Conquer Club

World 1.4 rough draft. Artist needed!

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

World 1.4 rough draft. Artist needed!

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:18 pm

Basically. I'm thinking a world map on a scale similar to the classic risk map, but not the same. The original Risk map was designed on the world as it was in the Napoloeonic era... I'm thinking same thing but based on the world at the start of the 20th century... expect an image soon.

So I made up a little mock up for what I'm thinking.

As the original Risk map was based on the Napoleonic era, this world map is based on how the world looked at the start of the 20th century, notice the USA is split North and South, as at 1900 the American cvil war was still in people's minds when looking at cultural splits in geographic areas.

Also Europe is split more along the lines it was headed in the early 20th century with the central powers emerging.

Also, I never like Asia as a giant mass in the original map. with Russia occupying most of North Asia, I figured might as well put them in the game as their own bonus and have the rest of Asia as Far East.

I also divided Africa into part Middle East bonus and part Sub-saharan bonus.

Also the sea connections are more reflective of a post-age of sail age. I tried to keep the connections in line with what would later be sea attack routes in the 20th c. such as Japan to USA.

The bonuses are very similar to classic, but I thought best to at least put something in there for people to dispute and discuss. So please give an opinion on these.

As of now the Title is tentative. I figure if theoriginal classic map with the skull compass is 1.0, 1.1-1.2 were those classic art and shapes maps, 1.3 is classic cities. then I'm proposing a 1.4

World 1.4 - slightly more complicated than classic map but not as immense as World 2.1.

Without further ado:

Lastly I am looking for an artist to work with me on this one. I'll handle all gameplay issues and offer some input on design, but mostly it's up to you. I've done a bunch of maps before, but since had a stroke and my left hand continues to limit my abilities with photoshop... some stuff is possible (as you can see), but I just don't have the ability to do the more complex commands and actions on the program, such as holding multiple keys. I work well with others... I worked with Natty_Dread on Three Kingdoms of Korea... which turned out to be a great map and I didn't have any complaints and don't think he had any about me outside of some issues we had sorting out gameplay possibilities. But we worked pretty good as a team, so I guess I'm a teamplayer and I'd love to work with another artist on CC.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Re: World 1.4 rough draft. Artist needed!

Postby sannemanrobinson on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:15 am

I like the idea of a more cultural oriented map with realistic sea connections. Maybe it could be a First Nations map of the world?
Major sannemanrobinson

Postby Industrial Helix on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:26 pm

Not really going for a first nations map on this one, just want a world map that's not as huge as 2.1 or just the cities. plus adding the Mid east as a bonus region seems like a good idea to me.
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby x-raider on Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:46 am

I support this!
Corporal 1st Class x-raider

Location: Lost in the Complexities of the Undiscovered Universe

Postby SlowSmith on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:44 pm

This looks awesome! Would play this to shreds. Would very much like to contribute. Unfortunately, the gods did not see fit to bless me with any artistic talent whatsoever. Wish you best of luck finding an artist, and thank you for contributing to the game! Love the Korea map.

Cheers, Max
Cook SlowSmith

Postby RjBeals on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:49 am

Industrial Helix wrote: but since had a stroke and my left hand continues to limit my abilities with photoshop...

holy cow - sorry to hear that. I was wondering why you were looking for an artist, when you yourself are a great one! Hopefully you'll regain the same motor skills you had and be able to continue your art.
Private RjBeals

Postby Industrial Helix on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:02 am

Ok, thinking about doing this map again as I've found a solution to my mouse using difficulties, any support?
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:56 am

All I can offer is moral support. I love the idea!
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas