Conquer Club

Classic 2.0 (v11)--56 Territories--PAGE 12 [Abandoned]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Any Interest?

Total votes : 0

Postby bryguy on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:52 am

heres what i think should be added (sorry kap but i got to be a pain :twisted: )

Easter Islands
Bermuda
Denmark
New Zealand
and last but not least!!

DISNEY WORLD!!!!!!
Corporal bryguy

Postby Kaplowitz on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:43 am

Im thinking of completely re-doing the graphics for nicer borders. I guess i could add New Zealand. To make it more different from Classic, i could take out Madagascar. :idea:
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby premio53 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:34 am

Kaplowitz wrote:Im thinking of completely re-doing the graphics for nicer borders. I guess i could add New Zealand. To make it more different from Classic, i could take out Madagascar. :idea:

I understand your not wanting to have an odd number of territories but you could actually add 8 more territories without excessively cluttering up the map and make it 64 total. Possibly.

1. New Zealand
2. Southeast United States
3. Uruguay
4. Germany (as opposed to just Northern Europe)
5. Poland
6. Korea
7. Ethiopia (as opposed to Eastern Africa)
8. Kenya
Lieutenant premio53

Postby Risktaker17 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:44 am

I think it looks bad visually but I think that the bonuses and terrs are good. It looks mishappen, and messed up and the colors are weird
Highest place: 40 1/17/08
Highest point total: 2773 1/17/08
Top Poster Position: 97th
Captain Risktaker17

Postby Kaplowitz on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:09 pm

premio53 wrote:
Kaplowitz wrote:Im thinking of completely re-doing the graphics for nicer borders. I guess i could add New Zealand. To make it more different from Classic, i could take out Madagascar. :idea:

I understand your not wanting to have an odd number of territories but you could actually add 8 more territories without excessively cluttering up the map and make it 64 total. Possibly.

1. New Zealand
3. Uruguay
5. Poland
6. Korea
8. Kenya

I already have Korea. I could add those. I'm going to add New Zealand, and im considering taking out Madagascar as it doesnt do much anyway.

When i get the time, maybe Wednesday im going to re draw the whole map.

Postby iancanton on Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:34 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:
premio53 wrote:I understand your not wanting to have an odd number of territories but you could actually add 8 more territories without excessively cluttering up the map and make it 64 total. Possibly.

1. New Zealand
3. Uruguay
5. Poland
6. Korea
8. Kenya

I already have Korea. I could add those. I'm going to add New Zealand, and im considering taking out Madagascar as it doesnt do much anyway.

ur map is called classic 2.0, so it's supposed to have gameplay that's similar to classic, in other words three small continents and three large ones. instead, what seems to have happened is that random territories have been added here and there on the basis of "here's a space, so let's fill it with an island, then connect the continents on each side". the result is that we've ended up with six continents of roughly comparable size and all much more connected to each other than they ought to be.

south america works well as a small continent with four territories and two borders, so please delete galapagos, falklands, chile and colombia.

australia has also lost its unique character because of a second border being added. i think u were right originally not to include new zealand because the continent of australia will be too big.

the continent from classic that is most in need of revision is europe. u've made a good start in splitting up scandinavia. premio53 has sensibly suggested splitting northern europe into germany and poland. my proposal is additionally to split western europe into spain, france and benelux and split southern europe into italy, balkans and central europe.

if u agree then, to help u with the borders:
benelux is belgium, netherlands and luxembourg;
balkans is greece, albania, the former yugoslavia, romania, bulgaria and european turkey and
central europe, for our purposes, is switzerland, austria, hungary, czech republic and slovakia.

http://www.fedee.com/maps/europemap.html

if u need to remove any more territories to allow for the increased number of european countries (i've already given four south american territories as an example), then ur suggestion of madagascar is good. keep africa as a small continent.

ian. :)
Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:19 pm

unfortunately Ian, i just finished a huge graphics revamp, and i want to post that before i get to your post. I will read it all when i have some time, possibly in a couple of minutes- but maybe in a couple of days.

Postby iancanton on Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:23 pm

i'm sure ur new graphics will be an improvement, as the artwork on the original board game was pretty dodgy!

Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:34 pm

REVAMP!
-switched colors of Europe and Asia
-Added New Zealand :roll:
-Took out Madagascar to keep 56 territories

Kept the same theme...just made it nicer. Stay with this style or not?

iancanton wrote:
Kaplowitz wrote:
premio53 wrote:I understand your not wanting to have an odd number of territories but you could actually add 8 more territories without excessively cluttering up the map and make it 64 total. Possibly.

1. New Zealand
3. Uruguay
5. Poland
6. Korea
8. Kenya

ur map is called classic 2.0, so it's supposed to have gameplay that's similar to classic I dont think it needs to be SO similar to Classic ;). In fact i think that there should be certain spots where it is different. Kind of the same place- but different game play., in other words three small continents and three large ones. instead, what seems to have happened is that random territories have been added here and there on the basis of "here's a space, so let's fill it with an island, then connect the continents on each side". the result is that we've ended up with six continents of roughly comparable size and all much more connected to each other than they ought to be.

south america works well as a small continent with four territories and two borders, so please delete galapagos, falklands, chile and colombia. True, but everything has a couple more so i think that it is fine with some of these and maybe i can take a few out. I think it is OK because Africa has became so hard to hold that it is really for mobility.

australia has also lost its unique character because of a second border being added. i think u were right originally not to include new zealand because the continent of australia will be too big. I really dont like New Zealand, but so many people wanted it....and i would love to delete it.

the continent from classic that is most in need of revision is europe. u've made a good start in splitting up scandinavia. premio53 has sensibly suggested splitting northern europe into germany and poland. my proposal is additionally to split western europe into spain, france and benelux and split southern europe into italy, balkans and central europe.

if u agree then, to help u with the borders:
benelux is belgium, netherlands and luxembourg;
balkans is greece, albania, the former yugoslavia, romania, bulgaria and european turkey and
central europe, for our purposes, is switzerland, austria, hungary, czech republic and slovakia.

Europe is seeming very cramped with all of these additions! I will take out Colombia from SA, (and maybe New Zealand!) and add two of these suggestons.

http://www.fedee.com/maps/europemap.html

if u need to remove any more territories to allow for the increased number of european countries (i've already given four south american territories as an example), then ur suggestion of madagascar is good. keep africa as a small continent.

Thanks! These are all great suggestions because unlike some others- they have very strong support and will DEFINATELY be considered and most likely added.
:P

Postby Lone.prophet on Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:12 am

the borders dont look nice try making them te same as the continent bordes and about new zeeland, the place is a bit weird
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby bryguy on Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:30 am

Lone.prophet wrote:the borders dont look nice try making them te same as the continent bordes and about new zeeland, the place is a bit weird

i agree with all that but the thing about new zealand [-(
Corporal bryguy

Postby Lone.prophet on Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:51 am

how so it is placed on the east side in most map projectios
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby iancanton on Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:58 pm

premio53 wrote:2. Southeast United States
8. Kenya

the idea of more usa territories is excellent because many cc players live there, so it adds interest. rather than southeast united states, how about well-known states like texas (bordering eastern usa, western usa and central america) and california (bordering hawaii, western usa and central america and breaking the attack route between hawaii and western usa)?

i'm not in favour of adding ethiopia or kenya. we have only three smallish continents, so let's keep africa small. in fact, if we add a territory or two in the usa, then we can merge sahara desert into north africa to make africa a holdable five-territory four-border continent. if we need more room for europe and asia, then shrink africa accordingly. as an added wrinkle, is a -1 decay justified for holding east africa because of famine (like the dust bowl map)? i suspect that most people will want to keep the original simple gameplay of classic, but i thought i'd throw that idea into the mix.

korea has a border with china and kamchatka, but not with mongolia.

http://www.atlapedia.com/online/maps/po ... ea_etc.htm

in v6, the new, flatter blue colour for the sea works well.

Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby premio53 on Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:00 pm

iancanton wrote:
premio53 wrote:2. Southeast United States
8. Kenya

the idea of more usa territories is excellent because many cc players live there, so it adds interest. rather than southeast united states, how about well-known states like texas (bordering eastern usa, western usa and central america) and california (bordering hawaii, western usa and central america and breaking the attack route between hawaii and western usa)?

i'm not in favour of adding ethiopia or kenya. we have only three smallish continents, so let's keep africa small. in fact, if we add a territory or two in the usa, then we can merge sahara desert into north africa to make africa a holdable five-territory four-border continent. if we need more room for europe and asia, then shrink africa accordingly. as an added wrinkle, is a -1 decay justified for holding east africa because of famine (like the dust bowl map)? i suspect that most people will want to keep the original simple gameplay of classic, but i thought i'd throw that idea into the mix.

korea has a border with china and kamchatka, but not with mongolia.

http://www.atlapedia.com/online/maps/po ... ea_etc.htm

in v6, the new, flatter blue colour for the sea works well.

Not bad ideas though the 1 decay thing I would not like. If he expanded it to 64 territories it would be playable for 7 or 8 opponents.
Lieutenant premio53

Postby Kaplowitz on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:41 pm

I dont want 64 becuase then it will be too cramped, i am going to change the territories tho. ill probably update this weekend.

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:13 pm

v7

-Removed: Columbia, Western Europe, Chile
-Added: California, Iberia, France
-Changed borders of Mongolia so that Korea connects to Kamchatka rather than Mongolia.
-Added connection from China to Korea.

Any bonus ideas?

Classic bonuses +1?

Postby MrBenn on Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:58 pm

If possible, I'd try and put New Zealand on the other side of the map, next to Austrailia.... It just looks a little bit strange and disconnected... If you keep it where it is, I would suggest that there should be a link to South America there too...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:03 pm

the width is already 800, so i can either downsize the map or move Australia over. I dont want it connected to SA because i want the map similar to Classic but with more territories.

Postby premio53 on Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:25 pm

MrBenn wrote:If possible, I'd try and put New Zealand on the other side of the map, next to Austrailia.... It just looks a little bit strange and disconnected... If you keep it where it is, I would suggest that there should be a link to South America there too...

I agree that New Zealand does look strange here. It could be put back to the right of Australia without adding attacking lines to South America. Overall I like the map very much. As far as bonuses, adding one extra army for each continent compared to the original sounds reasonable.
Lieutenant premio53

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:40 pm

It now has the required stuff.

The ideas stamps is required for a map thread to be moved from the ideas forum to the main foundry. To earn this stamp you must meet the following conditions:[list]1)The map, first and for most, must have some sort of clear plan of how production will go

2) Have a playable image. If we quenched it people should be able toplay on it. Ths should included the following:

* Territory names
* Working legends
* Speculative Bonuses
* Tentative Border Divisions

3) The working image needs to be beyond rough draft state. This means that you must provide the following:

* A working image done in some kind of graphic software. Pencil drawn images and images done on paint will not be accpected.
* Two quality updates must be provided.

4) Have honest and interested discussion. Not just you and three friends.

-Moved New Zealand
-Added Key

Postby Elijah S on Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:03 am

I like this map and think it would be one that would rival the original Classic in popularity.
The one thing I suggest here is going with the antiquated feel of the design by placing it on parchment. -Could give it something!
Sergeant 1st Class Elijah S

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:52 pm

That could be interesting, the only problem with that is there are already a bunch of maps using that style. I would try it though, to see how it looks.

Postby Splash_x on Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:52 pm

The idea is pretty cool. ... The coloring is nice...

The text is a bit strange... and the continents... (no offence) crappy
Sergeant 1st Class Splash_x

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:10 pm

Splash_x wrote:The idea is pretty cool. ... The coloring is nice...

no offense taken :P Can you explain more so that i can fix that?

Postby bryguy on Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:13 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:
Splash_x wrote:The idea is pretty cool. ... The coloring is nice...

no offense taken :P Can you explain more so that i can fix that?

dont make crappy continents :lol:
Corporal bryguy

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas