Conquer Club

M:tG Planeswalker mafia - Town wins!

Housing completed games. Come take a walk through a history of suspicion!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: M:tG Planeswalker mafia [6/15] Day 3 - Alara Separated

Postby sheepofdumb on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:42 pm

You're using lore. It doesn't hold a candle to the game mechanics. Three town investigation roles is really powerful. This plays to the towns power of lynching. But there's potentially 4 kills a night. Mafia, SK, Vig, and the NK from the blacksmith. Mafia has role blocker and godfather. Give them a doc and you have a fairly powerful mafia to compete. The three other killing roles can play into the favor of either side.

I've made guesses in many games based off a name but I don't think I've ever been right.
I AM MASTER SHEEP, TEH AWESOME

DoomYoshi wrote:Test it on me. Tree stump is my favorite role anyway lol. Next time I am picking Wispy Woods as my character.
Corporal sheepofdumb

Postby jgordon1111 on Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:54 pm

actually sheep I have now completed a look at all of the claimed roles,and Slow kind of tied them all together in one form or another straight from your role as Tezzeret and his life story. All the good guy (town) roles check out and so do the bad guy (mafia) roles. So now I believe you have some real serious explaining to do as Iliad pointed out. Thank you Iliad for pointing out what should have been obvious to the rest of us to check out.
Private jgordon1111

Postby slowreactor on Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:37 am

Vote Count:

jgordon1111 (1) - wildwilliam
Iliad (2) - edocsil, sheepofdumb
sheepofdumb (2) - Iliad, jgordon1111

With 6 alive it takes 4 to lynch (not 3 like I said last time :oops: ).
Colonel slowreactor

Postby jgordon1111 on Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:46 am

seriously william go look,slow is running this game it looks like on sheeps character's life,most of the characters in this game are in Tezzeret's story and all the color of thier characters in this game. And now that I am sure you are not mafia what I gave to edoc 2 times was a shotgun,But in the last case he used your power to bring down mafia. Sorry about the misunderstanding from my side.
Private jgordon1111

Postby Iliad on Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:28 am

sheepofdumb wrote:You're using lore. It doesn't hold a candle to the game mechanics. Three town investigation roles is really powerful. This plays to the towns power of lynching. But there's potentially 4 kills a night. Mafia, SK, Vig, and the NK from the blacksmith. Mafia has role blocker and godfather. Give them a doc and you have a fairly powerful mafia to compete. The three other killing roles can play into the favor of either side.

I've made guesses in many games based off a name but I don't think I've ever been right.

That's a piss poor argument, sheep and I notice it's exactly the same last time when you waved your hand and tried to get everyone to move on.

And it doesn't even make any sense. It's not my fault that you couldn't be bothered to claim a name other than you have been given. Three town investigation roles is really powerful. Too powerful, hence it makes a lot of sense that the watcher is mafia, especially with serial killers and vigs. It would also make sense for you to have jumped from the woodwork to contribute and counterclaim Victor yesterday. You were sure you would be able to prove your watching abilities and assumed that would prove you innocent. Sorry, but no. Your point is shooting itself in the foot. Also are you trying to suggest that I am a mafia doc? That town doesn't have a single protective role? Sheep that is honestly one of the worst defences I've read.
Private 1st Class Iliad

Re: M:tG Planeswalkers mafia [11/15] Day 2 - Dawn of Lorwyn

Postby Iliad on Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:34 am

sheepofdumb wrote:
pancakemix wrote:Unvote vote sheep

Judging by flavor, Garruk Wildspeaker makes perfect sense as a tracker. Tezzeret makes no sense as a watcher. He's kind of an ass. To everybody. Not only that, but he's a member of the Infinite Consortium that killed Jace. And is trying to take it over. My theory is that you're a mafia usurper who has an elaborate plan but you took a foolish gamble. Or worse, you're just making a bad fake claim

I saw no confirmation or denial of sheep's claim from Iron Butterfly. He must claim NOW because the number of roles he could be are very few, and he had better have a good reason for targeting himself.

Make no mistake, Tezzeret is a bad guy. A very bad one at that.

I'm not going to argue over lore. I've tried to argue using lore before and have been proven wrong.

Take a look at who was beating this drum day 2, about sheep being heavily implied to be scum. A certain pgo who was then targeted day 2 by the mafia kill.

Lore+Game mechanics, sheep.
Private 1st Class Iliad

Postby sheepofdumb on Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:47 am

I don't have time for this. Sorry Drake. This game has been mistake after mistake for me. I suicide.

You are Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas - Mafia Watcher. Once lost and beaten down, Nicol Bolas has provided you with magnificent power, and now, together with your fellow servant Sarkhan, you help your lord towards his goal of becoming the master of the Multiverse.

As a watcher, you may "watch" one player each night, and find out who, if anybody, has targeted that player the same night. You are also aligned with drake_259 (Nicol Bolas - Mafia Godfather) and Freezie (Sarkhan the Mad - Mafia roleblocker). You may communicate with the other members outside of the game thread. In addition, each night, your faction may assign one person in it to kill a person of your choosing. You win when your faction outnumbers every other faction.

You are provided with a fakeclaim: Tezzeret the Seeker, Town Watcher. You may choose to use this fakeclaim if you want, or you may make up a different fakeclaim, it's all up to you.

Please confirm in the game thread
I AM MASTER SHEEP, TEH AWESOME

DoomYoshi wrote:Test it on me. Tree stump is my favorite role anyway lol. Next time I am picking Wispy Woods as my character.
Corporal sheepofdumb

Postby wildwilliam on Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:36 am

jgordon1111 wrote:seriously william go look,slow is running this game it looks like on sheeps character's life,most of the characters in this game are in Tezzeret's story and all the color of thier characters in this game. And now that I am sure you are not mafia what I gave to edoc 2 times was a shotgun,But in the last case he used your power to bring down mafia. Sorry about the misunderstanding from my side.

slow down. If I was online I would have.

there is no reason to now. game should be over. well played by the town night killers i mgiht add.
Corporal wildwilliam

Postby jgordon1111 on Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:57 am

well if sheep is the final mafia,then that should wrap it up. thanks for an interesting first game all.
Private jgordon1111

Postby edocsil on Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:21 am

Unvote Vote sheep I don't know why you just folded there.
Edoc'sil

Commander9 wrote:Trust Edoc, as I know he's VERY good.

zimmah wrote:Mind like a brick.
Sergeant 1st Class edocsil

Postby slowreactor on Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:17 pm

I might as well wrap this up then (sheep pasted his role PM):

Tezzeret knew he was trapped. With the death of his master, he was now alone, directionless, and well aware that the planeswalkers were catching on to the plan. Rather than surrender himself to them, he instead chose to take his own life, the last choice he could make.

Tezzeret (sheepofdumb, mafia watcher) has suicided!

Click image to enlarge.

While they did not get a chance to punish Tezzeret for his treachery to the Multiverse, the remaining planeswalkers knew that they have defeated the great evil, Nicol Bolas, and stopped his plans. Weary, but content, they each went their separate ways, to their home worlds, or what was left, for some.

Town wins!
Colonel slowreactor

Postby slowreactor on Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:18 pm

Roles:

Mafia
drake_259: Nicol Bolas ā€“ Mafia Godfather
Sheepofdumb: Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas - mafia watcher
Freezie: Sarkhan the Mad ā€“ mafia roleblocker

3rd party:
Rdsrds2120: Liliana Vess ā€“ 3rd party Serial Killer

Town:
DoomYoshi: Jace Beleren ā€“ Town cop
Rodion: Venser ā€“ town jailor
Iliad: Elspeth Tirel ā€“ Town doctor
Wildwilliam: Gideon Jura ā€“ Town vigilante
Iron Butterfly: Karn ā€“ town bus driver
Victor Sullivan: Garruk Wildspeaker ā€“ town tracker
Pancakemix: Chandra Nalaar ā€“ Town paranoid gun owner
Shieldgenerator7: Nissa Revane ā€“ Town mason (with Sorin Markov)
Edocsil: Sorin Markov ā€“ Town mason (with Nissa Revane)
TA1LGUNN3R: Ajani Goldmane ā€“ Vengeful townie
jgordon1111: Koth of the Hammer ā€“ Town gunsmith
Colonel slowreactor

Re: M:tG Planeswalker mafia - Town wins!

Postby slowreactor on Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:19 pm

Since this has been the first mafia I have hosted, I would appreciate any and all comments/suggestions/tips moving forward, especially on stuff such as game balance, modding style, etc. Thanks, and have fun in future games! :)
Colonel slowreactor

Postby jgordon1111 on Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:27 pm

Dont have prior experience, so just going to say I enjoyed it and thanks for letting me play =D> And thank all of you who took time to explain things to the noob :roll:
Private jgordon1111

Postby Rodion on Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:30 pm

PCM, albeit passively, single-handedly killed 2 out of 4 anti-town roles.

I think PCM is the MVP.
General Rodion

Postby Iron Butterfly on Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:59 pm

It amazes me how wrong everyone can be, myself included.

Two out of the three mafia barely played while town tore into each other.

GG everyone.
Captain Iron Butterfly

Re: M:tG Planeswalkers mafia [15/15] Day 1 - Beyond Yawgmoth

Postby Rodion on Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:17 am

Rodion wrote:You must force inactives to come out, Sheep being the name that comes to my mind now. They need to be accountable for what they do and not posting goes against gauging accountability.

Rodion wrote:Also check Drake and Rds as inactives you need to force to play the game.

;)
General Rodion

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:22 am

Yay!

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Re: M:tG Planeswalkers mafia [11/15] Day 2 - Dawn of Lorwyn

Postby Iron Butterfly on Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:43 am

Iron Butterfly wrote:Interesting how Drake is "to busy" to post in our game and yet finds time for a heated debate in another Mafia game.

A prod is not needed for him. Hes around, he just chooses not to post this game.

You can lead a horse to water but you cant make them drink. In this case Town.

Its funny...my experience in my 5 games so far is that everyone is wrong most of the time or they refuse to listen. As Rodion the townie it musthave been frustrating.

William I was sure was mafia just by his gameplay from the get go. The same for Illiad. he was so sure you and I were scum. Doom was hell bent on hanging you and refused reason to the point i felt he was mafia.

Unless there is a blatent miscue or a solid counter calim it all seems to be a guessing game. :lol: I was so tired when i cut and pasted my claim...I had insomnia and kept thinking about the silly game... I wasnt thinking and blew it. How frustrating.

More experience to play better next time.
Captain Iron Butterfly

Postby freezie on Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:56 am

I need to post one comment..I can't be bothered to go back, but someone said to Sheep that it wasn't their fault if sheep couldn't be arsed to find a better fakeclaim.

WE mafias had fakeclaims...Basicly, our same role, but before the alliance with Nicol bolas...Basicly we had evil fakeclaims from the get go.

This was a good game, but if I had to say one comment, slow: Make sure when you add fakeclaims that they aren't going to be lynched just because the claim is an evil guy form the get go :lol:

And first day, I had to go frenetically around trying to find a less popular planeswalker to fakeclaim if I needed..the only one I can think that wasn't in this game is Karn liberated :S

But oh well..GG town. I hate you pcm the pgo.
Corporal 1st Class freezie

Postby safariguy5 on Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:40 pm

As the consultant, I did tell slow to consider expanding the scope of the game to include more characters and give mafia fakeclaims, but it was his decision.

I think it would be a good idea to keep updating the first post with who was killed when and what their role was. It makes it easier to get a recap of the game without having to dig through pages of posts.
Captain safariguy5

Postby slowreactor on Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:35 pm

freezie wrote:I need to post one comment..I can't be bothered to go back, but someone said to Sheep that it wasn't their fault if sheep couldn't be arsed to find a better fakeclaim.

WE mafias had fakeclaims...Basicly, our same role, but before the alliance with Nicol bolas...Basicly we had evil fakeclaims from the get go.

This was a good game, but if I had to say one comment, slow: Make sure when you add fakeclaims that they aren't going to be lynched just because the claim is an evil guy form the get go :lol:

And first day, I had to go frenetically around trying to find a less popular planeswalker to fakeclaim if I needed..the only one I can think that wasn't in this game is Karn liberated :S

But oh well..GG town. I hate you pcm the pgo.

safariguy5 wrote:As the consultant, I did tell slow to consider expanding the scope of the game to include more characters and give mafia fakeclaims, but it was his decision.

I think it would be a good idea to keep updating the first post with who was killed when and what their role was. It makes it easier to get a recap of the game without having to dig through pages of posts.

These are excellent points. I definitely underestimated the power of lore in the game, and I will definitely make sure the same doesn't happen in any future games.
Colonel slowreactor

Postby Iron Butterfly on Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:20 pm

So let me ask this to those who desighn games. Should a player pay attention to lore or is that hit or miss dependent on the mod? In hindsight lore played a big part of our game but folks could just as easily say that it does not mean anything. Personally I think this is a great way to play as it gives more info to use.

On a side not I want to give a hand to Slow =D> for a well thought out game. When I was complaining at the beggining about Sheilds behavior I didnt mean for it to come across as an indictment of your modding. I did however beleive it was somthing that needed to be adressed.

It cracks me up created all this drama as a replacement and then in the end does a dissappearing act.
Captain Iron Butterfly

Postby safariguy5 on Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:13 pm

Iron Butterfly wrote:So let me ask this to those who desighn games. Should a player pay attention to lore or is that hit or miss dependent on the mod? In hindsight lore played a big part of our game but folks could just as easily say that it does not mean anything. Personally I think this is a great way to play as it gives more info to use.

On a side not I want to give a hand to Slow =D> for a well thought out game. When I was complaining at the beggining about Sheilds behavior I didnt mean for it to come across as an indictment of your modding. I did however beleive it was somthing that needed to be adressed.

It cracks me up created all this drama as a replacement and then in the end does a dissappearing act.

I think lore is definitely useful in determining who is "town" and who is "mafia" (although sometimes you do get the roles reversed.

For example, were I to run a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Mafia game, I could have the turrtles + friends= town and shredder+baddies= mafia, or I could have Shredder+ baddies= town and the turtles+friends= mafia.

Also, certain characters can lean towards certain roles, which may make fakeclaims or regular claims a bit more persuasive/ridiculous. Taking the above example, Shredder would most definitely be the Mafia Godfather or at least a mafia role with night abilities. April O'Niell on the other hand would probably be some sort of watcher or tracker role.

So in conclusion, yes, flavor does help, but it's not necessary to be familiar with the series/theme to play. Good scumhunting and discussion trumps flavor spec any day.
Captain safariguy5

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:44 pm

Good job to the town, although no thanks to the cop ;)
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

PreviousNext

Return to Mafia Archives