Conquer Club

Make Maps More Intricate

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Make Maps More Intricate

Postby Gerazan on Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:19 pm

Ok, so imo the new Ireland map blows.

Its too simple. Almost no blocking areas.Boring period.

But the space map rocks imo.

And Middle earth is good with blocks and double entrances.

So I guess what i'm saying is please put a little effort into giving the maps intricasies.Double or triple entrances, massive blocked areas, islands and so on and give whoever made the space map a bonus for creativity!!!!!!!!

Ok so heres a little more detail.

Ireland should have been green.>>>St Patricks day

Ireland is full of old walls and rivers which imo could have been included with blocks and extra entrances.

And theres the Leprechaun factor.Tree as a continent, maybe pot of gold pointed shoes and such as areas and since leprechauns can pop in anywhere why not give one area in the tree attacks to all continents.

I'm not interested in strick reality maps but fun maps.

The original map has a secret attack area which hasn't been incorporated into any new maps yet that I know of.
Corporal Gerazan

Postby wcaclimbing on Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:01 pm

shouldn't this be in the map forum???

i think that there should be some intricate maps, but also more simple maps for the people (like me) that don't like to think so much and just take their turns
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:45 pm

As I have yet to play the Ireland map, I cannot comment on the playability of it from firsthand experience. As for it not having Irish thematical elements, the cartographer KevinC, chose not to go down the route of gimmics. Its visual quality is unlike most of the maps. It has an old world feel to it, which I think works strongly in its favor. Adding leprechauns and pots of gold, in my opinion, would take away from the direction that the cartographer wanted to go with this map.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby fluffybunnykins on Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:54 pm

I agree with Andy
but, horses for courses, choose the maps you do like, or create one of your own... we could have an 'Ireland, the Cheesy gimmick-laden cliche version', I'm sure there's room for both. Get your crayons out & go for it! It might even be quite popular...
Superman wears 'Fluffybunnykins' pyjamas
Corporal 1st Class fluffybunnykins

Postby Gerazan on Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:19 am

Well, I didn't mean to hurt anyones feelings and I guess I should be more subtle at times but I was hoping to give you guys a little boost on the creativity side.

As for me making one, no thanks, I'd rather leave the work to someone else.

But, if your going to spend all that time making one, why not make it totally new and out of the ordinary.
Corporal Gerazan

Postby Marvaddin on Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:27 pm

But the Ireland map IS new. It has several errors that make it assume a completely new gameplay, according to some guys. But I agree with you. It sucks, and I dont need even play it to know it.
Major Marvaddin

Postby joeyjordison on Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:02 pm

there is nothing wrong with the ireland map except that i hav lost every time i hav played it. it is a serious map and i think it is quite stylish. dancing leprachons and a pot of gold would slightly change the tone and trivialise a good map. go kevinc!
Major joeyjordison

Postby happysadfun on Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:38 pm

the ireland map has uncrossable borders, but they aren't obvious enough. the map is subtle, with subtle colouring and subtle uncrossable borders. but thats something that makes it unique.
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby gavin_sidhu on Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:25 am

The ireland map is nice visually, i just dont like how small it is and the border in the large version.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby happysadfun on Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:36 am

joeyjordison wrote:there is nothing wrong with the ireland map except that i hav lost every time i hav played it. it is a serious map and i think it is quite stylish. dancing leprachons and a pot of gold would slightly change the tone and trivialise a good map. go kevinc!

the thumbnail pic doesn't serve it right. you have to see it fully
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas