Conquer Club

Suggestion for the Mods (Concerning Mafia)

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Suggestion for the Mods (Concerning Mafia)

Postby mandalorian2298 on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:05 pm

Problem: Although it's clearly stated in the rules that all talk stops during the Night, most of the players, even veteran ones, don't respect that rule. (Hell, even I posted after the curfew a few times).

Suggested solution: respected mods (Aimles, Nark, Talapus, Xen etc.) could be given a limited priviledge to "Lock" their game thread during every Night.
I don't know if this is practical or possible, but if it is, I think that it is worth considering, since night talking can affect the game play in IMO unfair manner.

I know that chances are low that this suggestion will be accepted by Wicked-the-chatty-corpse-who-roams-at-night, but I had to give it a try. :lol:
Mishuk gotal'u meshuroke, pako kyore.

Talapus wrote:I'm far more pissed that mandy and his thought process were right from the get go....damn you mandy.
Lieutenant mandalorian2298

Postby wicked on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:10 pm

why would a game mod be so anal? Most of the night talkers aren't doing any harm. some of the newer players like to spam though, and in that case, the game mod can PM a mod to request to lock/unlock it. And since when is Ank a respected game mod? He's only run one game, right? And in that he didn't even get the roles right. :wink:

And for the real reason, giving people forum mod powers for mafia games is not a good idea for many reasons, the biggest being people see a name in bold and go apeshit thinking it's a mod... happened with the usergroup mods before and with the multihunters all the time.
Last edited by wicked on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major wicked

Re: Suggestion for the Mods (Concerning Mafia)

Postby Fircoal on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:11 pm

mandalorian2298 wrote:Problem: Although it's clearly stated in the rules that all talk stops during the Night, most of the players, even veteran ones, don't respect that rule. (Hell, even I posted after the curfew a few times).

Suggested solution: respected mods (Aimles, Nark, Talapus, Xen etc.) could be given a limited priviledge to "Lock" their game thread during every Night.
I don't know if this is practical or possible, but if it is, I think that it is worth considering, since night talking can affect the game play in IMO unfair manner.

I know that chances are low that this suggestion will be accepted by Wicked-the-chatty-corpse-who-roams-at-night, but I had to give it a try. :lol:

Hey, I'm a respected mod, just I don't fit on the list because I <3 night time spam. I never say stop talking. :D
Vote: Mandy
Eddie35: hi everyone
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
Skoffin wrote: So um.. er... I'll be honest, I don't know what the f*ck to do from here. Goddamnit chu.
Captain Fircoal

Re: Suggestion for the Mods (Concerning Mafia)

Postby Minister Masket on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:12 pm

Fircoal wrote:
mandalorian2298 wrote:Problem: Although it's clearly stated in the rules that all talk stops during the Night, most of the players, even veteran ones, don't respect that rule. (Hell, even I posted after the curfew a few times).

Hey, I'm a respected mod, just I don't fit on the list because I <3 night time spam. I never say stop talking. :D

I should have known you'd show your ugly face here.
Victrix Fortuna Sapientia

Private Minister Masket

Postby mandalorian2298 on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:15 pm

wicked wrote:why would a game mod be so anal? Most of the night talkers aren't doing any harm. some of the newer players like to spam though, and in that case, the game mod can PM a mod to request to lock/unlock it. And since when is Ank a respected game mod? He's only run one game, right? And in that he didn't even get the roles right. :wink:

He run 2 and they both worked. Besides, Talapus did only one, but itROCKED!

As for the harm, read the posts and the argument during Night 4 and Day 5. IMO, those post would almost surely cost mafia their victory, had I payed attention to them.

Talapus wrote:I'm far more pissed that mandy and his thought process were right from the get go....damn you mandy.

Postby nagerous on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:18 pm

You can't forget AD's second game when I owned you all :wink:
Captain nagerous

Postby wicked on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:23 pm

yeah but he didnt' know the definition of a godfather. ;-)

and Aim's game was pretty much over... nothing you could've done to save it.
Major wicked

Postby Talapus on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:42 pm

mandalorian2298 wrote:
He run 2 and they both worked. Besides, Talapus did only one, but itROCKED!

Oh, I feel so loved...Thanks :D

I like this idea for many reasons Mandy, but I also understand what wicked is saying. Certain people get paranoid when they think others have certain powers. If mods are willing to lock threads at night though if the people running the mafia game pm them, then that's cool. I never knew they'd do that.
Corporal Talapus

Postby kalishnikov on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:56 pm

I agree Talapus's game was pretty awesome...

Back on topic, this may be a good idea, but I'm not sure it be possible to give someone mod powers over just one thread and I don't know about you guys but I'd be scared to see Fircoal with mod abilities...
Sergeant 1st Class kalishnikov

Postby Fircoal on Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:38 am

kalishnikov wrote:I agree Talapus's game was pretty awesome...

Back on topic, this may be a good idea, but I'm not sure it be possible to give someone mod powers over just one thread and I don't know about you guys but I'd be scared to see Fircoal with mod abilities...

Why me? If I was a mod, I wouldn't blow it. I could be demoted. :D I'll leave that for my own forums, so I don't get Demoted.
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
Skoffin wrote: So um.. er... I'll be honest, I don't know what the f*ck to do from here. Goddamnit chu.
Captain Fircoal

Postby Aimless on Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:00 am

mandalorian2298 wrote:As for the harm, read the posts and the argument during Night 4 and Day 5. IMO, those post would almost surely cost mafia their victory, had I payed attention to them.

I assume by this you mean the post kwanton made during Night 4 in Bad Poets? That's the only one I found questionable during that time frame. The rest was just random inane spam.

As for kwanton's post... that one almost crossed the line, but I decided to let it slide since he didn't actually have any privileged information. It was an on topic post not made in verse, but I'd given others one slip like that, and I had to weigh the harm in modkilling verses the harm in not following the rules. Plus, to be fair, kwanton had the second-hardest verse type in the game (the only harder being villanelle's - which I didn't even enforce; pcm could have chosen a different type if he'd wished).

At any rate, if it ever gets bad enough that I feel the need, it's easy to ask a mod to lock the thread for me. I don't need (nor would I particularly want) mod powers in my own right.
Private Aimless

Postby Fircoal on Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:21 am

Aimless wrote:
mandalorian2298 wrote:As for the harm, read the posts and the argument during Night 4 and Day 5. IMO, those post would almost surely cost mafia their victory, had I payed attention to them.

I assume by this you mean the post kwanton made during Night 4 in Bad Poets? That's the only one I found questionable during that time frame. The rest was just random inane spam.

As for kwanton's post... that one almost crossed the line, but I decided to let it slide since he didn't actually have any privileged information. It was an on topic post not made in verse, but I'd given others one slip like that, and I had to weigh the harm in modkilling verses the harm in not following the rules. Plus, to be fair, kwanton had the second-hardest verse type in the game (the only harder being villanelle's - which I didn't even enforce; pcm could have chosen a different type if he'd wished).

At any rate, if it ever gets bad enough that I feel the need, it's easy to ask a mod to lock the thread for me. I don't need (nor would I particularly want) mod powers in my own right.

how hard was mine compaired to the others?
Captain Fircoal

Postby Aimless on Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:26 am

Fircoal wrote:how hard was mine compaired to the others?

Hmmm. It was short, so I'd rate it probably fourth in difficulty, behind villanelles, rondeau, and sonnets.

Of course, this isn't counting in blank verse or free verse, which were hard for entirely different reasons.
Private Aimless

Postby Fircoal on Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:32 am

Aimless wrote:
Fircoal wrote:how hard was mine compaired to the others?

Hmmm. It was short, so I'd rate it probably fourth in difficulty, behind villanelles, rondeau, and sonnets.

Of course, this isn't counting in blank verse or free verse, which were hard for entirely different reasons.

ok, because I thought it was hard, what was the easiest?
Captain Fircoal

Postby Aimless on Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:35 am

Nonets, probably. Haiku, maybe.
Private Aimless

Postby mandalorian2298 on Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:55 am

Fircoal wrote:

Why me? If I was a mod, I wouldn't blow it. I could be demoted. :D I'll leave that for my own forums, so I don't get Demoted.

I didn't put Fircoal as an example (though he is certanly a respected Pikachu :D ), because he does half the night talking himself.

Postby pancakemix on Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:17 am

On MafiaScum, they lock they lock the games every night phase, but to do that, they give the mod temporary mod powers. It's practical, but I don't think we could pull that off. Some of these games we have are really out of control, and some people [size=0](derfderf, Fircoal)[/size] couldn't handle themselves, at least I don't think so.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby 0ojakeo0 on Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:11 am

mandalorian2298 wrote:
Fircoal wrote:

I didn't put Fircoal as an example (though he is certanly a respected Pikachu :D ), because he does half the night talking himself.

y dont u just ban pikachu for the night? :lol:
hecter wrote:Hey... If your donkey eats my roosters feet, that means I have two feet of my cock in your ass.
Sergeant 0ojakeo0

Postby kalishnikov on Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:38 am

I kinda like Fircoal's random spam in the games I've played with him, night or day. He never crosses that line between random spam and pertinent information so I see no harm in it.

It keeps the game bumped at night, and in slow games like CC mafia, it keeps it going when other's aren't posting.

I say spam on Pika :D
Sergeant 1st Class kalishnikov

Postby Anarkistsdream on Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:47 am

If you want the thread to be locked at night- which several mods have done (Auto, me, Aimless, etc.)- then you can just ask Moz or Wicked...

They are both nice, and have no problem doing that stuff.

And I run awesome games. Just because they aren't typical rules. Who wants typical rules?
virus90 wrote: I think Anarkist is a valuable asset to any game.
Cook Anarkistsdream

Postby wicked on Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:05 pm

I'm all for twists and such in games, just don't call it the same thing.... i.e. don't give someone the role of jester, and list them as a jester when killed, if they're role isn't to actually be killed...lol. :wink: that leads to people "playing the mods and not the game".

You can also PM AK_iceman.
Major wicked

Postby Anarkistsdream on Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:08 pm

wicked wrote:I'm all for twists and such in games, just don't call it the same thing.... i.e. don't give someone the role of jester, and list them as a jester when killed, if they're role isn't to actually be killed...lol. :wink: that leads to people "playing the mods and not the game".

I would never do that.... :^o
virus90 wrote: I think Anarkist is a valuable asset to any game.
Cook Anarkistsdream

Postby mandalorian2298 on Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:26 pm

wicked wrote:I'm all for twists and such in games, just don't call it the same thing.... i.e. don't give someone the role of jester, and list them as a jester when killed, if they're role isn't to actually be killed...lol. :wink: that leads to people "playing the mods and not the game".

This reminds me of Sheep's mafia, wich started with a PM discussion between him and me, themed "What ARE the win conditions for a Vanilla Townie". :lol: My favorite part was: "How about you just play the game and in the end I'll tell you if you have won." :roll: :lol:

Postby wicked on Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:36 pm

yeah reminds me of telvanna's game... got no WC at first and really no role, just a name. then when I asked, I was told to "just survive for now, I'll tell you more later". turns out I was a SK. :roll:
Major wicked

Postby Aimless on Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:52 pm

Hmmm...

A mafia game with no win conditions... interesting.

:-k
Private Aimless

Return to Mafia Discussions