Conquer Club

Mafia Game Waiting List as a new rule?

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Should we make a waiting list to ensure each mod gets their time and that too many games are not run at once?

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes : 24

Mafia Game Waiting List as a new rule?

Postby Anarkistsdream on Thu May 31, 2007 11:20 am

I believe we need a waiting list to stop burnout and increase game interest.
Last edited by Anarkistsdream on Thu May 31, 2007 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
virus90 wrote: I think Anarkist is a valuable asset to any game.
Cook Anarkistsdream

Postby spinwizard on Thu May 31, 2007 11:21 am

see my idea in the sticky
Private 1st Class spinwizard

Postby AK_iceman on Thu May 31, 2007 11:25 am

I'd be down for it, just so the veterans can play in my game without being distracted. Yes.
Sergeant 1st Class AK_iceman

Postby got tonkaed on Thu May 31, 2007 11:26 am

i voted no....because too stringent a rule set will just stagnant the games anyway because new players will have a harder time breaking and staying interested. There should be some kind of general policy and a bit of common sense practiced (but as long everyone realizes everyone should get turns to play mod...all that jazz) then we should be alright. As a player, try and play in the games youd like to play in, but be wary if some newer players want a shot to get to play. As a mod, focus on creating the best game you possibly can before you bring one to the table.

We keep these things in mind, we have enough games for everyone and a growing forum.
Cadet got tonkaed

Postby spinwizard on Thu May 31, 2007 11:29 am

i siad no, i don't like stoping ppl moding unless they wait 4 2 months, if u want that go to mafiascum

Postby Anarkistsdream on Thu May 31, 2007 11:33 am

My feeling is that it would allow everyone to have a chance to mod, would stop players from being burned out or so confused that they can't keep up with all the games they play in, and it would allow for everyone to flesh out their ideas before they have to mod the game.

By not having a waiting list of some kind- or a roster or something- I feel like too many people that don't have the experience are running games that are just running out.

Of course, I suppose you can tell when an experienced mod runs a game and when it is a newbie by the quality of the players that sign up.

In any case, I just want what would be best for the mafia-playing community here as a whole.
Cook Anarkistsdream

Postby nagerous on Thu May 31, 2007 11:38 am

I agree with Anarkist because I have some big ideas for some mafia games but what I don't want is them to be wasted on deadbeat noobs in a deadbeat game. I believe the mafia community is growing but that inevitably means the amount of people that sign up and never play is also growing and experienced players will therefore get tired of playing in games where there are constant modkills and replacements. That way with a waiting list which is fair and equal to all moderators, games can be properly organised. I think there should possibly also be a separate waiting list for newbie games and maybe create it so you have to play through a newbie game before being allowed to sign up onto a theme game in order to prevent the problem with deadbeats.
Captain nagerous

Postby The1exile on Thu May 31, 2007 11:39 am

Some people can mod good games after playing next to none, while some people can play lots of games and still not have a clue how to mod.

I don't think there should be a waiting list - mods are generally aware of the sort of response they're likely to get if they mod when too many games are going on.
Lieutenant The1exile

Postby LSU Tiger Josh on Thu May 31, 2007 11:43 am

I voted no. It would be too much like mafia scum over there. I tried to sign up for a game and didn't get back to me for over a month. Here people just need to operate under common sense. If they want to play in only 1 or 2 they can while some people can handle more. In regards to the mods, I personally would rather go ahead and run an idea that i may have had instead of having to stick it on the backburner for a few months. By the time that it might come up, I may have lost my inspiration for wanting to do it that way.
LSU Tiger Josh
The man, the myth, the legend has returned.
Corporal LSU Tiger Josh

Postby AK_iceman on Thu May 31, 2007 11:48 am

LSU Tiger Josh wrote:Here people just need to operate under common sense.

And there's the flaw in your plan, there's really only a few mods that have this "common sense" that you speak of.
Sergeant 1st Class AK_iceman

Postby LSU Tiger Josh on Thu May 31, 2007 11:50 am

AK_iceman wrote:
LSU Tiger Josh wrote:Here people just need to operate under common sense.

And there's the flaw in your plan, there's really only a few mods that have this "common sense" that you speak of.

But it is unfair to penalize those that do have it. The ones lacking it will show in their quality of games.
LSU Tiger Josh
Corporal LSU Tiger Josh

Postby Colaalone on Thu May 31, 2007 11:52 am

Whats the current number of games going?
Scrolling down it seems a bit insane.
Luis Buñuel wrote:In the name of hypocrites,
doctors have invented the most exquisite form of
torture ever known to man: survival.
Cook Colaalone

Location: Checking into a Las Vegas hotel with the intent of committing capital fraud and a head full of acid

Postby got tonkaed on Thu May 31, 2007 11:56 am

There appear to be 12 currently running, with a couple that are close to completion....probably a little on the high side, but not exactly unmanageable. And there are a few that seem to have widely different sets of players involved.
Cadet got tonkaed

Postby LSU Tiger Josh on Thu May 31, 2007 11:57 am

I think 2 of them are pretty much just for the noobs although my noob one has a couple of experienced players in it. they probably will get voted out early based on how noobs are.

several of the ones on the first page are from rt games that we've finished
LSU Tiger Josh
Corporal LSU Tiger Josh

Postby kalishnikov on Thu May 31, 2007 12:05 pm

And not all noobs are dead beats. In fact it's just the opposite in the games I've been playing, most of the non-posters have played way more games and have post counts in the thousands.

Back on topic, I voted no. Only because I don't feel we need mafia-specific rules (other then game rules).

By all means, use the waiting list idea. I just don't think it needs to be a rule. When it becomes over structured (like mafiascum) it starts to loose it's "fun-factor."

One more idea, I think there should almost always be a noob game going on. It would give new players a chance to learn and it would give people who haven't modded many games a chance to practice.
Sergeant 1st Class kalishnikov

Postby LSU Tiger Josh on Thu May 31, 2007 12:08 pm

kalishnikov wrote:And not all noobs are dead beats. In fact it's just the opposite in the games I've been playing, most of the non-posters have played way more games and have post counts in the thousands.

Back on topic, I voted no. Only because I don't feel we need mafia-specific rules (other then game rules).

By all means, use the waiting list idea. I just don't think it needs to be a rule. When it becomes over structured (like mafiascum) it starts to loose it's "fun-factor."

One more idea, I think there should almost always be a noob game going on. It would give new players a chance to learn and it would give people who haven't modded many games a chance to practice.

I completely agree with Kal in that it would lose it's fun factor and that there should always have a newbie game going. AD told me that it was tough to mod with a bunch of noobs, but at the same time I think it would allow me to go through my mistakes and learn from them as a mod while letting new players start to learn how to play mafia.
LSU Tiger Josh
Corporal LSU Tiger Josh

Postby mandalorian2298 on Thu May 31, 2007 12:18 pm

Perhaps mods should start a Mod Guild Thread and discuss starting of new games among themselves. Asking players if they want the number of games to be kept in check is like asking junkies if they think that drug flow should be kept in check! :mrgreen:
Mishuk gotal'u meshuroke, pako kyore.

Talapus wrote:I'm far more pissed that mandy and his thought process were right from the get go....damn you mandy.
Lieutenant mandalorian2298

Postby Anarkistsdream on Thu May 31, 2007 12:20 pm

mandalorian2298 wrote:Perhaps mods should start a Mod Guild Thread and discuss starting of new games among themselves. Asking players if they want the number of games to be kept in check is like asking junkies if they think that drug flow should be kept in check! :mrgreen:

A Mod Guild Thread... Now THAT sounds like a good idea, actually!

Wow, Mandalorian, be proud... You had a GOOD idea... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cook Anarkistsdream

Postby mandalorian2298 on Thu May 31, 2007 12:25 pm

Anarkistsdream wrote:
mandalorian2298 wrote:Perhaps mods should start a Mod Guild Thread and discuss starting of new games among themselves. Asking players if they want the number of games to be kept in check is like asking junkies if they think that drug flow should be kept in check! :mrgreen:

A Mod Guild Thread... Now THAT sounds like a good idea, actually!

Wow, Mandalorian, be proud... You had a GOOD idea... :lol: :lol: :lol:

HA! I waited for you to say something like that! :twisted:
vote Narc I am sure about this guys. If he turns out to be town, we hang me tomorrow! HAHAHAHAHA! *two people in white uniformes drag cackling mandalorian away*

Talapus wrote:I'm far more pissed that mandy and his thought process were right from the get go....damn you mandy.

Postby Colaalone on Thu May 31, 2007 12:28 pm

The KKK took my Mandy away...
Luis Buñuel wrote:In the name of hypocrites,
doctors have invented the most exquisite form of
torture ever known to man: survival.
Cook Colaalone

Location: Checking into a Las Vegas hotel with the intent of committing capital fraud and a head full of acid

Postby mandalorian2298 on Thu May 31, 2007 12:29 pm

Colaalone wrote:The KKK took my Mandy away...

LMAO. Good one. :lol:

Postby autoload on Thu May 31, 2007 12:48 pm

As soon as we are able to get usergroups again I'm game for this.
Major autoload

Postby spinwizard on Thu May 31, 2007 2:53 pm

yep, things to do

1) When usergroups are open, have a usergorup for mafia mods (wicked can u swing this for us???)

2) A newbie mod que, so there is always a newbie game going. Mods will take it in turns.

3) Teach ppl some common scence!!! DON'T START A GAME IF THERE IS LOADS ALREADY!!!

Postby spinwizard on Thu May 31, 2007 3:34 pm

do u all agree?

Postby mandalorian2298 on Thu May 31, 2007 4:46 pm

spinwizard wrote:yep, things to do

1) When usergroups are open, have a usergorup for mafia mods (wicked can u swing this for us???)

2) A newbie mod que, so there is always a newbie game going. Mods will take it in turns.

3) Teach ppl some common scence!!! DON'T START A GAME IF THERE IS LOADS ALREADY!!!

I don't think that all games should be put in the same basket. A distinction should be made between RTs, Tutorial games (for new players), normal games and Grand Games. I belive that restrictiones should only be used on starting Grand Games. What is a Grand Game you ask? Well, I took a liberty of writting down my definition of a Grand Game.

Grand Game (I based the description of this chategory on Tombstone, Sherwood, Broodwar and Colony games)

1. Size - above 24 people. When this many people are involved, it takes a lot of work to keep track of the game (especially if one of them is psycho who turns the Day 1 into a Soap Opera :lol: ). This is the main reason why these games should be held one at the time (because it would be VERY hard to keep track in two games of this type.)

2. Recruitment - The players for this game are recruited firstly by invite. After that, if additional players are needed, a sign-up thread is made. This is neccesery because a newbie-rich Town would stand little chance in a game this big, not only because of, probably, poorer investigation skills, but also because of a possibilty that one or more townies could start subamarrining for no other reason then being lost.

3. Mod - If you do start a Mod Guild, I suggest that you make a list of mods (like the list of players that Spin put in the Sticky thread) for the sole purpose of holding Grand Games. Only expirienced mods should be permited to organize this type of games because keeping track of voting, unvoting (plus waching out for violations, finding subs and all the other reasons why lazy Players love their dilligant Mods :wink: ) becomes much more complicated in a Grand Game.

Next

Return to Mafia Discussions