Conquer Club

Map of Minnesota [Abandoned]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Map of Minnesota [Abandoned]

Postby hotgun on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:56 pm

Here it is...

Me and cybertech have been working on this for about a week I think... I think I am the person doing he xml... but I got lost... if anyone wants to do the xml for me I would love it...

Tell us what you think... I hope to get to play this map on this website soon...

~Hotgun~
~Cybertech~
Corporal 1st Class hotgun

Postby cybertech on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:04 pm

Yeah i did the graphics and i would like any comments or opinions that you guys wish to provide :D

well i hope to get it playable by next weekend :D

I also am wondering how i can easly find the x and y i have PS so if anyone knows how to find it easy that would make it go faster :D
~CT~
Corporal cybertech

Postby cheese man on Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:16 am

it looks quite good. is it meant to be in texas?
ding dong dang
me is crazy

cheese man
Private 1st Class cheese man

Postby cybertech on Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:23 am

no its the state Minnesota in the USA (its the farthest north of the 48 states) me and a few other players live in Minnesota so i wanted to make a map of it

Some stats: (so Marv doesnt have to post them :D )
42 Countys/Countries
5 "continents"/sections
8.4 countys per section
i am using photoshop so if there is any graphic sugestions i would love it (i am fairly new to ps )
~CT~
Corporal cybertech

Postby qeee1 on Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:57 am

Hmm... firstly seems a little tall, maybe that's just because I've a smaller screen size than most, but I don't like having to scroll up and down to view the entire map.

Secondly I don't like the white background... though that may just be a personal preference.

Gameplay wise... I'm not sure... it seems like the fighting will all be very concentrated in the metro area... and whoever gains southeast early has a very large advantage, considering the other teritories are so hard to hold.
Colonel qeee1

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:15 pm

It's a pretty good map, but as stated earlier does seem like some of the continents are hard to hold. I am not really a fan of the "state" maps. The interest in them doesn't seem to be as big as larger geographical regions. But I'm sure people would still play, but I'm still waiting for people to make some more unique and futuristic perhaps maps.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Marvaddin on Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:34 pm

Im not a state maps fan, either. I could do a map of my city, or of my borough, but who cares? Anyway, you should do the continent-by-continent analysis, as I did many times, so I hope you can find some little problems... without I have to post them. :D
Major Marvaddin

Postby cybertech on Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:05 am

ok so there has been two major complants:
1. its a state map
well i know its very selective but i was thinking it would be awesome to play on due to its awesome shape and sweet sections (i also want to have it cause its what i call home and i know of many from MN on conquerclub)

2. the metro is too hard to keep
okay to start off i kinda wanted a tougherb map so people wouldnt hold a place and then quickly dominate all others. now i know it is easy to hold the southeast so what would you guys think if i made a crossing point from southeast to southwest and delete a connection from southwest to the metro?

any ideas would be great
and do you guys "reject or accept" the map once i make the changes suggested?
~CT~
Corporal cybertech

Postby thegrimsleeper on Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:55 am

Well, I don't see this map getting any play by anyone who doesn't live in Minnesota. I mean, outside of people who live in that area, who really cares about taking over some little land-locked state in the middle of any given continent?

Look, I could make a map of my sock drawer, but the only person interested in that would be my left foot.
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby Machiavelli on Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:56 pm

I agree that it wont be played much but I think that it deserves to be on Conquer Club more than that crossword puzzle map. I think it looks pretty good. And no, I am not from Minnisota
Sergeant Machiavelli

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:56 pm

Perhaps once CC becomes more diverse there will be a bunch of different map categories. "Specific Country/State Maps", "Regional Maps", "World Maps", and "Miscellaneous" (for lack of a better term).

Then all the quality made maps still can have their respective places at CC.

--Andy

nice

Postby panthers_freak on Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:51 pm

I actually would love to see more state maps....it gives friends a chance to competitive over their state.....lol.....btw great idea!
Cadet panthers_freak

Postby hotgun on Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:28 pm

we have been working a ton on the xml... I don't know when we will be done... dose anyone think anything needs to change???
Corporal 1st Class hotgun

Postby hockeycapn on Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:13 pm

I think there should be a bridge between Freeborn and Martin, it would make the SE a little harder to get hold of.
"So much the better, we shall fight in the shade." -Dienekes
Corporal hockeycapn

Postby Marvaddin on Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:20 pm

I cant belive you are asking...

You NEED do continent-by-continent analysis... and then discover, for example, that Southeast is very easy to hold. I will not do the analysis this time, but if you are interested in having someone else playing your map, you should do. Put the analysis here and I will comment.
Major Marvaddin

Postby cybertech on Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:48 pm

Okay the analysis:
Northwest:
6 border countys, 11 total countys, bonus 7
6 out of 11 touch other countys
percent: 54.5
Northeast:
4 border countys, 7 total countys, bonus 5
4 out of 7 touch other countys
percent: 57.1
Metro:
4 border countys, 6 countys, bonus 4
4 out of 6 touch other countys
percent: 66.6
Southeast:
2 border countys, 8 countys, bonus 3
2 out of 8 touch other countys
percent: 25.0
Southwest:
4 border countys, 10 countys, bonus 6
4 out of 10 touch other countys
percent: 40.0

okay so after this analysis i have figured i should make southeast harder to hold by adding one or maybe two connections, make the metro easyer to hold by dropping a connection, make one less connection on the Northeast, and add a connection in the Southwest. what do you think?

I am aiming for the 50.0 percent if you think thats too odd just tell me
~CT~
Corporal cybertech

Postby cybertech on Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:52 pm

okay well here is the updated image...
the first version:
the second version:
~CT~
Corporal cybertech

Postby Marvaddin on Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:53 pm

You always need to analyse the number of attack routes, too. Sometimes two border countries are connected to only one country of the other continent, so its a primary target, it makes the continent much easier to hold. In other cases, its more difficult than it seems. Europe, for example, has 4 border countries and can be attacked from 6 places. So, number of borders isnt THAT important.

Well...
Northwest: no reason for the connection between Wilkin and Stevens. 5 border countries are a good number, even to a 7 bonus.
Northeast: it seems good, but if you want drop a connection, the better one is Aitkin / Cass. 5 is a high bonus. It should be 4 at maximum, maybe 3 (if you drop the connection)... Hmm, 4 is better.
Metro: I suggest you drop the connections: Chisago (is this name right?) / Pine and Dakota / Rice. Its connected to all other continents, so 4 is a good bonus.
Southeast: it really needs be more difficult; I suggest a connection between Steele and Martin. After that, bonus of 4.
Southwest: drop routes from Stevens, and add Martin as a border country. After that, hmm, I dont know. The bonus should be between 5 and 6...

Thats it.

EDIT: I hadnt seen the updated version, I was writing about the ancient one. But you did almost all I suggested. :wink:
Major Marvaddin

Postby cybertech on Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:08 pm

Marvaddin wrote:You always need to analyse the number of attack routes, too. Sometimes two border countries are connected to only one country of the other continent, so its a primary target, it makes the continent much easier to hold. In other cases, its more difficult than it seems. Europe, for example, has 4 border countries and can be attacked from 6 places. So, number of borders isnt THAT important.

Well...
Northwest: no reason for the connection between Wilkin and Stevens. 5 border countries are a good number, even to a 7 bonus.
Northeast: it seems good, but if you want drop a connection, the better one is Aitkin / Cass. 5 is a high bonus. It should be 4 at maximum, maybe 3 (if you drop the connection)... Hmm, 4 is better.
Metro: I suggest you drop the connections: Chisago (is this name right?) / Pine and Dakota / Rice. Its connected to all other continents, so 4 is a good bonus.
Southeast: it really needs be more difficult; I suggest a connection between Steele and Martin. After that, bonus of 4.
Southwest: drop routes from Stevens, and add Martin as a border country. After that, hmm, I dont know. The bonus should be between 5 and 6...

Thats it.

EDIT: I hadnt seen the updated version, I was writing about the ancient one. But you did almost all I suggested. :wink:

yes Chisago is the actual name (its native american)
okay i made the changes you suggested anything else you guys want changed?

~CT~
Corporal cybertech

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm

I've just one suggestion...but you've maybe already had it planned out. I'm not a fan of the white background. I'd be nice to have some texture or depth of color to it. And maybe a little more texture and feel to the countries, but otherwise I think it looks pretty playable.

--Andy

Postby cybertech on Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:37 pm

yeah i am planning to add something to the background not exactly sure what yet but i plan on that. hmmmm about the texture in the countys i feel that may be hard to see some of the numbers then but i can try it
~CT~
Corporal cybertech

Postby cybertech on Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:14 pm

okay well we finished up the XML and i will be adding a background right now........

okay here is it with a background... what do you guys think?
~CT~
Corporal cybertech

More Power to ya...

Postby Scarus on Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:05 pm

thegrimsleeper wrote:
Look, I could make a map of my sock drawer, but the only person interested in that would be my left foot.

I think it's great that Hotgun has the time and interest to do this, but ya, It'll never get played. Even if there were 6 players from Minnesota here who had some interest in the game, they're not going to want to keep playing each other over and over....lol

When I saw this thread my first thought was there must still be a lot of snow on the ground up there for these guys to be so involved with this...lol

I had to come see who would get in the best punch lines and was promptly rewarded by Grim's post.....lol

gl Hotgun!!!

Scarus
Been playing Risk for a bit

Proud Member of xiGames, where Friends Kill Friends, with Honor
Sergeant 1st Class Scarus

Postby Jota on Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:10 pm

I dunno, I think a lot of folks will try it at least once or twice. If it turns out to be a really interesting map mechanically, then I'm sure some people will keep using it. And even if it's just average, I'd still expect it to pop up periodically when someone gets bored with the others.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby thegrimsleeper on Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:59 pm

cybertech-- using Photoshop?
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas