Conquer Club

RFC: New map ideas

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

RFC: New map ideas

Postby N0g on Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:47 pm

Request for Comments

I have some map ideas that could be doable, but I'm artistically unskilled and without time to implement them with any quality (if they are even possible).

Map Concept: Waterworld. Earth as we know it, but with melted polar caps and little or no land mass.

"Continents" would be the Oceans, three small land masses: Himilayas, Rockies(or Andes) and Alps, and an underwater continent called Scubatica. There would be no country with one entry/exit point, so the "build up Austrailia" factor is less likely.

The interesting factors:

I like to see maps that are more than Classic with different shapes (space is a great example, and I've never played crossword, but I can assume it is too). I would like more usage of cards, so how about:

Trading cards for upgrades:
1. A multiplier "token" that follows one troop force (country) at a time and cannot be used in the same turn that you "cash-in" a set of cards for normal troop bonuses (bonii?). Two cards for an extra "2X token", four cards for a "3X token". So 10 troops become 20 troops for two cards. They last one turn only and can move along with troops from the originating country. Defenses are bonused too for the remainder of the turn, but only the troops from the originating country gets the bonus. The originating country is the first country to make an attack after the bonus is applied.
2. Tusunami surf for two cards. Have trans-oceanic links that only work if you trade in some cards. No same turn cash-in limits on these.
3. Paradiver fortifications for two cards. The ability to fortify unconnected land (water) from any other owned country (leaving at least one behind, as usual).
4. Underwater mines for a card. At the end of your turn, you get the turn number of extra troops on a country of your choice until your next turn. Turn three, you get three troops. Turn 30, you get 30 troops. But only on one country and the extra troops go away when your next turn arrives. The same percentage rules (see below) from the multiplier token applies if they are attacked before the next turn.

There are some obvious problems. If I bump up my troops from 10 to 20 and lose only five in battle, what am I left with after the turn? It would have to be a percentage of what was lost. So if I lost 5 troops, I would have lost 25% and be left with 25% of the original 10. Rounded down, I would have 7 troops left. If I lost 10 troops (50%), I would have 5 troops after the turn. If I lost two troops, I would have 9 troops since I only lost 10%. If I lost 16 troops, I would have two troops. Losing 17,19,19 all leave one troop.

I don't even know if these could be implemented, but it would be interesting.
Lieutenant N0g

Postby Banana Stomper on Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:32 pm

there's a thread for this sort of thing
Corporal 1st Class Banana Stomper

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas