylo, you should pretty much throw a vote out there just to see if it gets jumped on. Doubtful the mafia would kill you for that.

To add to that, I'd say in that position the survivors should be offering the filibuster deal. As safari said, baiting them out and turning on them would be foolhardy, given the one who turns (5 to lynch in that scenario) is dead meat.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby strike wolf on Sun May 06, 2012 10:27 pm

Order of priority (first two are kind of interchangeable in certain scenarios):

1. Block
2. Drive
3. hide
4. Other actions

This does not count Magnet.

mafia role blocker blocks town roleblocker + Mafia roleblocker kills town doctor +Town Roleblocker role blocks Mafia Role blocker=?

I've always had it so that the role blocks cancel out and any subsequent action (In this case the kill on the town doctor) go through. same can be said if it was a jailer and not a town role blocker. The role block action would be negated but the protection would go through.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Return to Mafia Discussions