Conquer Club

Cross word Map

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Cross word Map

Postby Pilate on Wed May 31, 2006 6:28 pm

The bonuses applied to the continents are not in agreement proportionately. It looks like the bonuses are just related to the number of countries in each continent without figuring in the number of borders.

For example, purple give a bonus of 4 for 8 countries and 4 borders. Red, on the other hand, gives a bonus of 3 for just 5 countries and 2 borders.
Colonel Pilate

Postby Marvaddin on Wed May 31, 2006 6:54 pm

I believe that Andy is doing great, and that 'Foundry Brand' is a good thing. But maybe we should do the same thing to all already playable maps... Im always thinking: why southwest has a bigger bonus than southeast in USA map?
Major Marvaddin

Postby Jota on Wed May 31, 2006 8:13 pm

It's true that -- as it was my first map -- I hadn't had as much experience with map design when I did that one. I did take into account the number of border countries, but I didn't really figure in the number of other continents that they could be attacked from. If I were going to revise it, I would probably add one to the bonuses for purple, orange, cyan, and green.

I've also had some people tell me that it's hard to see the colors of the army counts on the colored background, so I've considered adding in darkened or lightened circles. But I'm not sure if that might detract from the feel of a crossword puzzle.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed May 31, 2006 8:18 pm

---Perhaps posting an image of what it would like with army shadows and values on the crossword map would be beneficial for the community. Then everyone can see if it helps or detracts from the overall visual appeal you had going.

**Note** All maps, even those currently up for live play, can be revised (and are encouraged to do so) to make them better than they already are.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby rocksolid on Wed May 31, 2006 8:32 pm

I'm really against the little circles, sight unseen. I generally dislike them on most maps anyway, but I pipe in here because it could be a tedious bit of work to put them up just for argument's sake.

That said, the bonuses are a little funny on the crossword map, and I've noticed that myself. But I think that bonuses are one element where foundry input can get excessively orthodox - in the crossword map, I don't see the bonuses as a problem or a downside to the map, as their unevenness is part of what gives this map - where the challenge is precisely to create geographical features where none exist - more flavour and peculiarities than it could otherwise have. Part of why it's my favourite map. I think making the bonuses "better" would actually make the map worse.

I've said it before, but I think the important principle in a discussion of bonuses has to be the avoidance of a pattern where one area is so overvalued that victory on that map is effectively determined by who holds that continent. This is not the case on the crossword map.

Going too far beyond that principle can be an interesting exercise, but a little dangerous when it turns into an assertion that bonuses have to be changed so that every map is more like the classic map.
Last edited by rocksolid on Wed May 31, 2006 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby vtmarik on Wed May 31, 2006 8:40 pm

I don't mind the bonuses so much, it's just the map as a whole. It's really hard to conceptualize and follow.

I mean the word thing is cool, but it makes my head hurt...

Maybe I should just STFU and get used to the map?
Initiate discovery! Fire the Machines! Throw the switch Igor! THROW THE F***ING SWITCH!
Cadet vtmarik

Postby HighBorn on Wed May 31, 2006 8:43 pm

I still hate it.....
Private 1st Class HighBorn

Postby Jota on Wed May 31, 2006 8:46 pm

How could I argue with what rocksolid wrote? :)
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby KoolBak on Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:28 am

I still love it.....
Corporal KoolBak

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas