Conquer Club

Mass Effect 1 - Thorian (Cult) Wins!

Housing completed games. Come take a walk through a history of suspicion!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Mass Effect 1 - The Hunt for Saren

Postby Thorthoth on Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:44 pm

Well thanks. strike, that was an informative post. More about Mafia in general, than this game in particular.

As for me, everything I know is what I've read as far as introductory material on the Mafia forum. Players get eliminated two ways. By being killed (lynched) by votes during the day phase and then others get eliminated by being killed (assassinated) by other players at night. This is basically correct, am I right?

I'm still uncertain how one determines who to vote for, though I do get the concept of a 'bandwagon'. If nobody has to play their role or give any true clues and anyone can always give false clues then it almost seems like guessing will rule the day (no pun intended).
THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:22 pm

Minister Masket wrote:
Ragian wrote:Firm!

That's the longest intro post I've seen in a while. I need to read up on what this game is actually about. Hung over right now, though. Summer vacation is hard on teachers too!

Vote dakky for brilliantly killing me off in the Lion King game (at first I thought it was Mandy and wanted to kill myself)

Vote Ragian for dropping enough scumtells in that first day to get killed off in the first place. Ya left Pika and I with all the hard work to do!

Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:23 pm

With that. Days 1 has begun. It will end Tuesday -8 GMT.
Symmetry wrote:
The ram wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Ok, so some stuff goes over your head?

No not here anyway. He never said they were forced.

Whoosh
Corporal 1st Class DirtyDishSoap

Postby HotShot53 on Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:36 pm

vote strike for posting too logical of a post and thus ending the joke vote stage, before I got my joke vote in.

Thorthoth wrote:Well thanks. strike, that was an informative post. More about Mafia in general, than this game in particular.

As for me, everything I know is what I've read as far as introductory material on the Mafia forum. Players get eliminated two ways. By being killed (lynched) by votes during the day phase and then others get eliminated by being killed (assassinated) by other players at night. This is basically correct, am I right?

I'm still uncertain how one determines who to vote for, though I do get the concept of a 'bandwagon'. If nobody has to play their role or give any true clues and anyone can always give false clues then it almost seems like guessing will rule the day (no pun intended).

On day 1, it often is more of a guess than anything else... everyone waits for someone to slip up and give a scum tell, and then tries to convince others that they are correct. More often than not it's a town going after another town, but sometimes we get lucky and find a scum on day 1. There are some who prefer to no-lynch on day 1 because it is more of a guess than any other day, but the majority believes the information gained by seeing people's arguments for or against the lynch is important enough even if we mislynch and kill a town. If there is no serious discussion on day 1, then no-one has any information to make a decision of what to do with any night actions they might have on night 1.

DirtyDishSoap wrote:With that. Days 1 has begun. It will end Tuesday -8 GMT.

Since this is a very short day 1, there is a significant chance the day will end without a majority lynch. What happens then? Most votes gets lynched, or no-lynch?
Major HotShot53

Re: Mass Effect 1 - D1 The Hunt for Saren

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:58 pm

For now, no lynch. If the activity/indecisiveness warrants it later in the game, I will change it.

This is merely an experiment on my end to see how people react to a short day
Symmetry wrote:
The ram wrote:

Whoosh

Postby Ragian on Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:00 am

Minister Masket wrote:

That's the longest intro post I've seen in a while. I need to read up on what this game is actually about. Hung over right now, though. Summer vacation is hard on teachers too!

Vote dakky for brilliantly killing me off in the Lion King game (at first I thought it was Mandy and wanted to kill myself)

Vote Ragian for dropping enough scumtells in that first day to get killed off in the first place. Ya left Pika and I with all the hard work to do!

While you're clearly the better player, I still think that is a hard call. Unfair even.
Major Ragian

Postby benga on Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:37 am

vote thor

don't think his 'slip' is accidental
Sergeant benga

Postby Minister Masket on Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:53 am

Ragian wrote:
Minister Masket wrote:

While you're clearly the better scum player, I still think that is a hard call. Unfair even.

Corrected that for ya. I can't play town for toffee. (Or at least I can just about manage if I don't make an epic fail on Day 1 like Pokemon mafia)
Unvote though.

strike wolf wrote:*Notes assassin killing slip*

Role play depends on how much you're comfortable with role playing or if you have a post Restriction. Generally powerful characters don't role play as it can give scum a hint on who to target, weak roles don't role play because they want to draw fire to protect power roles and scum don't role claim their own characters because they don't want to be lynched. ;)

The reason to role play usually is to leave a small hint for later in the game. B. Shots and giggles (which is a perfectly valid reason since ultimately we are trying to have fun) or c. They're post Restriction encourages it. Though occasionally someone will try to role play to fake people out. Say I was Commander Shepard and I didn't want people to target me so I acted like I was vanilla. Or I was vanilla and I acted like I was more important. It's dangerous as you could get called out but it's a valid stratagem.

Usually the joke stage ends usually because a. Someone is inactive and we start seeing people press or defend the inactive. B. A bandwagon starts to form out of the jokes and we start debating if any of the votes can be taken as scummy. C. Someone thinks they spot something scummy (for instance, let's say Skoffin reads this post and feels that I'm truing too hard to be helpful and decides I'm buddying up to you) or D. The joke vote lasts long enough that someone decides it's time to start talking more seriously like we are starting to do now.

You forgot:
D) DDS announces he wants a No Lynch on Day 1 and immediately causes a massive schism among everyone (see Lion King for the latest example). :lol:

Thorthoth wrote:So after this joke/mixer/intro phase, we start role-playing? I suppose there is a lot of bluffing. ...and there is lynching during the day, assassination-style killing at night? Sounds like nerve-wracking fun.

I know that picking on the new guy is tradition, but it's stretching to call this a slip surely? Sounds more like a general description of night scum activity to me.
Victrix Fortuna Sapientia

Private Minister Masket

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:14 am

Minister Masket wrote:You forgot:
DDS announces he wants a No Lynch on Day 1 and immediately causes a massive schism among everyone (see Lion King for the latest example). :lol:
to me.

I hate you.

But seriously. It's simply an experiment. I want to see if the activity spikes because of a shortened D1 or if it just remains the same/steady flow.
You're my guinea pigs. :twisted:

Side note - I'm not saying you guys can't lynch within the window. You're more than welcome to bandwagon someone or whatever person seems the most scummy, just be aware of the time limit.
Symmetry wrote:
The ram wrote:

Whoosh

Postby Skoffin on Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:53 am

Should I pretend to make a post that's vaguely helpful or should we skip the pretense and lynch Ragian since he's been scum in every game I've seen so far.
Everything confuses and enrages me! Raaaargh
Join Discord group for multiplayer gaming and general nonsense.
Lieutenant Skoffin

Postby Skoffin on Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:54 am

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:Conform and vote skoffin for calling me tailhunner.

-Tails

Typing is not one of my few skills.
Everything confuses and enrages me! Raaaargh
Join Discord group for multiplayer gaming and general nonsense.
Lieutenant Skoffin

Postby strike wolf on Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:22 am

This early in the day, it was worth noting, IMO, but he answered it well so I don't currently have any reason to press him.

benga wrote:vote thor

Well no slip is intentional unless you're "Slippin' Jimmy' or a rest of the world football player. Are you suggesting that it wasn't a slip but something else?
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby Skittles! on Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:50 am

Skoffin wrote: Should I pretend to make a post that's vaguely helpful or should we skip the pretense and lynch Ragian since he's been scum in every game I've seen so far.

While that would be lol, you know what would give more LULS? Lynching you.
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby iAmCaffeine on Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:15 am

I should warn you guys I've won trophies playing online mafia before.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby lord voldemort on Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:38 am

Skoffin wrote: Should I pretend to make a post that's vaguely helpful or should we skip the pretense and lynch Ragian since he's been scum in every game I've seen so far.

good enough for me....

and ease up on the new guy benga. at least give him the day 1 benefit of the doubt
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby Ragian on Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:18 am

:lol:

unvote vote LoVo for protecting his scumbuddy.
Major Ragian

Postby Thorthoth on Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:48 am

benga wrote:vote thor

Wait, huh? Shouldn't that be because you DO think my slip is accidental?
THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby Samlen on Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:43 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:I should warn you guys I've won trophies playing online mafia before.

*squints suspiciously* He's obviously trying(failing) to sound too important to loose!
Unvote Vote Caffeine
Lieutenant Samlen

Postby strike wolf on Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:53 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:I should warn you guys I've won trophies playing online mafia before.

Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby lord voldemort on Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:54 pm

Samlen wrote:

*squints suspiciously* He's obviously trying(failing) to sound too important to loose!
Unvote Vote Caffeine

Personally I prefer my caffeine tight
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby benga on Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:07 pm

lord voldemort wrote:

good enough for me....

and ease up on the new guy benga. at least give him the day 1 benefit of the doubt

i like to go hard :lol:

guess we will have to see what night brings
Sergeant benga

Postby Pikanchion on Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:28 am

The use of the term Assassination does not come across as scummy as such, more as a Drell softclaim. Which side a Drell would be in Mass Effect 1 (a game in which none are featured) is entirely ambiguous, but with the number of players we have, I would not necessarily be surprised if there were non-named characters who are also power roles.
Private Pikanchion

Postby iAmCaffeine on Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:12 am

Samlen wrote:

Unvote Vote Caffeine

Helps if you can spell lose, retard.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby Samlen on Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:23 am

Bit of a rude reaction to an obvious joke. In other news, we got what 4 days left? DDS didn't specify a time on Tuesday it'd end, but we're not likely going to lynch anyone so don't think it matters that much when the day ends on Tuesday. People are already slowing down with joke votes and whatnot so would any experienced mass effect player got any general tips on what to expect or should I go wiki diving? Like would the geth be the mafia or does saren have some sort of crew with them?
Lieutenant Samlen

Postby madmitch on Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:27 am

Have to agree with Pika :x :x but the Drell don't show up until Mass Effect 2,but I am sure we are in for some surprises, maybe even 3rd party characters, better get my M7 lancer assault rifle all cleaned up and get ready for action
Cadet madmitch

PreviousNext

Return to Mafia Archives