Conquer Club

Brazil map done!! Improved!!

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Brazil map done!! Improved!!

Postby Marvaddin on Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:28 pm

This is the link for the image:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f44/M ... otalc6.jpg

Improved version of Brazil map, with some additional art, coloured backgrounds for the continents, legible names, the circles for the numbers, a bonus inscription... well, its almost done. However, I had a little problem with the album site and .jpg conversion, so I converted it to 256 colour bitmap, and because of that the map background is so ugly.

Discussion:
First, some attack routes can disappear... I pretend block some frontiers, making some borders smaller. What do you think? Which forntiers should be blocked?

Second, armies bonus for the continents. Names of continents (names can change, too) and my first suggestions:
Central Axis - 8
South - 2
Mato Grosso - 4
Northeast - 3
Central North - 6
Northwest - 5

Third, other aspects. Visualization, final art, what should be changed?

Im open to critics, suggestions, etc.

If you want see the previous version, the link is:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f44/M ... pnames.jpg
Last edited by Marvaddin on Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Marvaddin

Postby thegrimsleeper on Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:03 pm

Umm.... I think you really need to get rid of the patterns, and just stick with a texture/color for each "continent."

And figure out a way to keep the whole thing connected so we can actually tell it's Brazil.
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby Marvaddin on Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:32 pm

I have an "one piece map", too. The link is:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f44/M ... /total.jpg

I dont put the names in this yet. To use it I will also change some minor frontiers. People, do you prefer my cute patterns :wink: or a texture/color for continents, like grimsleeper?? That can be easily changed.

My preocupation, however, is with the playability. Problems with continents or anything?
Major Marvaddin

Postby ZawBanjito on Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:40 am

I like the one piece map better... I also think the textures are a bit much. Also, in the first one, the names are far too difficult to read. Also, you know, I think of Brazil, I think of rainforests, the Amazon, mountain ranges... any chance some of those geographical features could get put in? I like the Asia map and Supermarcol's Canada map for those reasons. Purely aesthetic though.

The South needs more than 2, defending against two continents, one of them worth 8. Actually, 8 might be too much. I think you should reduce the border between Central Axis and Central North by one country and reduce the Central Axis bonus by one, then give the South 3 like Northeast has.

Also, the border from Northeast to Central Axis needs to be reduced. As it stands, Central Axis has a very strong incentive to take Northeast, not just because of the bonus but because it greatly reduces the number of
borders it needs to defend. On the other hand, Central North has less incentive to take Northeast, for the same reasons in reverse. Maybe this should be balanced out?

Hmmm... it's not bad at all. Great job!
Colonel ZawBanjito

Postby Marvaddin on Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:44 am

You are right about one piece map. Thats more beautiful, but... Central North and Mato Grosso have so many frontiers, so I think reduce those by the route attacks, like in Usa map... I also can block some frontiers with some "barricades", a sequence of "X", because Brazil have not big mountain chains (highest mountain: 3014m) :? So, I will control the borders.

About South armies, I disagree, because this is a continent which can be conquered and hold from game start, so, 2 armies is suficient. Think about it as the Oceania + Siam. The second option for a fast start conquer is Northeast... Mato Grosso has 5 countries only but can be attacked from many areas.

Well, I put names on map because I want real suggestions about which attack routes should disappear, if any. Maybe you can help me. And I will do a map with colour textures.
Major Marvaddin

Postby ZawBanjito on Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:52 am

Huh, well I guess I do see your point now that I look at it. I'm still a little concerned about Northeast. Maybe you can capture it fast but with three borders it will be hard to hold. But maybe it will be good like that. A person who captures Northeast will need to quickly keep moving. It seems like a map where it will be hard to sit still and build up armies slowly.

There aren't that many problems at all... I was kind of reaching for them in the first place. Have you played it yet?

Really? No mountains in Brazil? Not even in the west? Huh. Live and learn.
Colonel ZawBanjito

Postby max is gr8 on Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:06 pm

What editor are you using i'm using paint still :( :cry: :( :cry: :( :cry:

i know i am going oveer the top but it is so rubbish
Corporal max is gr8

Slums

Postby Pedronicus on Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:31 pm

Where are the slums?
Major Pedronicus

Slums

Postby Marvaddin on Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:47 pm

Why are you so interested? Do you want to live in Brazilian slum? If so, I can design one specially to you... And I can add a dog house if you want to bring someone else.

:evil: :evil: :evil: Stop to joke my country. I never ofended any one here. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Major Marvaddin

Postby oman on Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:33 pm

LET ME PLAY :mrgreen:
Hippi's rule!
Cook oman

Re: Slums

Postby Itrade on Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:21 pm

Marvaddin wrote:Why are you so interested? Do you want to live in Brazilian slum? If so, I can design one specially to you... And I can add a dog house if you want to bring someone else.

:evil: :evil: :evil: Stop to joke my country. I never ofended any one here. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I don't think he was aiming to offend you, it's just that Brazil is stereotyped by the media as having slums and rainforests and such.

About the map, I think you definately need tighter borders. In Asia you've got mountains and the ocean (And the great wall), which makes it very interesting. In classic you've got lots of oceans and in USA it's broken apart into pieces (Although I've never played that map).

I don't know how to fix it, really, since perhaps it'd be interesting to play a barrierless map, but if you want brazil to be more "normal" then you're definately going to have to work on those barriers.
Image My set is a bone coat-of-arms and chandelier! How cool is that?
Sergeant Itrade

Postby Marvaddin on Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:53 pm

Yes, I agree. But the countries are mainly based in city groups, not natural events. Anyway, I will put some "barricades", or "non-attacking frontiers"; the only difference is the lack of reality, which is a mere appeal. The question is: where to put these barricades? I want your suggestions.
Major Marvaddin

Postby hockeycapn on Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:29 am

I'm impressed with it. I'd love to play.
Corporal hockeycapn

Postby supermarcol on Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:49 pm

I think it looks like it will work very good. Maybe some balancing issues to fix, but overall it feels good. You should try playing a bit on it with friends or something. You'll get some good feedback. keep up the good work!
-SuperMarcol
Sergeant 1st Class supermarcol

Postby thegrimsleeper on Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:07 pm

Maybe you could use the eastern edge of the Amazon Basin or Rainforest as a barricade? I would suggest using the Amazon River itself to break it up a bit, but that would involve restructuring your borders to make any real sense.
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby Marvaddin on Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:12 am

Thanks, guys, for the good comments.

Supermarcol, I really expect some good feedback... and I will study classic map (winner formule) to make some decisions, too.

Thegrimsleeper, thanks for the suggestion, but I already thought about it (by the way, Im the Brazilian here :wink: ). As you say, "that would involve restructuring borders", really drastic restructuring... that is (in my map) a frontier inside a continent, not between continents, which is my target... But I dont worry about it. I know the barricades will be artificial, but Im thinking about a much more important thing, the playability. Im really worried about that. If its good, the map is a sucess, and certain lack of reality doesnt matters, I think.

More opinions please. And I really would like to know what LackAttack thinks about my map.
Major Marvaddin

Postby Itrade on Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:55 am

I say you make Mato Grasso the big continent with all the countries instead of Central Axis. Northeast is like South America.

Also, make South like Australia with only one entry from one continent.

Those are just my thoughts, it looks interesting to play on the way it is, though.
Image My set is a bone coat-of-arms and chandelier! How cool is that?
Sergeant Itrade

Postby max is gr8 on Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:01 pm

let me play
Corporal max is gr8

Postby Romber on Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:09 pm

This may of been answered already but it looks like Xingu can attack Aripuana. It look like it shouldnt be the case. But I could be wrong
I AM TEH RUST
Cadet Romber

Postby Marvaddin on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:23 pm

Yeah, this was a legal attack... was, because Im designing a barrier there. Its impossible hold Mato Grosso as in this map version.
Major Marvaddin

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:28 am

Are we ever going to get a version 2 of this map now that Marvaddin has finished phillipines?

I find it amusing that the Middle East and this thread were at the bottom of map foundry.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby reverend_kyle on Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:56 am

gavin_sidhu wrote:Are we ever going to get a version 2 of this map now that Marvaddin has finished phillipines?

I find it amusing that the Middle East and this thread were at the bottom of map foundry.

NO! we dont want no stinking version 2.. I am undefeated on this one... he doesnt need to go changing shit.. plus.. I like the simplicity of it.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:45 pm

reverend_kyle wrote:
gavin_sidhu wrote:Are we ever going to get a version 2 of this map now that Marvaddin has finished phillipines?

NO! we dont want no stinking version 2.. I am undefeated on this one... he doesnt need to go changing shit.. plus.. I like the simplicity of it.

Im talking about visuals not country and continent layout. So if the layout of the country and continents are the same, you shouldnt have any trouble keeping your undefeated record in it. I am also undefeated in Brazil from the 1 game i have played.

Im sure marvaddin can keep it simple and make it look better, he can get rid of the background and use a uniform coloured one, it would look better and simpler. He could also smoothen up the border lines to make it simpler and more beautiful.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby reverend_kyle on Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:12 am

gavin_sidhu wrote:
reverend_kyle wrote:

Im talking about visuals not country and continent layout. So if the layout of the country and continents are the same, you shouldnt have any trouble keeping your undefeated record in it. I am also undefeated in Brazil from the 1 game i have played.

Im sure marvaddin can keep it simple and make it look better, he can get rid of the background and use a uniform coloured one, it would look better and simpler. He could also smoothen up the border lines to make it simpler and more beautiful.

I like the look... Its simple. No mountains to try and impress..

I'm like 8 or 9 and 0 on it.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Marvaddin on Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:34 am

I could do it better, but I think I cant for now. I have already 3 projects: South America, going slowly, Onbekende Belgium map and a secret project :wink: But the college is troubling me...
Major Marvaddin

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas